Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more irish water nonsense

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Daith wrote: »
    Not a valid comparison. Insurance is not a utility bill.

It will be reflected in my bill. I don't need to ask them.

Not a valid comparison.

We signed up for a one year contract so again not a valid comparison.

Can you just compare utility bills versus utility bills? Cheers!

You are paying for a service, You won;t be using that service for 3 weeks so why not ask them to cancel payment for those 3 weeks? Also when metering comes in and you are charged per liter then it will be reflected in your bill that you haven't used water for 3weeks right? Bord gais and the ESB charge a standard usage per month, If you don't use any electricity for 3 weeks you will still be billed standard charge FOR THOSE 3 WEEKS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

How will they stop them accessing the water without the, er, meter?

They put the horse before the cart here.

Lock on the stopcock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

You are paying for a service, You won;t be using that service for 3 weeks so why not ask them to cancel payment for those 3 weeks?

You are comparing a year contract like insurance with a utility charge. Meaningless comparison.
    Bord gais and the ESB charge a standard usage per month, If you don't use any electricity for 3 weeks you will still be billed standard charge FOR THOSE 3 WEEKS.

Yes the standing charge but Irish Water will charge me THE FULL AMOUNT! Would you have an issue if ESB or Bord Gais charged you for using their services when you didn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

papu wrote: »
    Lock on the stopcock.

Run me through how they'd do that. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Yes the standing charge but Irish Water will charge me THE FULL AMOUNT! Would you have an issue if ESB or Bord Gais charged you for using their services when you didn't?

Use twice as much for the three weeks after you come back.

That'll teach them.

• Advertisement

Run me through how they'd do that. :confused:

Nah i'm not giving my secrets away.

The point is if people don't pay they should get any water.

Hiding behind a strawman argument thinking "sure they'll never be able to cut us off" isn't going to work.

Perhaps you'll just get billed anyway and brought to court for not paying , who knows.

Valetta wrote: »
    Use twice as much for the three weeks after you come back.

That'll teach them.

Would you have an issue with the ESB charging you more? Or would you just stop using electricity to balance it out?

Besides I thought Irish Water was there to help people conserve water.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Yeah, but I'm curious here.

No contract, no meter, I dont know what the long-term effect will be if thousands of homeowners don't engage, and refuse to pay.

If they're taken to court, say they never asked to be customers etc, can a court rule they must pay, or stop availing of the services.

How will they be able to tell if a customer did use the services without a meter, or how will they stop them using services without a meter?

Could be a very costly experiment by Irish Water and the government.
    If you're attached to the public system then you have to pay - metered or not. This is pretty straightforward.
    If you refuse to pay then normal enforcement action will be taken. Also pretty straightforward.

Some people will invariably fall through the net, just like some people get away without paying other bills or who cheat on their taxes or who rip off the social. Its just leakage in the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Nah i'm not giving my secrets away.

The point is if people don't pay they should get any water.

Hiding behind a strawman argument thinking "sure they'll never be able to cut us off" isn't going to work.

Perhaps you'll just get billed anyway and brought to court for not paying , who knows.

Its hardly a strawman argument.

You refuse to sign a contract from Irish Water.

You are unmetered, and receive a bill, which you refuse to pay.

If you're brought to court, how can they tell if you did in fact use water without a meter? Which I'd imagine would make it difficult for a court to compelling you to pay.

Add to that the fact they have stated in their contract that you either are or are not a customer, and give them permission to set up an account to bill you,
    otherwise I am declaring that I am not a customer of Irish Water

Would that mean they (Irish Water) would then have to physically attach a meter to these thousands (tens, maybe hundreds of thousands, who knows) in order to reduce your supply? That would seriously tie up resources Imo. Perfect for a mass civil disobedience stance.

I'm not being difficult, but it would seem it's all very far from clear here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Phoebas wrote: »
    They can stop using the IW water and waste water services.

But isn't fresh drinking water and sanitation a human right surely if you don't sign a contract with IW they cut you off as its in breach of human rights

http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/human_right_to_water.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

kneemos wrote: »
    Should outsource it to a British company,bound to have spare capacity for a million or two households.

Sure a small part of the work of Irish Water is already outsourced to RR Donnelley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I would have thought it is illegal to charge you a per units use charge without being able to produce metered information on per units use. As what would happen in cases when either side dispute the amount used ? Would the contract not be for your agreement to be charged via an estimated measurement.

I would have thought it is illegal to charge you a per units use charge without being able to produce metered information on per units use. As what would happen in cases when either side dispute the amount used ? Would the contract not be for your agreement to be charged via an estimated measurement.

I'm guessing the contract should specify if it's an assessed charge or metered charge?

If assessed you aren't being charge per unit. If you don't give a valid meter reading to ESB you'll get an incorrect charge too.

Its hardly a strawman argument.

You refuse to sign a contract from Irish Water.

You are unmetered, and receive a bill, which you refuse to pay.

If you're brought to court, how can they tell if you did in fact use water without a meter? Which I'd imagine would make it difficult for a court to compelling you to pay.

Add to that the fact they have stated in their contract that you either are or are not a customer, and give them permission to set up an account to bill you,

Would that mean they (Irish Water) would then have to physically attach a meter to these thousands (tens, maybe hundreds of thousands, who knows) in order to reduce your supply?

I'm not being difficult, but it would seem it's all very far from clear here.
    If you don't have a meter and you are attached to the public system then you are liable to pay the 'default assessed charge'. This is regardless of how much water you use (or don't use), so there is hardly a need for IW to demonstrate your usage to any court.

You seem to enjoy going over the very same ground over and over again on various Irish Water threads and wilfully ignore the information you're given again and again.

I'm guessing the contract should specify if it's an assessed charge or metered charge?

If assessed you aren't being charge per unit. If you don't give a valid meter reading to ESB you'll get an incorrect charge too.

True but you will have entered into a contract with the ESB And they have to fit a meter by law don't they.

jonon9 wrote: »
    But isn't fresh drinking water and sanitation a human right surely if you don't sign a contract with IW they cut you off as its in breach of human rights

http://www.un.org/waterforlifedecade/human_right_to_water.shtml

I didn't mention IW cutting anyone off.
    Individuals who don't want to pay IW are free to provide their own water (there are many thousands of households in the country who already make their own arrangements).

Phoebas wrote: »
    I didn't mention IW cutting anyone off.
    Individuals who don't want to pay IW are free to provide their own water (there are many thousands of households in the country who already make their own arrangements).

And they will be paying a charge if they are connected to the public sewer system i can guarantee that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

policarp wrote: »
    It's just another stealth tax.

No.

Worse. Its to be an additional payment, over and above that already payed through general taxation, for a public service. To a private company, with no independent means of redress when they do not provide that public service.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,913 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

A bill is a bill , "resource utilities" aren't paid for by special euros.

What? You are comparing a yearly charge for a fixed bill like a tv license that does not calculate how much to charge you by how much you use with a bill that is directly affected by how much water you use.

Trying to deflect your failure in logic by tying to imply i think things are paid for with "special euros" is childish

• Registered Users Posts: 25,488 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

And they will be paying a charge if they are connected to the public sewer system i can guarantee that.

Proper order too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

policarp wrote: »
    It's just another stealth tax.

Why is paying for electricity and gas not a stealth tax, why is paying for a loaf of bread not a stealth tax.

Its funny for years a large number of people in Ireland paid for their water, they sunk a well, the paid for a pump, the pay for electricity to run the pump, they pay to install a septic tank, they pay to pump it clean. The pay to replace the pump.

Why was the State not giving them the money back, was that a stealth tax.

Its simple you get water pay for it, if unhappy with the service don't and complain.

Its funny for years a large number of people in Ireland paid for their water

Everyone has been paying through tax. Not enough yes but I wish people would stop with this "you were getting water for free" bollox.

The majority of people providing their own water provide their own septic tank, problem solved.

Why is paying for electricity and gas not a stealth tax, why is paying for a loaf of bread not a stealth tax.

Its funny for years a large number of people in Ireland paid for their water, they sunk a well, the paid for a pump, the pay for electricity to run the pump, they pay to install a septic tank, they pay to pump it clean. The pay to replace the pump.

Why was the State not giving them the money back, was that a stealth tax.

Its simple you get water pay for it, if unhappy with the service don't and complain.

Water is already paid for, Or there would be no water. It's quite simple.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The phrase "stealth tax" is asinine anyway.

Everyone knows about these things and won't shut the **** up about them.

Not exactly the definition of "stealth", is it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

So you shouldn't have to pay for anything you use that already exists?

Flawless logic.

So you shouldn't have to pay for anything you use that already exists?

Flawless logic.

No, it's when people moan with "Oh you don't want to pay for water" rubbish.

It's paid for by the huge unsustainable loans the government takes out.

Everyone has been paying through tax. Not enough yes but I wish people would stop with this "you were getting water for free" bollox.

By getting water provided by the state all paid for it, by providing your own water you paid for your own supply and you also paid the tax everyone else paid, so in effect paid twice for your water. Now a fair system has come in and people are moaning.

• Advertisement

It's paid for by the huge unsustainable loans the government takes out.

Are you saying that no taxes from the public contributes to the water infrastructure?
    By getting water provided by the state all paid for it.

Same question. Public taxes have never went into our water infrastructure?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement