Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

KevIRL wrote: »
    This opens today, hope it goes well for them. Very positive reviews from a friends and family pre-launch last night

Have they a menu online yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

They have on their Facebook page but it's impossible to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

tonc76 wrote: »
    Have they a menu online yet?

Here's this week's menu. Heading in Saturday night, will report back with a review
    Please see our Menu for this week Tuesday 19th to Sunday 24th - We also offer daily specials depending on the catch of the day and other fresh produce.

Carne/Meat

Alitas de pollo calientes y picantes 5.00
    Hot and Spicy chicken wings

Chorizo frito con patatas y huevo 5.50
    Potato with sauted chorizo sausage topped with fried egg

Albondigas5.50
    Spanish meat balls served in a rustic tomato sauce

Solomillo de cerdo marinado con especias de Morruecos 6.50
    Fillet of pork marinated in moroccan spices

Pollo Al Ajillo 5.75
    Chicken on the bone. Cooked in garlic, bay leaf & white wine

Pinchos de Carne tierna de Buey con salsa barbacoa 5.75
    Tender Beef skewers with barbeque sauce

Verduras/Vegetables

Tortilla de Patatas 4.50
    Spanish potato omelette

Tortilla del día 5.00
    Tortilla of the day (ask your server)

Champiñones, Pimientos Rojos y Ajo 4.75
    Spanish mushrooms with red peppers & garlic

Daily Special 5.00

Patatas/Potato

Patatas Bravas 4.25
    Fried potatoes with spicy tomato sauce

Patatas aioli 4.25
    Fried potatoes with garlic mayonnaise

Patatas fritas 3.95
    Hand cut potato chips

Tablas/Sharing boards (for 2 or more)

Embutidos Ibericos Variados 17.50
    Cold Iberico meat board

Tabla de quesos Irlandeses y Espanoles 14.00
    Selection of Irish & Spanish cheeses

Tabla mixta 14.95
    Mixed board of Iberico meats and cheese

Queso Manchego con miel y membrillo 8.50
    Spanish manchego cheese with honey & quince

Ensaladas/salads

Ensalada de espinacas y rúcula 4.50
    Spinach & rockett salad with toasted almonds, dates & red onion

Ensalada verde 3.95
    Mixed leaf salad of tomato cucumber red onion capers, lemon & olive oil dressing

Daily Specials 4.50

Otros/Extras

Selección de aceitunas variedad servida con pan artesanal 4.75
    Selection of marinated house olives served with Artisan Bread

Tomate bruschetta
    Tomato Bruschetta with garlic and Olive oil 5.00

Ración de pan 1.50
    Portion of artisan bread

Postres/Desserts All 5.50

Churros con chocolate
    Warm Churros with chocolate sauce ( House favorite)

Selección de helados
    Selection of ice creams made locally by Gino’s -

Profiteroles con nata
    Cream filled profiteroles with chocolate ganache

We also have daily specials on offer – please see our special boards on arrival.

Opening hours are from Tuesday to Sunday from 12 Midday till late.

For a reservation please call 051 - 585555

Here's this week's menu. Heading in Saturday night, will report back with a review

^^^^

I'll have everything please!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

tapas can be a bit intimidating, whats the usual procedure, do you order a load of stuff off the menu at the same time and its all brought out on little plates? Is it meant for sharing? I was in one Tapas restaurant in Spain but on that occassion I was by myself ordering a beer and just one plate of bread and chorizo to snack on.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    tapas can be a bit intimidating, whats the usual procedure, do you order a load of stuff off the menu at the same time and its all brought out on little plates? Is it meant for sharing? I was in one Tapas restaurant in Spain but on that occassion I was by myself ordering a beer and just one plate of bread and chorizo to snack on.

For 2 people we normally order 4-5 dishes between us and then follow on with more as required. This has often resulted in an evening spent eating and sloshing back wine which is not a bad thing either :pac:

The above takes place in a tapas bar that doesn't take reservations so you can stay as long as you want. I imagine it'll be a different story if the table you're at is needed after you though

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

Got a takeaway from Chang Mai a couple of weeks ago, while the order wasn't exactly what we ordered the food was very nice, very tasty and plenty of it.

Had dinner in Kafe Karma again last weekend, it has been renamed Sheehan's Restaurant, food was delicious and great service. Love the atmosphere in there.

Really looking forward to trying the Olive Tree, going by the menu the food sounds fab :) Interested to hear what you think of it KevinIRL.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

had Lunch in Olive tree on wednesday - very tasty, friendly, good efficient service. went with recommeddations of Meatballs, Patatas Bravas, Squid rings, Garlic Aoili, Chorizo & Bean Stew, dessert of Currios with choc sauce, coffee. Well done to the lads - love sharing food & wine - very sociable

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Was in the Olive Tree Tapas Bar last night. Really enjoyable evening, the key for me to a good tapas place is that it needs to be sociable and enjoyable. Trevor and the team at Olive Tree have created a lovely place, with a fantastic atmosphere, the staff and owner are so friendly and this really helps make the night. Example last night was the table next to us had a birthday and a cake came out with the staff singing happy birthday, after they finished, 2 Spanish guys at the next table sang Happy Birthday in Spanish! Great that they were made to feel comfortable enough to do that.

To the food, its Tapas and therefore lovely to be able to order a few times and nibble away at what you fancy. We had the prawns, mussles and olives + bread board first up. The mussles in a thick tomato soup were the stand out, I challenge anyone not to finish every drop of the soup if getting this! Next we had the Moroccan Pork, beef skewers, chicken wings, fries and potato bravas (spicy sauce), the pork was the highlight of the meal for me, really tender and lovely flavour. For a desert we had the warm churros and choc sauce, MrsIRL particularly enjoyed these.

Really reasonable prices, the whole lot plus a bottle of wine and 2 coffees came to €65. The only downside for me was not being able to eat more from the menu, will have to get back to sample more soon :pac:

Would definitely recommend a visit, next time gonna go with a group and try to order the entire menu between us. Was very busy last night so would recommend getting a reservation in for weekend nights especially

Was in the Olive Tree Tapas Bar last night. Really enjoyable evening, the key for me to a good tapas place is that it needs to be sociable and enjoyable. Trevor and the team at Olive Tree have created a lovely place, with a fantastic atmosphere, the staff and owner are so friendly and this really helps make the night. Example last night was the table next to us had a birthday and a cake came out with the staff singing happy birthday, after they finished, 2 Spanish guys at the next table sang Happy Birthday in Spanish! Great that they were made to feel comfortable enough to do that.

To the food, its Tapas and therefore lovely to be able to order a few times and nibble away at what you fancy. We had the prawns, mussles and olives + bread board first up. The mussles in a thick tomato soup were the stand out, I challenge anyone not to finish every drop of the soup if getting this! Next we had the Moroccan Pork, beef skewers, chicken wings, fries and potato bravas (spicy sauce), the pork was the highlight of the meal for me, really tender and lovely flavour. For a desert we had the warm churros and choc sauce, MrsIRL particularly enjoyed these.

Really reasonable prices, the whole lot plus a bottle of wine and 2 coffees came to €65. The only downside for me was not being able to eat more from the menu, will have to get back to sample more soon :pac:

Would definitely recommend a visit, next time gonna go with a group and try to order the entire menu between us. Was very busy last night so would recommend getting a reservation in for weekend nights especially

sounds good. i wonder do they have a baby/toddler seat in there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

sounds good. i wonder do they have a baby/toddler seat in there?

They're hoping for a high chair this week I think I saw something on their fb

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

Lads, any recommendations for an early bird (5pm-ish) tonight? Caveat: must be easy to park near.

Usually I'd bring the gang to Eddie Rockets, but I don't think it's open yet? Anywhere like that, where it's easy to pull into would be ideal

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭madfcuker

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    Lads, any recommendations for an early bird (5pm-ish) tonight? Caveat: must be easy to park near.

Usually I'd bring the gang to Eddie Rockets, but I don't think it's open yet? Anywhere like that, where it's easy to pull into would be ideal

Oskars perhaps. Plenty of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

If you were willing to drive out Brooklyn in tramore is a nice family spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

sillysocks wrote: »
    If you were willing to drive out Brooklyn in tramore is a nice family spot.

wheres Brooklyn to a local like me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The Brasserie has stopped its ''kids eat free all day '' special , from today

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bobbyn

wheres Brooklyn to a local like me

Brooklyn is other end of prom to the amusements. Opposite lifeguard hut. They do delicious food and lovely restaurant. They make their own desserts n cupcakes(to die for ) with great service any time I was there.

Bobbyn wrote: »
    Brooklyn is other end of prom to the amusements. Opposite lifeguard hut. They do delicious food and lovely restaurant. They make their own desserts n cupcakes(to die for ) with great service any time I was there.

cool, thanks for that.
    is that where lido's used to be

katydid wrote: »
    No. 9?

Restaurant in George's court previously Brunch. Table service now and play room for kids is very handy for coffee with friends as kids entertained.

Desserts are lovely but lunch can be hit and miss. Got garlic bread with chowder and the bread was rock hard with no fish taste from chowder only herbs.friend got burger but bun was crunchy and dry. The mac and cheese was delicious and pea ham soup very tasty and filling.

cool, thanks for that.
    is that where lido's used to be

There was a pizza place before but not sure of name. It's the first building coming from arcade side of prom.

• Advertisement

The Brasserie has stopped its ''kids eat free all day '' special , from today

Not many doing kids eat free anymore. Even free babybowls are harder to find.

There was a pizza place before but not sure of name. It's the first building coming from arcade side of prom.

yeah thats the place, azzorios or some name like that were the last place, ok thanks ill give it a try

Not many doing kids eat free anymore. Even free babybowls are harder to find.

No9 in georges court done free baby bowl for us when we were in there. 2 adults dinners, one baby bowl, free. lovely in there, lovely staff, good diner/bistro type grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Xyo

No9 in georges court done free baby bowl for us when we were in there. 2 adults dinners, one baby bowl, free. lovely in there, lovely staff, good diner/bistro type grub.

Most places will give a free baby bowl, i'd be shocked if a place charged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Was there today, found it great! Kids had a good time too. Loved the atmosphere and decor and the staff were very attentive and friendly. Food was nice and didn't break the bank either! Would definitely recommend it to families with small kids especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Was in the Olive Tree Tapas Bar last night. Really enjoyable evening, the key for me to a good tapas place is that it needs to be sociable and enjoyable.

Do you know if its wheel chair accessible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Was in the Tapas place at the weekend, loved it. Was a good few groups there so was very loud but suppose it is Christmas party season!

Sparkling Sea, I would think it is, don't remember any step into it, and there's some tables at the front near the door from memory so you wouldn't have to navigate around too many tables but that's all just from memory so probably better to ring or even ask them on their Facebook page. Owner is very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Had the Christmas party in The Reg last night. I had the chicken liver pate to start and thought it was very tasty although a few more pieces of toast would have been nice. Had the pork belly for main and was very disappointed to see a big lump of fat served on top of mash. It was a bad cut with feck all meat on it and hadn't been trimmed properly. I'm surprised a chef would let it leave the kitchen. One of the guys had the same but he got a lovely cut with plenty of meat on it. Had crime brûlée for dessert which was decent enough.

On a side note, I have to say the service was absolutely fantastic and every single one of the waiting staff were polite, attentive and helpful. They were extremely busy but it didn't affect their standards one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Was in The Olive Tree for dinner the other night. Am delighted to see somewhere like it in Waterford. The food was superb and the service the same...there were six of us in a group and after the meal we were enjoying the wine and not really sure about where to go next (because of the crowds all around town) and they brought over a game for us to play. I have never seen anything like that in a restaurant, anywhere. It was something about having to guess the song from your friends humming it. Great fun and really topped off the evening for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

We had dinner in Espresso last night with some of my family who were visiting for the weekend. The food was, as per anytime I have eaten there, gorgeous! Had the penne toscana and it was just delicious - my sister was delighted that they did it gluten free for her.
    Only complaint is about the waitresses. I'm going to assume they are just part-time for Christmas as we have never had an experience like it before.
    We were served by 3 different waitresses and they all slammed things down on the table causing drinks to spill everywhere, they were sliding plates across the table instead of walking around to each side to serve up the plates of food, on two occasions one of the waitresses was actually leaning quite heavily on my shoulder while she slid plates across the table, when one of the waitresses brought the starters my starter slid the whole way across the plate and almost off the plate into my lap (some of the sauce spilled onto my clothes), no apology, and when we were all finished we asked for the bill and waited 15 minutes and had to ask again. When we were leaving I was looking around for another member of staff that I've seen there before just to mention the above but there was nobody around.
    Only a very slight complaint because the food was lovely but I just think that maybe they need to give their part-timers a little more training.

Also, on a side note, our main courses were served at around 8:15 and we were told that the restaurant was out of parmesan... just thought that was a little funny in an italian bistro...

Advertisement