Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What was with that foreign fighter and his: "I know you all hate the English."::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

walshb wrote: »
    What was with that foreign fighter and his: "I know you all hate the English."::eek:

If I had to guess he was probably talking to an Irish fan during the week who told him as much. Was said mostly in jest. His opponent, Pickett, did get booed a little on the walk in, even though he's a very popular fighter usually. Might have had something to do with it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

the evidence isnt there to suggest gunni could beat a big
    name like lawlor so I don't see how anyone could suggest this

he may be that good, time will tell, beating cummings tells us nothing
    I do feel right now he has little chance of beating rory but I
    doubt very much that fight will happen just yet, maybe in
    a year or so when he's improved a whole lot more

give him jake who he'll frustrate for three rounds and win
    a very one sided decision and who knows after that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I don't think the Conor fight was a dive, but I wouldn't slate people for questioning it. I did think that Diego offered little resistance. Maybe Conor did a real good number on him, but Diego looked weak.

Brandao was never known for having a lot of heart and didn't offer lots of resistance as that's how he is but anyone suggesting it was a dive deserve to be slated as they obviously haven't a clue about MMA.

I guess we have to take the good with the bad as far as bandwagoners are concerned. I got in a heated "debate" with some complete Conor fan boy who thought he would smash Cub Swanson and thought Swanson was a twat, couldn't let such stupidity go...he even goes "who has Cub Swanson beat?" and even said he hated him because of his arrogance...yep that's right, a Conor fanboy really just asked who Swanson has beat of note and hated him for being arrogant. Couldn't resist the urge to point out the stupidity. Apparently Brandao is a much better fighter than Jeremy Stephens too...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

And I stand by what I said about Gunnar. He had moobs and fat hanging out over his shorts. It's not what you'd expect from a top level MMA fighter.

shogun often came in looking like that, often wasn't a good sign though.
    think the same probably applies to a few others, bj I guess

with these two It sometimes came across in their fights that they
    probably didn't put in enough effort in camp

that how I see it anyway, open to correction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Talk of a fix/dive on here and seen it on facebook too, that's preposterous. Brandao gassed, it's known that he doesn't have good cardio. Conor wore him down and he couldn't hack it any more and he folded.

The only fix here must be Kotani's record in Japan :pac: because he was totally non existent last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Talk of a fix/dive on here and seen it on facebook too, that's preposterous. Brandao gassed, it's known that he doesn't have good cardio. Conor wore him down and he couldn't hack it any more and he folded.

Like I thought, a bit of a mismatch. It's not good if one man is gassing after less than 5 minutes. Not that he should be fresh as daisies, as they are putting in serious effort, but Diego to me was cannon fodder.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

Kotani trained on Wed with a guy who was about 5'6 and stocky as hell, made zero sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Anywhere to watch the pendred fight video online? Send me a pm if necessary. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kg703

What a great weekend, free pints from Dana and front row seats. Got showered in beer at the end haha! Hope everyone here enjoyed it as much!!

• Advertisement

Like I thought, a bit of a mismatch. It's not good if one man is gassing after less than 5 minutes. Not that he should be fresh as daisies, as they are putting in serious effort, but Diego to me was cannon fodder.

He wasn't cannon fodder. You have probably never even seen the guy fight apart from last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

People tend to gas in the first round if they have been hit in the body and the face and have grappled... Fairly self evident really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

All this talk of Gunni being not quite there and not in good shape is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

All this talk of Gunni being not quite there and not in good shape is laughable

I did think it was a below par performance though. He lacked urgency and IMO lost the first round. I have to agree that McDonald would destroy him.

I think that's why Dana has been reluctant to give him that step up. He has been winning, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he would trouble any of the top guys.

Not trolling BTW, I'm a fan of his.

Nelson has never looked gassed in his fights so this talk of being out of shape because he doesn't look ripped is complete stupidity. I suspect it is just Cyber Ghost trolling anyway considering the tripe that he has been posting.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Hey folks,

Got the go ahead to post this from El Guapo.

I work for a company called Huggity - we take huge panoramic 360 images at sports events which allow you to zoom in and find yourself, tag yourself and then share it on social media. We have done the GAA semi finals and finals last year, most of the rugby and soccer games for Ireland and then numerous sporting events abroad.

We were delighted to get to do the event last night, another first for the UFC and to be able to have it done here in Ireland was great.

If you were at the event check it out and see if you can spot yourself. If you tag yourself you will get sent a promo code which will allow you to get a free months access to UFC Fight Pass - If you werent at the event you can still use the Virtual Arena to show your support and still get a promo code.

You can also play the treasure hunt game and find the UFC belt which will enter you in a draw for a years subscription to UFC Fight Pass.

Make sure to tag yourself and share it so that the event becomes and even bigger success.

Cheers

http://www.ufc.com/fanpic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Axwell wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Got the go ahead to post this from El Guapo.

I work for a company called Huggity - we take huge panoramic 360 images at sports events which allow you to zoom in and find yourself, tag yourself and then share it on social media. We have done the GAA semi finals and finals last year, most of the rugby and soccer games for Ireland and then numerous sporting events abroad.

We were delighted to get to do the event last night, another first for the UFC and to be able to have it done here in Ireland was great.

If you were at the event check it out and see if you can spot yourself. If you tag yourself you will get sent a promo code which will allow you to get a free months access to UFC Fight Pass - If you werent at the event you can still use the Virtual Arena to show your support and still get a promo code.

You can also play the treasure hunt game and find the UFC belt which will enter you in a draw for a years subscription to UFC Fight Pass.

Make sure to tag yourself and share it so that the event becomes and even bigger success.

Cheers

http://www.ufc.com/fanpic

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Haha you would take it between fights when I went to get a drink

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

ShaneU wrote: »
    Haha you would take it between fights when I went to get a drink

Well its hard to get all 9500 of you to stand still for a few mins :p

Great photo of me and my mates. Thanks for that.

• Advertisement

I take it that's the only shot?

I'm pretty sure I'm obscured by the cage from that angle.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I take it that's the only shot?

I'm pretty sure I'm obscured by the cage from that angle.

Yeah unfortunately that was the position they gave us so some people were obscured by the cage. Its a 360 so we only shoot from one spot and obviously we can only shoot when there is decent lighting conditions, which was limited last night. You can still tag yourself and get a promo code and enter that draw for a years subscription though.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

That's cool, I found myself, don't mind the free month of Fight Pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Fields of athenry during the seery fight...unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Anyone have a video of either the Mexican wave or the Fields of Athenry?

So this place is gonna go buck mad on Monday when everyone gets online.

I'm trying hard not to be an MMA snob, I mean I was once a newcomer to the sport and was ignorant of the facts. But there's a big difference between ignorance and stupidity.
    noobie wrote:
    It seemed to me that Brandao went down very easily in that fight. Was he badly mismatched or injured or something?
    =good

noobie wrote:
    Ah lads yer Brazilian lad took a dive there!
    =dumb

Fingers crossed the sensible newcomers stick around and learn (the more the merrier), and the eejits bugger off fairly soon.

Of all the crowd antics, my favourite was the cheering of the kicks from Seery.

I could barely join in I was laughing so hard.

Ooooooooooooooooohhhh EYYYY!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Never heard a ufc crowd like that before!

The noise was measured at 111dB, the company beside us had the device for measuring it to see how it compared to other sporting events in America. They were comparing it with a stadium in the states that was 132dB..not bad for 9500 fans from a small country!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

For all his skills he didn't do well in the first round I felt. Very definitive victory though.

Advertisement