Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭tomhalloween

cant find myself AAAAH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,917 ✭✭✭✭walshb

DrPhilG wrote: »
    So this place is gonna go buck mad on Monday when everyone gets online.

I'm trying hard not to be an MMA snob, I mean I was once a newcomer to the sport and was ignorant of the facts. But there's a big difference between ignorance and stupidity.

=good

=dumb

Fingers crossed the sensible newcomers stick around and learn (the more the merrier), and the eejits bugger off fairly soon.

If you're calling it dumb then you are implying that cheating is not possible in MMA. That is naive.

I don't think it was a dive, but in sport, particularly hyped combat sport, nothing should be surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭seklly

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Anyone have a video of either the Mexican wave or the Fields of Athenry?

Took one of the fields of athenry:

The atmosphere last night was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

walshb wrote: »
    If you're calling it dumb then you are implying that cheating is not possible in MMA. That is naive.

No I'm not.

No I'm not.

So why is it dumb for some to question the fight, or to think that Diego dived?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Coz it's dumb. Simple!

Because to the educated observer there is nothing to suggest a dive. Brandao took some heavy shots, he may well have had an adrenaline dump due to the extreme atmosphere, he has a history of poor cardio and McGregor was swarming all over him.

Those things easily explain his poor showing without claims of fixing. IMO the vast majority of those claiming a fix are newcomers who fail to see or understand the things I listed above and just jump to a silly conclusion.

Because to the educated observer there is nothing to suggest a dive. Brandao took some heavy shots, he may well have had an adrenaline dump due to the extreme atmosphere, he has a history of poor cardio and McGregor was swarming all over him.

Those things easily explain his poor showing without claims of fixing. IMO the vast majority of those claiming a fix are newcomers who fail to see or understand the things I listed above and just jump to a silly conclusion.

I can agree to some degree here, but I wouldn't say that a dive is out of the question. It wasn't like a one punch monster KO shot. Conor was turning the screw and the guy faded and got stopped. Sure, could have been all down to the punishment. But, many instances of dives could occur under those kind of circumstances. I wouldn't label anyone dumb for saying it, and I wouldn't think that no MMA fans have thought it. Not the biggest MMA fan, but I have watched many cards. Let's put it down to a poor performance, or a mismatch. Failing these two, a dive is the other option.

I'm not saying it was or is it of the question. But I still maintain that there is nothing to suggest it. It's not like there was a phantom punch and Brandao crumpled with his arms out stiff.

And as in my previous post, I wouldn't call someone dumb for asking the question. It's those who are claiming it as fact who I'm calling dumb.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I did think it was a below par performance though. He lacked urgency and IMO lost the first round. I have to agree that McDonald would destroy him.

I think that's why Dana has been reluctant to give him that step up. He has been winning, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he would trouble any of the top guys.

Not trolling BTW, I'm a fan of his.
    Same here, I am a big fan and had high hopes for him but I was very disappointed by that first round last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

was the the o2 in 09 and close to the cage but found I could
    see more watching the big screen despite paying 250ish for a ticket
    Decided not to go this time but the minute fightpass started I
    immediately regretted not going
    the atmosphere there sounded incredible
    delighted for pendred for somehow pulling a win out of nowhere
    I'm sure a lot of these lads barely have a pot to piss in so great
    to see him getting a bonus

last nite was unique and hard to believe there'll be another
    night like it again unless conor is fighting for or defending a title here
    (defending the only way it happens over here obv)

you often have two wait months for a really good card and we've
    had two great cards in a week

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Saints#33

I watched Diego train on Wed and I said to everyone who'd listen, he looked great for a minute and completely gassed after it.i knew if he couldn't finish him fast, Conor would kill him.

To say he dived is a joke, lets not forget he stepped in to take the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

shoutman wrote: »
    Anywhere to watch the pendred fight video online? Send me a pm if necessary. Thanks

Me too if anyone has a link!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Axwell wrote: »

Make sure to tag yourself and share it so that the event becomes and even bigger success.

Cheers

http://www.ufc.com/fanpic

Excellent man!! Found myself, looking forward to a month of Fightpass. Such a great pic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry if this was discussed today but didn;t have time to follow things after the fight last night but was Connor called on the kick off the touch at the start of the fight?

haven't seen a dick move like that in an age.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Conor didn't kick off the touch, because there was no touch.

If you watch the video just before they are told to fight, Conor clearly signals to ask if he wants to touch gloves and Diego very clearly indicated no. I even said it to my companion last night "woah, no touching gloves...!".

The initial second of the fight was just two fighters reaching out to get range which Conor obviously felt was right for him (and it was).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

DeVore wrote: »
    Conor didn't kick off the touch, because there was no touch.

If you watch the video just before they are told to fight, Conor clearly signals to ask if he wants to touch gloves and Diego very clearly indicated no. I even said it to my companion last night "woah, no touching gloves...!".

The initial second of the fight was just two fighters reaching out to get range which Conor obviously felt was right for him (and it was).

Haven;t watched it back but my initial reaction was that it looked like a touch , I do recall Diego shaking his head though like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Conors stance coming out of the initial found has him always leading with his open hand which makes it look like a touch gloves gesture. DB just hadn't a clue how to approach it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

deisedude wrote: »
    Me too if anyone has a link!

Its on fight pass - you can get a 7 day trial off the site

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

definitely wasnt a dive...it just looks like a dive because he was hit only by afew punches when he started to wobble...BUT, if you check out afew seconds before that, he took a serious kick to the side which would have been the main cause for his wobble afew seconds later imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,126 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't think it was a dive, but in sport, particularly hyped combat sport, nothing should be surprising.
    Nobody's saying it was impossible for cheating to occur in MMA. The point is a semi educated fan can see that IF DB wanted to take a dive, he had far better spots to find an easy way out. He could have lcrumpled on the ground when Conor passed his guard for example.
    Not the biggest MMA fan, but I have watched many cards. Let's put it down to a poor performance, or a mismatch. Failing these two, a dive is the other option.
    Calling it a mismatch is kinda naive imo.

They were at the same apparent level. Conor has stepped up his opponent for 5 fights in a row now. Matches aren't set by hype or rumours, they are set by performance. Conor stepped up again and is legitimately looking at a top 10 spot now.

As for the ending, why are people obsessed with post-justification? He dived, he was gassed etc. Why does there have to be an excuse?

He didn't gas imo, he got hit in the mid section and was hurt. He moved away to recover and folded when Conor moved in. I thought the replays were poor and didn't show the strikes that did the most damage.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

He also seemed to be dragging his leg (or maybe it was protecting his side?) just before the straight left that dropped him... any idea what that was about?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its like people look for a reason to doubt conor, IMO he silenced alot of critics last night, without a doubt he is a stone cold killer!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

To all the Conor haters :pac:

j5OQWXM.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭Edsonbarboza

Anyone Who thinks that was a fix or whatever,did you not see him swinging to take conors head off? must be a good actor do yourself a favour and educate yourself asap or just dont bother watching the sport again,

Anyone else notice Diego doing jumping jacks after making his enterance into the octagon pure stupidity burning up energy I thought,

Theres plenty of haters and doubters still of Conors and its 100% pure jealousy I see lads on facebook who delivers currys for a living slating him while hes out in las vegas fighting they'll be sitting in their ma's houses still delivering currys hating on people doing well in life

His fight with Ivan Buchinger was a thing of beauty if anyone doubts his ability the most its on youtube,a thing of beauty to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Saints#33 wrote: »
    I watched Diego train on Wed and I said to everyone who'd listen, he looked great for a minute and completely gassed after it.i knew if he couldn't finish him fast, Conor would kill him.

To say he dived is a joke, lets not forget he stepped in to take the fight.

Said this myself in other threads, he looked dirt on wednesday and was gassed after a 6 minute workout imo.
    Anyone else notice Diego doing jumping jacks after making his enterance into the octagon pure stupidity burning up energy I thought,

Said that to my mate, for someone who has a history of gassing early for conors whole 5 minute entrance he was doing jumping jacks, pretty stupid thing to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I can agree to some degree here, but I wouldn't say that a dive is out of the question. It wasn't like a one punch monster KO shot. Conor was turning the screw and the guy faded and got stopped. Sure, could have been all down to the punishment. But, many instances of dives could occur under those kind of circumstances. I wouldn't label anyone dumb for saying it, and I wouldn't think that no MMA fans have thought it. Not the biggest MMA fan, but I have watched many cards. Let's put it down to a poor performance, or a mismatch. Failing these two, a dive is the other option.

First apparently Brandao looked a weight class below Conor (despite Brandao struggling to make 145 a couple of times) then it was a mis-match (anyone with a clue wouldn't call it a mis-match) now saying it was a dive is a legitimate conclusion. Stick to the boxing.

Davei141 wrote: »
    First apparently Brandao looked a weight class below Conor (despite Brandao struggling to make 145 a couple of times) then it was a mis-match (anyone with a clue wouldn't call it a mis-match) now saying it was a dive is a legitimate conclusion. Stick to the boxing.

Did I say it was a dive? I said that I wouldn't slate folks who thought that it could be a dive. Personally I think Conor was clearly better than the guy. The guy was not at his level. Offered little resistance.

I think it was more a mismatch issue. Looked that way. I just was not at all impressed with Diego. Jesus, what's so wrong with this view? Happens quite a bit in any sport. I didn't think that this thread had to be all hype and praise. We not allowed debate and discuss and ask questions?

Just because someone struggles to make weight does not mean that they are natural at a weight. Diego for me looked a weight class below Conor. Conor is an example of a dedicated athlete who comes in fully prepared and at his optimum weight. Is it not possible that Diego is not as dedicated and focused, and maybe is in a weight class too heavy? If I am wrong, just say so. No big deal.

Stick to the boxing thread? Bit lame that!

Mellor wrote: »
    Nobody's saying it was impossible for cheating to occur in MMA. The point is a semi educated fan can see that IF DB wanted to take a dive, he had far better spots to find an easy way out. He could have lcrumpled on the ground when Conor passed his guard for example.

Calling it a mismatch is kinda naive imo.

They were at the same apparent level. Conor has stepped up his opponent for 5 fights in a row now. Matches aren't set by hype or rumours, they are set by performance. Conor stepped up again and is legitimately looking at a top 10 spot now.

As for the ending, why are people obsessed with post-justification? He dived, he was gassed etc. Why does there have to be an excuse?

He didn't gas imo, he got hit in the mid section and was hurt. He moved away to recover and folded when Conor moved in. I thought the replays were poor and didn't show the strikes that did the most damage.

No real disagreement with what you have posted here. I did wonder if that initial kick right from the start affected Diego. It caught him cleanly to the body. He didn't expect it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

I think it was more a mismatch issue. Looked that way. I just was not at all impressed with Diego. Jesus, what's so wrong with this view? Happens quite a bit in any sport. I didn't think that this thread had to be all hype and praise. We not allowed debate and discuss and ask questions?

Walshb,

How often in boxing do people look like a great match on paper and then one gets destroyed in round 1?

Advertisement