Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pregnant Womans Moan Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Any suggestions as I don't think I can take 11 weeks of this? Also any suggestions for getting baby to turn? I know I have a few weeks yet but I'm stressed out by the situation :-(

Spend as much time as you can on the exercise ball and especially on all fours - this creates a hammock for your baby and gives them lots of room to move around. It's totally understandable to be stressed about it but the vast vast vast majority of babies will turn in their own good time when they're ready. Doing figures of eight and big circles on the ball will help open up your pelvis and give baby room too.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Jerrica wrote: »
    Spend as much time as you can on the exercise ball and especially on all fours - this creates a hammock for your baby and gives them lots of room to move around. It's totally understandable to be stressed about it but the vast vast vast majority of babies will turn in their own good time when they're ready. Doing figures of eight and big circles on the ball will help open up your pelvis and give baby room too.

Thanks for the advice Jerrica. When you say spend a lot of time on the ball do you mean just sitting on it too? I work from home on a laptop in the afternoons and I'm trying to figure out how to make my workstation comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Yup :) Just sitting upright on it gives you great posture and provides much more space in your belly than slouching, and gentle bouncing is said to help baby to turn the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

pastry2010 wrote: »
    It hasn't even been mentioned to me so I presume I won't be getting it done as I have no history of diabetes etc. Hospital app in Coombe tomorrow, wondering will I get a scan......feels like ages since my last proper one :)

Me neither. I had to get it done as over 40. I was told it had to happen at 28wk mark. Was done in the hospital. Results within a week so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

73trix wrote: »
    Anyone sore/ uncomfortable just at top of bump, where bump meets boobs? I can't figure out if it's from bending too much - which can be a bit stretchy or leaning in a bit close to my desk today or whether it's from the fit of coughing I had this morning (which was quite uncomfortable at the time) - attributed to pregnancy congestion - i think - self-diagnosed! Otherwise all appears as normal but I do have a hospital appt tomor....
    :eek:

Mentioned the above to midwife. She said it's normal to start feeling stretching pains at top of the bump or "funchas??" . Til now, all my stretchy pains were at bottom of bump....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Karmella

73trix wrote: »
    Mentioned the above to midwife. She said it's normal to start feeling stretching pains at top of the bump or "funchas??" . Til now, all my stretchy pains were at bottom of bump....

I get what I can best describe as a tightness across the top of bump. Its there all the time for the last 6 weeks I'd say so I don't really notice it as much now. Its usually worse when sitting at the desk alright though.

I think the word she used might have been Funda ? I've seen it in books/sites. Fundal height is the length of the bump or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭nuttykat

Feeling a little peeved, had my first appt semi private in coombe today, was seen by reg and when asked if consultant would see me I was told no. Was always under the impression that on first visit u were seen by them. Otherwise everything ok except didn't hear heart beat just saw it on screen..grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

29 weeks today and so uncomfortable I just want to cry. Baby is still breech and I have a pain on the right side under my ribs where the head is. Also can't get comfortable sitting or lying down as I feel like my insides are being crushed - I'm only 5'1 so not much room in here.

I can totally relate. I am 4'11 and am 29 weeks this weekend and everything aches. I can't get properly comfortable in bed anymore, lying on my side gets uncomfortable, then lying on my back makes me breathless. Sitting too long hurts me. Standing too long hurts me.

And to top it off I have to go back to hospital in two weeks, and then two weeks after that again because my baby is measuring small. So I can't stop thinking about that either!

And the tiredness .. Oh my God the tiredness. I feel like I am groggy all the time! :confused:

EDIT: My baby is also breech but I am not at all worried about this and there is still looooads of time for him/her to turn around. Don't stress! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Have you got a Dream Genii pillow Isolt? If not, I'd heartily recommend you get one. It supports you and bump as well as encouraging you to lie in an optimum position for baby so well worth buying! They stock them in Mothercare or on Amazon xx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Merkin wrote: »
    Have you got a Dream Genii pillow Isolt? If not, I'd heartily recommend you get one. It supports you and bump as well as encouraging you to lie in an optimum position for baby so well worth buying! They stock them in Mothercare or on Amazon xx

I got one in TKMaxx for waaaay cheaper than Mothercare, keep an eye out ;)

• Advertisement

Isolt wrote: »
    I can totally relate. I am 4'11 and am 29 weeks this weekend and everything aches. I can't get properly comfortable in bed anymore, lying on my side gets uncomfortable, then lying on my back makes me breathless. Sitting too long hurts me. Standing too long hurts me.

And to top it off I have to go back to hospital in two weeks, and then two weeks after that again because my baby is measuring small. So I can't stop thinking about that either!

And the tiredness .. Oh my God the tiredness. I feel like I am groggy all the time! :confused:

EDIT: My baby is also breech but I am not at all worried about this and there is still looooads of time for him/her to turn around. Don't stress! :)

Isolt we are like the same person lol. My baby is measuring small too so I'm booked in for an extra scan at 32 weeks. Maybe it's a small person thing ha! I've had such an easy pregnancy so far that now small issues are happening it's starting to worry me but for the most part I'm staying positive. Like you said we have loads of time.

Jerrica thanks again for the advice, I must start bouncing away :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 NeedHelpUrgent

Assault on a 9 months pregnant woman at her home.
    Help and advice needed on Legal discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Hope you got looked after.

I walked ten km today. This would have been a very regular occurance before I got pregnant and I never had a problem. Holy hell I'm sore now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

One of our cats ran away on Friday while we had builders here and still hasn't come home. The hubby and I took turns staying up at night to keep an eye if he'd try to come home, and have walked the town to put up posters and look for him. I've rang the vets and put up anywhere online I can think of.

He's a mostly indoor cat and he's quite nervous, so I can't understand why he hasn't come home yet unless something has happened to him. I've been trying to stay positive but can't help but break down when I think that he won't be around when our son arrives. I know that there are people on this thread who have more serious problems, but I feel I am missing part of my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

One of our cats ran away on Friday while we had builders here and still hasn't come home. The hubby and I took turns staying up at night to keep an eye if he'd try to come home, and have walked the town to put up posters and look for him. I've rang the vets and put up anywhere online I can think of.

He's a mostly indoor cat and he's quite nervous, so I can't understand why he hasn't come home yet unless something has happened to him. I've been trying to stay positive but can't help but break down when I think that he won't be around when our son arrives. I know that there are people on this thread who have more serious problems, but I feel I am missing part of my family.

One of my pet rats passed away the night before last, so I can totally relate. We have a dog here as well, he's ten this year and tbh I think I'd actually end up needing counselling if anything happened to him!!! :(
    Have you asked all of the neighbours to open their sheds/garages and make a bit of a clatter? Years ago our cat went missing under exactly the same circumstances and snook into an open garden shed which was locked behind her!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    One of my pet rats passed away the night before last, so I can totally relate. We have a dog here as well, he's ten this year and tbh I think I'd actually end up needing counselling if anything happened to him!!! :(
    Have you asked all of the neighbours to open their sheds/garages and make a bit of a clatter? Years ago our cat went missing under exactly the same circumstances and snook into an open garden shed which was locked behind her!

I'm so sorry for your loss shashabear, it's never easy but especially not when you are pregnant. May your little guy RIP.
    I've asked neighbours to keep an eye out but never thought about the sheds, I'll ask them to try today.

I'm so sorry for your loss shashabear, it's never easy but especially not when you are pregnant. May your little guy RIP.
    I've asked neighbours to keep an eye out but never thought about the sheds, I'll ask them to try today.

We didn't think either - lady three doors down from us had like a greenhouse and shed, but she hadn't been out with the bad weather at the time - only for her hubbie went out to get a watering can she could have been in there forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cosycottager

Hi ladies, I really need to rant and get this off my chest! I feel like total s**t!!! My pregnancy is totally unexpected, (although I have always wanted children!). I am 13 weeks and so sick. I feel totally uncomfortable in my own skin and will scream at the next person who says "what's for you wont pass you by" or "everything will work out". Of course everything will work out, it has to!! I had gotten engaged over the Christmas period, and we had booked our wedding for the time when the baby is due, so now that has to be cancelled. That is really upsetting to me as everyone keeps talking bout the wedding.

I am a teacher, with no permanent work, and in my years of teaching have never had permanent work. That means no pay whatsoever when I am not in school, therefore I have no savings. I had a few interviews for jobs this summer but am feeling so bad in myself that I couldn't put my all into them and didn't get them. Come August when jobs are advertised again, I will be showing and so will find it difficult to get work. I hate not having my own independence and hate the thoughts of no job- I always find the summer hols too long let alone for the foreseeable future!

My partner is trying his utmost to be so supportive but he cracks from time to time (to be honest, if the tables were turned, I'd have moved out by now if it was him doing all the weeping and moaning!!). I know he is really at the end of his tether with it all but I really feel like I cant help it. Also, I resent the fact that is life is completely unaffected by this pregnancy- the only difference for him is that there hasn't been a dinner cooked in the house in over 2 months as I cant bear the smell! I feel however that my life has been totally turned upside down, simple things like cleaning down the kitchen work surface have to be thought about as at any given stage a dishcloth or cleaning spray could have me running to the bathroom. Other members of his family who have babies are all 'earth mothers' and didn't suffer morning sickness so it appears that I am just being dramatic, and his family and my own have even suggested that if I was out working every day I wouldn't have time to think about being sick- I find myself saying the same thing now lately!!

Apologies for the essay but this is somewhere I feel I can vent without being judged or getting a pitiful look from family and friends! I feel so isolated. Does anyone else feel the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Someone said to me recently (dunno if it's a proper saying or what) if you waited for the right time to have a baby you would never have one at all.
    As much as we love everything to be perfect for our babies coming in to the world,life is never that easy!
    I can completely understand where you are coming from, my pregnancy was unplanned to the extent me and my oh have split up and myself and my son are back living with My mam!
    The amount of hormones running through your body will always have you fretting about the littlest of things and I think as women we do that anyway.
    Have a chat with you oh about the resentment you don't want it to become a bigger issue between you guys.
    Could you get help from the social welfare until after the baby is born?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cosycottager

I know Lashes and unfortunately within my own family I see infertility issues and that is really hard. I am sorry to hear you and your OH half spilt, a break up at any time is difficult! I think if I wasn't so sick I wouldn't feel so bad emotionally.

That's the thing, I have a 'contract' with my school for an hour every week over the summer, which pays me €15 each week and because of this I am supposedly not entitled to draw my stamps- I am trying my best to get that decision overturned so also have that to try deal with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Cosycottager, I can imagine how you are feeling. I am 13 weeks pregnant and have hyperemesis. It's really tough physically and emotionally on me and this was a planned pregnancy. I actually said to my husband a couple of weeks ago that I can imagine how difficult it would be coping with this and an unplanned pregnancy so I can empathise with you. I've been off work for 5 weeks so far and it's so lonely, isolating and boring. Everyone else is working and even if they aren't, I am usually so sick that I find it hard to meet anyone. I have no real advice for you but just letting you know I completely understand how you feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

You poor thing - if it's any consolation, my sisters indoor cat got out once and went on a merry adventure for 4 nights then came home. They have a way of looking after themselves. Can you leave a window open for him to slip back in, if he's nervous and now spooked having spent time out alone, he might prefer to be able to let himself in.
    ShaShaBear wrote: »

I'm sorry :( was it unexpected? I can totally relate on the idea of needing counselling over a dog, I nearly lost one of my boys over the weekend and I've spent the whole time in bed crying, I couldn't eat. I was in bits.
    I feel so isolated. Does anyone else feel the same?

Yes, I don't know what else to say but yes :o as you said yourself, things will work out because they have to. That doesn't mean you have to be happy about it right now. We all have a plan for our lives and sometimes when something gets in the way of that plan it can be a shock. Even if it's something like pregnancy, the shock can make your feelings spiral out of control. One thing I found hard was, because I'm married a few years, everyone saw my pregnancy as the natural progression of things. As such nobody seems to understand how hard I found it to accept, this added to my feelings of isolation. Babies were never in our plans, we had decided to remain child-free. I'm 18 weeks now and have tweaked my life plans, things wont happen when I had planned for them to happen, but I can continue to work towards them. Money is an issue here too, so I totally understand your worries there, however it would be an issue either way, and again we will manage because we have to. Nothing anybody says will make you feel better right now, but just know you're not alone in how you feel and please please don't feel like you "should" be happy. You feel how you feel and that's fine.

Whispered wrote: »

I'm sorry :( was it unexpected? I can totally relate on the idea of needing counselling over a dog, I nearly lost one of my boys over the weekend and I've spent the whole time in bed crying, I couldn't eat. I was in bits.

Yes and no, three years is a mad old age for a rattie, so we knew it was coming, but she wasn't sick so at the same time it was like with all pets and they are going to live forever until they dont :o
    Pets are an incredible thing, my dog annoys the life out of me on a daily basis, but my heart was in my chest the other night when I called him and he didn't get up off the floor. Worst 32 seconds of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

Oh don't even go there with pets my dog drives me up the walls 90 % of the time and I might threaten to re home her on a daily basis but my god if anything happened her I would loose my life, xx

Cosycottager I totally understand. I never ever planned to have children and when I first got pregnant I found it so hard to deal with it. I tried to ignore it and every time my hubby got excited I cut him down - he'd point out a cute kid on the street and say that will be us soon and I'd come out with such bitchy comments. I probably upset everyone around me who just couldn't understand my attitude. However if it's any consolation at my 20 wk scan when I sort of found out the sex (a guess, awkward positioning) it was like a light switch went on - either I can be miserable for the rest of my pregnancy or I can accept things and get on with it. My brain chose the latter. It's still hard but I'm a lot more accepting even though I'm terrified. If anything happened now I'd be devastated as I'm getting very attached despite myself ;-)

I have a job but they don't pay maternity leave so money will be a struggle. I had also planned to start my own business but that is in the back burner. But I will make sure it happens - my life is changing but my plans don't have to end. And I used to teach too so grinds are always an option.

Right now it's hard and it's horrible and you probably hate everyone and everything. But it will get easier, your brain just needs to come to terms with everything first and that doesn't happen overnight. We're not all naturally 'earth mothers' and don't all want to be, but we'll manage.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭pastry2010

[/QUOTE]Right now it's hard and it's horrible and you probably hate everyone and everything. But it will get easier, your brain just needs to come to terms with everything first and that doesn't happen overnight. We're not all naturally 'earth mothers' and don't all want to be, but we'll manage.[/QUOTE]

Very true, any baby that is unplanned is a shock to the system to say the least, it takes time and here I am 30 weeks yesterday and it still hasn't really sunk in and although I am happy that I am bringing a little person into the world and I can't wait to meet him....a selfish part of me is so scared of how my life will change and how I'll have no social life, childbirth, how I'll lose touch with some of my friends, money is going to be such an issue, will I go back to work, can I afford not to go back to work and so on. but as you say something clicks and all of a sudden all you can say is 'we'll manage' because you just don't know how it's all going to pan out. I know I'll try my best and that's all you can do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

nuttykat wrote: »
    Feeling a little peeved, had my first appt semi private in coombe today, was seen by reg and when asked if consultant would see me I was told no. Was always under the impression that on first visit u were seen by them. Otherwise everything ok except didn't hear heart beat just saw it on screen..grrr!

I'm semi private in the Coombe too and had my first appointment in March - that seems like forever ago now. I'm 28 weeks gone now (27+6) and actually have another appointment at the Coombe today.
    When I had my first appointment and had the scan and all the other stuff I was a little disappointed that there was no heartbeat to be heard. I asked the sonographer and she said that you never heard it at the 12 week scan as its a little dangerous to the foetus at that stage of development. When they see it beating away on the screen they're happy with that.
    I didn't hear the heartbeat until I had an appointment with my GP and the nurse in the clinic used the Doppler. It was May at that stage I think. It was a lovely moment though.

Also I didn't see the consultant at my first consultant appointment either. The lady I was supposed to have as my consultant went into labour early and so I saw the Reg instead. I was happy enough with that - given that labour can start anytime for any of us it was hardly a planned decision.
    I've had another appointment at the consultant clinic between then and today and saw the Reg the last time too.
    The way I look at it is that my pregnancy is text book so far, no issues or concerns at all and if the delivery continues like this then I won't see anyone other than a Midwife anyhow. By going semi private it was always going to be either the Reg or Consultant and so I am getting the treatment I'm paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

28 wees (27+6) and I am exhausted. I really feel like I've hit the heavy lifting part of the pregnancy now. :(
    After a rough first 14 weeks I was flying - sleeping great, loads of energy, no nausea and all that stuff but the last 10 days to 2 weeks has been very difficult.
    I've got a definite bump now (which I love) and feel the baby move about quite a lot which I also love but the growth has led to me sleeing very very poorly - the last 2 nights are the first time I've actually slept almost right through and had very disturbed broken nights prior to that.
    Turning over was uncomfortable and then came the crushed lungs sensation, the heart burn, leg cramps, accordian type rib compression, back ache, tiredness and BH on top of it all. :eek: All of this came at the same time right out of no where. I was quite shocked. I knew the 3rd trimester could be a challange but I didn't think everything arrived on the first day of it.:D
    My biggest moan though is the feeling in my groin on either side. It feels almost as though I've had my legs akimbo for ages or like I've been horse riding and when I walk or move my legs close together it hurts like hell.
    Anyhow, 10 weeks left to work (9 if I forget about this week we've just started) and while I am freaking out a bit about some things I can't wait to actually have this little baby in my arms and see what a wonderful little thing myself and my husband have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Whispered wrote: »
    You poor thing - if it's any consolation, my sisters indoor cat got out once and went on a merry adventure for 4 nights then came home. They have a way of looking after themselves. Can you leave a window open for him to slip back in, if he's nervous and now spooked having spent time out alone, he might prefer to be able to let himself in.

This! Honestly I sobbed for days over this cat, he was still very young and had never been outside and I was convinced he was dead. By the 4th night I couldn't even imagine how he could possibly still be alive. I couldn't sleep and went out in the night time calling for him and I heard him meowing! Over he runs to me, hungry but not a bother on him! :) I hope your cat turns up soon, they are brats!
    I feel so isolated. Does anyone else feel the same?

I think everyone will reply and say yes. Isolation is a big part of pregnancy and nobody ever tells you. I found out I was pregnant with this baby only 7 weeks after losing our first baby and I was mentally all over the place. I don't think I really started to plan for the baby or anything until a few weeks ago. Honestly, it must have been about 22-24 weeks before the idea of buying the buggy or some babygros actually became a priority. :o
    Even the way pregnancy affects relationships is hard. I have never argued or snapped at my partner the way I do now. He thinks because I'm pregnant I can't do anything so will make plans with his friends while I'm left at home to essentially grow the baby, and nothing more!
    He has some visa issues too (he's a non-national and a student) so financially we aren't exactly flying it.
    You've got the horrible nausea on top of it all so of course you're feeling fed up. You could ask your doc about medication for the nausea? A few of my pregnant friends are still taking it now, even in the third trimester and it's helped them maintain a healthy weight and not get run down.
    It might not feel like much comfort now but what what you're feeling is very common and very normal! There's loads about pregnancy people never tell you (so I keep discovering!)

Penny Dreadful - I'm so glad I'm not alone with those complaints. It's almost as though the day I started the third trimester all the symptoms revved up a gear! The heartburn is insane, I have a scratchy voice from it some days. I also find turning over in bed painful, my bump feels all pulled and heavy. My skin is sore from stretching and I could easily take 2-3 naps a day if work allowed it. All going well (and providing work permits my annual leave request) I should be finishing up in 6 weeks! Cannot freakin' wait!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

28 wees (27+6) and I am exhausted. I really feel like I've hit the heavy lifting part of the pregnancy now. :(
    After a rough first 14 weeks I was flying - sleeping great, loads of energy, no nausea and all that stuff but the last 10 days to 2 weeks has been very difficult.
    I've got a definite bump now (which I love) and feel the baby move about quite a lot which I also love but the growth has led to me sleeing very very poorly - the last 2 nights are the first time I've actually slept almost right through and had very disturbed broken nights prior to that.
    Turning over was uncomfortable and then came the crushed lungs sensation, the heart burn, leg cramps, accordian type rib compression, back ache, tiredness and BH on top of it all. :eek: All of this came at the same time right out of no where. I was quite shocked. I knew the 3rd trimester could be a challange but I didn't think everything arrived on the first day of it.:D
    My biggest moan though is the feeling in my groin on either side. It feels almost as though I've had my legs akimbo for ages or like I've been horse riding and when I walk or move my legs close together it hurts like hell.
    Anyhow, 10 weeks left to work (9 if I forget about this week we've just started) and while I am freaking out a bit about some things I can't wait to actually have this little baby in my arms and see what a wonderful little thing myself and my husband have made.

You poor thing, I'm 22+4 and already using pillows to get comfy. I got the leg support on in Lidl and then its prop prop prop.. different most nights depending where I most need it. I was a lot thinner this time (4st lighter) than my other 4 pregnancies and I notice the difference in bending down and turning over in bed. The only saving grace is I'm strong from the weights in the gym.
    All my other babies were small. 5lb8, 6lb8, 7lb10 and 6lb10. My partners were all 9lb+ with one over 10llb :eek::eek: so I'm not sure if its a bigger baby or a smaller mammy thats causing the problem :D

Can you get a day or 2 off work maybe close to the weekend to get a bit of respite, maybe try a pillow between you knees at night, or one or 2 under your thighs, it can take some pressure off your lower back by pressing it more into the mattress and giving more support, more pillows behind you keeping you more upright will help with the heartburn. I recently got a band for €14.99 for when I'm in the gym, it straps round the bottom of my tummy where the ligaments pull a lot and give me great support when I'm walking. Its just elastic and is adjustable, it may give you some pelvic support, I'd also ask your gp about getting some physio..
    www.emma-jane.com
    click on the support belt icon and you can watch the fitting video
    Swimming is great for relaxing and taking the weight and pressure off your lower body.. you don't have to swim, you can just float for an hour :) bliss in the very late stages. Also for a bit of relaxing at home if you get some epsom salts.. you can buy the 500g box for about €3 or €4 (or order a 4kg for about €13)and use the whole lot it gives you a great buoyancy in the bath and will ease sore muscles. Just don't drink the water :D
    I've had 4 and it just some things I picked up or was told about, you never know, it might help ;)

Advertisement