Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

SOK, Shane Fives, Moran, Dunford and Brick can hold heads high.[/quote]

And Seamus as well. Having him in around the goal made a big difference when he came on. Our biggest problem is our lack of ball winners in the forwards. Until we find a few lads who can play in the half forward line and are able to get up and catch like the big man, we are going nowhere fast. Probably the last time we will see Pender in the waterford jersey unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It is intresting that this was posted on the 6th of June 2013.Saturday Man was trying to undermine Michael Ryan by bigging up Derek McGraths credentials.I think this goes to show that this ambush was being planned long before Waterford lost to Kilkenny last year.
    derek is the only man for the job. end of conversation. he is top top top class.

anyone that ever worked with him or trained under him will tell you the same.

I could have a field day picking through all his posts but it goes to show that this guy has a serious axe to grind.The vast majority of his posts are pro Derek McGrath/Anti Michael Ryan/Anti West Waterford propaganda.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

SOK, Shane Fives, Moran, Dunford and Brick can hold heads high.

And Seamus as well. Having him in around the goal made a big difference when he came on. Our biggest problem is our lack of ball winners in the forwards. Until we find a few lads who can play in the half forward line and are able to get up and catch like the big man, we are going nowhere fast. Probably the last time we will see Pender in the waterford jersey unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

http://t.co/QeY0Dzxuqg

Hopefully mossy is feeling better by next year, he is a demon in the hf and wasted in the ff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Traffic management here is brutal. Guards are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

A Wexford team that was playing it's third championship game in two weeks (make that 4 games for their u21 players) ran the legs of Waterford tonight which is a damming indictment on those involved in the physical and fitness preparation of the panel.

And to rub salt into the wound, Shay Fitzpatrick is the physio for Wexford. he has to travel through the city from Ballygunner to get to Wexford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

best day out of last summer was in ashbourne, were 23 points up at half time, 500 waterford people in a bar ignoring the match on the pitch and cheering on Cork against KK ,pure magic

What's the saying? What's seldom is wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I'm usually one to try not be negative, but that was desperate stuff tonight. The scoreline doesnt do Wexford justice at all. We were blessed to be still in with a chance at the final whistle. 1 point is all we scored after the second goal, absolutely shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭skaface

Don't know what to say at this minute and time.. Too depressed.
    Something is seriously wrong with the whole set up we have here in Waterford..
    Too much division in the county and too many Clicks going on, and until we sort it out
    we will be waiting a Long time to be serious challengers for an All Ireland..
    It's a pity because we have plenty of players , we're just not getting the best out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

One thing I noticed tonight was a complete lack of engagement from the manager to the players before the start of the match, in the roughly 10 minutes before the game I saw him only briefly speak to 1 player - Kevin Moran. Considering the fact that Wexford were on a roll going into the game I would have expected an amount of 'gee-ing up' to have been going on from our end, but nothing. We started very flat too.

Really apart from a 10 minute patch in the first half and a similar patch in the second half we were by far the worse team. The ref kept us in it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

I was sitting close to the line and I would be very very concerned for us under this management setup going forward. The number of times players were looking around trying to figure out where they should be was frightening. Tactically we were a shambles, tippy tapping in our backlines, handpassing to players in worse positions, needlessly running into contact, hail Mary strikes from 70 yards plus...list is endless. Let's stop all the spinning here - we have gone massively backwards under this setup and are in real danger of destroying a potentially good group of players. Derek should hold his hands up and step aside or the county board should make the decision for him. Yet again one of the poorest players on display played the 70 with the unfairly axed Nagle and Richie Foley sitting on the bench.

Great display from Colin Dunford, him and Gleeson kept us in the game scoreboard wise.

As disappointed as I've been after a game since 2008. No traffic on way back, fans are being turned off by this embarrassement of a setup and the previous treatment of a fine hurling man like Michael Ryan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Twas a miracle that there was still one only score between the teams at the end. Wexford let us into it in before half time (apart from their goal) and after they went 7 up, they started showboating to some extent.

Once Seamus came on and a few direct passages of play happened, we went in front and then just stopped playing. You would think a team that had played 180 minutes in the last two weeks would be stopping but Wexford kept charging down the field. We looked like the team that was stopping and were lucky we didn't lose by 8 or 9 points.

Watching on telly but it was noted by Jamesie that Waterford had 1 forward within 65 yards of goal and also as the game entered injury time, a ball was played into Seamus on the 21 and he was the furthest forward player.

I don't know about the manager but the system of play is certainly a waste of time. Hail Mary shots don't look like much of a tactic to me.

Where we go from here is anyone's guess. We don't have any scoring threat apart from O'Mahony's frees so what Division 1B will do for the development of the team is hard to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Who was centre back tonight. I saw brick filling it after 3rd goal but I couldn't for the life of me who was doing it before then. Did we start with 14

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Who was centre back tonight. I saw brick filling it after 3rd goal but I couldn't for the life of me who was doing it before then. Did we start with 14

Taking brick out of the centre back position is one of the many great mysteries that this management team is responsible for. The mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

One thing that strikes me is that we don't have as many 'athletes' up top as other counties; we seem to lack a bit of explosive pace that the likes of Mullane offered when he was playing. The likes of Cork and Clare have a good few really quick players and it makes all the difference when it comes to spreading the play and exploiting space. Dunford and Gleeson are a breath of fresh air.

Management have a lot to answer for following that bad year. Relegated from 1A and no championship win against anyone noteworthy, not meaning any disrespect to Laois. The scoreline flattered us today, didn't really pose a threat at all to Wexford in the last 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭Gavlor

This Justin McCarthy tactic of players constantly switching positions was an absolute disaster tonight. At one stage in the first half we seemed to have fallen on a decent set up and we looked strong down the middle but then everyone switched again.

For ten minutes in the second half (after our second goal) we had nobdy at left half back.

Wexford looked a lot more organised, settled and had a clear tactic of playing the ball into space. We just lobbed useless balls down the throat of their full back line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

Not home long from Kilkennny now, Im more or less feeling the same regards the set up, I will post my thoughts below regards the set up. Just a few words on todays match first, Lawlor got exposed badly ( Dunne obvs picked him out as a weak link). In the first half the reason we were still in the match was because of long range point scoring from a very withdrawn half forward line and frees. We didnt have a sweeper per say but more or less 11/12 players attempting to crowd wex space by occupying in between the 2 65s.

I thought the wex hb line done very well in laying the ball off to the man on the over lap and not just driving the ball in aimlessly . The second goal was a disaster, lawlor individual error not a reflection on team. The second half became much more direct , wexford actually operated with more or less 2 inside forwards for nearly all the second half, and wford had spare man in front of mcdonald. In fairness wexford imo were the better team by 5 or 6 points but again they really seem to lose concentration when they go in front and missed a few scorable frees and chances from play. Introduction of prender and molumphy reaked of desperation from management, it worked for 1 ball, in fairness a goal came off it alright.

Dunford can be proud of his performance, not just the goals but general play and never stopped running fairplay to him. A few of our more senior players offered virtually nothing today and seemed very unfit which is unusual. There just isnt enough cut, guile or manly play in our forwards and the u21 was the exact same. Its all fine having lovely dainty wristy hurlers but jaysus you need a couple of fellas who can mix it too, i presume shane os was there for dis reason but it just didnt materialize for him. Mcgrath seems to favour these small dainty hurlers who cant win their own ball over other physically stronger players, not sure why perhaps a reflection on himself who knows.

Id love to know how Jamie Nagle and Richie Foley. Molumphy are not getting their game on this team even from the bench for the first two , really puzzles me, ( i spose they are all from west clubs) they have experience at this level and as i said we are seriously lacking that physcial edge in every game this year. In fairness wexford deserved the win but as a waterford man i heard william maher stating in his post match comments that something like we started the year 6th or 7th best team in country etc etc... To hear a tipp man say this with a defeatist attitude wrecks my head, if thats hes attitude lave him go back to his own county.

I dont wanna bring this forum into a michael ryan/ derek macgrath discussion but look at the facts lads. Ryan only lost his job cos a clique of players didnt like him and prob cudnt understand his accent.

Facts:
    We have been relegated from div 1a, getting a fair few trimmings along the way.
    We have not won a match away from walsh park all year.
    Supporters are turning their back on following waterford due to the ugly defensive system
    Michael Ryans reputation is firmly intact and is being proven to be a top class manager

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Christ do I not take pleasure in posting here tonight. Same story different day. Can't believe some posters are blaming the fullback line when our whole half forward line couldn't win possession in the first place. The diagonal balls being sent into our full back line were nearly impossible to defend at times. We struggled for long periods at midfield also and were fighting a losing battle from there on in. Wexford were there for the taking,if we were more positive and direct in our play. The amount of turnovers we gave away was frightening from this short passing game.
    Again the management need to answer serious questions. Ryan Donnelly starts against Laois in the previous game and isn't named on tonight 's squad? Stephen Bennett is brought in while clearly not 70% fit. Jamie Barron Jamie Nagle ray Barry all cast aside tonight and suddenly martin O Neill is flavour of the month! Enter the Greene influence me thinks. What I'm trying to highlight here is the managements total inconsistency with players and their smell of desperation to try to get a win. For a so called modern manager he hasn't a clue how to manage at this level. These players aren't fools,and were obviously led to believe by the pro McGrath camp that he was the new messiah but as it turns out he is clueless. Take it from me all is not well behind the scenes for a good few weeks and expect to see a big turnaround in players retiring and walking away from this mess in the next few months. Stuff that has gone on in the past week beggars belief in how desperate the man is and really shows his amateurish ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

citykat wrote: »
    What's the saying? What's seldom is wonderful.

Nothing to do with the actual match today mind. Just a typical dig at kilkenny at every opportunity

cul beag wrote: »
    Take it from me all is not well behind the scenes for a good few weeks and expect to see a big turnaround in players retiring and walking away from this mess in the next few months. Stuff that has gone on in the past week beggars belief in how desperate the man is and really shows his amateurish ways.

Thought the above was very evident tonight from the amount of berating that was going on between certain players. I would be quite worried that there is a clear division within the panel but I suppose we will see what happens in next few weeks. Would be a shame if stalwarts like Brick, Molumphy or Prender were to have had their last intercounty experience in that shambles tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

McGrath out. Nice guy but this year has been so poor. The style of hurling is awful, the results have been bad, and our hurling skills have regressed. This is nothing personal and I believe that Derek has the best interests of Waterford hurling at heart but this year has just not been good enough. We were beaten by a better drilled, better managed Wexford team this evening and were very lucky not to be hammered. The Wexford players played to a definite game plan - releasing ball carriers with pace from deep to run at the Waterford defence - very effective. The Brick, Seamus, Gleeson and Dunford can hold their heads high - Moran needed to stamp his authority in the game from the start but went missing and some of Sokkys puck outs were criminal. In general, the team were low on confidence and they looked lost at times. The AI looks further away than ever - this management team needs to step aside now as the next few years are crucial for the development of a potentially v. exciting crop of young players. If they do not step aside then the County Board should remove them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 DeiseWhites

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Traffic management here is brutal. Guards are useless.

Couldn't agree more thought Thurles was bad to get out of but this place takes the biscuit. Made the mistake of parking in O'Loughlins. There were loads of stewards to take you money on the way in but very few to be seen in the free for all after the game. As for the police management of traffic don't get me started.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DeiseWhites

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    And to rub salt into the wound, Shay Fitzpatrick is the physio for Wexford. he has to travel through the city from Ballygunner to get to Wexford.

Think u will find its Gerry Fitzpatrick of WIT and Wildcats fame. Should never have been allowed to leave the Waterford set up. If we had manged to goal to bring it to ET I think WX would have won handy as several of our players were out on their feet near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Think u will find its Gerry Fitzpatrick of WIT and Wildcats fame. Should never have been allowed to leave the Waterford set up. If we had manged to goal to bring it to ET I think WX would have won handy as several of our players were out on their feet near the end.

I'll blame the Independent there and thanks for the correction, Deise.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

deisedoz wrote: »
    Thought the above was very evident tonight from the amount of berating that was going on between certain players. I would be quite worried that there is a clear division within the panel but I suppose we will see what happens in next few weeks. Would be a shame if stalwarts like Brick, Molumphy or Prender were to have had their last intercounty experience in that shambles tonight.

Whether people want to believe it or not slowly but surely the east/west thing is bubbling under the surface and its all down to McGrath. False promises to players,then absolute non communication with squad members to when his back is to the wall throw them a lifeline then discard them again,to all the while using certain players the whole time on the panel known as the untouchables. If people seriously think we're only in transition ye are in for some rude awakening!! This is one hell of a mess. Mr Greene's input I can tell you is not going down well at all and there lies yet another issue.
    FACTS are as follows from this year: No game won outside of Walsh Park
    Hammered by kilkenny,cork and Clare
    Relegated to div 1b

Now the spin doctors are alive and well at the moment on social media trying to put a positive outlook on this but when they eventually use some smelling salts and come back to reality the above points are what it comes down to.
    A DISASTER.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id say Brick, Seamus Prendergast, Stephen Molumphy and Shane Walsh will all retire and then what a state we will be in. A team full of youngfellas and only a small handful of experienced players.

Its a dark dark day in Waterford hurling today and things are going to get worse if things are not changed.

Hopefully the minors will win on tuesday and give us something to cheer about. If we lose it will be tough because we would only have a 5 day turn around before we could play Dublin in the all ireland quarter final.

At the end of the day Mcgrath is not going to be sacked or walk away so we just have to get on with it.

Expectations next year would be to get a top 4 finish in the league and possbilly a few championship wins but 1B will be tough with both Limerick and Wexford in it and to a lessner extent Laois and Offaly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Couldn't agree more thought Thurles was bad to get out of but this place takes the biscuit. Made the mistake of parking in O'Loughlins. There were loads of stewards to take you money on the way in but very few to be seen in the free for all after the game. As for the police management of traffic don't get me started.

I love as well how they stand out in the middle of the road before the match and pretend there directing traffic...right into the car park haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Waterford's conditioning in general looks ****, they can go for fifty minutes and that's it. Maybe that is Ryan's fault, but its by far McGrath's biggest problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I can see prender and molumphy walkin away from it alright. Pender is too old and molumphy is too busy in his working life to just come and sit on the bench at this stage of his career. Shane Walsh im not sure about. Brick I think will soldier on the kind of guy he is

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Orizio wrote: »
    Waterford's conditioning in general looks ****, they can go for fifty minutes and that's it. Maybe that is Ryan's fault, but its by far McGrath's biggest problem.
    Stop trying to blame anybody else.The biggest problem with this team is that the management is clueless.
    There is no pattern of play. We had "hope for the best hurling". We had 15 individuals out there. Players did their best and there were a few outstanding performances. There is a complete lack of structure to our forward play. It is obvious that the management team has no coherent plan to develop team work, tighten up the defence and develop forward play. It is twenty years behind time. It is living in the past. How Ryan Donnelly, Jamie Barron and Ray Barry were dumped off the panel for tonight is beyond me. Richie Foley and Jamie Nagle are out of favour as well.
    We need an outside coach with a track record. There are plenty of excellent coaches in Kilkenny and Cork. We have got to admit that intercounty standard coaches in Waterford are as scarce as icebergs in the Sahara.

We need the local media to stand up and be counted and spell out the hard facts. But then Waterford is a small country where everybody knows everybody else. So I anticipate there will be very little criticism of management. This would not happen in Tipperary, Kilkenny or Cork. This management team lacks a philosophy of hurling.

This gallant loser mentality must be eradicated. The Wexford team has come a long way under Liam Dunne. It has a discernible pattern of play. Wexford was better than Waterford. Nevertheless Wexford are no world beaters and were there for the taking tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I don't care about Waterford's inner politics, and I have no reason to favour Ryan, McGrath, Tinkerbell or anyone the **** else. I'm not from Waterford.

I'm simply pointing that of all the major teams Waterford's conditioning and fitness is miles behind everyone else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement