Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MATCH THREAD: Connacht vs Leinster, 19th Sept 2014 19:35, The Sportgroud, TG4

Options

Comments

Can never begrudge Connacht. No better team to lose to.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Well deserved win for Connacht. I watched this with a friend who knows nothing about rugby and they remarked that Connacht had all the enerty and enthusiasm, and Leinster seemed to be just lumping around the pitch, with a few individuals doing some good things from time to time.

Leinster were rubbish - very disappointing, particularly after last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

What a win - Marmion and Buckley were immense and in the second half Muldoon, Kearney, Henshaw and McSharry were savage.

Niyi tries his heart out, really good to see, very committed

I hate to say it and I'm not trying to start something but the traveling Leinster fans were the worst fans I've ever come across.
    I was in the new section of the main stand and all I can describe them as was 'soccer fans'. Skinny yolks that probably never played rugby in their lives but are entitled to call Connacht boggers and cheats.
    The 2 lads behind me were the worst of the lot. Plenty of 'we will win the league anyways' and 'it is nice I suppose to see the Leinster castaways have their day lol'.

Maybe we just had the bad ones in the stand but Christ these were bad. The only good thing was they made the victory even sweeter.
    (I had a Munster fan with me by the way and he said he encounters plenty. Said there's a small but unfortunately growing pocket of Leinster fans like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Every province has their a-holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.ak wrote: »
    Every province has their a-holes.

This. I've experienced some at nearly every inter-pro I've been at. Get a few thousand people all in the same spot and you're bound to have a few bad eggs there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thankfully it is rare.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Zzippy wrote: »
    What a night, what a win. Electric atmosphere, great craic (as usual) with the Leinster travelling fans, tension, nerves and ultimately the win we craved. What a night...

A few thoughts... Denis Buckley is having a storming start to the season, not just in the tight but in the loose as well. Got on top in the scrum and was immense scrapping for possession in the ruck.

Kieran Marmion is swiftly overtaking all contenders for the Irish 21 jersey. If he continues as he's going he will be seeing plenty of gametime in the 6N and WC.

George is back to his best.

Pat Lam is doing a great job.

I'm slightly p1ssed.

Rhys Ruddock will get a lot of international caps. A sh1t load to be exact.

Devin Toner is a monster up close and in the lineout but he can't carry for sh1t. Unbelievably strong in the tackle though.

Rob Kearney must hate Galway.

We have the better coach.

We're top of the league. Did I mention that already?

I'm ever so slightly p1ssed...

322754.png

:D
    You're not the only one taking screenshots of the table. I think I'll be physically wallpapering my office on Monday with it.

Immense performance from Connacht, 1 to 23. All mistakes were dealt with (along with those who'd backed the spread) in the first 20 minutes and from then on it was a wonderous shut out. Carding aside, Muldoon showed exactly why he's back as captain.

I'd have to single out Marmion and I'm sure that Uncle Joe has made his mind up here so we're losing him to the November internationals. Big George as well is back to his best; he had no right to get the ball at the death when the scrum went wonkoid and put in a beasting on Kearney in the first half that I described at the time as being "right in the suntan".

Leinster need to think deeply about the Gopperth/Madigan 10/12 axis because it's plainly obvious that Madigan would prefer less telegraphing. Even when they were looking for a spark later on, nothing was coming to Madigan. Also D'arcy at 13 should be confined to one of those Gerry Thornley thought experiments that we'd rather forget about. Like Ed O'Donoghue.

Oh and Denis Buckley > Cian Healy. Y'all just haven't realised it yet for lack of PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭Buer

d-gal wrote: »
    I hate to say it and I'm not trying to start something but the traveling Leinster fans were the worst fans I've ever come across.
    I was in the new section of the main stand and all I can describe them as was 'soccer fans'. Skinny yolks that probably never played rugby in their lives but are entitled to call Connacht boggers and cheats.

Jayzus. Is that right? Go on. Go on.

Joe-Duffy.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Buer wrote: »
    Jayzus. Is that right? Go on. Go on.

Joe-Duffy.jpg
    It's Galway, so Keith Finnegan please.

For balance, I met some very nice Leinster fans in the pub and one was a very good Elvis impersonator.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

d-gal wrote: »

Espousing that someone isn't entitled to be a genuine rugby fan because of their physical make-up ("skinny yokes . . .") is just as bad IMO. Leinster fans over on my side were a relatively grand bunch. In fact, the way the two groupings of fans worked their chants off one another made for a better atmosphere. They seemed to take the defeat okay to me, mainly stunned silence as opposed to any arrogance like you've mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Every province has its dicks. Ive encountered leinster fans like this. Ive got some nasty abuse from munster fans too and there were some poor winners around galway last night. Majority of fans are sound and thats what it should be based on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

thelad95 wrote: »
    In the past, Connacht would win a game like this and then disappear until November but there is a bite and steel about them that's really impressing me. They should have lost both this week and last week yet here they are after three weeks, sitting top of the table.

I just hope they aren't given a reality check next week.

Completely agree. Certainly they have a much grittier edge to them this season and it's great to see.
    They just need to get the back line motoring better but I reckon Lam will manage that.
    However, they really need to cut down on the indiscipline. They killed themselves in the first half with all those penalties and they'll suffer badly away from home if they keep that up. Second half was much better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I'm a Leinster fan and I'm nice. :pac:

Seriously though congrats Connacht on a deserved win. I hope you are all terribly hungover, er I mean enjoyed your night. Lam is building something out there and it is honestly great to see. The league needs to be more competitive and Connacht are adding to it this year probably more than anyone else. I really hope you guys can kick on over the next few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ouch. My head!

Think d-gal was v unfortunate last nite, the Leinster fans near us were v gracious, and likewise in the pub later, really sound.

Did I mention my head hurts now? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Great victory and defintley a game Connacht would have lost other years. The second half was everything you'd hope to see from Connacht, gritty, determined and no shortage of good play.

But for me the winning of that game was the few minutes before half time when Leinster were camped on our line and we held them out against all the odds. The way the game was going a try conceded there might have been too much to recover from.

There was so many great performances, he made a bad mistake at the start of each half but I thought leader had a fine game, and Marmion, George, Muldoon and Buckley too were all great.

I thought the two moments with rob Kearney summed the second half up, the beautiful step by Marmion that left him on his arse and the huge tackle on him by mcsharry. Two epic moments. I didn't like kearneys attitude on the night anyway, seemed to spend a lot of time mouthing off at the ref and was involved in a few needless bits of pushing and shoving

I thought the two moments with rob Kearney summed the second half up, the beautiful step by Marmion that left him on his arse and the huge tackle on him by mcsharry. Two epic moments. I didn't like kearneys attitude on the night anyway, seemed to spend a lot of time mouthing off at the ref and was involved in a few needless bits of pushing and shoving

That was a great tackle! I really, really don't think Rob likes playing in Galway.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

That was a great tackle! I really, really don't think Rob likes playing in Galway.. :D

Since Henshaw sent him back into the stone age two years ago he especially doesnt!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Robbo wrote: »
    It's Galway, so Keith Finnegan please.

For balance, I met some very nice Leinster fans in the pub and one was a very good Elvis impersonator.
    "Lord Almighty I feel my temp'ature risin' ".....Laie_3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That's some try.

Sorry I missed the game, looked like edge of the seat stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Delighted with the win. But it was a tough watch. Great individual performances Marion Buckley Mcsharry and Henshaw were stand outs.
    I was delighted with our defence we didn't have the ball enough really show our attacking side. I was disappointed with Carty I'd say Ronaldson will start at 10 next week. I want to see a second row pair of Muldowney and Kearney. I haven't been impressed by Roux at all.
    I won't say anything about Lacey when you're at the match you see things differently than on tv. That aside Reddans feed into the scrum was crooked all night.

Winning ugly is a good sign so they say and top of the table so happy days.
    Oh and to the Leinster fans I chatted to it were a pleasure. Very gracious in defeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Still buzzing from that one... :D

Anyone else notice the TG4 commentator kept saying Muldooney rather than Muldowney? Or was I imagining that?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭mickc

Treadhead wrote: »
    Still buzzing from that one... :D

Anyone else notice the TG4 commentator kept saying Muldooney rather than Muldowney? Or was I imagining that?

Couldn't tell the difference between Muldoon and Muldowney and he was hedging his bets?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Killser

Flat, everything was flat, just blehhhh. Leinster, doesn't seem like we have much clue what we're at some of the time. Static gathering the ball, kicking with no real plan, slow ball from the base and no-one steering the ship. Regrettably, I cannot remember when I last watched Leinster and enjoyed the rugby - winning is brill, but playing good rugby is absolutely essential. Toward the end of the match when we were pushing for the drop, I started to shout on Connacht to keep us out, as it would have been utterly unfair for them to lose after such a display of grit and determination. Was delighted to see them get their just reward ( I don't mean that to sound condescending sorry, no offence meant)

As for us... I remain loyal as ever, but disillusioned, I want to see someone grab the team and shake the jaysus into them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Killser wrote: »
    Regrettably, I cannot remember when I last watched Leinster and enjoyed the rugby - winning is brill, but playing good rugby is absolutely essential.

You didn't enjoy the 42 point drubbing last week no? Hard man to please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

OK, having worked through the five stages of grief, I've finally arrived at acceptance and am ready to talk about it.

I'm attributing the Leinster defeat to a well-executed game plan by Connacht in the second half, coupled with an absolute collapse in on-field decision-making by Leinster which played right into Connacht hands.

Did Leinster deserve to win? No. Were they the better team over 80 minutes? Very possibly. Their dominance in the first half was almost total and the control and precision they exerted was almost exactly what critics of the MOC regime have been bemoaning as absent. Two TMO decisions, both correct by the looks of it, went against us but six inches the other direction on each and we could have turned around 20 points up at half-time instead of 6 and the game was over, but we failed to score when Muldoon was off the park and when Connacht won the scrum after Toner's TMO call, it gave Connacht great heart. Never give a sucker an even break - well Leinster gave Connacht plenty.

molloyjh has questioned what the Leinster coaches said at half time - I can't imagine it was anything more than "keep doing what you're doing", and if Leinster had done so, they'd have gone on to win. But Connacht came out with their tails up in a big way, they absolutely tore into Leinster, shooting up hard and fast every time and Leinster kept persisting with the little pop passes and inside balls that Connacht just devoured. We were getting nowhere fast but kept banging our heads against the wall.

Connacht got over their initial weakness in the set piece, it looked like being a very long night for their scrum but they righted the ship and that was massive. As Connacht gained cohesiveness, Leinster lost theirs; twice in the second half they got a rolling maul going within a couple of metres of the try line and twice they fluffed it. The second one was particularly bad, after doing the hard work they just inexplicably dropped the ball and Naoupu pounced. Twice in the second half, Kearney failed to find touch with hard-won penalties - once might be excusable if kicking into the wind, twice is not. The basic errors were just baffling.

I had said before the match that I didn't like Madigan at 12; normally I love being proved right but not last night, it was depressing to watch him and Gopperth taking turns at making the wrong call. D'Arcy is back; hopefully the 12 jersey is his with Reid providing the competition.

As for Connacht; well they defended like lions but lacked creativity going forward. But for a moment of magic from Marmion, they didn't look like scoring. Matt Healy looks like a real prospect but they need a bit more drive and sparkle in the backs; maybe Aki and Muiliana will bring it. That's not to take anything away from their victory but it's an honest analysis of their night.

So well done Connacht, a famous win, disappointing from Leinster but it was closer to a decent performance than a lot of fans on boards would have you think. A backlash against the Blues and a win against Munster will set things right; I think we'll see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭ouncer

Have two sentences ever been more contradictory? Leinster doesn't need people like you. Take your disillusion and wait for the next bandwagon to come along.

What did Leinster do wrong or Connacht do right. Its the typical problem. You are expected to win, the opposition are expected to lose. If I were to be particular I really think reddan ain't great. I said it a year ago that boss/marmion are go forward. Reddan is not great. While I bitched about coaching issue in Connacht, issue has moved to Leinster. Ye have a coaching issue lads. Very smug with my pat lam, the coach I crucified in many of my posts, but he has supplied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Issue? What issue?

Last year we won a consecutive Pro 12 and our 'A' team won the B&I cup. We made it to the Heineken Cup QF and lost to the eventual winners Toulon.

It's the third week into the Pro 12. Leinster haven't got an issue. Are we going to win the Heineken Cup (or as it's now known the Rugby Champions Cup)? I very much doubt it, but that doesn't come down to a coaching issue. That comes down to simply not having the squad calibre that we had a couple of seasons ago.

Leinster rugby is still in a very healthy state, and that will show through when the season reaches its end. And then Sexton will come back and we'll all feel gay about Leinster rugby again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,169 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    My issue with that quote was not so much that he wanted to bring in 5 or 6 foreign players, it's that he apparently took be job without researching it enough to know that that was never, ever going to happen.

Given the population of leinster and the schools set up etc... it would be a ****ing travisity if they actually needed to bring in 6 foreign players.

If only munster would get the thumb out and sort out their schools

Advertisement