Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Once you have the support youll be fab...my other half has been unbelievable through all of pregnancy and beyond!!

And yes about the pooing...it's scary at the time and having a stool softener in the house is no bad thing. My first couple were grand and then I got constipated and it was awful...midwife advised to try ducolac and it's been great.

I was in Rotunda public ward in the corner...went for a shower only to come back to two workmen sawing off rad in my cubicle beside baba with machinary which upset me and then at 8am the next morning midwife pulled back all the curtains to let some air into ward and I was breastfeeding and the same lads just strolled in beside my bed without any warning to mark on the wall where the rad was which really annoyed me.

Food in rotunda is also not the best in terms of diet so I agree get someone to bring things in for you or if youre not happy request some eggs like I did instead to at least get some good stuff in!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Brilliant posts, thank you so much for your honesty ladies. Knowledge is power!

Weird moan: woke up with 2 bumps, like a bloody camel. Seriously, lying down I took the sheet off me just before getting up and I had the normal bump that was kinda high and to the right and a second slight ly smaller bump that was lower and to the left. Freaked the hell out of me, thinking I'd bent it in two over night! my other half had gone out on run without his phone and wouldn't be back for 3 hrs so was a bit panicked. Turns out it was just a very full bladder that made its way up there! it looked very very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Had a tough enough week this past week but was keeping it in perspective (mostly) as I'd been flying along for ages. Then last night my husband made an innocuous enough comment (he'd been visiting relations on Friday night and I didn't go- was very tired, uncomfortable,involved a long drive which is increasingly difficult and decided to stay home alone) whereby all the other mothers he'd spoken to all promised I'd go well over my due date.
    I lost the head totally. Moaned about everyone having an opinion of my pregnancy, due date and I was fed up with no nice comments, etc etc.
    We went to bed a little later and he was fairly subdued and I got even crosser with him and stormed off and slept in the spare room.
    Woke up this morning after another bad nights sleep and felt really sorry for myself. Then I got really emotional reading the July thread with the girls who've either just had their babies and their stories or those about to go into labour.
    He came home from his run to find me in foods of tears and trying to reassure my bump that I love it and wouldn't not have it and the fabulous little baby for anything.
    Nuts really. Thankfully I haven't had too many days like that and hope it stays the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I hear you Penny with everyone commenting on your pregnancy. I was at my nephew's baptism today and the amount of comments was unreal -'is it really that long till you're due? You're so big'. I have just accepted that people feel they have to make some sort of comment, and probably don't always think through that what's coming out of their mouth might be offensive or upsetting.

Also, thank you ladies for sharing your post birth experiences. I was wondering about the shower situation myself!

people feel they have to make some sort of comment

Yeah I try to remember this, especially as before getting pregnant I was one of those clueless fools who said stupid comments because I didn't know what to say.

Although it can be hard some days when everything just gets to you.

The hormones can drive you batty, Penny. We all have those wobbly days. Hang in there, pet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

When you're pregnant it can be like you become other people's property in the sense that people pass remarks they never would if you were you not pregnant!

I've had complete strangers asking me if my baby was planned, others commenting how I must be having twins as I am "SO BIG!!!", and yet more people predicting how humongous my thighs would get in the 3rd trimester. And the list goes on. Funnily, all of the above comments were said by women, and some of them mothers already.

Some weeks this really got to me and there'd be lots of tears. Hoping you have a better upcoming week Penny and don't mind those hormones, best to let it all out even if you feel silly after!! I've cried more in these 8 months than I normally would in a whole year. You are not alone :)

Yeah it is like you are suddenly public property.

What is it with people asking if it was planned? That drives me nuts. Like, of course I'm going to discuss my sex life and life plans with you, relative stranger. And another is people saying, oh you don't really look pregnant, like it is a compliment. What's wrong with looking pregnant? I do look pregnant cos I am pregnant, see the bump! and that's fine with me.

Most days it wouldn't bother me but on the more hormonal days such things just seem so much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Yeah it is like you are suddenly public property.

What is it with people asking if it was planned? That drives me nuts. Like, of course I'm going to discuss my sex life and life plans with you, relative stranger. And another is people saying, oh you don't really look pregnant, like it is a compliment. What's wrong with looking pregnant? I do look pregnant cos I am pregnant, see the bump! and that's fine with me.

Most days it wouldn't bother me but on the more hormonal days such things just seem so much worse.

Yeah I never understood how people thought it was OK to ask the "Was it planned?" question. We all know where babies come from. If I don't chat with you about my sex life and contraception usually, this doesn't change because there's a baby in me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

I didn't get the 'was it planned?' but I did get 'already?' when the pregnancy was announced about 6 months after our wedding. That did upset me as I'd had a miscarriage a few weeks after we got married and should have been well on the way to having that baby when I announced this one. It's funny too, I didn't think 6 months was particularly soon to be announcing a pregnancy especially seeing as we are both in our 30's!!!

As for the being public property when you are pregnant, it's definitely true. People who normally wouldn't give you a hug thinking its fine to put two hands on your bump and give it a good feel, people commenting on how small you are/how big you are, how you'll definitely go over, how you don't want to be induced, how your life/body will never be the same again :) The list is endless! It used bother me in the beginning but in the end I used laugh it off and call people out on their nonsense in a 'joking' manner!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

whereby all the other mothers he'd spoken to all promised I'd go well over my due date.

Penny I'm at loggerheads with OH this week as well if it makes you feel better. We spent the whole weekend together, neither of us met up with or did anything with a single other person and I still felt totally lonely and neglected last night to the point where I cried myself to sleep! There was a big match on Sat night and he didn't even suggest going out to meet the lads, watched it at home with me, got me flowers on Saturday, went swimming with me yesterday and practiced yoga moves for labour with me last night....but it's still not good enough I was finding fault with him in my head all weekend (for example, even though he did the yoga moves and swimming - I had to suggest them then he went along so I feel like he's just humouring/tolerating me as opposed to having any enthusiasm or interest, also he didn't realise that he has his kids the weekend that I could possibly be in hospital just after giving birth (total opposite end of the country!) and he has made no contingency plans for same - I had to pull out the calendar and notice this and I had to get him to ring his parents to see if they're around that weekend (they're not, they're on hols) I'm just a grumpy bear I'd say there's no pleasing me at the moment! I keep thinking of issues and problems that are going to arise around the labour, afterwards, even projecting months ahead e.g if we visit his family in Dublin with the baby when his other kids are already there where are we all going to fit etc etc. I feel like he's not worrying about any of this stuff and it's all me. Ok rant over !!

Regarding people's comments, I just let them all wash over me. 'You're so big, really you're not due til 30 August?' 'you're so small' (I don't get that one very often haha!). As for going overdue, to be fair we probably will - most first time mothers do. So that's a fair comment. I'm expecting to go the full 10 days overdue and have to be helped along (either the gel or whatever) that's if my consultant even lets me get that far, she said she prefers not to let first time mother's go more than 7 or 8 days. If the water around the baby starts to decrease I'll be induced earlier than 10 days. I'm prepared for going 10 days overdue and anything else is a bonus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭llambert

Ah Lucuma you can't help but kill them anyway. I know we're all super sensitive at the moment but still they don't help themselves. I think most men would be like your OH so think they all end up in the dog house. Don't be worrying about the things in the future, these things always work out in the end.

I know you'd get sick of peoples comments. I'm getting the 'oh God you look like your ready to pop'. I just smile politely say no wks left and walk off. They probably think I'm having a hippo.

One if the good things about the twins is I know I'll never go past 38 wks. I've the opposite terrified of going early and been home alone.

But we all have these fears so just may get on with it :-)

Yeah I never understood how people thought it was OK to ask the "Was it planned?" question. We all know where babies come from. If I don't chat with you about my sex life and contraception usually, this doesn't change because there's a baby in me!

I was asked that a few times by people at work. The last person who asked it got the reply of" do you want to know what position I was in when we had sex and conceived the baby too?".

No one has asked was it planned since. :o

I was asked that a few times by people at work. The last person who asked it got the reply of" do you want to know what position I was in when we had sex and conceived the baby too?".

No one has asked was it planned since. :o

Are you serious people in work asked you that ?!?!? Oh my god.....how inappropriate! You were dead right to give a smart alecky answer to shut them up. Still shocked that so many people here have been asked that. I was asked that once, by a friend so it was ok I gave her a straight answer 'No we were trying for a full year actually and had been referred for IVF'. But for anyone other than a close family or friend to ask it is Sooooo inappropriate! :eek::eek:

Lucuma wrote: »
    Are you serious people in work asked you that ?!?!? Oh my god.....how inappropriate! You were dead right to give a smart alecky answer to shut them up. Still shocked that so many people here have been asked that. I was asked that once, by a friend so it was ok I gave her a straight answer 'No we were trying for a full year actually and had been referred for IVF'. But for anyone other than a close family or friend to ask it is Sooooo inappropriate! :eek::eek:

Yep, some people ask the most inappropriate questions. This particular woman has a brass neck though and would ask you anything anytime but can't deal with someone standing up to her.

Like you we'd been TTC for almost a full year and had been to the GP for bloods and were just starting down the road of investigations when I got pregnant. My family knew that we'd been trying for a while and had gotten bloods done but it was never discussed in any big way (unless I wanted to) and they were just so happy when we told them about the baby they didn't give a damn about the how they were just delighted to welcome another little one into the family.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Whispered wrote: »
    Thanks for such honest posts. When you're in hospital how do you get a chance to go to the toilet or shower? Do you just leave baby there?

I waited until my partner visited in the morning at 10 then went for my shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

My manager has just emailed to ask me and another colleague to do a 'spring clean' on the offices upstairs, essentially involving moving and lifting boxes, old files and filing cabinets. I just don't get how she thinks the most appropriate person to ask to do this is the 17 weeks pregnant asthmatic? I'm not one of these people who has sailed though pregnancy, I'm still finding it pretty tough physically. My back has been dodgy from the start and after a normal day's work I need a lie-down, let alone this! There are plenty of other people in the office who could do this. I'm just shocked at the thoughtlessness - am I being a princess here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Not at all Dolbert. I'd tell them you're not in a position to do it under medical advice because of bad back etc. They shouldn't have asked you!

Thanks Merkin, I've just replied to that effect, i.e. I'm happy to do filing/sorting but no lifting. I'm definitely more emotional about this stuff at the moment too, I've calmed down a bit now :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Dolbert wrote: »
    Thanks Merkin, I've just replied to that effect, i.e. I'm happy to do filing/sorting but no lifting. I'm definitely more emotional about this stuff at the moment too, I've calmed down a bit now :)

My supervisor assigned lifting and moving full archive boxes to me too in my third trimester. And it was a female supervisor too. I moved them literally file by file to an empty box and made sure it was no heavy lifting.

Have you had your Risk Assessment done yet? Maybe being assigned this task might have reminded you to request it from HR. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

The Risk Assessment request is a really good idea. I'm fairly disparaging normally when it comes to any HR Policy (yawn) but it's great when you're pregnant!:D I had mine done really early and it was a worthwhile exercise. Request it from HR and it means you won't be put in the position again. Sorry to hear you're having a tough time Dolbert, don't do anything that's going to compromise your mood.

I can't believe some clueless wench would ask such a thing in your 3rd trimester Neyite! I know being pregnant is not a debilitating illness but that takes the biscuit!!

• Advertisement

She's just come over to me 'Oh I didn't mean you had to do the heavy work, of course you don't have to do that!' I suspect I may have frightened her with the medical advice speak :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Well done for replying with that, definitely the right thing to do, it's not worth taking the risk.

There were a few incidents when I was pregnant where I took silly risks, like helping to lift an extremely large heavy table a considerable distance, because (in that case) I hadn't told anyone yet that I was pregnant, and in other cases I didn't want people to think I was using pregnancy as a cop-out - it was just a matter of pride.

Sooooo not worth it when I spent ages afterwards worrying about what damage I might have done to the baby! It was just silly and caused me so much needless worry. The baby is your priority, no point taking unnecessary risks, and you shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place when they knew you were pregnant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I have to say, I was the polar opposite! The minute I found out I was pregnant, I told my boss, and I informed him I would not be undertaking ANY physically demanding/high risk activities. He wasn't best pleased, but I gave not one jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

Hi Ladies.

Had a bit of a pregnancy meltdown last night, 29 weeks pregnant seriously uncomfortable already and feel like sh*t, look like sh*t, annoyed with the other half for not caring enough, worries about money (just the usual hormonal stuff!) we moved house last week and it's been a terrible strain on the two of us, then the dog got sick so was really worried something was seriously wrong so didn't sleep last night and had to take the day off today to bring him to the vet.

Feeling a bit better now but I just think the last few weeks have taken it's toll, I really should be happy and positive but it's very hard these days!!

Anyone else a bit down in the dumps

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Cameoette

pastry2010 wrote: »

You poor thing. Just to say around the 29-31 week mark I was seriously down in the dumps. I felt awful emotionally, physically, and was so uncomfortable. My mood has definitely been on the up the past week (am 33 weeks now). From asking around, it seems like when you begin the third trimester feeling blue is not uncommon. A house move is highly stressful as it is, add in a sick pet and pregnancy hormones on top of it: just a recipe for feeling crappy.

Oh that's a relief to hear, I think we all go around putting on a smile on and everyone I meet asks how I am and I tell them I'm great and feeling fine and one day it hits you like a ton of bricks and it's like all these negative thoughts enter your head and suddenly you're not so bubbly and chirpy anymore. Money is obviously a worry most of us have but I seem worried about everything these days whether I'll be a good mum whether my partner will make a good dad, will we have enough money to provide the best for him, will I go back to work, can I afford a crèche.....I think my head might melt!!

.I think my head might melt!!

It is a **** load of things to be thinking about all at once, and a lot on your plate. I'm just at 30 weeks now, and it is all getting very real. A bit of head melting is not unexpected!

It can be pretty annoying (or aggravating) when someone else doesn't appear to take it as seriously as you.

Get it off your chest with someone or just vent away here. Better out than in.

Hi Ladies.

Had a bit of a pregnancy meltdown last night, annoyed with the other half for not caring enough,

Yep !! I could have written the above post :(

I think my fella is getting the message after 2 days in the doghouse, he was voluntarily doing jobs around the house that I normally do this morning - unheard of !!

I'm 32 w + 4d and I have alot of things going around my head as well. As you say madeinamerica, it's a lot to take in 'a bit of head melting is to be expected' I like that one! I have similar worries as you pastry, thinking about childcare and going back to work, thinking about coping afterwards if I have to have a section. I don't have to worry about whether OH will be a good Dad though, one of the few and believe me there are few (!!) advantages of a man with baggage is that I've already seen him in action on that front so no worries there. However he's not scoring high on the supportive partner during preg stakes, but then again I think there's no pleasing me at the minute!

Another thing I've been thinking about and talking to OH about is approaches to discipline etc. I know for the first year it won't really come into it, but even whether or not to do controlled crying, what kind of parenting technique to adopt, I just hope we're on the same page! I really don't want to be dealing with a difficult baby and fighting with OH about which approach to adopt as well!

It seems to me all the above worries are beyond our control...I know that doesn't help us worrying about it but I guess it's just sitting back now and hoping that it will all rectify itself once the baby comes. I'm very lucky that I have my mam and my sister to spill my worries too and they have all said the same thing.....everyone worries when they are pregnant about big and little things but it all works out.

After I got over my little meltdown the other night I thought ok I really needed that for some clarity, I have been blessed with something so special, life will never be the same again when he is born but that's what life is all about, my OH is completely new to this as am I so maybe I need to cut him a little slack and just because he doesn't say the right thing at the right time doesn't mean he's going to be a terrible dad.

It's so easy to lose track of what's important when your hormones are all over the place ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm not dealing with all my feelings very well at the moment. I had left my previous job to go into business when I got pregnant and due to the nature of the work I had to back out. So I'm doing a business appraisal course now so when the time comes I'll be better prepared.

It feels like a monumental task though, have baby then start business. I'm out of the industry now too and due to being very tired and lazy I've not been keeping up with networking as I should be. It's a network centred type industry too. I know I shouldn't be worried about that now, all my focus should be on the baby but I've worked hard to get to the point I was at when I got pregnant and now I feel like I'll be pretty much starting from scratch.

I felt really supported by my husband at the start of the pregnancy, now I'm feeling utterly ignored. I don't know if it's paranoia/hormones or if it's actually happening. :(:(:(

Advertisement