Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Homeland is also a remake of an Israeli tv series.
    Indeed it is. Yes, to clarify, I wasn't saying Homeland was cogging the idea from the Manchurian candidate I was just saying the idea of it was done as a movie many years ago...
    I wouldn't say it was wrapped up satisfactorily. It was wrapped up but it could have been wrapped up in S2 easily enough. I would say it's fairly obvious they had no idea how to drag it out more and I don't know why they did. The amount of nonsense in S3 that, to me, was obviously there to fill time was ridiculous. All the focus on Dana, Brody in Caracas and the last few episodes leading up to the end, which I was fine with, were also a bit far fetched and not at all in keeping with the high quality they'd had through S1 and most of S2.
    I'd agree it could've been wrapped earlier but not by that much... I think, for example, Supernatural should've ended with S5 but there's plenty that'd disagree :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭boccy23

noodler wrote: »
    I personally never had any doubts Vic was evil!

But that's the attraction of the show isn't it. His treatment of all around him, wife, kids, colleagues, superiors, gangs - everyone.

Loved it when it was on. May go back and watch it all again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Separate threads for film & TV
    Eamo71 wrote: »
    I'd agree it could've been wrapped earlier but not by that much... I think, for example, Supernatural should've ended with S5 but there's plenty that'd disagree :-)

I think the problem with Homeland was that the powers that be seemed to think the success of the show was based on the Brody/Carrie relationship whereas I don't think very many people cared about that, or even liked it. Also they seemed hellbent on redeeming him when I don't think that was necessary either. I think they could easily have gotten rid of Brody at the end of S2, maybe have him
    actually be responsible for the bomb, and die with it
    . Even then the stupid Dana stuff in S3 would have made more sense, not that they'd have needed to keep his family around if he was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think the problem with Homeland was that the powers that be seemed to think the success of the show was based on the Brody/Carrie relationship whereas I don't think very many people cared about that, or even liked it. Also they seemed hellbent on redeeming him when I don't think that was necessary either. I think they could easily have gotten rid of Brody at the end of S2, maybe have him
    actually be responsible for the bomb, and die with it
    . Even then the stupid Dana stuff in S3 would have made more sense, not that they'd have needed to keep his family around if he was gone.

Couldn't agree more, the Dana stuff and Brody/Carrie stuff was such a chore to watch, by season 2 I didn't give a damn them.

I never bothered with series 2 of Homeland, I enjoyed the first series right up until the moment when you knew it was supposed to end and after reading an interview where the show runner mentioned the 5 year plan for the show I just lost interest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I watched the first season and thought it was brilliant, lost interest half way through the second

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I watched the first season and thought it was brilliant, lost interest half way through the second

In fairness claire danes was brilliant, but the story was a let down. too much unbelievable moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I never bothered with series 2 of Homeland, I enjoyed the first series right up until the moment when you knew it was supposed to end and after reading an interview where the show runner mentioned the 5 year plan for the show I just lost interest.

I remember after season 2 the maker/writer of the show did an interview(on IGN i think) saying "I am still not sure
    who the mole will be."
    That showed me 100% that they had no plan and were just making things up as they went along.
    They should of had new characters per season. Season 1 was amazing because of the suspense and mystery surrounding Brody. Was he a double agent? After that they just reverted to the bad parts of 24

EyeSight wrote: »
    I remember after season 2 the maker/writer of the show did an interview(on IGN i think) saying "I am still not sure
    who the mole will be."
    That showed me 100% that they had no plan and were just making things up as they went along.

Have they even revealed that yet?

Claire Danes was great over the first 2 seasons, she was alright in the 3rd too but they can only do so much with the writing they're given. To be fair I reckon the CIA would've had her shot about half way through S1, no way they'd have allowed all that carry on.

homeland made the CIA look like an gardai siochana. If they were that rubbish at their jobs, america would be burning at the moment.

Had potential though, but they facked it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Have they even revealed that yet?
    Not sure, i gave up at the end of season 2 :)

Since Netflix had involvement/money in the Fall season 1 and had it on Netflix USA soon after its release. Will this be the same for season 2?

EyeSight wrote: »
    Not sure, i gave up at the end of season 2 :)

Since Netflix had involvement/money in the Fall season 1 and had it on Netflix USA soon after its release. Will this be the same for season 2?

Netflix had The Fall added to the US Region before it even finished airing over here. Think they had it up the week episode 1 was on over here.

^ I'm pretty sure that what happened with The Fall last year was that there was a set date for Netflix to put it up that should have been after it aired but BBC kept delaying the air date and by the time they got around to showing it that date had arrived and Netflix didn't care that BBC hadn't shown it all and they stuck it up anyway.

That's what I read a while ago anyway. RTÉ were a few days ahead of BBC with the airing but I assume their dates are tied together too.

^ I'm pretty sure that what happened with The Fall last year was that there was a set date for Netflix to put it up that should have been after it aired but BBC kept delaying the air date and by the time they got around to showing it that date had arrived and Netflix didn't care that BBC hadn't shown it all and they stuck it up anyway.

That's what I read a while ago anyway. RTÉ were a few days ahead of BBC with the airing but I assume their dates are tied together too.

BBC did delay it a number of times but someone who is working on the second series told me that as far as they are aware, episodes will be added to Netflix the day after they air on BBC. It's not 100% but would make sense considering it's what they've been doing with a number of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've watched a few Stand-up performances on the Canadian netflix that where recommended in this thread and have to say that Bill Burr was by far the best. Burr would definitely be up there with the likes of Louis CK and Frankie Boyle.

I couldn't warm to Mike Birbigilia and switched him off after a half hour. John Mulaney wasn't bad and he be the type of comedian that be grand to watch with the in-laws(if you know what I mean).

I haven't yet found anything from Steve Hughes and didn't get around to deciding on what gig to choose from the material by George Carlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Hunger Games Catching Fire is on the US one now, not sure how long thats been there

BBC did delay it a number of times but someone who is working on the second series told me that as far as they are aware, episodes will be added to Netflix the day after they air on BBC. It's not 100% but would make sense considering it's what they've been doing with a number of others.

Well adding it an episode at a time makes sense and works for everyone. The BBC were advertising the first series during the Olympics but it didn't end up airing until the following year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Criminal Minds season 1-9 is on the US site

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A tonne of Red Bull extreme sports films have been added to the Irish site over the last few days. Art of Flight is probably the cream of the crop, really brilliantly shot. From what I've seen of Where the Trail Ends it could be worth a watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Guys is goodwill hunting on netflix ?

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Guys is goodwill hunting on netflix ?

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 27,900 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Roquentin wrote: »
    yes

Sorry I should have asked which netflix. It doesn't show up in the Canadian or US one.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Sorry I should have asked which netflix. It doesn't show up in the Canadian or US one.

irish netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Guys any good sci-fi recommendations for tonight ? Dose not matter what region :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,409 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Guys any good sci-fi recommendations for tonight ? Dose not matter what region :-)

The Cube on Netflix Sweeden.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

thanks haven't seen that yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,409 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

thanks haven't seen that yet!

Cube 1 is one of the most original sci-fi's made, Cube 2 isn't great and Cube 3 is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I've watched a few Stand-up performances on the Canadian netflix that where recommended in this thread and have to say that Bill Burr was by far the best. Burr would definitely be up there with the likes of Louis CK and Frankie Boyle.

I couldn't warm to Mike Birbigilia and switched him off after a half hour. John Mulaney wasn't bad and he be the type of comedian that be grand to watch with the in-laws(if you know what I mean).

I haven't yet found anything from Steve Hughes and didn't get around to deciding on what gig to choose from the material by George Carlin.

You are all diseased

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Love those films.

Really interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Love those films.

Really interesting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement