Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,211 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    All is Lost with Robert Redford is on the Brazilian Netflix.

Just after watching it and it was a great survival movie. Redford is literally the only actor in the whole film but it was gripping from start to finish and he puts in a great performance. Also since there's barely any dialogue in the film at all the Portuguese subtitles weren't a problem :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Watching the 100 on the Canadian Netflix. Only a few episodes in but it seems interesting enough. If you interested in post apocalyptic setting with a little bit of sci fi its worth a watch.

I watched all of this at US pace earlier this year. Started off pretty standard teen fare but really picked it up about 4/5 episodes in. Was one of the standout shows of last (TV) year for me. Never thought I'd say that about a CW show :D

Community on Canadian netflix.

Loved it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Nebraska Netflix Canada.
    Saw this in the cinema, loved it. Beautifully shot in black and white. Great score, great acting. I thoroughly recommend giving this a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Netflix Canada is a bit of a hidden gem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The final episode of the IT Crowd lasted about 5 minutes before switching off, because of the stupid fake background laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    All is Lost with Robert Redford is on the Brazilian Netflix.

Just after watching it and it was a great survival movie. Redford is literally the only actor in the whole film but it was gripping from start to finish and he puts in a great performance. Also since there's barely any dialogue in the film at all the Portuguese subtitles weren't a problem :)

No way of switching off the subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Watched Goodbye World on Netflix US last night. Is not bad. Your man from Entourage is in it, and some randomers. It's about some people holed up in a farm during an unspecified apocalypse. Is more about vegetables and old enmity than zombies tho.

vidor wrote: »
    No way of switching off the subs?

Certain vpn services offer the option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Apparently this works too, but I haven't tried it yet personally.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,211 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Netflix Canada is a bit of a hidden gem.

Yeah, by far the catalog I get the most mileage out of!

Case in point, Moonrise Kingdom just added to it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ray Donovan - Season 1 added to Netflix Netherlands

Elementary - Season 1 added to Netflix Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Oak76 wrote: »
    Apparently this works too, but I haven't tried it yet personally.
    It does. Works a treat actually. Was able to watch Lee Daniel's The Butler on Brazilian netflix without the subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Charlie19 wrote: »
    The final episode of the IT Crowd lasted about 5 minutes before switching off, because of the stupid fake background laughing.

I thought this when watching on TV! They leave the laugh track on too long and you miss some of the dialogue

I mentioned it in the TV forum but people got way too angry and said it was a live audience. Shows with live audiences always edit and add a recorded laugh track. Hence the consistent laughs and why they always manage to stop laughing before the next dialogue(except in this case :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Nut Job which is in cinemas here now is on Netflix US.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Started watching Utopia on the Irish netflix the last day. About halfway through season 1 and enjoying it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Started watching Utopia on the Irish netflix the last day. About halfway through season 1 and enjoying it so far.

Watched it last week myself, very good! Season 2 is on 4OD I think

Gave Nebraska a watch last night. Really great film. It revisits similar ground to Payne's other films, About Schmidt in particular. It's a much safer film than About Schmidt in that the characters are a fair bit more likable but that doesn't take anything away from it in my opinion.

Bruce Dern and June Squibb give great performances but in very different ways. Squibb provides a fair few of the belly laughs in the film but I think it's Dern's understated performance that really steals the show. As the film goes on we learn more and more about the character and it all serves to increase the poignancy on show and the revelations about him and what's bubbling under the surface are what raise this beyond just being a 'nice' film.

The black and white also works really well, some of the shots of the midwest setting are gorgeous.

Mickeroo wrote: »

The black and white also works really well, some of the shots of the midwest setting are gorgeous.

I was reading somewhere the other day that US networks are insisting on showing the colour version when it airs on TV there. Seems stupid when the director clearly made the decision to film it in black and white.

I was reading somewhere the other day that US networks are insisting on showing the colour version when it airs on TV there. Seems stupid when the director clearly made the decision to film it in black and white.

Payne is on record as saying he hopes no-one ever sees that version, from reading up there it sounds like he was forced to make it for a few asian markets where the tv stations won't show any B&W films. Bit ridiculous that american networks are going to show that version but you're right it seems: http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/aug/06/nebraska-colour-tv-premiere-alexander-payne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

I'd recommend Blue Mountain State, it came up in my suggestions and it was very good and well worth a watch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

nicki11 wrote: »
    I'd recommend Blue Mountain State, it came up in my suggestions and it was very good and well worth a watch

Loved that programme!

Watched it ages ago.

Really excited for the upcoming film, even backed it on KickStarter :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Watched Trees Lounge on UK Netflix the other day.Darkly funny,and very sad at times but very enjoyable.

Steve Buscemi is fantastic in it,and there's lots of other recognizable faces that pop up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Watched Trees Lounge on UK Netflix the other day.Darkly funny,and very sad at times but very enjoyable.

Steve Buscemi is fantastic in it,and there's lots of other recognizable faces that pop up too.

Agreed , understated but really good performances

Blue is the Warmest Colour and Top of the Lake have been added to UK/Ireland.

Meant to watch Top of the Lake last year on BBC but they kept showing ads for it "coming soon" and then stuck it on without ever saying it was on!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Top of the lake is very Campion. Nice to look at but very emotionally detached. It garnered some outstanding reviews but I thought it highly overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Started watching Orange is the New Black after feeling left out of conversations. Good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Trees Lounge is a minor classic. Saw it back in the day when it came out. Watched it again on TV some time back and its aged well. Glad to see it getting some love here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Still making my way through Prison Break, still really enjoying it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

Still making my way through Prison Break, still really enjoying it :pac:

its really good. the series in panama is immense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement