Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Molumphy a mediocre hurler, Shane O Sullivan better than Molumphy...did some dense fog hit some parts of the County in the early hours of this morning?

Give me one example of where Shane Sullivan earned his place on the team this weekend from our previous outings this year? No fog where I am but kinda getting sick of these derogatory comments on here when something doesn't suit ye! Yer well used to fog up in the Nire Valley too!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Great start to the weekend, if we can show as much fight on the pitch we will be home and hosed by half time!!

That being said I am not going to shy away from debate, facts as i see them are:

a) you do not pick players on their form over the last 5 years. Sully just no up to it this year. Spends the time trying to win frees rather than break tackles and move the play and refs have him pegged at this stage. His deliveries are too slow and to often inaccurate, and has too many Hail Mary's for points. that being said, the current game plan probably dosen't suit either. Molomphy on last year (hasn't played enough this year) was back to his best after being destroyed by Davy tactics. No longer trying to draw fouls, he was winning dirty ball, heading for space and delivering quick incisive ball into indie froward line. If encouraged to do that he would be in my team ahead of Sully.

b) Treatment of Ryan Donnelly is very poor - think he is still paying the price for a trip to Liverpool - stinks of a personal agenda which if it is the case it immature and poor.

c) Jake, who i have great time for, either through injury, tiredness, loss of form or a stupid game plan, is not performing this year and time on the bench might do him no harm. Not discard him by any means but nobody should be above being dropped when not playing well.

d) Gavin O'Brien got two good scores against Laois when he came on, started well the other night and got two lovely points then went out of the game, but we were so disorganized in that game Henry Shefflin would have disappeared if playing for us.

e) On Paudie O'Mahony, I believe he has not delivered to his potential this year and that is only because i rate him so highly and believe he is capable of so much more. Against Dublin in the first game and against Galway he worked himself into the ground, constantly showing for and demanding the ball. Since then he has gone back into his shell, again possibly suffering with out tactics.

Biggest fear for Saturday night is our tactics, the team picked with Sully at wing forward is designed more than likely for him to drop back to midfield to allow Brick or Pender fill the sweeper role or for him to fill it himself. We are starting straight away into negative tactics. Wexford wild most likely drop a sweeper , if we follow suit it will end up with 7 backs against 5 forwards on each side, Wexford have the better ball winners and we will struggle. Would be much happier to see us combat the sweeper system by using the spare man at our back left by their sweeper, to move the ball quickly down into the corners by passing half back line and sweeper, where we could use the pace and directness of the likes of Dunford and Donnelly in the corners. The sweeper system only works if opposition hits ball blindly into the area he is patrolling. He is one man and he cannot cover the entire width of the field. If he is being by-passed he becomes in effective they won't be long abandoning him. We do not have the hurlers mentally or physically for these negative tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

#1 Ian O Reagan
    #2 Taigh De Burca
    #3 Liam Lawlor
    #4 Noel Connors
    #5 Jaime Nagle
    #6 Shane Fives
    #7 Darragh Fives
    #8 Stephen Molumphy
    #9 Michael Brick Walsh
    # 10 Pauric Mahony
    #11 Padraig Pendergast
    #12 Austin Gleeson
    #13 Jaime Barron
    #14 Shane Walsh
    #15 Stephen Bennett

blueflame wrote: »
    Great start to the weekend, if we can show as much fight on the pitch we will be home and hosed by half time!!

That being said I am not going to shy away from debate, facts as i see them are:

a) you do not pick players on their form over the last 5 years. Sully just no up to it this year. Spends the time trying to win frees rather than break tackles and move the play and refs have him pegged at this stage. His deliveries are too slow and to often inaccurate, and has too many Hail Mary's for points. that being said, the current game plan probably dosen't suit either. Molomphy on last year (hasn't played enough this year) was back to his best after being destroyed by Davy tactics. No longer trying to draw fouls, he was winning dirty ball, heading for space and delivering quick incisive ball into indie froward line. If encouraged to do that he would be in my team ahead of Sully.

b) Treatment of Ryan Donnelly is very poor - think he is still paying the price for a trip to Liverpool - stinks of a personal agenda which if it is the case it immature and poor.

c) Jake, who i have great time for, either through injury, tiredness, loss of form or a stupid game plan, is not performing this year and time on the bench might do him no harm. Not discard him by any means but nobody should be above being dropped when not playing well.

d) Gavin O'Brien got two good scores against Laois when he came on, started well the other night and got two lovely points then went out of the game, but we were so disorganized in that game Henry Shefflin would have disappeared if playing for us.

e) On Paudie O'Mahony, I believe he has not delivered to his potential this year and that is only because i rate him so highly and believe he is capable of so much more. Against Dublin in the first game and against Galway he worked himself into the ground, constantly showing for and demanding the ball. Since then he has gone back into his shell, again possibly suffering with out tactics.

Biggest fear for Saturday night is our tactics, the team picked with Sully at wing forward is designed more than likely for him to drop back to midfield to allow Brick or Pender fill the sweeper role or for him to fill it himself. We are starting straight away into negative tactics. Wexford wild most likely drop a sweeper , if we follow suit it will end up with 7 backs against 5 forwards on each side, Wexford have the better ball winners and we will struggle. Would be much happier to see us combat the sweeper system by using the spare man at our back left by their sweeper, to move the ball quickly down into the corners by passing half back line and sweeper, where we could use the pace and directness of the likes of Dunford and Donnelly in the corners. The sweeper system only works if opposition hits ball blindly into the area he is patrolling. He is one man and he cannot cover the entire width of the field. If he is being by-passed he becomes in effective they won't be long abandoning him. We do not have the hurlers mentally or physically for these negative tactics.

Well said I couldn't agree more with that analysis. People on here think there's a personal agenda against certain players which couldn't be more further from the truth. Its when you see differential treatment for certain players then you have to start asking questions. You're right Donnelly is paying the price for the weekend away and it stinks that a personal gripe should keep him out of the side. Gavin O Brien another unfairly treated. When you hear that Stephen Bennett was going to start how desperate does that sound? Only back from a serious injury,not near full fitness but yet was willing to be sacrificed. If that had happened then you would have seen Dunford sitting on the bench.
    Your right also about this sweeper system also I fear that physically we will struggle against it in the forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

"i'm going mad ted".

• Advertisement

"i'm going mad ted".

LOL still laughing at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

cul beag wrote: »
    Give me one example of where Shane Sullivan earned his place on the team this weekend from our previous outings this year? No fog where I am but kinda getting sick of these derogatory comments on here when something doesn't suit ye! Yer well used to fog up in the Nire Valley too!

You've read my post completely wrong, those were some of the statements that baffled me this morning that other posters made. I think you'll find I made no argument that O'Sullivan should start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lads I'm looking for 3 stand tickets, I know they're sold out but if ye know anyone who's selling or not able to make it, could ye let me know? Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

We haven't got much pace, Makes the current set up of play even more difficult, I think we are in for a frustrating night Saturday with this system from the start - it is turning the supporters off and I think we will eventually lose.

I think we will have to put up with it for the next few years.

Your system has to suit your players not the other way around and we need guys like Mullane in the forwards for this to work (I would argue it rarely works anyway).

We don't have the pace or the personnel on the pitch on Saturday for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

I just fear that if we lose saturday that it could be the spark for a lot of supporters to turn their back on the county team, if they have not already done so. Especially if we play to a negative game plan once again. If we do end up losing ( I really hope we dont) then it will raise SERIOUS questions over the wrongful dismissal of michael ryan and how he was treated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 olpaddymac

We have not lost the match yet. I agree with what most of the Saturdayman says. These guys are amateur players and have been picked by a management team as being the 15 best in the county available at this present time. I personally think we will win on Saturday and I hope some of the doomsayers will eat some humble pie.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

cul beag wrote: »
    Answer me this- What did Ryan Donnelly do wrong in the Laois game to be substituted in the first half? When is he going to get the same chances to show his ability? What has Nagle done so much wrong that he's banished from the side? One bad game and thrown on the scrap heap. There's a fella that's on the panel with 6-7 yrs,played under all the different managers so why don't we start him eh?
    The Maurice argument is that if he was fully fit I would have him on before Sullivan and Jake.
    I'm delighted to see your defense of your clubmates but it must have rightly stuck in your throat when the appeal was mistakenly forgotten!! Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!!

at what point did i say im from ballgunner??! also maybe mgmt feel moloumphy offers more as an impact sub then he does from open play, lads shane may be poor in recent times but can anyone remember the last time moloumphy was a stand out player???!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

alf tupper has 1 anyways said its at home but he isnt travelling as "enough is enough"

alf u might do the honourable thing and help out your fellow county man???!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I think the team picked is good enough to win Saturday. I may have a personnal preference for 1 change 2 if Mo or BOH were fully fit but nevertheless these are marginal enough calls and I think overall should not make much difference, the ref will have much more a bearing on things than the marginal selection issues. Tactics maybe a worry but I believe the game was there to be won against Cork the first day and I would not fault the tactics as a reason we threw that away, the players need to man up a bit too and drive it on. An example of this would be Mo Shan against Offaly last year where he took ownership of procedings and brought us home. Also the last 10/15 mins against Kilkenny last year, Kevin Moran, Ray Barry and the rest. Its knock out hurling now and I hope that concentrates minds into thinking efficiently and promptly.

Looking at last years team v Kilkenny

WATERFORD: S O’Keeffe; S Fives, L Lawlor, N Connors; J Nagle, M Walsh, K Moran (c); R Foley, D Fives; J Dillon, S Prendergast, S O’Sullivan; J Barron, M Shanahan, B O’Sullivan.
    Subs for Waterford: R Barry for B O’Sullivan (48), M O’Neill for Shanahan (55), S Walsh for O’Neill (inj. 58), P Prendergast for Foley (inj. 60), T Browne for D Fives (inj. 68), E Barrett for Barron (77), D Fives for P Prendergast (82), M Shanahan for Moran (inj. 85).

I think the young players introduced this year have given us a lift. I think we have now a better team than last year and the bench is way stronger, stronger than ever I would say. Long term injuries Philip Mahony and Daniels would not improve the team in all honesty.

This is it now this is where we can judge the work thats been done this year. I think we have been unlucky enough earlier in the year with injuries, red cards etc but that is now in the past. Anything short of a win will be hugely disapointing

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford hurling is now in serious crisis. At a time when optimism for the future should be at an all-time high given the unprecedented flow of talent coming out of the minor grade, a general managerial malaise has led to widespread anger and frustration among supporters. It was bad enough after the Laois game, but I have never before experienced such exasperation as was palpable among supporters streaming out of Walsh Park after the shambles we witnessed on Wednesday night.

The crass incompetence and stupidity of the under 21 management has already been well dissected by other contributors to this thread, especially the excellent pieces by Blueflame and Horseboxhead. This incompetence and stupidity is a carbon copy of what has been happening at senior level, as a supposedly defensive system has produced some of the worst hidings shipped by Waterford in recent memory.

The range of terms used by contributors here to describe Wednesday's farce reflects just how widespread supporters' fury is with the way things are going: disgraceful, mind boggling, shambolic, aimless, rudderless, gormless, stupid, crap, disgusting, shocking, criminal, crazy, truly awful, angry, a new low, frustrating, embarrassing, incompetent, clueless, ridiculous, disastrous, piss poor, cat.

I have always felt that if Waterford had taken a more positive approach to last year's under 21 game against Clare in Walsh Park, we would now be All-Ireland champions. However, at least against Clare, with their lineup of star players, an argument could be made for a defensive setup. But for a team with 13 county senior panellists, ten of them in the senior matchday 25 and seven of them with senior championship experience to adopt a defensive setup against a Cork team with one player on the senior team and three senior subs (none of them likely to make a senior appearance) defied all understanding.

That Cork team came to Walsh Park hoping at best to put up a decent performance - their manager Pat Kenneally more or less admitted as much in the Examiner yesterday. But the negativity of the Waterford set up and the obvious confusion among players regarding what they were supposed to be doing drained the confidence out of them while Cork grew visibly in self-belief as the prospect of getting a result became increasingly apparent. This contrast in mindset could be seen in the way Cork sent a series of long distance shots between the posts while, in the second half, five Waterford shots dropped into the hand of the Cork goalie.

Blueflame has summarised the situation very clearly:

The negative tactics employed at Senior and U21 level have failed, they have resulted in four absolute "thrashings", they have undermined the confidence of a glorious generation of young hurlers and they have alienated a huge portion of loyal and dedicated supporters.

As Letowski (posting from Clare) has put it:

Ye now have top quality forwards coming through onto U21 and senior and none of these boys are used to playing this way from minor. They are natural winners and I don't think a negative mind set will help them in there development. Ye would get more out of them playing the style that has been successful for them and what they are used to.

The manner in which the current Under 21 and Senior managers were appointed reflects all that is wrong with the GAA in Waterford. In any other county, given the talent coming through and the need to develop it effectively, the County Board should have appointed a search committee, made up mainly of former county hurlers with suitable expertise, to scour the country to see who might be available, what they would plan to do if appointed, and what conditions they would expect to be met if they were to go forward for appointment as manager of the county team.

Instead, the County Board simply advertised for applications for the position. Very few serious contenders were likely to apply in this situation, risking embarrassment at either not being interviewed or being appointed, especially given the reputation of the County Board executive for bizarre and incompetent decision-making. Not surprisingly, there were just two real contenders, and I presume Derek McGrath got the job because he used a Powerpoint presentation and big words in his interview - a case of the inept talking to the even more inept. Peter Queally then got the under 21 team as a consolation prize.

Anyway, personally, I am not going to take this anymore. Alf Tupper has said here that after 40 years never missing a match, he will not be travelling to Nowlan Park tomorrow night. I can go back even farther - almost 55 years - and have followed the team through thick and thin (mostly the latter until the last 15 years) in that period. Not only will I not attend tomorrow's game, but will remain absent as long as these two remain in charge of our under 21 and senior teams and continue with these crazy and self-destructive tactics.

at what point did i say im from ballgunner??! also maybe mgmt feel moloumphy offers more as an impact sub then he does from open play, lads shane may be poor in recent times but can anyone remember the last time moloumphy was a stand out player???!

Hmm, well in his last season he got two man of the match awards out of three games. Back to the team this year, sharpness needed to improve, the standout player in the 1st half v Dublin before doing his hamstring.

What more can he do?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

Hmm, well in his last season he got two man of the match awards out of three games. Back to the team this year, sharpness needed to improve, the standout player in the 1st half v Dublin before doing his hamstring.

What more can he do?

Maybe go to De La Salle for a year to repeat his Leaving Cert or else meet the Manager a few days a week for lunch!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Comments have been made about some supporters might need to "eat humble pie" after Saturday night. I disagree, supporters have a right to vent their anger at a system that has seen our teams humiliated on four occasions this year. If we play the system on Saturday night and it works Good luck to him and I will be the first to celebrate, but it is a system that will fail more often then not, it is a defeatist system that creates negativity in players and supporters and gives impetus to the opposition.

Not taking anything away form our minors but last Sunday, Limerick decided to close out the game for the last 5 minutes or so, all of a sudden our lads gained confidence, dominated our half back and and started driving balls into the Limerick Full back line - as we grew in confidence Limerick faded and the pressure told. If you want to shut out a game in hurling, you keep doing the right things that got you into such a strong position to begin with, clear your own lines and fight on their lines. It is not like soccer of Gaelic football where if you crowd your defence it is almost impossible to break through. Points are scored from distance, balls break regularly in the area. For God sake a 20 meter free can be scored with 10 players between the free taker and the goal.

This is not just about Saturday night, this is about the development of some outstanding talent. I honestly believe that we have a panel that is very close to achieving something great, with the right leadership.

Leadership will not come from our county board. I would not see any other county board accepting what happened in Walsh Park last Wednesday night. Leadership must come from the field, and from management, get some confidence and belief and drive on. Last year i felt we hurled with an amount of fear against KK until the last 10 minutes when our players realized we had nothing to fear but fear itself and we cut loose and very nearly won it. I hoped that night with the impetus of young lads joining the panel we would take that belief into this year. Saturday night is the time to cut loose and make the hurling world sit up and take notice again, make other teams fear Waterford again. We will not do this with fear and negative tactics.

One final request to "Alf Tupper" and "Give it Fong" and others who might stay away. I know only too well how you feel, but you will not change anything with empty seats or worse still, Wexford people sitting in them Our county board would not notice if we all sat bloody naked in the stand Saturday night, never mind miss us. They might crib abut it but that is all. Turn up and make your voice heard in support and maybe the management will then listen

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford hurling is now in serious crisis. At a time when optimism for the future should be at an all-time high given the unprecedented flow of talent coming out of the minor grade, a general managerial malaise has led to widespread anger and frustration among supporters. It was bad enough after the Laois game, but I have never before experienced such exasperation as was palpable among supporters streaming out of Walsh Park after the shambles we witnessed on Wednesday night.

The crass incompetence and stupidity of the under 21 management has already been well dissected by other contributors to this thread, especially the excellent pieces by Blueflame and Horseboxhead. This incompetence and stupidity is a carbon copy of what has been happening at senior level, as a supposedly defensive system has produced some of the worst hidings shipped by Waterford in recent memory.

The range of terms used by contributors here to describe Wednesday's farce reflects just how widespread supporters' fury is with the way things are going: disgraceful, mind boggling, shambolic, aimless, rudderless, gormless, stupid, crap, disgusting, shocking, criminal, crazy, truly awful, angry, a new low, frustrating, embarrassing, incompetent, clueless, ridiculous, disastrous, piss poor, cat.

I have always felt that if Waterford had taken a more positive approach to last year's under 21 game against Clare in Walsh Park, we would now be All-Ireland champions. However, at least against Clare, with their lineup of star players, an argument could be made for a defensive setup. But for a team with 13 county senior panellists, ten of them in the senior matchday 25 and seven of them with senior championship experience to adopt a defensive setup against a Cork team with one player on the senior team and three senior subs (none of them likely to make a senior appearance) defied all understanding.

That Cork team came to Walsh Park hoping at best to put up a decent performance - their manager Pat Kenneally more or less admitted as much in the Examiner yesterday. But the negativity of the Waterford set up and the obvious confusion among players regarding what they were supposed to be doing drained the confidence out of them while Cork grew visibly in self-belief as the prospect of getting a result became increasingly apparent. This contrast in mindset could be seen in the way Cork sent a series of long distance shots between the posts while, in the second half, five Waterford shots dropped into the hand of the Cork goalie.

Blueflame has summarised the situation very clearly:

The negative tactics employed at Senior and U21 level have failed, they have resulted in four absolute "thrashings", they have undermined the confidence of a glorious generation of young hurlers and they have alienated a huge portion of loyal and dedicated supporters.

As Letowski (posting from Clare) has put it:

Ye now have top quality forwards coming through onto U21 and senior and none of these boys are used to playing this way from minor. They are natural winners and I don't think a negative mind set will help them in there development. Ye would get more out of them playing the style that has been successful for them and what they are used to.

The manner in which the current Under 21 and Senior managers were appointed reflects all that is wrong with the GAA in Waterford. In any other county, given the talent coming through and the need to develop it effectively, the County Board should have appointed a search committee, made up mainly of former county hurlers with suitable expertise, to scour the country to see who might be available, what they would plan to do if appointed, and what conditions they would expect to be met if they were to go forward for appointment as manager of the county team.

Instead, the County Board simply advertised for applications for the position. Very few serious contenders were likely to apply in this situation, risking embarrassment at either not being interviewed or being appointed, especially given the reputation of the County Board executive for bizarre and incompetent decision-making. Not surprisingly, there were just two real contenders, and I presume Derek McGrath got the job because he used a Powerpoint presentation and big words in his interview - a case of the inept talking to the even more inept. Peter Queally then got the under 21 team as a consolation prize.

Anyway, personally, I am not going to take this anymore. Alf Tupper has said here that after 40 years never missing a match, he will not be travelling to Nowlan Park tomorrow night. I can go back even farther - almost 55 years - and have followed the team through thick and thin (mostly the latter until the last 15 years) in that period. Not only will I not attend tomorrow's game, but will remain absent as long as these two remain in charge of our under 21 and senior teams and continue with these crazy and self-destructive tactics.

Sorry to hear that Give It Fong, you are obviously a knowledgable and loyal supporter and I always log on here to see your match reports of games I haven't attended.

I have spoken to a few of lads in Cork who are playing senior club in Cork, from three different clubs, one of them is not a Cork native and I would trust his honest appraisal, I have been told that this was not a good U21 cork team, and having played against some of it's players numerous times he could not believe they beat waterford.... It must be said though fair play to cork and well done to them.

But the point of the matter is that waterford at U21 level and senior are now playing this system no matter who they are playing against, in an effort to perfect this system, so it is not even a tactic tailored to the opposition, with this approach we will come a cropper against Laois or someone soon, just as we did against Cork in the U21 during the week.

I have followed Waterford for years too, many of during the bad days of the 70's 80's and the early part of the 90's, the most disappointing part for me is that I went to the Laois game and instead of seeing players having a enjoyable game it was both teams with this dreadful set up, as a spectator it is totally frustrating from the outset and it is like no enjoyment can be got from that game.

I dunno maybe the game has passed me by, I would prefer to watch us lose playing a nice open fast brand of hurling where players can express themselves and have a cut, you know those defeats where we played manfully and fought to the end, the emptiness of defeat eased somewhat by a heroic performance, some pride could be garnered.

Compare this to the Cork replay, abject, demoralising, Cork backs lining up to take the ball from each other to drive the next nail in the coffin.

I have seen the bad days and do you know what, I can take the losing, I have been through it before, I can still pick out positives and pride in the performances.

But the Cork replay and the u21 didn't even have that, and I sense another defeat like it. If not Saturday, soon - (a victory Saturday, vindicating the system for another day would almost be bittersweet) unless of course the management change, but they won't, if they didn't against Laois they won't.

The same media that are heralding this new breed of tactician managers were the same ones that said JBM didn't know how to put out a team in the modern age and that he wasn't able to cope with the likes of Davy etc... See how that worked out this year??

I don't think I have ever felt this way going into a match.

I can see Colin dunford and Shane Walsh in the inside line, Shane Walsh in a two man, running away from goal trying to chase down corner backs when he should be in on the square....

I must be fierce stupid I don't think this makes sense at all. I guess I have turned into a hurling version of these old lads giving out about the blanket defence in the big ball

I think that some of these new genius managers need to learn it is about the guys on the field, the hurlers and not about them and their massive brains

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

I've hired a plane to fly over Nolan Park on Saturday evening with a 'Wrong one' banner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

carter10 wrote: »
    I've hired a plane to fly over Nolan Park on Saturday evening with a 'Wrong one' banner

I think 'say no to sweepers' would be even more apt!

Mountainlad. Apologies for misreading your post this morning. While I mightn't always agree with your opinions I know you are genuinely on here posting about the betterment of Waterford gaa without ever personally abusing or degrading fellow deise posters. Apologies again ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Hon the deise

olpaddymac wrote: »
    We have not lost the match yet. I agree with what most of the Saturdayman says. These guys are amateur players and have been picked by a management team as being the 15 best in the county available at this present time. I personally think we will win on Saturday and I hope some of the doomsayers will eat some humble pie.

In that statement lies the big problem with the current set up."picked by a management team as being the 15 best available at this present time" Clearly there are certain rules for some on the panel and different ones for the favorites.
    You seem to think this is a personal vendetta against management. You couldn't be more wrong. I would sell my soul to see us win a Liam McCarthy. Like other posters on here I too have travelled the length and breadth of the country following my team. Am I entitled to an opinion if I feel I see injustice being done? Of course I am. I,like alot more supporters help when the fundraising events are on around the county for the hurlers so as to help these amateurs achieve their/my dream of an all Ireland. But that's my choice,that's what I signed up for all those years ago when I started following Waterford. And now when I begin to see an unbelievable crop of hurlers coming through,being destroyed by the current set up I will of course vent my frustration. It is nothing personal on any of them but if I see an injustice being done I will say it. As for eating humble pie sat night,I will be thrilled if we win absolutely thrilled because unlike others on here I want to see my county prosper,not my club,my county and if that happens sat night then brilliant. Does it still solve the problem of the negative tripe we're seeing all year at senior and u21? Absolutely not. These young fellas have some fantastic natural hurling ability that is being choked out of them into strategies that are completely foreign to what has brought them to this level already and by continuing to use these tactics all that will end up happening is turning these fellas away from the set up.

I have to say I would live to see waterford do well but I would prefer my local club to be winning things at all levels first... If I could only have one or the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Alf Tupper

olpaddymac wrote: »
    I personally think we will win on Saturday and I hope some of the doomsayers will eat some humble pie.

That's our problem there.

We are gone so low that to manage to get over the line against Wexford will be hailed as an amazing victory against the odds.

We should be going to Kilkenny with confidence that we can beat Wexford on Saturday night.

Unfortunately we are going down on a wing and a prayer with a f*cked up game plan and the whole set up in disarray.

Players are disillusioned, with many of them knowing that no matter how well they perform in training or challenges they will never get a look in.

Management are arguing, divided and in desperation with three of them knowing that no matter what they say, there are prima donnas who have nailed down places no matter what because they so close to the Manager.

McGrath is making it up on the hoof.

The attempt to try to get Stephen Bennett to start on Saturday night tells you all you need to know about the so called professional set up in the camp.

That poor lad is light years away from being fit enough to start any match, not to mind make a senior inter county debut.

It's pure keystone cops stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Jaysus lads yere all very negative on here, Ive never seen such negativity from a team still in the championship. Yee are still in the Championship by the way so maybe save it until ye do go out. I think ye will beat Wexford, this is a completely different game to what they would have got against Clare plus they will be confident of winning which I think could counter against them. Its not that long ago since ye put it up to Cork, whose to say that cant happen again. Never over till the fat lady sings

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Jaysus lads yere all very negative on here, Ive never seen such negativity from a team still in the championship. Yee are still in the Championship by the way so maybe save it until ye do go out. I think ye will beat Wexford, this is a completely different game to what they would have got against Clare plus they will be confident of winning which I think could counter against them. Its not that long ago since ye put it up to Cork, whose to say that cant happen again. Never over till the fat lady sings

Agreed, you'd have to say this place will only be worth avoiding if Waterford do lose because one can only imagine what it would be like then.

Not saying I'm happy with the year to date but still plenty of opportunity to turn it around. Was lucky I wasn't at the u21 I suppose, I think that is really what killed the mood. We were all looking forward to a good crack at it this year after last year but to be hammered again for what is in reality the 4th time in 5 years is really depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Didn't think I'd be able to go but Irish Rail have put on a special train for the match. Got tickets sorted, managed to get a few friends to go too. Looking forward to a packed terrace like the good days and a loud Waterford crowd.

• Advertisement

Agreed, you'd have to say this place will only be worth avoiding if Waterford do lose because one can only imagine what it would be like then.

Not saying I'm happy with the year to date but still plenty of opportunity to turn it around. Was lucky I wasn't at the u21 I suppose, I think that is really what killeda the mood. We were all looking forward to a good crack at it this year after last year but to be hammered again for what is in reality the 4th time in 5 years is really depressing.

I think the U21 has demoralised a lot of people.

That and getting hammered by cork in U21, intermediate and senior

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement