Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftovers [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 17-09-2013 7:54pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Im cautiously optimistic about this

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38777
    Star Trek screenwriter and fanboy punching bag du jour (some jours, at any rate), Damon Lindelof is either one of Hollywood's most prolific and successful screenwriters or a man who refuses to rest on his lack of laurels, depending on what side of the enraged-blogger divide you sit. HBO is firmly in the former camp, commissioning his Peter Berg-directed pilot for The Leftovers into a ten-part miniseries.

The Leftovers is Lindelof's first TV project since Lost, a co-creation with Election and Little Children writer Tom Perrotta adapted from his novel of the same name. It's set in a post-apocalyptic world, albeit ahttp://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/editor/separator.gif rather unusual one in which a Rapture, biblical or otherwise, has removed the 'wheat' and left the chaff behind to fend for themselves.

The setting is the suburban community of Mapleton. There, a hundred townsfolk have suddenly disappeared after the mysterious happening. Among those left behind are a police chief (Justin Theroux), his wife (Amy Brenneman), a local cult leader (Ann Dowd), one of the women it's zeroing in on (Liv Tyler), and the town's tabloid editor (Christopher Eccleston).

No word on airing date in the US as yet. We do know that Lindelof will be showrunning and exec-producing along with Perrotta, Berg, Sarah Aubrey, Ron Yerxa and Albert Berger.

prometheus-dl2__span(1).jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is to air in the summer no exact date yet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,221 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Hack of the highest/lowest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

High concept = low expectations from me. The man can't do 'third act', in fact he's usually creatively spent by the end of the first act. I fully expect to find myself punching the TV after waiting seven years to find out that the entire show was Bobby Ewing's dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

He has said at the TCA that the "why" of why
    180 million people get swept off the Earth in a 'Rapture' type event
    wont be explained or explored....Lost and Flash Forward were mentioned to him.

Its about what happens to the lives of those left behind, how they process it all etc.

I doubt there will be any Sci-Fi in this, more theology and why we are here etc.

Pass

conorhal wrote: »
    High concept = low expectations from me. The man can't do 'third act', in fact he's usually creatively spent by the end of the first act. I fully expect to find myself punching the TV after waiting seven years to find out that the entire show was Bobby Ewing's dream.

Or they were dead all along.......:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

^ so wait....they took all the intelligent, smart, skilled people.....and left behind the white trash and scumbags?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

just seen he has writing credits for Prometheus and world war z im definitely out

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    It's set in a post-apocalyptic world, albeit rather unusual one in which a Rapture, biblical or otherwise, has removed the 'wheat' and left the chav behind to fend for themselves.

FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

jenjenten wrote: »
    ^ so wait....they took all the intelligent, smart, skilled people.....and left behind the white trash and scumbags?

Sooooo... it's a US remake of Tallaghtfornia then? :P

conorhal wrote: »
    Sooooo... it's a US remake of Tallaghtfornia then? :P

Or Under The Dome......;)

• Advertisement

Starts on Sunday June 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I really hope this show's actual title is "Damon Lindelof's Leftovers".

Is it about the satisfying answers that are always left out of his scripts. I imagine a 20 minute sitcom with backroom, writers room mishaps with hilaaaarious/sexy results.

"Oh shucks Ridley, we built the sets off the first draft and not the final script"

Scott :"DAMONNNN!!!"

Abrams: "I don't Damon I can't help you out there, the thing is nobody really wants you here on Episode VII, especially not Kathleen Kennedy"

"Oh c'mon JJ, its Kasdan isn't it, why don't you two just shack up already?? SLAMS PHONE DOWN"

"Oh Damooooon. What, oh what will we do with you?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Thrill wrote: »
    The Leftovers teaser trailer (HBO)

:cool:

It will now premiere on Sunday, June 29 instead of June 15 as originally announced

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

I'll give it a go but it has the potential to be absolute bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

the-leftovers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Found this because I was curious what Liv Tyler was up to these days. As well as Theroux, it also features Amy Brenneman (NYPD Blue, Judging Amy, Private Practice) and Christopher Eccleston (Shallow Grave, Doctor Who), and Scott Glenn and Janel Moloney pop up too. It premieres tomorrow, and there's at least one review so far - here:
    It remains to be seen whether HBO's new The Leftovers will be one of those Great Shows. Having only seen the premiere, I love most of it, and I'm looking forward to seeing more. What does immediately stand out is that it markedly defines itself against a lot of the other stuff out there. It's unrelentingly bleak, which is nothing new, but its specific brand of bleakness is really unrelenting at the same time as being more intimate and small-scale than, say, the humanity-is-the-real-source-of-all-evil brutality of Game of Thrones.
    They say that religion is a major theme this time, compared to others shows in which it might be there as part of the landscape:
    Some political figure is arguing with the representative of a scientific commission, which studied the matter and concluded with a resounding "I don't know." This politician is convinced it must be the work of God, to which the scientist replies, "I'm fairly certain, sir, that God sat this one out."

The quote says a lot about the nature of The Leftovers so far. It has an inherently mystical and religiously derived catalyst, but the show itself never becomes supernatural. Religion is a major topic, with its cults and debates on scripture, but the show is not itself religious. At least for the time being, it seems that perennially apologetic showrunner Damon Lindelof wants to forget the fallout of Lost and go with a story that remains more grounded. Where other shows would explore what happened to those who disappeared—or might incorporate a host of otherworldly goings-on in the wake of an apocalyptic event—The Leftovers is instead committed to depicting the personal drama of normal people in the wake of the unexplainable.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mafaa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Brand new HBO show starts tonight.

The Leftovers takes place in the wake of a global "Rapture" and centers on the people who were not taken but were left behind in a suburban community.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Early reviews say it's very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

The 2-3 reviews I just glanced at look pretty good. Going to give this a whirl later

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Just finished with episode 1 there.

Very very strong stuff. I was always critical of shows like The Event or Flash Forward because they felt like they were taking an interesting idea and then doing a completely half-assed job of making it. Well they are definitely whole-assing it for The Leftovers.

The writing and acting are both quality, and the production values seem very high. It's not necessarily a budget thing, there aren't any hugely expensive looking set pieces, it just oozes quality from every angle though. I'm going to guess a lot of that is down to good directing.

The world as it's portrayed feels very believable, especially for a "high concept" type show, and I was really drawn into it. And the plot and various mysterious seem genuinely mysterious and thought provoking.

It may not be for everyone, it's very very bleak, and I'd expect many to not like it just for that alone. I'm assuming the first episode was particularly bleak to set the tone and it might lighten up a bit as it goes on, even a little dark humour would be a welcome addition.

If it keeps the quality up though then HBO are on to another big winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I loved this.. as stevenmu said, it's definitely very bleak.. but it's completely and utterly enthralling TV!

HBO are definitely onto another winner here IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just finished the first episode and it was actually one where I really wanted to see where it was going.

Think it was smart to do a 3 year jump instead of taking place immediately after the disappearance which would have been all panic and everything. This way it's pretty much past all that and dealing with fallout.

When I initially heard about this I pictured a show like Revolution where society had collapsed after millions disappeared but seeing it and hearing only 2% of people disappeared, everything's continuing as normal. More or less. Different take.

Wonder where the daughter was. With the Teen Wolf twins the whole night? And why would the deer be breaking into the sheriff's house?
    Really curious about this smoking cult. Like why did Liv Tyler decide to join them? And who's this Wayne guy?

Directed by Peter Berg from Friday Night Lights. And was funny seeing Buddy Garrity in a different role. Though not that different.

Overall, I thought it was a great pilot and I'll definitely keep watching.

Anyone else think it didn't feel/look like a HBO show? Not that it's a bad thing but if not for a couple bits, it could be a NBC series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Anyone know if this will be on Sky Atlantic anytime soon?

EDIT : Just spotted that it will be on in the autumn sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I really enjoyed the first episode, bleak is an understatement though and i can't wait to see where it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

ttaztQw.png

goodnight sweet prince.

Advertisement