Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread*** [R1 points linked in first post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

so lets say i studied geography who wud sign off on my project nd wud the school let me sit it in there exam hall ny help is much appreciated

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

so lets say i studied geography who wud sign off on my project nd wud the school let me sit it in there exam hall ny help is much appreciated
    Here, Charlie, less of the textspeak, please. :p

Are you talking of sitting the LC but not attending any school?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Are you looking to do the Leaving Cert at home?

well the school wudnt let skip maths nd irish classes wud they ?

You'd have to speak with the principal and maybe have your parents involved as well. There are schools that are open to repeat students and I know one nearby allows students to do what subjects they want and aren't forced to do the core subjects.

• Advertisement

For someone repeating, they may, especially if it's a school used to having repeats.

Trying to do it on your own, teachers to sign off on practical projects are only one of your worries.

How many days do you think you will crawl out of bed before noon? :P

Jamie, get tf outta my brain! :pac:

wudnt have the will power to do it at home tbh :L But do i just show 4 a class den go home nd go bk in l8r basicly do they bend the rules 4 repeats

wudnt have the will power to do it at home tbh :L But do i just show 4 a class den go home nd go bk in l8r basicly do they bend the rules 4 repeats
    Had you any repeats in your class this year?

If not, it may be worth looking around to see if there's another school more accustomed to them nearby. In schools more accustomed to having repeats, it would be more normal that there would be somewhere they can study if they don't have class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

In my school the teachers were softer on repeats - let them stay in the study hall unsupervised where they could study/talk. They would enter in/out of the school as they pleased. Some teachers saw them as adults, some saw them as students and would give out to them for this behavior. They would turn up to some classes and skip others. Some teachers didn't like it, most didn't care. It really depends on the school tbh. Ask around.

For someone repeating, they may, especially if it's a school used to having repeats.

Trying to do it on your own, teachers to sign off on practical projects are only one of your worries.

How many days do you think you will crawl out of bed before noon? :P

Jamie, get tf outta my brain! :pac:

lol no :pac:

• Advertisement

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    lol no :pac:
    Don't blame me if you get irretrievably lost! :p

so i cud definitly avoid math/irish take up HL english nd do 5 other favourited subjects ?

so i cud definitly avoid math/irish take up HL english nd do 5 other favourited subjects ?
    You could definitely go and discuss it with your school, or any other local possibilities. :p

CAO-wise, it's fine.

so the cao will be happy enough that i passed maths nd irish this year and resat the leaving next year without the 2 and it wud still count toward
    s entry requirements next year ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes but not for points next year.

so the cao will be happy enough that i passed maths nd irish this year and resat the leaving next year without the 2 and it wud still count toward
    s entry requirements next year ?
    Yes, you don't have to pass minimum requirements in the same year as you count for points except for medicine.

Mind you, be sure you don't change your mind to a course which has a higher requirement for those two subjects than you got this year. :p

ok so thanks 4 the help lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

Why wouldnt they, schools are very accomdating =]

LoveChanel wrote: »
    Why wouldnt they, schools are very accomdating =]
    Um, some are, some aren't, and some take the view that students should be supervised / in a classroom at all times for insurance reasons.

Which is why it would be good to repeat in a school which is used to dealing with repeats; some schools seldom or never take repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 WildConn

I got 360 points. I got a course through hear in round one offers which was 370 points, it was my second choice. My first choice was 380. Do I have a chance of getting my first course when the round two offers come out? They are both in the same college and I really would like my first choice, but my second would be fine.

I don't know if this is even the right place to post this. but I would just like some feedback. Thank you in advance.

• Advertisement

WildConn wrote: »
    I got 360 points. I got a course through hear in round one offers which was 370 points, it was my second choice. My first choice was 380. Do I have a chance of getting my first course when the round two offers come out? They are both in the same college and I really would like my first choice, but my second would be fine.

I don't know if this is even the right place to post this. but I would just like some feedback. Thank you in advance.
    It's fine. ;)

There is a chance yes, depending on the level of acceptances for your first choice.

How good or bad a chance no-one can tell you tbh; far too many variables. All we can really tell you is that the door isn't shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

WildConn wrote: »

Accept the second choice offer, it doesn't stop you from being offered the first choice if it becomes available.

Um, some are, some aren't, and some take the view that students should be supervised / in a classroom at all times for insurance reasons.

Which is why it would be good to repeat in a school which is used to dealing with repeats; some schools seldom or never take repeats.

Really? I know there's a rule that if you do 6 years of schooling in a public secondary school that they will not take you back. That would be if you did T.Y or repeated a year.
    I had to go to a grind school to repeat because of that rule. I have to say it was the best experience of school to date. Well worth it if you will knuckle down and work hard from day 1.
    The other option would be to study at home for the year.

no school in twn will let me repeat :( ny1 ave a suggestion
    nearest repeat school is in dublin nearly 100km away :(

LoveChanel wrote: »
    Really? I know there's a rule that if you do 6 years of schooling in a public secondary school that they will not take you back. That would be if you did T.Y or repeated a year.
    I had to go to a grind school to repeat because of that rule. I have to say it was the best experience of school to date. Well worth it if you will knuckle down and work hard from day 1.
    The other option would be to study at home for the year.

Probably done is some schools but not the case for the schools around me. I know a girl who did TY, did her Leaving last year, didn't get the point for her course so she repeated. That's 7 years she spent in secondary school

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Probably done is some schools but not the case for the schools around me. I know a girl who did TY, did her Leaving last year, didn't get the point for her course so she repeated. That's 7 years she spent in secondary school

In the same school? The school won't get capitation money from the DES for her. If it's a very big school or a rich one, that won't bother them much, but for some schools it is more of a problem.

Less of the text speak please.

Are you saying there are no schools offering repeat LC in your area, or that there are and they are full already?
    Is there any other reason schools would not be taking you? What sort of reference are you getting from your old school?

the two schools said they cant take anymore 6th year repeats for insurance reasons and my old school said they could only allow me to take part in project work eg history because that cant be done at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

spurious wrote: »
    In the same school? The school won't get capitation money from the DES for her. If it's a very big school or a rich one, that won't bother them much, but for some schools it is more of a problem.

I have spent 7 years in the same public school, however I had to pay like €200 to repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

oncex wrote: »
    I have spent 7 years in the same public school, however I had to pay like €200 to repeat.

Repeat fee is standard for all repeat students.

• Advertisement

Lots of people move to dublin galway waterford etc for grind schools. I know for a fact that yeats in Galway usually have 70-80 students who live in the B&Bs on college road, which is right beside the school. I'm sure the grind schools in dublin like the IOE will advise you on accomodation =]

Advertisement