Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leftovers [HBO] [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like HBO are in for the long haul.... renewed for a 2nd season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I watched all seven eps online over the past week. Really enjoying it, but I'm very aware that the mystery may never be solved, since they obviously want the series to continue long-term - just like Lost which I never watched but the thoughts of it frustrated the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

whirlpool wrote: »
    I watched all seven eps online over the past week. Really enjoying it, but I'm very aware that the mystery may never be solved, since they obviously want the series to continue long-term - just like Lost which I never watched but the thoughts of it frustrated the hell out of me.

I'm trying not to get sucked in to the idea of "one big mystery" (the rapture itself)
    It's as if time has stopped for everyone left behind, with a big sense of hopelessness.
    Of course, I'm curious as hell to see what the endgame of people like Wayne and the Guilty Remnants is.
    The seventh episode was definitely a game-changer though. With Garvery's dad clearly being in-the-know of a bigger story, and in doing so, reassuring Garvey that he's not insane, just different.

Looking forward to watching the new episode tonight.
    I'm fully expecting a second rapture by the end of the season though, don't know why, it just seems like something that would be written in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I really like this guys episode reviews...
    He gives a little background on the religious symbols. This articles discusses the two babies fathered by holy Wayne.
    http://www.vox.com/2014/8/11/5990993/the-leftovers-episode-7-the-writers-really-like-john-3-16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Brilliant episode! The show really has come on a lot in the last few episodes.

We were given answers for many questions regarding Kevin's state of mind. We also know the purpose of the Guilty Remnant, and a very big suggestion as to what they intend to do in the last two episodes. The final scene in the cabin was excellent. If Gladys' murder was done by Patti and a few of the G.R., I wonder if Laurie was a part of it, and that might explain why she took it so hard. Furthermore, Laurie's transition to leader seems quite normative, and she appears quite accepting of the change, but I can't help thinking she knew what was going to happen to Patti.

As far we know, family members aren't in the same G.R. chapter. So, I wonder if Gill's presence will cause problems. After all, no family, no connections, is their motto.

Next week's promo:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Goes from strength to strength. Brilliant episode with the scenes at the cabin outstanding

That episode wasn't remotely intense!!!
    The cabin exchange really was gripping. I've seen that situation played out in other shows before, but that was executed perfectly.
    I'm annoyed I caught up with this show, would have preferred avoiding the wait between episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

A no not gill I was hoping it was Nora that was at the door asking if she could stay with the smoking bandits.
    Kevin is going to loose it when he see's.
    Cabin scene was unreal very well done brillent acting.
    One thing all the bodies in the van then in the church where did come from?
    Are they other members of the smoking bandits that gave there life for there cause?
    I'd sy Kevin did ride gills friend that was in the house I no I would have :-)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

naughto wrote: »
    A no not gill I was hoping it was Nora that was at the door asking if she could stay with the smoking bandits.
    Kevin is going to loose it when he see's.
    Cabin scene was unreal very well done brillent acting.
    One thing all the bodies in the van then in the church where did come from?
    Are they other members of the smoking bandits that gave there life for there cause?
    I'd sy Kevin did ride gills friend that was in the house I no I would have :-)

I'd say the bodies are the realistic models that yer man makes that appeared on the road when the van crashed. They're not real, just very impressive fakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The acting is great and I really enjoy the parts of the storyline of people dealing with their loss and loss of faith but the overall storyline reminds me worryingly of the Lost storyline- teasing us with questions all the time. I really enjoyed the interaction of the sheriffs daughter with the new girlfriend and the sheriff realising he's losing time, but the cult storyline bugs the hell out of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

It's an interesting story but the whole concept smells like "Lost". Unless some serious questions are answered before the season wrap up, i will be bowing out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

zarquon wrote: »
    It's an interesting story but the whole concept smells like "Lost". Unless some serious questions are answered before the season wrap up, i will be bowing out
    They've already warned us not to come into this show expecting answers. We're unlikely to get any. The mystery drives these characters and motivates them to do what we are seeing happen. We dont need to know how they disappeared. Along the way there might be some meat put on the bones as to why they disappeared but for me the show is about what is happening right now. That's much more entertaining than trying to decipher the how and the why.

In fact I've thought very little as to what happened that to make them disappear. Seem to have gotten caught up in the stories they are trying to tell about the people who survived.

I loved Lost but they probably got caught up too much in trying to put some flesh on the bones of the mythology and trying to weave it into the narrative which took away from it all. By the end of it they couldn't answer the questions they posed throughout to the extent that the fans wanted. They're steering clear of that, so it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

They sure do like to use a bit of Max Richter in this show

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Going to wait till this season is finished (at the very minimum) before I watch my second episode.

Damon "Lost" Lindelof could still make a balls of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just checked Wikipedia and looks like there's a 2 week gap between episode 9 and the finale.

So those weren't his shirts from the laundry. Wonder what he's been doing. Seems like Patti was also operating off messages from the voices when she says she's like Kevin.

And when I saw the unloading of the van I finally put 2 and 2 and 2 together and all I could think was those b*st*rds! Though it does make sense now that Patti explained what their purpose is
    Using the photos to order the replicas of the vanished and dressing them in those clothes laid out. I assume the small one is the baby that we saw at the beginning of the first episode. Dunno what they'll do with the bodies though

Haven't watched the promo for next week but this has been a real surprise of a series for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Another top ep this week.
    Watch this show!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

ste wrote: »
    Another top ep this week.
    Watch this show!!

Yeah, I quite enjoyed this week's episode as well. I actually like that they haven't made the show very linear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

This episode was really quite superb. Loved most of the back story.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Quality stuff yet again

Only one ep now and a 2 week gap to it :(

Lost had a habit of ending on exciting cliff-hangers. The characters were always searching for answers, where are we, why are we here etc.
    This show is much more subtle, and I absolutely love it. They fleshed out the Garvey household so well, it seems like a genuine believable family. It makes it much easier to now understand why everyone is so miserable, lost, confused etc.

The one exception seems to be Garvey Sr. He's the only one that seems to have gained a focus after the departure despite it driving him "crazy". I guess it's a little interesting that we didn't see where he was when the departure happened.

Looking forward to the finale.
    I think this show will get pretty popular when Sky Atlantic get on board, I'll be encouraging friends to watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,616 ✭✭✭squonk

Haven't watched it in weeks which probably means I'm out really. It didn't really join up from episode to episode and after 5-6 episodes didn't really seem to be gong anywhere. Usually I pencil in some shows for commuting time tat I'm either burning off or giving a second chance to but I couldn't be bothered with Leftovers. It wasn't remotely interesting. I can see it ending eventually with many wondering why they watched or what exactly happened anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I havent read any of the thread but i'm just looking for a yes or no on whether this is worth watching. I love sci-fi (even when its bad) but i worry about it being a lindelof show after watching a couple of seasons of Lost and the show going nowhere. Does this do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Beano wrote: »
    I havent read any of the thread but i'm just looking for a yes or no on whether this is worth watching. I love sci-fi (even when its bad) but i worry about it being a lindelof show after watching a couple of seasons of Lost and the show going nowhere. Does this do the same?

I'm afraid it's too early to tell if the show is going to deliver. It does have an interesting mystery as its premise and compelling characters. Also is based on a novel so it probably will follow that structure somewhat. So my answer would be yes, but I accept that in four years time, or whatever it's run, you can come back here and berate me for every thinking the writers knew what the hell they were doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I'm afraid it's too early to tell if the show is going to deliver. It does have an interesting mystery as its premise and compelling characters. Also is based on a novel so it probably will follow that structure somewhat. So my answer would be yes, but I accept that in four years time, or whatever it's run, you can come back here and berate me for every thinking the writers knew what the hell they were doing.

Didnt realise it was based on a novel. that might mean he has some idea of how it all ties together, unlike lost. I promise not to hold you personally responsible if it doesnt :)

Beano wrote: »

How strange. I came back to this thread to ask this very question after I quit following episode 4. Sounds like it hasn't changed. "Mysterious" nonsense

Okay that was pretty messed up. Can see now why she joined the Guilty Remnant having
    her unborn baby vanish from her womb, I assume

And then Garvey going to your one's room after having a fight over nothing and seemingly realising
    Laurie was pregnant

• Registered Users Posts: 43,791 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm way behind as I stopped after the pilot, but watched up to episode 4 tonight and it's enthralling TV.

Not always excellent, often a tad hokey.. but it's got a lot going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Okay that was pretty messed up. Can see now why she joined the Guilty Remnant having
    her unborn baby vanish from her womb, I assume

And then Garvey going to your one's room after having a fight over nothing and seemingly realising
    Laurie was pregnant

Did Kevin no she was pregant is that why he said he didn't want a dog aka a_baby.
    I wonder how many of the peoples partners where cheating we no of two Kevin and Nora's husband.
    Am I the only one that can't stand laurie

naughto wrote: »
    Am I the only one that can't stand laurie

Shhhhhhh! :p

The scene where he saw the "It's a girl" balloon on the deer looked like he realised she was pregnant, like something clicked.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to figure out if this show genuinely got better, or if the people that don't like it stopped watching altogether. Because according to IMDB, the ratings have risen as it has gone on.

Advertisement