Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I don't really understand how weight cutting works, but how much would McGregor lose in sweat alone? I've always seen the lads on TUF sitting in the dry saunan before weigh ins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I don't really understand how weight cutting works, but how much would McGregor lose in sweat alone? I've always seen the lads on TUF sitting in the dry saunan before weigh ins.

Its a lot more scientific then that now. They diet from about 12 weeks out, reducing certain food types etc I heard conor talking about no red meat for 10 days at a time, tiny meals, low carbs, loads of water.

If he was 160lbs a week out that 15 to lose before weigh ins.

Does anyone know waht Mc Gregor walks around at

• Registered Users Posts: 54,919 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mellor wrote: »
    McGregor's height makes him look relatively bigger. The same way people think Jon Jones is a massive LHW - when in reality he's pretty normal (and smaller than the bigger 205ers).

When Diego missed weight, he was 8lbs over, that suggests he makes a big cut.

Without sticking then on the scales I can't say with 100% certainty what they were in the cage, but they both dehydrated severely to make 146. Both had that empty look at the weigh-ins. The second Diego was off the scale he was pouring hydralyte down his neck.

Is Diego a bit of a Ricky Hatton/Duran kinda guy? I think Conor looks a weight above the guy. Conor when walking around probably is 160-165 lbs and still looking trim enough. He has the height to carry the extra few lbs. Cuts weight for the fight and then is close to 160 on fight night I would think. Diego looks like a 140 lb man who needs to tone and cut weight better.

srumball wrote: »
    Its a lot more scientific then that now. They diet from about 12 weeks out, reducing certain food types etc I heard conor talking about no red meat for 10 days at a time, tiny meals, low carbs, loads of water.

But is it hard to lose those 14 pounds? What kind of toll does it take on your body dropping down and then, pressumably, bulking back up before the fight?

I know this is slightly off-topic.

In his documentary he looked to be about 160-165 lbs. That was during normal training and not cutting weight?

• Advertisement

But is it hard to lose those 14 pounds? What kind of toll does it take on your body dropping down and then, pressumably, bulking back up before the fight?

I know this is slightly off-topic.

Very difficult question to answer. Depends on the person. 14 lbs + of weight that should not be on the person in the first place, ala Ricky Hatton, then that is easier to lose. Conor looks like he carries natural walking around weight. That is harder to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fighters dieting from 12 weeks out are doing it for fat loss, which is very different to cutting during fight week.
    Most of it is lost over the course of the week before needing to sweat. The sauna or steamroom sweats out the last bit.
    As for how much, I'd say close to 20lbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Anyone in the mood to get pissed off? Liveline will be talking about MMA/UFC this afternoon.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

That_Guy wrote: »
    Anyone in the mood to get pissed off? Liveline will be talking about MMA/UFC this afternoon.

:pac:

That donkey Ray Darcy had Cathal Pendred on his show this morning.shamefull interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

Fighters dieting from 12 weeks out are doing it for fat loss, which is very different to cutting during fight week.

What about Mike Dolce putting a load of fighters on his diets to help them to cut weight?

• Advertisement

In one of the build-up vids you can hear Conor tell someone (John Kavanagh I think) that his weight was 72.5kg, which is pretty much bang on 160lbs. This was the week of the fight so I doubt he lost too much more genuine weight, making his cut 14lbs.
    Do you have link?
    If the was during fight week, he probably already started his cut. Making it more than 14lbs.
    walshb wrote: »
    Very difficult question to answer. Depends on the person. 14 lbs + of weight that should not be on the person in the first place, ala Ricky Hatton, then that is easier to lose. Conor looks like he carries natural walking around weight. That is harder to lose.
    Ricky Hatton weight is lost in the months leading up. We're talking about fight week cut here. In which cases it's easier if you are bigger or leaner. More lean mass = more water.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Just watched Pendred vs King there. Ref must have been very close to stopping it in the first round ( I think he should have) but big credit to Pendred going onto win the fight.

What about Mike Dolce putting a load of fighters on his diets to help them to cut weight?
    That's who I was thinking if with the last post. As I said, that's mostly about eating right to get the fat off. To get in fighting shape. Water cutting is about making the limit on the scales and putting it back on for the cage.
    I imagine Dolce also covers that phase with fighters too. Been a while since I read his book.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tssk

The eruption of noise when King went to sleep was spectacular

Pendred tweet referencing his interview with Ray D'arcy this morning.
    Looking forward to doing an interview where I celebrate the biggest win of my career 2 days ago, not defend myself and my sport.

TV3 saying that 600K tuned in on Saturday night. Remarkable number.

Pendred better not get interviewed by Tony Donoghue from RTE Sport then, thought it was totally unnecessary for him to tweet Conor after the biggest win of his career, ending with #notasport

That_Guy wrote: »
    TV3 saying that 600K tuned in on Saturday night. Remarkable number.

I was visiting relatives and they all sat down to watch the fight. Most didn't even know the rules!

The chap is my local Fish shop watched it. My buddy's GAA mad Da sat down to watch it. McGregor (in Ireland anyway) has gone the way of Adnerson Silva/Chuck/Randy Couture - He's transended MMA into something else. Only a matter of time before he goes global IMO.

Tssk wrote: »
    Pendred better not get interviewed by Tony Donoghue from RTE Sport then, thought it was totally unnecessary for him to tweet Conor after the biggest win of his career, ending with #notasport

Jesus. O'Donoghue is a shambles of an interviewer. Don't like him at all. Entitled to opinion for sure but that's a dick move.

Just listening to the D'arcy interview now, Pendred was 2 months behind on rent and owed Airtricity 2 grand coming into the fight! Do the fighters not get some sort of funding from the UFC in the lead up to fight night or is it completely just fight then get your cheque?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Do you have link?
    If the was during fight week, he probably already started his cut. Making it more than 14lbs.

John Kavanagh said in Gunni's "Fly On The Wall" doc that Conor had to cut over 7kg with less than a week to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Do you have link?

Do they start dehydrating that far out? I would have thought that would just be from about 48hrs before the weigh-in, with everything before that being genuine weight loss. I'm no expert though, so feel free to point out where I'm wrong.

It's the first thing he says, from about 15s in. To Pendred as it turns out. It's fight week, he says he was 72.8kg that morning, so 160.5lbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I missed the undercard so i found Pendred's 2nd round on YT:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Generally the lads diet down in the weeks leading to the fight and cut back on certain foods, stick to a mostly chicken breast diet in the last week with some veg and healthy fats. They drink loads and loads of water and then restrict it in the final 48-24 hours.

The body is used to having lots of water so it continues to flush it out after the restriction. Generally you would look to "cut" about 5Kg from dehydration/sweat but its different with everyone, body comp, size etc.

Conor has made this weight multiple times so has his personal method down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Tssk wrote: »
    Just listening to the D'arcy interview now, Pendred was 2 months behind on rent and owed Airtricity 2 grand coming into the fight! Do the fighters not get some sort of funding from the UFC in the lead up to fight night or is it completely just fight then get your cheque?

When they fight they get paid. The idea would be that you'd make it last but the reality would be you'd have sponsors to cover the shortfall. Was a bit of a shame for Cathal, financially in particular, that he wasn't on the main card as I'm sure he'll have lost out on sponsorships because of it. Nonetheless he'll be getting good offers now so should be fine on the rent going forward. The bonus won't have hurt either ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

peejay1986 wrote: »
    When they fight they get paid. The idea would be that you'd make it last but the reality would be you'd have sponsors to cover the shortfall. Was a bit of a shame for Cathal, financially in particular, that he wasn't on the main card as I'm sure he'll have lost out on sponsorships because of it. Nonetheless he'll be getting good offers now so should be fine on the rent going forward. The bonus won't have hurt either ;)

Though having Pendred on the prelims made the whole event go off so well i think,the place was practically full from the first fight with people in to see Holohan,Pendred and Seery the atmosphere was building from early on think that was a smart move in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Dana should give Cathal Pendred another bonus after that interview with Darcy. Really sneering interview by him and Pendred did very well under the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Dana should give Cathal Pendred another bonus after that interview with D'arcy. Really sneering interview by him and Pendred did very well under the circumstances.

Would loved to have heard that,is there anywhere online you could pick up a recording of it?
    Just got it having a listen now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

For anyone else, here's a link.

http://www.todayfm.com/UFC-fighter-Cathal-Pendred

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its nearly as bad as joe duffy all them years ago, all it was missing was darcy claiming people have been killed left right and centre.

Advertisement