Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

walshb wrote: »
    Diego gave up a couple of lbs on the scale, no? Conor was ripped and toned. Diego looked like he could fight at a lighter weight. Conor had a nice height advantage.

Diego probably could make a lighter weight, but he had a serious cut to get to where he was at last night as it was. If you look at some of the promo interviews and vids taken a couple of weeks before the fight he was waaay out of shape.

I think the huge cut absolutely wrecked his endurance, and he tired notieably after 3mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I hope Conor gets Poirier next. Look like Dustin hopes so too judging by the tweets he sent out last night. It will be a step up in class for sure for Conor but I think he has the ability to beat Poirier. Certainly he will have the physical advantage, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

My mate who doesn't really follow mma claimed it was a fix too. The most frustrating argument I've ever had.

What a night!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

nothing for holohan or seery :confused:
    surely seery deserved a performance bonus though

gutted for those guys esp seery
    to give pendred king fotn ahead of that is criminal

then again we see it time after time
    If you're not on the main card its next to impossible
    to get anything esp fotn

• Registered Users Posts: 39,181 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

walshb wrote: »
    Diego gave up a couple of lbs on the scale, no? Conor was ripped and toned. Diego looked like he could fight at a lighter weight. Conor had a nice height advantage.

No he didn't.
    Conor was 146
    Diego 145.5

Fighters almost give nothing up on the scales, if they can make a lower weight they usually will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

mailburner wrote: »
    nothing for holohan or seery :confused:
    surely seery deserved a performance bonus though

gutted for those guys esp seery
    to give pendred king fotn ahead of that is criminal

to get anything esp fotn

Agree 200% i Taught Paddy deserved a POTN ahead of Gunni!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

When Paddy slipped out of the arm bar and took the back... I've never heard a roar like it. Christ I was lightheaded I was screaming so loudly. Set the tone for the night to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,181 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mailburner wrote: »
    to get anything esp fotn

FOTN didn't go to a main card fight :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

http://balls.ie/ufc-2/video-conor-mcgregor-makes-his-entrance-at-ufc-dublin/

This gives me a ridiculous amount of shivers. I just want to relive it again!

Mellor wrote: »
    FOTN didn't go to a main card fight :confused:

oops! :o

thanks for pointing that out
    not sure how I got that into my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Excuse my stupidity but what FOTN?

Fantastic night went on my own and had some great Craic with guys around me. Start if the main card the atmosphere dropped a bit but you had to expect that, Heat and pints combined I saw afew guys heads drop for a while to recharge their battery's😴.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I think Krylov vs Donovan should have been FoTN, both guys getting dropped and almost finished. There was never a hope it was going to get it though. Pendred seriously needs to go down to welterweight and get new game-plans for fights, stop getting involved in brawls!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man even on Facebook people talking about fixing and diving. I'm all on for growing the sport but these people need to go back to their fixed wwf and diving soccer.

Have to say chuck was a legend, after the fights he would run up to the barrier to take pics with fans, raging I didn't go down and try.

Paddy should have definitely got PoN. It was gas everyone setting up seerys kicks with oooooooooohhhhhh haha. You could see his face, he wasnt happy after throwing a missed punch but it was still a dominant performance, never knew about his personal issues, dunno how he came out and performed like that after it, fair play him, beaming he got the win.

Gunni just couldnt get going, he is way better than that and mad to see how he handles top 10 guys.

Also, unreal respect between conor and diego at the post presser, sounds like they'd be heading for pints after it. I know Diego has been dodgy in the past but hope he gets another shot in the ufc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Maybe I'm a bit slow, but I just realised this:

9401E6E8-DE19-46BA-9F5D-E25A4815E1E2_zpsvjorb5er.jpg

This was taken just as Paddy's fight ended. Oh if only it came with audio! :cool:

10527800_10152224409573059_9061475467802799925_n.jpg

Excuse my stupidity but what FOTN?

fight of the night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

shane9689 wrote: »
    i was hoping for a good mma conversation to be here with some actual fighters commenting, but instead im reading aload of drivel written by people who dont even fight....grand comment away but dont be saying **** like "he was bang out of shape" about gunner if you dont fight.. his slight body fat has little to do with his fighting performance...and staged fight? the only thing staged about it, was the fact they but conor up against a muh lesser fighter..... im not even going to bother...this thread is filled with too many horribly misinformed people

Sorry wat?
    Please tell me you're trolling?

You expect a professional fighter's discussion on boards.ie? really?

And I stand by what I said about Gunnar. He had moobs and fat hanging out over his shorts. It's not what you'd expect from a top level MMA fighter. It harks back to the days of Tank abbot and Tim Sylvia.
    Also, he was woeful until he got your man's back.

Robbie Lawler looks absolutely gigantic compared to "Gunni" and would stop him within a round. I think Gunni needs to drop to lightweight he looks tiny for a WW

Also lol at the Facebook comments on my newsfeed this morning

"Conor is great on the ground as well as being a great puncher"
    "What about the spinning back kick"
    "Mc Gregor Mc Gregor
    We all stand a little taller tonight,
    Unreal."

People who've never even heard of MMA are now its biggest fans.

Roll on the McGregor bandwagon!

Anything that gets the UFC back to Dublin. More fans = more Irish people taking up MMA = more Irish fighters.

Less bitterness, more WAR!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,860 ✭✭✭nerd69

People "getting on the bandwagon" is good for mma in this country I find the people on Facebook getting possessive of mma far sillier

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Sorry wat?

And I stand by what I said about Gunnar. He had moobs and fat hanging out over his shorts. It's not what you'd expect from a top level MMA fighter. It harks back to the days of Tank abbot and Tim Sylvia.

Robbie Lawler looks absolutely gigantic compared to "Gunni" and would stop him within a round. I think Gunni needs to drop to lightweight he looks tiny for a WW

Overall pretty stupid comments man,if you think Gunnar is not in shape based on him not looking completely chiselled your crazy,whether he is too small for welterweight or not is a different question,you could be right but i would definitely choose him over lawlor who struggles against top wrestlers always has,that seems a good match up for Gunnar i would pick him over Lawlor personally.

amkin25 wrote: »
    Overall pretty stupid comments man,if you think Gunnar is not in shape based on him not looking completely chiselled your crazy,whether he is too small for welterweight or not is a different question,you could be right but i would definitely choose him over lawlor who struggles against top wrestlers always has,that seems a good match up for Gunnar i would pick him over Lawlor personally.

You call my comments stupid, yet you think Gunnar beats Lawler roflmao.
    Struggles against top wrestlers? He beat Hendricks (imo) and absolutely embarassed "top wrestlers" Koscheck, Ellenburger and easily beat "the golden boy" Rory McDonald.

Gunni would be humilated badly in that fight.

All you McGregor/Gunni fanboys fail to realise that neither fighter has even fought a top 20 opponent yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Sorry wat?

You're embarrassing yourself now..

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    You're embarrassing yourself now..

The old "you're embarrassing yourself" argument.

always used by posters with large intellects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

You call my comments stupid, yet you think Gunnar beats Lawler roflmao.
    Struggles against top wrestlers? He beat Hendricks (imo) and absolutely embarassed "top wrestlers" Koscheck, Ellenburger and easily beat "the golden boy" Rory McDonald.

Gunni would be humilated badly in that fight.

All you McGregor/Gunni fanboys fail to realise that neither fighter has even fought a top 20 opponent yet.

Seriously you're a bit off the mark Hendricks fight was all on the feet there was no attempts to take him down,Koscheck has been on the way down this few years,and obviously you were watching a different fight to me if that was beating Rory McDonald easily.

Lawlor has always struggled with wrestlers he has had a bit of a resurgence in his career of late with a couple of big wins in the UFC,but he still will struggle against a top wrestler who is only aiming to take him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Have to say besides the fighters, Dan Hardy was in top form last night. If a return to the octagon doesn't work out for him he still has a big future with the UFC. Out and out pro. Well done Sir.

John_D80 wrote: »
    Have to say besides the fighters, Dan Hardy was in top form last night. If a return to the octagon doesn't work out for him he still has a big future with the UFC. Out and out pro. Well done Sir.

Thought he was insufferable.

Emmerdale Farm drawl on him, nobody wants to hear that crap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

cyber ghost, that was gunners style.....i personally think he has the whole lazy routine as a way to fustrate the opponent....he annoyed the **** out of Cummings who started swinging abit wildly at one stage...he did get hit, abit too often but his tactic worked in the end for him

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I don't think the Conor fight was a dive, but I wouldn't slate people for questioning it. I did think that Diego offered little resistance. Maybe Conor did a real good number on him, but Diego looked weak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Thought he was insufferable.

Emmerdale Farm drawl on him, nobody wants to hear that crap

Chill out man. Did you enjoy anything about the event? Have always thought Hardy was pretty good. Now if you had directed your ire towards Gareth A. Davies I'm fairly sure only his auld one would take issue

Advertisement