Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gay Cake Controversy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Now I know which bakery to avoid in that neck of the woods. WTF is a bakery run on Christian values anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Didn't something near identical happen in the U.S.?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

What a load of sh!te
    A LGBT activist targetted a christian bakery.
    It's a CAKE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Has the world gone mad?

Yes, but that's not a recent development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If they were so against it why didn't they just make it but hide a lump of poo in the middle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

Cake and Sodomy FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

What a pavlova about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Tell me OP would you be outraged if the bakery refused to make a cake for a black family?

If not, what's the difference?

floggg wrote: »
    Tell me OP would you be outraged if the bakery refused to make a cake for a black family?

Or a civil wedding rather than a church wedding cake. Or a naming ceremony instead of a christening. I remember Jesus saying something about cake makers needing to discriminate against minority groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

What about a cake with a big black willy on it? Could they refuse then ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd be annoyed if a black bakery owner couldn't refuse custom to white harassers. Or the latest irish branch of the kkk :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Maybe it was Bert they objected to rather than the message.

He has serious form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Funny that this cake company can be open to persecution when it takes a stance on religious grounds, yet other religious workers can refuse to sell alcohol or meat products based on their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

You would think they would of had the brains to use copyright infringement to cover themselves for refusing to make it. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

A black family is not a political campaign.

A gay person or family is not a political campaign.

A campaign poster/cake for gay marriage is a political campaign.

A business should have the right to decline business it doesn't want, in particular for political campaigns it doesn't wish to be involved in.

A black family is not a political campaign.

A gay person or family is not a political campaign.

A campaign poster/cake for gay marriage is a political campaign.

A business should have the right to decline business it doesn't want, in particular for political campaigns it doesn't wish to be involved in.

What would Jesus the cake maker do? Are civil rights just political campaigns now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Perhaps the baker was vary of Sesame Street's copyright?

lazygal wrote: »
    What would Jesus the cake maker do? Are civil rights just political campaigns now?

If the cake was ordered by an activist for a campaign what else is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well what annoys me is that this feels like a plot by those who ordered the cake. I'm not religious (having a brain in my head) but if I were and I was in business and I was asked to create something which advocated something I was opposed to on faith grounds I'd want the freedom under law not to fulfil the order. Not be compelled by law to go against my beliefs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A Northern Ireland bakery was asked to create a cake with a pro-gay marriage message featuring Bert and Ernie (who as far as I know are not gay!) the bakery refused as it went against the religious views of the owner, the people who ordered the cake reported the bakery to the Equality Commission who have informed the bakers that they are now open to prosecution.
    You keep thinking that about Bert and Ernie, they just want a quiet life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Now I know which bakery to avoid in that neck of the woods. WTF is a bakery run on Christian values anyway?

Jesus broke bread at his last supper - that's good enough for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Jesus actually has very little bearing on this debate. The business people have a right to decline to be involved in this groups political campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Right in this instance I'd have to say that the bakery were right to refuse to bake the cake.

Forgive the slight strawmanning but lets imagine a Sinn Fein activist wanted to get a cake made that had 'Saor Eire Anois' written across it in a Unionist-run bakery, or take Bruce Springsteen refusing to have his music played at the GOP convention in the states. If a business has no wish to be associated with a political campaign then they should be free to refuse business that would associate them with it.

It's not homophobic or discriminatory to not wish to be a part of a pro SSM campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Don't see the issue here. The owners of the bakery have their religious beliefs. They are entitled to religious expression. I don't think it's anyone's business. If people don't like it just shop somewhere else.

This does not strike me as intolerance on behalf of the bakery but rather intolerance on behalf of the customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Just go to another bakery. No business HAS to accept a job they don't want. Was there no other bakeries around. Would you ask a Jewish grocer to stock pork pies for you and then have a ninny fit if they refused?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

In fairness, that's not what happened here.

They didn't say they wouldn't make cakes for gay people, in other words, gay people are not banned from their shops.

They just don't want to make cakes which have a supporting gay marriage message written on them.

I don't know what to think about all this. I don't care if someone is gay or not, and I don't see why they can't get married, but should businesses be allowed to refuse custom based on religious beliefs? For example, should a muslim restaurant be forced to serve non-halal meat?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I suppose its hard to blame the bakery when you consider that there is no such thing as a gay clergyman !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Maybe it was Bert they objected to rather than the message.

He has serious form.

holy ****!

no way would i make a cake to link me to that crowd!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Ironically the gay person who ordered the cake is probably delighted now.

Advertisement