Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***The Official CAO Offers Thread*** [R1 points linked in first post]

Options
  • 17-08-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

I'm sure I'm not the only one sh*tting themselves for tomorrow morning at six o' clock. I am currently between a rock and a hard place, that is, I've gotten a borderline amount of points for my first choice. However, I have a horrible instinct that the points will rise this year and I shall be left upset and distraught.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am very pleased with my leaving cert results bar one subject. I actually got worse than my mock and due to this hiccup I may not receive my first choice course! :eek:

What's your story? What's your woes? Vent all here! :p

*******************************************************************************************************

WORD OF WARNING:

Anyone trolling, claiming to have inside information for real, to have got the paper early, etc. etc. without being able to back up their claims will be banned.

In fact, we've asked for sitebans in the past for serious cases of malicious scaremongering, and the Admins have been more than happy to implement them.

No-one needs that crap, thanks.

R.

ALSO: READ THIS!!

Round 1 points 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭RedMickeyMouse

I applied for the TCD feasibility study to get into law with my points from last year (490). I also applied for BESS (495) and Business and German (485) and am convinced I'll get none of them. If fifteen hours could just pass that'd be great :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 AlTahir

I'm in the exact same predicament, I got just borderline amount of points and am desperately hoping the points don't go up this year, but I doubt points for Computer Science courses will drop or stay the same, I really don't want to go to ITT :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭flump_master

http://vimeo.com/102134759

This might clear things up for people on how things will go down tomorrow

Oh and good luck to everyone, hope you get want you want :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 JageMeister

I got 10 points less that what should be required for Arts in UCC - But iv'e been accepted into the HEAR scheme so, hypothetically, I should get in. However, I had a quick look back at the Entry Requirements and it says that you need 2 HC3's which I didn't get, does this mean that I definitely won't get the course now?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Pidge96

I got 10 points less that what should be required for Arts in UCC - But iv'e been accepted into the HEAR scheme so, hypothetically, I should get in. However, I had a quick look back at the Entry Requirements and it says that you need 2 HC3's which I didn't get, does this mean that I definitely won't get the course now?

Unfortunately you MUST satisfy the entry requirements of the course ie. 2 HC3 to the get the offer, in spite of the points reduction offered by hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Yes you won't get in unless you satisfy entry requirements .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Huell

if i lose my place in a course due to a raffle i will give up on life

Huell wrote: »
    if i lose my place in a course due to a raffle i will give up on life

Best not to mess about stuff like that .
    There will be people worrying about getting any offer at all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I have 45 more points then it was last
    Year so i feel safe

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Fiolina

Can I ask a stupid question here please? My son has gone off on holidays today so I will be checking the CAO site on his behalf tomorrow.
    Is it right that you have a week to accept an offer - i.e. I don't have to "do" anything tomorrow? (he'll be back next Sunday)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Fiolina wrote: »
    Can I ask a stupid question here please? My son has gone off on holidays today so I will be checking the CAO site on his behalf tomorrow.
    Is it right that you have a week to accept an offer - i.e. I don't have to "do" anything tomorrow? (he'll be back next Sunday)

Thanks

Not a stupid question at all. Yes, he has a week. Although he will get a text so he'll know if he has his course or not at around 9am.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Fiolina wrote: »

Thanks
    Yes, he has until 5 o'clock on Monday 25th to accept his offer.

In any case, if he gets what he wants and it's a clearcut decision, nothing stopping him logging in from abroad. Accepting only takes 30 seconds, there's no big forms to fill out this time! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

This may have an obvious answer but I'll ask anyway- I got 460 points, and I'm fairly sure I'll get my 2nd choice seeing as it was 410 last year (not being cocky I just doubt it will rise at all.) But I am going to get 3 subjects re checked because I feel really hard done by, and if by some miracle there was a mistake in correcting and I get like 60 more points added, is there ANY chance AT ALL I can get my 1st or 5th choice, which are around 500 points? Or will it be too late, will I already have accepted an offer and be placed in a course?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭booblefoop

FudgeBrace wrote: »
    This may have an obvious answer but I'll ask anyway- I got 460 points, and I'm fairly sure I'll get my 2nd choice seeing as it was 410 last year (not being cocky I just doubt it will rise at all.) But I am going to get 3 subjects re checked because I feel really hard done by, and if by some miracle there was a mistake in correcting and I get like 60 more points added, is there ANY chance AT ALL I can get my 1st or 5th choice, which are around 500 points? Or will it be too late, will I already have accepted an offer and be placed in a course?

I think it depends on the college, some will let you join the course at that point, while others will make you defer until the start of the next year. But I believe you're guaranteed a place if you meet the points requirement, just not necessarily a place for this year. But you'll only get your 1st choice, you can't get your 5th choice after accepting your 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

booblefoop wrote: »
    I think it depends on the college, some will let you join the course at that point, while others will make you defer until the start of the next year. But I believe you're guaranteed a place if you meet the points requirement, just not necessarily a place for this year. But you'll only get your 1st choice, you can't get your 5th choice after accepting your 2nd.
    okay, small but of hope restored! Thank you so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Anyone else jittery and not able to relax, or any tips on how to relax. Not even my favourite show & food/drink can make me happy. I'm going to be twitching at 5:30am. I'm tired but I know I won't be able to sleep :-(

Best of luck everyone. As a 23 year old, I promise you it isn't the end of the world if you don't get what you want, there is plenty lf time for you to weigh up your options and see what you want to do. Don't panic and take any course you're offered if you think you may not like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Good luck to you all. I was sitting their where you are 2 years ago just try to relax and remember their are loads of options even though I know right now it doesn't feel that way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

leave and go to the awards ceremony right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭nailforhammer

I'm just on the brink I got 530 and my course is 530 if it goes up anyway at all... :( :eek: :( I don't know what I'll do! I had planned on getting around 540 don't know what happened.

I'm just on the brink I got 530 and my course is 530 if it goes up anyway at all... :( :eek: :( I don't know what I'll do! I had planned on getting around 540 don't know what happened.
    If it makes you feel any better I'm in the same boat . I'm just a few points over dentistry . Fingers crossed the points don't go crazy . Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭onethreefive

I know this is probably an incredibly silly question given that I've just read you have until Monday to accept. But can I log in at 6am to check what offers I get and then log out and not accept any until tomorrow evening? Or do you have to accept the first time you log in? I am prone to worrying alot :o

I know this is probably an incredibly silly question given that I've just read you have until Monday to accept. But can I log in at 6am to check what offers I get and then log out and not accept any until tomorrow evening? Or do you have to accept the first time you log in? I am prone to worrying alot :o

You can log in as many times as you want and still wait until next monday to accept it... If that's all you have to worry about you should count yourself lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

I am prone to worrying alot :o

I'm not even a regular poster, but even I know this :pac:
    Yes, u can log in and back out.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Xscreamokidx

You don't have to accept right away, you have a week

• Registered Users Posts: 10 teutron

Anyone else out there hoping to get dcu engineering, any guesses on what way the points will go

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

Don't worry you can log on to check and not accept until later on, you have loads of time (monday 25th is the deadline) =]

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    If it makes you feel any better I'm in the same boat . I'm just a few points over dentistry . Fingers crossed the points don't go crazy . Good luck

Thanks same to you. It's annoying because a lot of my friends got good points but what they want to do is much lower so with about 4 or 5 of my friends they have over 100 points more than what they want to do. One got 595 but only needs 400 or so points!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

what time do papers usually be sent out to shops?

Thanks same to you. It's annoying because a lot of my friends got good points but what they want to do is much lower so with about 4 or 5 of my friends they have over 100 points more than what they want to do. One got 595 but only needs 400 or so points!

I know what you mean .
    Unfortunately I need every point I have to guarantee me a place .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Xscreamokidx

So what's everybody hoping to get? :D

Advertisement