Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

McLearys steak recently, absolutely lovely. Reasonably priced, we had 2 courses each.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Lads could anybody recommend somewhere in the City Centre for a 3 course meal at a decent price. I was going to go Manor Court because we are going to the cinema after it and it's close but friend put me off their.

Would be looking for a menu with something like steak, chicken, beef or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

McLearys.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Lads could anybody recommend somewhere in the City Centre for a 3 course meal at a decent price. I was going to go Manor Court because we are going to the cinema after it and it's close but friend put me off their.

Would be looking for a menu with something like steak, chicken, beef or something like that.
    Might be a bit out of your way but the new restaurant up at The Forum do 3 courses and glass of wine for €25. I ate there on Saturday and was really impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Nuts102 wrote: »

You can't go past L'Atmosphere €20 for 3 courses and a glass of wine on the early bird. Food is top notch and excellent choices

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭hairway2Steven

Was in here last week, fantastic new menu, new chefs and nice vibes. They have really pulled their socks up!
    Steak was tender and cooked perfectly, herslf had a vegetarian tapas (although it was more a mezze) all of it was delicious.. Cheap too for the quality i got... Will be returning

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Friday13th

I went to Dennisons restaurant in the Forum last night.

They were advertising a Summer menu which was 3 courses plus a glass of wine for €24.95 and we ordered from this. However when we asked for the glass of wine, we were told that they were no longer offering it. This was despite the fact that they have a board outside on the street advertising it! There was no reason given as to why it was no longer part of the deal - basically it is now a 3 course meal for €24.95 with no wine.

We stayed anyway as we had ordered the food, however I was very disappointed with what I consider to be false advertising to lure people in. The food was nice enough, nothing wonderful, but I won't be going back based on this experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dennisons

Friday13th wrote: »
    I went to Dennisons restaurant in the Forum last night.

They were advertising a Summer menu which was 3 courses plus a glass of wine for €24.95 and we ordered from this. However when we asked for the glass of wine, we were told that they were no longer offering it. This was despite the fact that they have a board outside on the street advertising it! There was no reason given as to why it was no longer part of the deal - basically it is now a 3 course meal for €24.95 with no wine.

We stayed anyway as we had ordered the food, however I was very disappointed with what I consider to be false advertising to lure people in. The food was nice enough, nothing wonderful, but I won't be going back based on this experience.

Hi Friday13th,

First of all, I would like to apologise regarding the board outside. We only copped it when it was said on Thursday evening (may have been your table) and it was in no way intended to mislead or false advertise to our customers, it was an unfortunate error on our behalf. We actually only changed our menu on Thursday. We ran the Summer Menu and glass of wine for our first month of opening but we still feel we are offering very good value as there are more dishes to choose from on the Summer Menu now. For the party that mentioned it to me, I was more than happy to honour the glass of wine. I'm sorry again and regret that this ruined your experience.

Thanks,

David

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Dennisons, as you are posting on behalf of a company I have to ask you to refrain from posting any further until you have obtained a verified rep account from the guys in the office. They can be contacted at reps@boards.ie

Please note that further posts without having first obtained a verified rep account will result in a siteban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

Thats a bit unfair surely? So it's ok for someone to post negatives about a restaurant but its not ok for the owner to come back and give is side of the story??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

foghlu wrote: »
    Thats a bit unfair surely? So it's ok for someone to post negatives about a restaurant but its not ok for the owner to come back and give is side of the story??

I agree. It's not as if they were pretending to be someone else, they were straight up.

Mind you, I thought the excuse was fairly feeble. If the wine was advertised, it should have been given, out of goodwill. It's called good customer relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

katydid wrote: »
    I agree. It's not as if they were pretending to be someone else, they were straight up.

Mind you, I thought the excuse was fairly feeble. If the wine was advertised, it should have been given, out of goodwill. It's called good customer relations.

If you read again, they did give it, out of goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭hardybuck

katydid wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The reason for verifying the poster and account is that the poster came on representing a business, which is fine but what's to say that person actually represents that business? Anyone can sign up an account, remember. Zaph is not only protecting boards.ie he is actually protecting the business involved. Once the account and holder are verified then the poster can post away......

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Friday13th

hardybuck wrote: »

Just to clarify we were not offered the glass of wine when we asked, however we were only dealing with the waiter who obviously did not know how to handle the situation. From his post, it appears other people there that night spoke to David Dennison and he gave them the glass of wine which was advertised as part of the deal.

I have since passed the restaurant and the glass of wine has been removed from the board advertising the summer menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 JaneDoe111

Any word on new restaurant in Ardkeen?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

JaneDoe111 wrote: »
    Any word on new restaurant in Ardkeen?

The new restaurant is called Loko. They have a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/LokoWaterford?fref=ts

hardybuck wrote: »

Not to the person that wrote the post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

The reason for verifying the poster and account is that the poster came on representing a business, which is fine but what's to say that person actually represents that business? Anyone can sign up an account, remember. Zaph is not only protecting boards.ie he is actually protecting the business involved. Once the account and holder are verified then the poster can post away......

That's all well and good...but you must pay to be a business rep.

So, someone uses boards.ie to slag your business and you have to pay boards.ie to defend yourself. Something wrong there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Went to La Fontana last night, first time there is about 6 years I'd say! Have to say it was excellent, the staff were very good, the starter was good (bruschetta) and the main was fantastic, it was the nights special, beef with sautee potato in a red wine and mushroom sauce, can't for the life of me think of the name right now! The beef was maybe a little on the pricey side, but tasted great. Better half shared the bruschetta starter with me and had a main course of taglietelli pasta in a creamy sauce with chicken and mushroom I believe. For dessert she had the toblerone ice cream, again the name they gave it escapes me at this hour of the morning!

Few in there but not overly packed, atmosphere was good and will certainly be back quicker next time

• Registered Users Posts: 21 deiseabu

Visited Harlequin Cafe during the week, lovely little spot, food really tasty, convivial atmosphere and friendly staff. Would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I was given a voucher for Bellissimo recently so went there last night with my husband. It was really good, very good food and excellent service so would have no problem going back again.

Looking forward to going to Loko next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

deisemum wrote: »
    I was given a voucher for Bellissimo recently so went there last night with my husband. It was really good, very good food and excellent service so would have no problem going back again.

Looking forward to going to Loko next.

I think if loko do it right, they could do very well for themselves. A huge catchment area only served by Kambo, Bellissimo and whatever the Chinese above the Uluru is called these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Would love to hear from anyone who's been! I passed by last night & it looked very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

As requested............
    Was in there last night...
    I am a fan of Bodega so was quietly looking forward to this place opening, and I am not disappointed. It is not a copy of Bodega and is a nice alternative both from a setting and food point of view.

Had the marinated pork ribs to start, which were delicious and how you hope they would be, with a savage taste of more off them. Might have them as a main the next time. The boss wanted a small starter so went for the pork scratchings.. again as you would hope and something different.

Mains.. Both of us had steaks, the boss a fillet and I had the ribeye. They are seared by the kitchen and then come on hot stones to the table to finish cooking. This works very well as you can cook to your own taste..even if you like it well done you can slice it up and it will cook away. The cuts of meat were spot on.The mains do not come with sides and you pick from a large selection.

Desserts were a knickerbocker glory for me and a cheesecake for the boss. Mine was grand but nothing special( not enough ice cream), can't comment on the cheesecake as it feckin disappeared before I could get near it.

The prices were reasonable ... I wont tell you how much I dropped there as someone did the dog on the cocktails.

Staff were all pleasant and they did have a few teething problems, nothing major, which I am sure will be ironed out when staff become more familiar with their roles, and the menu.

I would recommend picking up a copy of their lunch and evening menus , just to see the different types of food they have. (Next time I'm trying the scotch egg wrapped in black pudding as starter)Is a nice place to chill out, with a mix of high stools and tables , and three different eating levels.

I can see it doing well..

Hope this helps.
    Highpath

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

That sounds good, gosh the scotch egg is a blast from the past with a twist using black pudding instead of sausagemeat. It was a very popular starter back in the early 80's and had a thick tomato souplike dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Great to have so many top class restaurants in town. The Olive Tree had a magician in last Saturday night going from table to table. Was unreal. Looking forward to trying out Loko. Love the atmosphere in Bodega.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Loko sounds good. Down with hot stones though, if I'm paying good money for a steak, then I expect it cooked for me and the way I asked for it to be cooked.

• Advertisement

Fishy1 wrote: »
    Would love to hear from anyone who's been! I passed by last night & it looked very busy.

I was there on Friday night, and it was lovely. Loads of slow cooked stuff like pork belly and beef cheek, but also flatbread pizzas. Good choice of beers and ciders too; a bit pricy at €6 a pint. The staff were lovely and cheerful.

My only complaint was what was advertised as "twice cooked chips"; I assumed they would be lovely and crunchy, but they were just ordinary chips you'd get anywhere. Nice but nothing to write home about, I wouldn't bother ordering them again. But my husband got a lovely big portion of garlic mash, which was gorgeous, and I shared that.

Would definitely recommend.

Advertisement