Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Petition to Prioritise the Ring Road over the Central Access Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

linny wrote: »
    great news from the high court, the injunction on both bridges has been lifted, and work can proceed again

In your opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

pegasus1 wrote: »
    In your opinion...

yes and everyone I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wish I could get as enthusiastic and excited about an ugly bridge. Still, whatever does it for you I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

€559.000 the protesters, Christopher o keefe and the 5 councillors should hang there heads in shame, I just hope the council go for costs
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/RSS_Latest_Updates/Press-Release-re-High-Court-Injunction.html

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

If you believe all the council spin re the cost I really think you should do some research. This council cannot be trusted. The have been involved in creative accounting for years. Just look at the bridge down stream that over ran budget by 50% and then claimed that the original figure quoted wasn't for the full bridge.

Cowboys ted.

www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/new-bridge-to-open-next-thursday-at-a-cost-of-600-000-1-5821264

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Keep in mind that the council ordered the wrong bridge too.

Even our esteemed Mayor castigated the eventual outcome.

And where's our guarantee that the overpass is going to be any different?

Threadhead wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the council ordered the wrong bridge too.

Even our esteemed Mayor castigated the eventual outcome.

And where's our guarantee that the overpass is going to be any different?

So the council over spent by 50% and built a bridge that wasn't agreed. The mind boggles how these people still have jobs. If that was the private sector their would be sackings.

Just goes to show the council cannot be trusted and our city will live with these mistakes for ever.

An remember these are the guys that are developing the CAS bridge, the brewery site.

These are also the guys that developed Carlow. Look how that turned out.

Also I read from that article that the designer for the pedestrian bridge is also responsible for the preliminary CAS design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

It is a sad day for Kilkenny City. though there is a percentage who will rejoice
    at the outcome, others will weep for our beautiful city.
    However stand back and look at the situation, my theory of closing Rose Inn Street would clog up the High Street, more than it is today.
    The plain fact is we need a bridge, whether where it is going or not really is not the matter, putting it where the council have deemed; our non experts
    have gone down a road predicting traffic chaos, I think any fair minded person would agree, this is going to become more acute as the development of the brewery site begins, just think of the mobile cranes, caterpillers and the such coming through Irish Town, shudder the thought.
    However: in twenty years our democratically elected council have failed to complete the ring road, probably a record of incompetence.
    So now a rather dodgy quick decision has been made; one still wonders why?
    But; there is another side to this if the ring road was completed where was the bridge going to go; to make it viable, yes it is easy to make a crossing from the north side, hang around what road exists on the south side for traffic, the 695 from Ballycallan, it is a desperate road at the best of times.
    We are stuck, they never finished the ring after the Callan roundabout, twenty years ago, gross negligence perhaps.
    So to complete the ring we need two roads and a bridge, how long would that take.?
    Kilkenny's problem is dire, we have building traffic, a new development they took the easy way, maybe not for our benefit, we wonder whose?
    The brutal truth is we need a bridge and we are getting one quickly so that we can preserve poor old Green's Bridge one hopes.
    R.I.P. Kilkenny

If it is true that the wrong pedestrian bridge was supplied as suggested by Councillor McGuiness, surely there is a few legal problems to sort out.
    Who signed the bridge off, which member of the council, there must be a requirement that the public interests is protected, this cannot be so if Cllr Macguiness has pointed out.
    Can the Council now demand that the company who provided the bridge replace it with what was ordered at no cost whatsoever to the council?
    Presumably that company concerned can be sued for damages and also the council member who signed the bridge off.
    Such matters cannot be swept under the carpet, where is so called transparency?
    Foxy

If it is true that the wrong pedestrian bridge was supplied as suggested by Councillor McGuiness, surely there is a few legal problems to sort out.
    Who signed the bridge off, which member of the council, there must be a requirement that the public interests is protected, this cannot be so if Cllr Macguiness has pointed out.
    Can the Council now demand that the company who provided the bridge replace it with what was ordered at no cost whatsoever to the council?
    Presumably that company concerned can be sued for damages and also the council member who signed the bridge off.
    Such matters cannot be swept under the carpet, where is so called transparency?
    Foxy

It's the council, they are blameless unless they have someone external to blame. I bet that the CAS bridge will come in on budget from the Council side. All overruns will be blamed on those that oppose the bridge.

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    It's the council, they are blameless unless they have someone external to blame. I bet that the CAS bridge will come in on budget from the Council side. All overruns will be blamed on those that oppose the bridge.

Surley the injunction was started because the buliders used unwashed stone --thereby polluting the river with tons of lime dust, this stuff if fish had come in contact with would be starved of oxygen and die..not to mention the nore mussel..which use trout not salmon for the mussel larve to attach to so that the mussel colony can spread... So the blame would be the builders...oh i saw no security anytime i passed by the ossary bridge on the canal walk, walking the dog
    A site like the cas needs to have 24hr security anyway!

Surley the injunction was started because the buliders used unwashed stone --thereby polluting the river with tons of lime dust, this stuff if fish had come in contact with would be starved of oxygen and die..not to mention the nore mussel..which use trout not salmon for the mussel larve to attach to so that the mussel colony can spread... So the blame would be the builders...oh i saw no security anytime i passed by the ossary bridge on the canal walk, walking the dog

Your 100% right but look at the council press release. They blame the protest for everything. It's total spin by them.

Hang about the council would have specified the type of stone to be used, whether washed or unwashed, now can any one get a look at the specs, we might have a legal case against the builders or rather the council will have to take action. Is there an Auditor General that one can complain too?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

DISAGREE - ITS NOT THE BUILDERS FAULT - THE CONTRACTOR WILL ONLY PROVIDE AGGREGATES ACCORDING TO WHAT HAS BEEN SPECIFIED IN THE CONTRACT DOCUMENTS(AS PROVIDED BY THE CLIENT) - HIGHLY UNLIKELY(THOUGH NOT IMPOSSIBLE) THAT ANY REPUTABLE CONTRACTOR WOULD DEVIATE FROM SUCH

The council go on about wasting money. Do people think that our councillors deserve this type golden handshake?

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/councillor-gratuities-2014-30586475.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The council go on about wasting money. Do people think that our councillors deserve this type golden handshake?

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/councillor-gratuities-2014-30586475.html

Bit much for the council to claim the protesters have wasted money when they are wasting it in this fashion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Certainly not shy in Kilkenny anyway.

I do believe that the council is taking the pith.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Almost €540,000 in total. Absolutley crazy, seen as these were the same councillors harping on about the need for more social housing and services for the people of Kilkenny yet they have no problem taking taxpayers money because they could not get re-elected.
    This country is an absolute joke.

these are the people who dumped the CAS on us, people who were once held in high esteem, their reputations are now zilch, I no longer have any respect for the unelected.
    Foxy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

There yiz are now, getting not one but two lovely new bridges, and are ye happy? Meanwhile, across the border, in the county that time (and everyone else) forgot, what have we, feck all. :rolleyes:

PS Hope Liam finds his way home.

Rantan wrote: »
    DISAGREE - ITS NOT THE BUILDERS FAULT - THE CONTRACTOR WILL ONLY PROVIDE AGGREGATES ACCORDING TO WHAT HAS BEEN SPECIFIED IN THE CONTRACT DOCUMENTS(AS PROVIDED BY THE CLIENT) - HIGHLY UNLIKELY(THOUGH NOT IMPOSSIBLE) THAT ANY REPUTABLE CONTRACTOR WOULD DEVIATE FROM SUCH

Eh the design for the pedestrian bridge already finished is different to the one that the council agreed on...so this same builder isnt reputable then..hmmm

Who was the contractor for the Lady Dysart bridge?

Okay if the pedestrian bridge is not what was ordered, what action is being taken to rectify this and who was the nincompoop who signed the bridge off?
    Looks like we need some positive action.

Who was the contractor for the Lady Dysart bridge?

I stand corrected, contractor for the pedestroan bridge was meic ltd..
    http://http://www.meicltd.com/project.php?ID=53

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

bridge built bridge is certainly similar, but its certainly not the same design as proposed.

- The bars running across the built bridge are round, the design they are square.
    - Different colour
    - Railings across the bridge are different to those proposed

If they can't be trusted to built what was supposed to be the final design, how can we trust them with anything else?

Also, one thing I noticed is this image...spot the CAS bridge in the background
    Shows how sure the council are of themselves that they'd get to build it....esp considering this was a design brief back in 2012.

322505.jpg

Okay if the pedestrian bridge is not what was ordered, what action is being taken to rectify this and who was the nincompoop who signed the bridge off?
    Looks like we need some positive action.

- No action is being taken
    - Nobody will be reprimanded for it

You have to remember that this is the same council that took the side off of Greens Bridge in 1969 as a temporary job when they put up the ugly railings and then never restored it back.

They claim the valuable stone was eventually stolen,

So when it comes to bridges their track record is awful,
    They can neither built what was supposed to be built and they can't finish work they started on a bridge, even 40 years later.

This bridge is in Trim, even this looks better the the ugly generic CAS bridge

image048.jpg

• Advertisement

I have seen images of the scale model that was done...unsure of whether i can show it..will find out..bridge in it looks huge and flat, totally out of place with it even being wider than the ossary bridge..with no direct link to the ring rd either side...so so stupid of an idea...

Advertisement