Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread*** [R1 points linked in first post]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 K6Y

Well I have HEAR and DARE and even though I didn't need to use the bonus points, it says I got 979 points under my offer which I'm pretty sure is due to one of them. Why is this? Does this mean I have to go to the HEAR orientation because I'd really rather not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Got my first choice (Computing Level 6/7) in National college of Ireland.
    Over the moon. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shaunanibheag

Did anybody else get Marketing in Maynooth? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Got my first choice (Computing Level 6/7) in National college of Ireland.
    Over the moon. :)
    You made a good choice and I'm doing the Level 8 Computing and heading into 2nd year this September. If any questions ask away as they are both the same course material for the first two years.

Fiolina wrote: »
    Hi all. Can someone tell me what this means please - my son has been offered a place in NCI Level 7/6 doing computers. On the letter he received with the offer notice it has the code of the course NC102 and right underneath it has "your score" 9792. what does this mean?Thanks
    I don't understand it either but you are best off asking the CAO yourself to find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Anyone doing Science and Nanotechnology in DIT? Is it a difficult course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 susanx

hi i was wondering if anyone had any advice on witch course i should pick in my cao . i have been wanting to do science and hopefully get into a college that dose zoology ,but the points where to high.

i got excepted into dundalk with environmental bioscience and i am predicting a small chance i can get Science General entry in galway-mayo institute in my second round (due to point drop) but i am unsure which one would be more likely to give me an opportunity to transfer to a college that has zoology.

if anyone knows anything about it please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    You made a good choice and I'm doing the Level 8 Computing and heading into 2nd year this September. If any questions ask away as they are both the same course material for the first two years.

Hi,
    Just a sort of general questing.
    How much programming knowledge would you have by the end of first year ?

Like would you be able to do small jobs for people to earn some money during the summer ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 galwayed

My daughter has 20 surplus points for Arts in NUI but only got one HC3 instead of required two also qualified for HEAR. Does she have any recourse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭HauntedGhost

LoveChanel wrote: »
    If someone else who got accepted through hear drops out then your in with a chance. Good luck! =]

Thank you LoveChanel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Mr_Maestro

Into UCD with Arts. First choice. It's my 22nd birthday today.

Safe to say it's been a great day.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

galwayed wrote: »
    My daughter has 20 surplus points for Arts in NUI but only got one HC3 instead of required two also qualified for HEAR. Does she have any recourse?

No she doesn't. She has to have 2 HC3s to meet entry requirements for all universities in Ireland. HEAR doesn't have any effect on that.

From the HEAR website:
    If you are applying for the HEAR scheme, you must:
    • provide satisfactory evidence of your socio-economic circumstances
    • meet the minimum entry (matriculation) and subject requirements of the colleges or universities to which you are applying, and then
    • compete for one of the quota places based on your Leaving Certificate results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

Hi,

Like would you be able to do small jobs for people to earn some money during the summer ?

Why would people be looking for someone to do programming for them? :confused:

Why would people be looking for someone to do programming for them? :confused:

You'd be very surprised. I've done some programming and web design for churches, local pound shops and some work online.

Any experience is vital in getting a job these days, so you go around asking local businesses do they have a website setup. If they don't, ask if they would like one and you can offer your services to them pro bono.

Experience gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Was just wondering where I could find the Trinity TSM points for each specific combo? I can only find the minimum and maximum points for each subject :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 uwotlad

Anyone else doin Multimedia, Mobile & Web Development in Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Shaunicus

Anyone doing CW578 TV and Media production?

Mr_Maestro wrote: »
    You'd be very surprised. I've done some programming and web design for churches, local pound shops and some work online.

Any experience is vital in getting a job these days, so you go around asking local businesses do they have a website setup. If they don't, ask if they would like one and you can offer your services to them pro bono.

Experience gained.

Oh yeah, I thought he just meant going house-to-house :o :pac:

Oh yeah, I thought he just meant going house-to-house :o :pac:

Hello neighbour, wanna website?! :P

Hi,

You start off by learning the basics of Java in the first semester like debugging code and solving errors etc... If you get Frances as a lecturer you should do well as she is really good.

Then in second semester they introduce you to object oriented programming where you deal with GUIs and actually develop a simple app for your project.

To answer your question you should have reasonable knowledge but not enough. When you enter 2nd year with Software Engineering that's where you learn how to develop skills on how to develop efficient software like understanding the design process behind it.

However you should be able to design websites as it is quite easy to learn html and css when you put the effort in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

Not sure if this is the right place but I got offered EPL in DCU but have to defer. I got my approval a couple of minutes ago and was just wondering if I still click accept on the cao website? Or do I decline or just leave it?

I knew in my heart you would say that...might get English paper rechecked. what a mad system

I knew in my heart you would say that...might get English paper rechecked. what a mad system

What's wrong with it? :confused: It's a fair system...

What's the point of getting the points and not the requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

You could get the points in subjects that are completely irrelevant to the course? Requirements just make sure people are at a certain standard with certain subjects?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

It's not the college's fault she didn't meet the requirements. Requirements are there for a reason. If a person is not able to achieve 2 HC3s at Higher Level out of the six subjects they are counting for points, it is far more likely that they will struggle to keep up with the material in third level, which may lead to them failing or dropping out.

No different from a degree in science requiring a student to have a HC3 in a science subject which indicates an aptitude for the subject.

It's an incredibly fair system, students aren't discriminated against on their address, the school they attended, who their parents are, if they've repeated the Leaving, the financial status of their family.

They get a place on a course based on their academic achievement. It's not a flawless system, sometimes students end up in courses they are not entirely suited to, but there has to be a cut off minimum achievement level to enter third level.

I know what you're saying is right. God she's young and healthy and as I know myself, the less straight the road, the more interesting journey! Off for a blub now tho'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

It's not a flawless system, sometimes students end up in courses they are not entirely suited to, but there has to be a cut off minimum achievement level to enter third level.

You'd be very surprised by the amount of people who do end up in the wrong course despite meeting requirements. A lot of people drop out after first year or fail exams and have to repeat. It becomes an exercise in wasting time and money. Too many people go to college because they think they should and aren't cut out for it or don't think carefully enough about what they really want to do. It is a flawed system in the sense that I don't think certain subjects are taught well enough (and bribing people with the prospect of extra points for doing higher level is a superficial treatment of the problem, and now they're talking about giving points for failing, ffs) and there needs to be other ways of assessing people's suitability for certain courses. Anyone studying English or Creative Writing or something of that kind should really have to submit a sample of work plus points and meeting subject requirements, for example. Just my two cents on that.

But definitely, having a certain amount of higher level subjects should be a given. You can't expect someone to do well in a biochemistry course if they failed chemistry or maths in the leaving cert. If you can't do it in school, you definitely wont be able for it at third level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Kat97 wrote: »
    Was just wondering where I could find the Trinity TSM points for each specific combo? I can only find the minimum and maximum points for each subject :)

Look at university times! :)

• Advertisement

You'd be very surprised by the amount of people who do end up in the wrong course despite meeting requirements. A lot of people drop out after first year or fail exams and have to repeat. It becomes an exercise in wasting time and money. Too many people go to college because they think they should and aren't cut out for it or don't think carefully enough about what they really want to do. It is a flawed system in the sense that I don't think certain subjects are taught well enough (and bribing people with the prospect of extra points for doing higher level is a superficial treatment of the problem, and now they're talking about giving points for failing, ffs) and there needs to be other ways of assessing people's suitability for certain courses. Anyone studying English or Creative Writing or something of that kind should really have to submit a sample of work plus points and meeting subject requirements, for example. Just my two cents on that.

But definitely, having a certain amount of higher level subjects should be a given. You can't expect someone to do well in a biochemistry course if they failed chemistry or maths in the leaving cert. If you can't do it in school, you definitely wont be able for it at third level.

I dunno, I think bonus points for maths was a good idea. I was doing pass in TY, moved to honours in 5th year and ended up getting a B3 last week. Not a chance I'd have moved without the bonus points.

Advertisement