Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

But my main point is where else every do you just get a piece of meat on aplate with nothing else? it looks terrible... even a bit of salad to decorate the plate would help visually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

But my main point is where else every do you just get a piece of meat on aplate with nothing else? it looks terrible... even a bit of salad to decorate the plate would help visually.

Yeah, does sound a bit odd alright. But the thing with ordering sides as extras is a different thing - a bit of a pain, but if you know it before you go there, you can decide whether or not to go there.

katydid wrote: »
    Yeah, does sound a bit odd alright. But the thing with ordering sides as extras is a different thing - a bit of a pain, but if you know it before you go there, you can decide whether or not to go there.

Not to nit-pick but I does not say anywhere on the menu that the mains do not come with anything. just gives options of sides.

As I have said I have ordered mains many-many times before and also sides but have never seen a steak served on a plate with NOTHING else. This is not about the issue of having to order sides, it is about a restaurant serving food that does not look appealing. You eat food with your eyes before you eat it with your mouth and when it arrives bare you are instantly disappointed. I have spoken to a number of people that have eaten there and everyone agrees that it just looks wrong. Food should look like "yum I want to eat it" and this does not. I have owned a restaurant, worked as a restaurant manager and currently work reviewing hotels, and the number one rule is to make your food look great so the customer wants to tuck-in.

Just some constructive opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Loko:

Is it really acceptable to serve a piece of steak on a plate with NOTHING else?

So it forces you to purchase veg and or potatoes or chips?

I ordered steak thinking that it would come with something...was amazed to just get a piece of meat on a plate. It looks very poor and is giving a bad image of the price policy. even if there was a bit of salad to fill the plate or something?

thoughts, comments?

It's a scam to make the prices look cheap, simple, this is not a comment particularly aimed at LOKO, but at any restaurant that starts this crack,it started a few years ago, and at this stage it immediately puts me off a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

wellboytoo wrote: »
    It's a scam to make the prices look cheap, simple, this is not a comment particularly aimed at LOKO, but at any restaurant that starts this crack,it started a few years ago, and at this stage it immediately puts me off a restaurant.

That sort of carry on puts me right off a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Deise2015

I never look any further than Emilianos. It ticks all the big three boxes:
    Great food
    Great staff
    Great atmosphere

Deise2015 wrote: »
    I never look any further than Emilianos. It ticks all the big three boxes:
    Great food
    Great staff
    Great atmosphere

Funny how small things put you off a place. The food is good, I'll give you that, but I was put off it when I went there with a group of friends one night for an early bird. One of the group arrived just after seven - the rest of us were seated with our menus since about quarter to, but we waited for her to arrive before ordering. When the waiter came around at five past seven, and I went to order from the early bird menu, he ostentatiously looked at his watch, sighed, and said he'd have to check if we could still have it. I thought it was rude and needless; they were getting the business of six people.

He came back and "graciously" said we could order from the early bird menu. But it spoiled the night, and I haven't been back there since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Deise2015

Funny how small things put you off a place. The food is good, I'll give you that, but I was put off it when I went there with a group of friends one night for an early bird. One of the group arrived just after seven - the rest of us were seated with our menus since about quarter to, but we waited for her to arrive before ordering. When the waiter came around at five past seven, and I went to order from the early bird menu, he ostentatiously looked at his watch, sighed, and said he'd have to check if we could still have it. I thought it was rude and needless; they were getting the business of six people.

He came back and "graciously" said we could order from the early bird menu. But it spoiled the night, and I haven't been back there since.

That was harsh alright, especially when you were there for 6.45pm. I remember reading a statistic somewhere before that the biggest reason that customers stop using a business/service is that they feel that they were unappreciated or taken for granted. It was for that reason in over 60% of cases. Clearly they have lost a good customer in you :) …..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

It would not be the waiters call in all honesty so he would have to go and check, explain that you had been there since 6.45 etc to the kitchen/management and make sure it was ok and that they weren't going to wear the face off him when he brought the order unannounced.

Great place I agree, I am a demon for little things putting me off places too though I would urge you to give them another chance at some point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

In fairness a lot of the restaurants in town will tell you when booking for an early bird that the order must be in before 6.30/7. Not that you have to be there by then but ordered by then.

• Advertisement

sillysocks wrote: »
    In fairness a lot of the restaurants in town will tell you when booking for an early bird that the order must be in before 6.30/7. Not that you have to be there by then but ordered by then.

I know, but we were all there and were waiting for our friend. If they had that policy they could have come over to us and pointed it out as it came near the time.

It wasn't even the fact that he said it, it was the haughty attitude. The dramatic examining of the watch, the sigh....it was just plain rude.

Anyway, it's in the past. All I'm saying is that things like that can put customers off. Of course Early Birds have to have limits and rules, but restaurants have to balance them with customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭deisemum

I like the food in Emiliano's but there are a couple of waiters with a very bad attitude that's off putting and it's not a one off either.

deisemum wrote: »
    I like the food in Emiliano's but there are a couple of waiters with a very bad attitude that's off putting and it's not a one off either.

Interesting. My incident was about four years ago.

I have had the good fortune of only having good ones in that case :) Though in fairness any time I have been there it has been one of 3 servers (owner included) who have taken the order so not a huge sample size

L'atmosphere run the early bird right through the evening now, I suppose it's more like the Menu dejour in France now. Good idea though €20. for a meal out inc a glass of wine.

wellboytoo wrote: »
    L'atmosphere run the early bird right through the evening now, I suppose it's more like the Menu dejour in France now. Good idea though €20. for a meal out inc a glass of wine.

It's a brilliant offer. Their beef bourguignon is to die for, and it's almost always on that value menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

looking to plan an overnight in waterford, could any locals recommend a vegan friendly restaurant or somewhere nice that might be accommodating to dietary needs?

Not exactly a restaurant but do Londis in the cleaboy have the worst staff in the town? They must surely go close! Standing at the deli today waiting while 4 of them had a chat about where to get the bag of coal from now on, for their homes.

Then Im the asshole when I ask them if one of them would like to serve me :)

Yes I have mentioned it to the manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

kryogen wrote: »
    Not exactly a restaurant but do Londis in the cleaboy have the worst staff in the town? They must surely go close! Standing at the deli today waiting while 4 of them had a chat about where to get the bag of coal from now on, for their homes.

Then Im the asshole when I ask them if one of them would like to serve me :)

Yes I have mentioned it to the manager.

Yeah they've been bad for a long time. Some of the younger girls are alright but there's one girl there who's probably in her thirties and I swear I don't think I've ever seen a trace of happiness cross her face.

I thought when Londis bought them out and new management came in (presumably), that would change but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have done so.

It's a pity because it's actually a pretty decent shop these days.

I still pop in now and then when I have to but bar one or two I honestly couldn't say any of them have left me with a good impression unfortunately.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    I still pop in now and then when I have to but bar one or two I honestly couldn't say any of them have left me with a good impression unfortunately.

I actually knew someone who used to say " business would be great only for the effing customers" and he wasn't joking, it is incredible how owner/managers allow this to go on, it's only a matter of training monitoring and if they still don't get it move them on.

surpy wrote: »
    looking to plan an overnight in waterford, could any locals recommend a vegan friendly restaurant or somewhere nice that might be accommodating to dietary needs?
    I'm not really sure what a vegan diet is, but Indian restaurants are often good for vegetarians, if it's similar. Café Goa on the Quay, opposite the Bus Station is a good Indian restaurant. Sabai on the Mall do very good Thai/Asian food. For tapas, the Olive Tree on the Mall is good.
    Momo on Patrick Street, opposite the cinema, do very nice vegetarian food, and you can do a sharing platter where you get to taste a bit of everything. I'm not a vegetarian but I love their stuff.

This may not be of any help to you if a vegan diet is totally different from vegetarian, but of all of the above, I'd give Momo a go, as they go out of their way to do vegetarian dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

new restaurant called MOMO
    heres the menu
    http://momorestaurant.ie/menus/Momo_menus.pdf

My wife vegan and we go into L'atmosphere and they always have a nice 3 course option for her.
    Have been many times and never a problem. just explain no dairy/meat/fish as the waiter is usually French. Enjoy

My wife vegan and we go into L'atmosphere and they always have a nice 3 course option for her.
    Have been many times and never a problem. just explain no dairy/meat/fish as the waiter is usually French. Enjoy

I'm pleasantly surprised. I was there a few years ago with a friend who was vegetarian and there was very little for her. The French aren't great at vegetarian/vegan stuff. I did notice when I was there about three weeks ago that they had vegetarian options alright, so things are improving.

I'm pleasantly surprised. I was there a few years ago with a friend who was vegetarian and there was very little for her. The French aren't great at vegetarian/vegan stuff. I did notice when I was there about three weeks ago that they had vegetarian options alright, so things are improving.

If you ask they will do anything you ask for...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Four of us ate lunch in Momo today and really enjoyed our food. We each had a different dish; toastie, chicken burger special, tempura white fish and an open sambo all of which were very tasty leading to clean plates all round. We were also given a complimentary hot drink with lemon and ginger which was welcomed for the day that was in it! All were happily fed for €39 and the service was without fault.

Congrats to all involved and keep up the good work.

If you ask they will do anything you ask for...
    That's true. They're very accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 budgie30

I have to totally disagree with you, I shop at Londis Cleaboy on a daily basis. I find the deli to have excellent food and customer service. I find all the girls in there very friendly and couldn't knock them at all....

• Advertisement

budgie30 wrote: »
    I have to totally disagree with you, I shop at Londis Cleaboy on a daily basis. I find the deli to have excellent food and customer service. I find all the girls in there very friendly and couldn't knock them at all....

Well fair play to you budgie30 your very first post on boards and you swing into defense of people none of us heard of before and we know you don't work there yourself or are related to them in any way........

Advertisement