Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC DUBLIN 19th JULY **Start time info in post #1**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

I'm finishing this, I don't want to be considered a troll for this question I'm asking so l'm ending it here.

It was great card overall for me I enjoyed it a lot. Come on the Irish/UFC :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

Irish sports people
    Padraig harrington
    Robbie keane
    Bernard dunne
    Steve collins

Theses in there day were as irish as a bag of tayto crisps,

Of course, and Conor talks more than all of them about his pride of being from Ireland. How much he loves Dublin, how you don't have to leave Ireland to be the best in the world. He's always talking about it. Even in the press conference just now he was on about the Irish taking over the UFC, how he wants to bring the UFC to Croker or the Aviva. There isn't a man alive who promotes Ireland more than he does. Some people have a problem with him talking a little more clearly in interviews, but people need something to moan about. He absolutely hasn't forgotten where he came from which was what you asserted. If anything he could do with toning down on the auld nationalism

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Sherdog is the 4chan of mma. They can do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Tigger wrote: »
    Sherdog thinks it was all a fix
    Bit sad no?

I was probably Conors biggest doubter on here, combination of Diegos probable adrenaline dump and the kick to stomach finished Diego IMO.I think tonight was Conors biggest test to date and he passed with flying colours.

Conor deserves to break into the top 10 after tonight with out a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anywhere I can see the Pendred fight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Wow, what a card. Conor was something else, I knew about his standup skills but his takedown defence was really strong which impressed me. Brandao went down a little easy but he had taken a lot of shots and his chins never been great. It looks like Poirier is up next.

Pendred's heart was amazing, I was speechless in that first round. My stream went down with about 2 mins to go in the 2nd round and I assumed it would have been stopped by the time we got it going again, couldn't believe it when I saw him still taking shots to the head 30 secs later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

mdwexford wrote: »
    Anywhere I can see the Pendred fight?

Same, can't find it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,181 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Some of the comments fling about. A dive. Pretending to pass out. My lord.

There was a few doubters here before, I think that performance spine volumes.
    I post a but more later. Too early for me ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mellor wrote: »
    There was a few doubters here before, I think that performance spine volumes.
    I post a but more later. Too early for me ;(

I hang my head in shame.Conor won tonight without any doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Here is there any more space on that bandwagon? I want to jump back on.

He even has Cubby confused, one minute he hates him and then he thinks he actually like him:cool:

UFC star without a doubt. Wish him and his family all the success he has ever wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Don't really like McGregor but hopefully his win tonight brings a lot of new interest into Irish MMA. I've been a casual fan since about 2007 but the build up to Conor's fight has been crazy anyways and now you have Cathal returning from the dead to win. This needs to be capitalised on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Don't really like McGregor but hopefully his win tonight brings a lot of new interest into Irish MMA. I've been a casual fan since about 2007 but the build up to Conor's fight has been crazy anyways and now you have Cathal returning from the dead to win. This needs to be capitalised on.

Well, tonight has converted me, to a degree.

I signed up for the free trial of Fight Pass and watched all the prelims while hanging in a MMA chat room (and drinking beer.) And then a friend came over to watch the last three fights (and we drank beer.) She was a little disappointed at the lack of clean striking in the Gunnar and McCall fights. But she said it's definitely the kind of event she'd be willing to go to watch live.

I've decided to not cancel my Fight Pass sub and will give it a go for at least a month. If I'm honest the stuff tonight was far more entertaining than anything I watched in the world cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gunnar didn't deserve the performance bonus he looked shíte.
    He was bang out of shape too and was getting beat on his feet.

He looked like me with my top off, not an MMA fighter.

It's fighting not bodybuilding. You don't need a 6 pack to be a good fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,671 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just back from Dublin. That was the most amazing thing I've ever been to. Reading back over the last 30 pages, there are some amount of shyte comments. The reaction of the crowd when Cathal and Gunni pulled off their wins were epic. I think the crowd were at their peak during the prelims, kind of died down for the main card, No one could believe the Irish + Gunni clean sweep actually happened, was just the perfect night. We couldn't even hear what Andy was announcing, the crowd noise just drowned everything out. Some brilliant walk out tunes as well.

How Cathal came back from that I do not know! I like Mike, he will surely get another shot in the UFC, I still think he's a better fighter than Cathal.
    I thought Paddy was getting finished with the armbar but the escape and his own RNC was a thing of beauty. I think he should have getting PoN instead of Conor. Gunni scared the shyte out of me, I didn't think Zak would perform that well, I was begging for Gunni to take it to the ground. The boys from Iceland sitting behind me erupted as well as everyone else in the arena. McCall Picket was a bit messy, I originally thought that was gonna be FoN. I thought the reception for Conor wasn't that loud, mainly because no one knew where he was. People were looking in all directions waiting to cheer him on when he was already half way out. That kick at the start was fine, there was gonna be no touching gloves and was a great way to start the fight.

In press conference, Conor said he'd take Dustin in September, he could probably aim higher, no way he will be champ by end of the year fighting DP in Sept.

Now, I need to watch the whole thing back tomorrow to see what I missed. I hope someone got a vid of the epic Mexican Wave that went 3 laps around the arena :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,259 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Long drive back to Donegal, but that was epic.

14th UFC events and half a dozen local Irish ones and I've never in my life experienced an atmosphere like it.

Ps... Da fek happened in here while I was away? Taking dives, getting choked too fast etc etc. Wise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

i was hoping for a good mma conversation to be here with some actual fighters commenting, but instead im reading aload of drivel written by people who dont even fight....grand comment away but dont be saying **** like "he was bang out of shape" about gunner if you dont fight.. his slight body fat has little to do with his fighting performance...and staged fight? the only thing staged about it, was the fact they but conor up against a muh lesser fighter..... im not even going to bother...this thread is filled with too many horribly misinformed people

shane9689 wrote: »
    i was hoping for a good mma conversation to be here with some actual fighters commenting, but instead im reading aload of drivel written by people who dont even fight....grand comment away but dont be saying **** like "he was bang out of shape" about gunner if you dont fight.. his slight body fat has little to do with his fighting performance...and staged fight? the only thing staged about it, was the fact they but conor up against a muh lesser fighter..... im not even going to bother...this thread is filled with too many horribly misinformed people
    It's easy to ignore the drivel.
    If you want an intelligent conversation on MMA start one, there's plenty who'll join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My seat last night, doesn't get much better

K2BqHT9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Unbelievable card. The highlight of the night was definitely Pendred coming back from the brink to win, how the feck did he do that? Atmosphere was unreal and it was great to see the place almost full for the first fight, always winds me up watching an empty arena during the pre lims.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭nmg_ire

Davei141 wrote: »
    Unbelievable card. The highlight of the night was definitely Pendred coming back from the brink to win, how the feck did he do that? Atmosphere was unreal and it was great to see the place almost full for the first fight, always winds me up watching an empty arena during the pre lims.

Totally agree brilliant night, thought the card was good before the fight but turned out to be excellent. Some great fights, Pendreds comeback was something else. Crowd were unreal and as you say about 90% full for first fights. Brilliant night well done to everyone involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

That_Guy wrote: »
    €3.33 left in my Paddy Power account.

Gone with the following.

Holohan by sub @6/1
    Seery by decision @7/4
    Nelson by sub @EVS
    McGregor by KO @8/11

Returns €221

An unbelievable night was topped off with this accumulator coming through.

Incredible night. There are no superlatives that can perfectly describe how I felt about the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Pendred was very lucky that fight didn't get stopped in the first round.
    I think anywhere else other than the o2 the ref steps in and stops it.
    He showed incredible heart to come back but I think king exposed the holes in his stand up and he is not even a good stand up fighter.
    Pendred will have to improve that aspect of his game big time.

I thought Gunni was losing that fight until he got that RNC.
    Finished it superbly but thought he showed poor stand up and definately did npt deserve a performance bonus.
    Dana says he's open to Nelson Mcdonald, I think mcdonald would eat him alive by keeping it on the feet and picking him apart with jabs and kicks.

Mcgregor was awesome! Didn't expect him to dominate brandao in such impressive fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Bit of a physical mismatch with Conor and his foe. The opponent looked a weight below. Was giving away lbs and height. Was it the body kick within the first two seconds that drained the opponent? He offered little resistance, and seemed gassed by 3-4 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

walshb wrote: »
    Bit of a physical mismatch with Conor and his foe. The opponent looked a weight below. Was giving away lbs and height. Was it the body kick within the first two seconds that drained the opponent? He offered little resistance, and seemed gassed by 3-4 minutes.

Whatever about height I would think there is no way Brandao is giving up pounds to Connor, I would reckon Brandao cuts from 5/6 lbs more then mcgregor

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Bit of a physical mismatch with Conor and his foe. The opponent looked a weight below.

Conor cuts quite a bit of weight and will be bigger than most if not all of the featherweights.

He just has the perfect body shape to cut the weight and still remain strong at that weight class

Bit of a physical mismatch with Conor and his foe. The opponent looked a weight below. Was giving away lbs and height.
    I'd doubt that
    stuchyg wrote: »
    Whatever about height I would think there is no way Brandao is giving up pounds to Connor, I would reckon Brandao cuts from 5/6 lbs more then mcgregor
    I'd doubt that too.

They are two of the bigger FWs. There isn't much between them.
    I think people in general have trouble reconciling differing weight and height.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

What an event/week, the atmosphere was electric from the off, paddy setting the tone with a lovely sub that should have earned him a POTN. I think me and my mate were the only two people up for Mike King against Pendo, anywhere else in the world and the fight would have been stopped in the first, beautiful comeback and sub from Prendo though, credit were credits due! But i have a feeling he will be taken to town by a half decent striker!

After metting Latifi during the week i was dying for him to get the stoppage and he did so i was delighted! Such a massive guy for 205, he wont be winning any tittles but he seems entertaining and is sound as fcuk. Absolutely delighted for Seery and i hope yo god Phil ges cut, terrible fighter. Nelson didnt seem to get into his grove until a bit into the second but when he did he made it look easy, fairly sure he broke Zaks nose before locking in the RNC. Parke v Kotani always seemed like a mismatch to me, dont rate any fighters streaks coming from Japan like when he had his last stint in the UFC and got smashed to. Kotani also **** himself when Parke got in his face at the weigh ins :pac: , Notsure if he will regret calling out Sanchez but id like to see it happen!!

Last but not least McGregor, I was biting my nails clean off for this one. Brandao has bricks for hands so i was worried but as i said in a different thread his cardio is just as bad as usual, he was gassed doing his open workout on wednesday and again after marching forward for a minute and a half then being made work up against the cage/on the ground by Conor he gassed. A solid body kick didnt help either but he seemed to give up and getting dropped. None the less Conor looked in great shape, such a smooth mover and solid striker. Showed some solid ground game when Brandao was trying to lock in subs off his back. The whole venue on its feet throwing pints into the air after the belll went was amazing, my voice is gone, im hungover to **** but at the end of the day it was AMAZING. Hopefully this becomes an annual thing now and were not waiting 5 years a visit!

View from my 75e seats were alot better than i expected!!

10429503_893787317304834_1065889477847530812_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 55,156 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Diego gave up a couple of lbs on the scale, no? Conor was ripped and toned. Diego looked like he could fight at a lighter weight. Conor had a nice height advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

My first live MMA event and it definitely lived up to the hype! Fantastic atmosphere, beers went flying everywhere after Conor got the finish. Watched the TV replay just there, it definitely did not do the crowd justice, it was loud as f*ck in there.

Pendred is just so slow and cumbersome, I don't rate him at all :/. He showed good heart to get back in there, but would have been easily finished by a better opponent and for that reason will never make it into the top 15 of the division. He just seems like a rugby player who chose to play the wrong sport, no natural talent for fighting like Conor or Neil.

Regarding Seery, absolutely loved his fight. He was swinging for the fences a little too much with that right to get the finish, but the chants for the leg kicks on the ground were unreal :D. I reckon he will cause problems in the division, it would be nice to see him fight on another European card soon.

Parke is very solid, needed the finish after last few performances.

Gunni was a bit slow off the mark but got the RNC handily. People commenting about his physique need to get a grip, the lad is in great shape, but doesn't need to shred himself to make the weight is all.

Comments about Brandao taking a dive are laughable, just because his eyes don't roll back into his head doesn't mean he's still in the fight. I actually applaud him for coming into the lion's den and then standing in the pocket. I feel like Cole Miller would have tried to put on a stinker, while Brandao actually wanted a scrap. He came in in great shape, and like he said at the post-fight presser, Conor was the better man on the night.

And what a night it was :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

went into this thinking gunni was just about the hottest prospect
    in mma and was unsure just how good conor might be

now it's the other way round :confused:

performances like that against rory like someone said would
    be a complete waste of time
    Theres no doubt he's better than that and maybe he knew he
    had zaks measure so could afford to be patient knowing he
    would eventually get the job done
    Next fight should be interesting