Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I've watched a few Stand-up performances on the Canadian netflix that where recommended in this thread and have to say that Bill Burr was by far the best. Burr would definitely be up there with the likes of Louis CK and Frankie Boyle.

I couldn't warm to Mike Birbigilia and switched him off after a half hour. John Mulaney wasn't bad and he be the type of comedian that be grand to watch with the in-laws(if you know what I mean).

I haven't yet found anything from Steve Hughes and didn't get around to deciding on what gig to choose from the material by George Carlin.

Doug Stanhope's stuff is worth a watch.Definitely not in-law friendly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ya Doug Stanhope and Frankie Boyle are the 2 best comedians i have seen on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

Not sure if its been mentioned but Frozen is up on the Dutch Netflix. Handy for the kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

I've been having some issues with an extension I use while watching Netflix for the last week or so. While this extension is enabled in Chrome, Netflix refuses to load at all, whereas when this extension is removed, it works perfectly, but it's quite an important extension that I wouldn't like to do without. Has this ever happened to anyone before? :confused: It's getting a bit annoying now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

You are all diseased

I watched that last night and he wasn't bad, some of his gags were fairly offensive and controversial, just how I like them.

Going to watch one the late 70s and a more recent one to see how his style compares.

Yeah Doug isn't bad I had watched one last week and forgot to mention it my earlier post.

• Advertisement

Separate threads for film & TV
    Just noticed that Johnny Suede is up on Netflix and from a glance at the run time it would appear to be Tom DiCillo's director's cut which removes close to 8 minutes of footage as well as the narration that Harvey Scissorsfingers insisted upon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Has anyone come across Metástasis? It's a remake of Breaking Bad but in Spanish. Can't find it on Netflix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Met%C3%A1stasis

Has anyone come across Metástasis? It's a remake of Breaking Bad but in Spanish. Can't find it on Netflix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Met%C3%A1stasis

It's on Hulu.

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is now on the Irish Netflix. It's from the same directors of the brilliant Amer and is supposed to be just as dark and twisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears is now on the Irish Netflix. It's from the same directors of the brilliant Amer and is supposed to be just as dark and twisted.

They say you can't judge a book by it's cover but I've been eagerly waiting for this since I saw the Art Noveau poster for it a few months ago.Looks reminiscent of Argento when he was good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Great film, just not one to watch if you want to turn your brain off and relax. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

krudler wrote: »
    The Hunger Games Catching Fire is on the US one now, not sure how long thats been there

Don't see it up there on the US one??

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

noodler wrote: »
    Don't see it up there on the US one??

Don't think it's on there, tis on Canada though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Apologies it is the Canadian one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Probably there awhile but just noticed Fargo the TV series is on Netflix Netherlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Footoo

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Probably there awhile but just noticed Fargo the TV series is on Netflix Netherlands.
    Ya... I think they were adding this episode by episode as soon as it aired on TV in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭deisedude

Watched the first episode of Bojack Horseman. Very poor so far. Anyone watch more episodes, does it get any better? Amazing cast of voice actors on paper

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Status Offline

deisedude wrote: »
    Watched the first episode of Bojack Horseman. Very poor so far. Anyone watch more episodes, does it get any better? Amazing cast of voice actors on paper

Didn't like the first one much either but it's a rare show that hits its prime on its first episode, so I watched a few more.They get a lot better, I 'd say by the 4th one they've hit their stride, pretty much the same as most decent shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Haven't watched it yet but generally speaking a show needs about 6 episodes to determine whether it's worth sticking with or not. Person of Interest being a very recent example. First few episodes are just bog standard procedural, probably not even as enjoyable as some other procedural but the show grows and grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Eamo71

Turtwig wrote: »
    Haven't watched it yet but generally speaking a show needs about 6 episodes to determine whether it's worth sticking with or not. Person of Interest being a very recent example. First few episodes are just bog standard procedural, probably not even as enjoyable as some other procedural but the show grows and grows.

You're right about shows needing time, however I usually only give them 2-3 eps. For instance I gave up on Fringe after 3 eps - no chemistry between the leads. gave up on Madmen (despite the unbridled hype) after 2 eps I can't remember any empathetic character in it at all.

There's too much good stuff out there to give shows time to grow and gain my interest. If I was 20 again and had time on my hands no problem. These days after the wife and children watch their stuff I'll sneak an episode or two here and there of a show I like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

You missed out on Mad Men. Excellent for the first 3 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Synode wrote: »
    You missed out on Mad Men. Excellent for the first 3 seasons

I gave it nearly the whole first season before I gave it up. I thought there had to be something to justify the hype. But it's just a load of smug eegits sitting around drinking whiskey all day and being arseholes. That's essentially the entirety of the show.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Blue Ruin up on the US Netflix, heard very good things.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Eamo71 wrote: »
    For instance I gave up on Fringe after 3 eps - no chemistry between the leads. .

Big mistake.

I can't go into reasons why you should stick with it for spoilers sake but regarding the leads, everyone is getting to know each other in the first few eps so it makes sense to me (even if I didn't notice it).

Fringe is awesome until season 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Mickeroo wrote: »

truly excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Mousewar wrote: »
    I gave it nearly the whole first season before I gave it up. I thought there had to be something to justify the hype. But it's just a load of smug eegits sitting around drinking whiskey all day and being arseholes. That's essentially the entirety of the show.

not even nearly! So much more happens than that. I admit it took me a few episodes to get into it. Once i realised there was no real plot and most things were subtle i started to enjoy it. Then it got even better.
    You're missing out on one of the best shows on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭LuckyFinigan

Mickeroo wrote: »

Watched it last night, thought it was pretty good, if you like revenge thrillers definitely check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

Just finished season 1 of Twin peaks. It's ok. I cannot see what the huge hype is all about. The cheesy music and acting can be a bit too soap opera/murder she wrote. But i guess that's just the early 90's for you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

EyeSight wrote: »
    Just finished season 1 of Twin peaks. It's ok. I cannot see what the huge hype is all about. The cheesy music and acting can be a bit too soap opera/murder she wrote. But i guess that's just the early 90's for you :p

How dare you! The music is brilliant!

• Advertisement

truly excellent

Really was!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement