Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 budgie30

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Well fair play to you budgie30 your very first post on boards and you swing into defense of people none of us heard of before and we know you don't work there yourself or are related to them in any way........

Yes my very 1st post..not new to boards.ie, registered to be able to comment...I'm from that area and have shopped in this store for many years. I am not defending anyone in particular nor am I related to anyone working there or ever worked there..I'm just simply stating I find it a friendly store to shop in and disagree with the original comment. I like you am entitled to my own opinion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Had dinner in Waterford a week or so before Christmas. Tried a few restaurants and they were all booked out. Emilianos were very nice but didn't have a table for over an hour so we moved onwards to La Palma. Chap that was there wasn't at all friendly - stuck his head out the door, said he didn't have a table and proceeded to look me up and down as we headed away. I was coming from work and in a suit!

Went then into Sabai. Popped in around 6.45 and was shown a number of menus including the early bird. Didn't get served until 7 and when herself tried to order from the early bird, the lady that was serving looked at her watch and said it was too late! So that was a little frustrating. First time in a restaurant I asked for Orange and got juice instead of Club Orange! :D First time in a Thai restaurant, nice setting and enjoyed the food. Had the duck, little bit tasteless, but I think that's because I asked for it to be mild so would probably ask for something with a bit more bite to eat in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Went to Harliquin today, it's been a while but it never disappoints. Friendly service, stunning food (imo), washed down with a lovely glass of house white. The kind of food you crave again later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

One of Waterfords gems alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

What do people think Waterford is missing in regards food outlets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

bush wrote: »

Marks and Spencer's. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Nando's... 100%

Also somewhere like Zuni in Kilkenny

But I'd settle for Nando's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Went to Nando's in Mahon Point recently, it was nice but nothing more than that. Thought it was expensive for what we got.

Nandos would be good but they don't franchise here and have no plans to open in Waterford in the future afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

kryogen wrote: »
    Not exactly a restaurant but do Londis in the cleaboy have the worst staff in the town? They must surely go close! Standing at the deli today waiting while 4 of them had a chat about where to get the bag of coal from now on, for their homes.

Then Im the asshole when I ask them if one of them would like to serve me :)

Yes I have mentioned it to the manager.

I have to completely agree with you there. I think Londis is a great shop and the opening hours are much improved but I refuse to ever go to the deli again. There used to be a horrible girl (early 30s id say) working there with this older woman in her 50s with glasses and she had the worst manner of any shop I have ever been to in my life, absolutely zero customer service skills- she would just look at you and not even say "Can I help you" or even smile at you. If you dared to ask for more than one item she would roll her eyes and then throw your wrap/roll at you. I was actually extremely close one day to telling her one day she should sue the charm school she went to but instead I told the manager she was completely unsuitable for the job.

She must have got a lot of complaints because now shes on the till and is actually decent enough, maybe the manager had a word with her. But i still wouldnt go to the deli, they stand around chatting and try to make you feel like you are a burden for wanting something, I mean its your job so get on with it and stop being so miserable. Theres one little woman there with a Northern accent who i wouldnt deal with anymore after she dismissed me on front of other customers for asking would there be cold meat available later on, awful manner. The manager has made a lot of good changes in the deli but the old gang from the deli need to go if I was ever to return.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

lassykk wrote: »
    Nando's... 100%

Also somewhere like Zuni in Kilkenny

But I'd settle for Nando's

Ah come on the you can't be serious Zunni's and Nando's in the same sentence' miles between them.
    What we are missing? Japanese and Mexican for me, but I hear rumours the people who bought Fitzpatricks are opening a Japanese restaurant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I'd love a Greek restaurant.

Ah come on the you can't be serious Zunni's and Nando's in the same sentence' miles between them.
    What we are missing? Japanese and Mexican for me, but I hear rumours the people who bought Fitzpatricks are opening a Japanese restaurant.

Had a lovely meal in Zuni's last year, but the overall experience did leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Had a lovely meal in Zuni's last year, but the overall experience did leave a sour taste in the mouth.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I'm not a food snob.. Some days I feel like McDonalds and some days I feel like something fancy. I am well aware that they aren't the same class of cuisine!

The question was what are we missing and I think we are missing Nando's and a Zuni equivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

We need less chain restaurants and more local owned and run places(who source food locally) like Bodega, La Palma, Momo and cafe goa.

Plenty of them too tbf, McLearys, Emilianos, Sabai, La Fontana, Olive Tree etc

Something along the lines of a mexican restaurant is what I would love

Lovely meal in Momo tonight. Shame, though, that they close early on a Sunday. You'd think that with the cinema across the road and everything they'd be cathing the cinema trade.

Having said that, it was delicious, and excellent value. The plate of breads with humus and relish for €2.50 was gorgeous and did two for a starter.

Momo is on the list to try next time I get out, some great reviews lately after a mixed start, great to hear :)

Plenty of them too tbf, McLearys, Emilianos, Sabai, La Fontana, Olive Tree etc

Something along the lines of a mexican restaurant is what I would love

Yes, a Mexican restaurant would be good. But then you get a lot of Mexican or Tex-Mex food in other restaurants. They don't have the Mexican ambiance, though.

I want a Greek restaurant with false vines all over the ceiling, and swarthy waiters with big moustaches. If I can't have that, I'd at least like gorgeous Greek food.

• Advertisement

There was a great Mexican restaurant I visited in Poznan, think it simply called The Mexican :)

Atmosphere and decor were excellent and if it was your birthday Zorro came to cut your cake

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

We need less chain restaurants and more local owned and run places(who source food locally) like Bodega, La Palma, Momo and cafe goa.

Special mention to Dennisons up at the Forum too - they actually grow a lot of the veg they serve and rear their own chickens and pigs for the restaurant. Most of the staff are family too which is nice to see.

Special mention to Dennisons up at the Forum too - they actually grow a lot of the veg they serve and rear their own chickens and pigs for the restaurant. Most of the staff are family too which is nice to see.

Do they really? Didn't know that. Fair play to them, more of that kind of stuff would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Do they really? Didn't know that. Fair play to them, more of that kind of stuff would be great!

Yea, Tom Doorley was singing their praises in the paper before Xmas. I've eaten there twice and really enjoyed it, it's simple enough food but done really well.

I'd also like to see a good quality Japanese restaurant. Been to a few overseas where everyone sits around the chef in the middle and he/she cooks the food right in front of you while also flicking bits of fried egg at you to catch in your mouth. Good fun.

Ah yeah, the Asian chefs cooking right in front of you is always a nice treat to see, only ever see it when on holiday though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Ah yeah, the Asian chefs cooking right in front of you is always a nice treat to see, only ever see it when on holiday though :)

heard today a japanese company have bought Manor Court Lodge (fitzpatricks) as a restaurant......taasty

jennygirl wrote: »
    heard today a japanese company have bought Manor Court Lodge (fitzpatricks) as a restaurant......taasty

Heard it was going to re open as a Japanese place alright, daring anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AnneSam

Went to burzza with Himself on Sunday night, absolutely loved it. Nice simple menu fantastic flavours, juicy burgers, the pesto garlic fries were perfect and the key lime pie was just gorgeous. Very chilled out atmosphere, great friendly staff and just a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Will definitely be returning, frequently!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

For those of you looking for Mexican food I can highly recommend Amigos in Johnstown. I go regularly for lunch. Burritos with pulled beef, salsa,guacamole can't beat it !

• Advertisement

MillyD123 wrote: »
    For those of you looking for Mexican food I can highly recommend Amigos in Johnstown. I go regularly for lunch. Burritos with pulled beef, salsa,guacamole can't beat it !

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that. Great, authentic stuff.

Advertisement