Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPOILERS: We're Alive Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Another new episode day for the sadistic die hards that have stuck with the series this far. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

Stuck with it but it has been hard not to say "**** it, I have had enough."

Stuck with it but it has been hard not to say "**** it, I have had enough."

Think at this point we are all like Macbeth wading in the metaphorical lake of blood. :D

Really has been poor fare for the majority of seasons three and four. Seasons one and two really were far superior, and still reward returns to them.

Don't think seasons three and four will ever to relistened to in full by myself.

Yet another set up/dull episode

Nothing at all of note.

The same stupid stuff about the well. The same waste of time talk about the move back to Dunbar.

Pretty much everything else that was being set up over the past 6 to 8 weeks worth of episodes has ground to a halt be it Scratch following a convoy, Burt/Riley with the Maller.

And this boring "take the fight to them" rubbish has been threatened since season three ended with Michael spouting off a line to that effect. The same talk of taking the fight to the creatures and Ink must have been trotted out at least four or five times this season, and it is always followed by three, four , or five set up episodes that go nowhere.

The lack of creatures for the most part this season has been a let down. People driving cars and trucks around the city and hardly a peep from the creatures. Whole convoys leave the colony and no attacks are made when the humans are out in the open.

The worst thing about this final season is that there has been no real feeling of threat. No feeling that the creatures are going to attack enmasse, no feeling that the mallers are about to strike. Just feels like all factions are just off watching soaps on tv and not too bothered.

Even things like the massive tall creatures from the finale of season three have more or less vanished. The odd behemoth has popped up (hospital and prison) but the many of the other various types that were introduced in the earlier seasons have seemingly been forgotten.

The big crack in the ground as ground zero is no longer being treated as something important. The fact that world wide outbreaks were happening at the same time has been ignored in favour of Ink being some kind of kind of string puller for it despite the fact that Ink was human when the outbreaks were happening in other countries.

All the news reports that were tivo'd in season one or the military information about the rest of the country/world from season three seems to forgotten now, and every now and then Michael will act surprised at some new "discovery" despite the fact he would have seen or heard the same stuff first hand in the earlier seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Newest episode is up already folks, here's hoping for..... something interesting to happen!

• Advertisement

Have been relistening to season one in the car of late and this morning I listened to chapters 7 and 8.

The difference in storytelling, sound effects, musical cues etc is staggering when compared to the current season.

The changes to the creatures is something I can never get over. Bear in mind we are only talking maybe 12 to 18 months in terms of how much time has gone by within the WA universe.

There are some really nice touches in the first season though. Things like how Angel reacts when he first hears the voice of Scratch.

Yeah, ploughing through season 2 at the minute, with Angel and Kalani getting the rations at the army base. When the shore was on its game, it was excellent to be fair.

muff03 wrote: »
    Yeah, ploughing through season 2 at the minute, with Angel and Kalani getting the rations at the army base. When the shore was on its game, it was excellent to be fair.

Ahh yes, them in the dark warehouse with the little ones making noises was pretty cool.

The footrace with the behemoth in that episode was done so much better than the recent one at the hospital.

What I don't get is how the speed of the creatures varies so much. Kalani and Angel were chased on foot by a behemoth in the episode you were listening to, and they were just about staying ahead of the behemoth.

At the hospital Saul and Kelly were just about able to stay ahead of one.

But when Victor and Saul came back to the site of the tower at the start of season three, a regular behemoth was able to keep pace with a moving truck.

And in the first season when Burt, Saul, and Lizzie are out checking out the tankers the creatures were able to keep up with a car doing between 45kmph and 60kmph. But in later episodes we see people being chased on foot over long distances by the creatures.

What really gets me from the very first episode is how the creatures back then responded to sound. Michael and others stayed sitting in their stationary cars on the freeway, and the creatures did not go to attack them, and instead went after the guy who was honking his car horn, but as the seasons went on the creatures would attack at any hint of movement and come running at the slightest sound or the slightest whiff of sweat. Then in season four we had trucks (at times travelling in convoy), cars, gunshots, people covered in sweat etc all fail to draw in creatures.

A flowerpot falling from a balcony was enough sound to bring in creatures from miles away in season one. :D

And I really miss that loud howl/roar that let you know a large number of creatures was on the way.

Another meh episode.

And the big revelation? What a crock. Funny how none of the past bodies of infected turned into the yellow mist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭DakotaYoda

Been keeping up with listening but not been on the Boards in ages....

Yeah - just listened to 46 Part 2. Nothing fun or really remotely interesting since they killed off Lizzie and Datu. Boring as hell outside of that. I will give them that though - the episode when they killed off those 2 was great. I thought they did an amazing job.

So - were zombie bodies disappearing in earlier seasons by disappearing into mist or other zombies hauling them away? Not that it really matters.

The older seasons. Some is better some is worse than the current - I know that once the Tower fell things seemed to fall apart a bit. There were bright spots here and there but really - the first season was well done. But why? Some of the foley work really isn't that great and the quality of the production got better as they went, even if the story lost its way. I really think we're suffering from 'first time syndrome' or something like that... nothing is EVER as good as it is the first time.

I will absolutely hang in for the finale and I will actually miss Monday downloads and getting the new episode.

• Advertisement

DakotaYoda wrote: »
    Been keeping up with listening but not been on the Boards in ages....

Yeah - just listened to 46 Part 2. Nothing fun or really remotely interesting since they killed off Lizzie and Datu. Boring as hell outside of that. I will give them that though - the episode when they killed off those 2 was great. I thought they did an amazing job.

So - were zombie bodies disappearing in earlier seasons by disappearing into mist or other zombies hauling them away? Not that it really matters.

The older seasons. Some is better some is worse than the current - I know that once the Tower fell things seemed to fall apart a bit. There were bright spots here and there but really - the first season was well done. But why? Some of the foley work really isn't that great and the quality of the production got better as they went, even if the story lost its way. I really think we're suffering from 'first time syndrome' or something like that... nothing is EVER as good as it is the first time.

I will absolutely hang in for the finale and I will actually miss Monday downloads and getting the new episode.

They were being dragged away by any other creatures that were around, and we were told that they were being put in with the big pile of corpses at the arena along with the corpses of non infected humans. The same big pile that was still there a few episodes back with Michael, Vic, and Datu were looking at it. So those remains did not vanish into yellow mist, and neither did the remains found upstairs in the arena.

And the long dead behemoth found by Angel and Kalani outside the storage depot had not turned into mist either. So this new idea of recently killed creatures turning into mist does not really work. For it to hold any weight then the infected humans kept for research at the colony and earlier on at Fort Irwin should have been turning into mist as well.

Begorrah tis a new episode day to be sure for sure.

Tune in later to see how the lads and lasses at Dunbar get on against the rogues.

Given tonight is the final part of chapter 46, we could have a wait until our next fix.

According to the official We're Alive site, Chapter 47 will be done live on the 19th July with the finale starting just over an hour after the live episode finishes.

But according to the site the July 19th finale will not be broadcast online until a week later.

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/news/were-alive-series-finale-event/

July 19th is a Saturday. Will we try for a live thread for the finale? One last time into the fray and all that?

July 19th is a Saturday. Will we try for a live thread for the finale? One last time into the fray and all that?

The finale on the 19th will only be played for those who are present at the live event. The website says that the finale will be put up online for the general public a week later.

What I don't get is how there is an episode in two weeks time as advertised at the end of yesterday's episode.

The We'ra Alive website says that on the 19th July chapter 47 will be done live and then chapter 48 (the finale) will be played after it.

But the two weeks later thing after yesterday's episode suggests that part one of chapter 47 will be online in two weeks time.

As for yesterday's episode. Another massive pile of meh. And the skirmish scene near the end had some of the worst effects and biggest lack of urgency in the voice acting that I have heard in the entire series.

And we are back to ground zero being the start of the outbreak. Despite it being confirmed by the army and media (from as early as season one) that the outbreak was a worldwide one. Even Kalani's timeline had the outbreak in full swing in Hawaii at the same time as it was kicking off in LA, and the general at Fort Irwin confirmed that the entire east coast of America had fallen along with most of Europe.

Burt and Riley deciding to have a few drinks when in enemy territory? :rolleyes:

New episode day :)

Was after getting used to the early release they've been doing with the least chapter. Is this the penultimate chapter so?

Was after getting used to the early release they've been doing with the least chapter. Is this the penultimate chapter so?

Yep it is.

And it is also the chapter that they will be doing live on the 19th July.

More limping towards the finale.

This being infected by gas is a joke. We went the bones of four seasons without the creatures turning into gas when killed, and now we seem to be going down the route of them doing that.

Don't like the "oh it is because of us humans in LA that poor Ink had to keep making more better monsters" either. It totally discounts the descriptions of the creatures from the East coast of America not to mention the fact that the creatures were on the Island of Hawaii at the same time, as well as there being outbreaks worldwide.

Just stinks of a lot of retconning to try and make things fit.

And I guess the mallers and Scratch will be popping up soon after all the false starts in their storyline this season. Had long thought that Scratch might survive the whole thing, but what are the chances of Scratch being the new creature? Maybe she was captured by Ink and uber mutated or something. :D

Yesterday was a

NEW EPISODE DAY

And yet again it was another supposed set up episode.

I am just not feeling this "evil from looooong loooong ago" thing as an excuse for the creature.

And I hate the "if we kill everything in this lair in L A, then we will stop the creatures" malarky. What about the outbreaks in France, England, China etc that we were told about in earlier seasons? What about how the entire East coast of America fell as told by those in Fort Irwin? What about how all the islands of Hawaii were infected as told by Kalani?

What about the massive hordes of regular creatures seen from the air as they flew to Fort Irwin for the first time?

And what about the creatures adapted for aquatic purposes? I really wanted those creatures to resurface (pun intended :P) at some point.

And how the hell have the colonists that went elsewhere not have their comms set up? We were told ages ago by CJ that she went by helicopter to where they were going so that they were set up and so that their comms were in place. So we are to believe that she was able to single handily set up dozens of secure safe houses (complete with working hard lines no less), and single handily rebuild Dunbar (including the rebuilding and fortifying of the place, but she was unable to organise for basic comms to be set up comms etc for the colonists despite being flown there especially for that purpose?

And CJ giving Saul her katana. Wonder has that set up a "That's for Lizzie/CJ" moment as that very blade gets stuck into Ink or Scratch (although I still think the latter either survives to the very end or has been mutated into some kind of uber hate creature by Ink.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

I'm only at the end of season three but I'm so glad to have found somewhere to discuss We're Alive; nobody I know likes it. I'll post back when I catch up.

• Advertisement

I thought that this is just concentrating on killing Ink, and that is accepted that there are creatures elsewhere, just not like in LA. Was that not the point to the retcon?

They've to kill Ink, or he will keep coming for them, getting the creatures together to band after them? I don't think they're saying that the others don't exist, nor that they'll be removed once Ink is.

That's where I was at anyway, after last week.

I thought that this is just concentrating on killing Ink, and that is accepted that there are creatures elsewhere, just not like in LA. Was that not the point to the retcon?

They've to kill Ink, or he will keep coming for them, getting the creatures together to band after them? I don't think they're saying that the others don't exist, nor that they'll be removed once Ink is.

That's where I was at anyway, after last week.

Just feels horribly disjointed and that they are trying to shoehorn in various retcons to make things fit, rather than try to make past storylines make sense.

Have a feeling that the final episode will see a mish mash of old storylines all suddenly get resolved and certain things from past timelines, plotlines etc will all be ignored just so things can be more or less tied up in the final episode.

Oh and I bet the aquatic creatures will not even get a mention. Those poor brave stars of the show. :D

Today may be a NEW EPISODE DAY.

And we could have a further delay in terms of getting to hear the finale (unless you want to pay to hear it a few days after the July 19th event.)

Seems that the finale will be heard by those attending the Finale event on the 19th of July.

Then it will be made available to the general public on the 21st July but only if they pay $5 for the download.

The finale will then be made available as a later date for free, but that date has not been disclosed as of yet.

Details are in the link

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/news/were-alive-the-series-finale/

So there we have it. The penultimate chapter is done and dusted.

Any thoughts?

Scratch and two mallers being able to disable the heavily fortified Dunbar tower in minutes? And they are now carrying a minigun complete with ammo. Wonder if the minigun is going to prove crucial in stopping Ink in the final episode.

Would have thought the advantage in Dunbar lay with CJ & co, as they should know the place backwards, even in the dark, and they are armed.

And Ink's underground lair. So have the creatures now gone from being zombies to being infected humans to being some sort of ants making complex tunnel networks :D

If only the creatures did not have to wait until the penultimate episode in the entire series to figure out that they were capable of using tools and utensils (being able to use containers to transport water is a bit of a giveaway). Ink could have been sending them in carrying blades, clubs, and maybe even guns for the past four seasons rather than letting them charge towards guns barehanded.

And the robot has now been damaged by Ink. Maybe a set up for a storyline where someone has to be a big sacrifice by setting off the explosives manually?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Kess73 wrote: »
    So there we have it. The penultimate chapter is done and dusted.

Any thoughts?

Scratch and two mallers being able to disable the heavily fortified Dunbar tower in minutes? And they are now carrying a minigun complete with ammo. Wonder if the minigun is going to prove crucial in stopping Ink in the final episode.

And Ink's underground lair. So have the creatures now gone from being zombies to being infected humans to being some sort of ants making complex tunnel networks :D

And the robot has now been damaged by Ink. Maybe a set up for a storyline where someone has to be a big sacrifice by setting off the explosives manually?

well i am guessing ink knew they would come for him. the picture for the last episode has ink using puppet strings for 2 or more people. so the implication is he has actually lead them to this point. skittles said he would know they used him. i think thats what the smiling into the camera was...he is taunting them to come git some deep inside. the question is who will go in to set off the explosives.. also is he also waiting outside dunbar for the scratch attack to get all the people there?

for a while i had assumed ink was going to dig around dunbar to collaspe the foundations.

on the underground lair thing, i actually quite like it. its a bit like riddick pitch black, the creatures that only appear at points in time. i am guessing the implication is they have been there since the, well hell the dinosaurs.they then appear, almost wipe all animal life out, bury themselves, decay giving off the gas (aka how they reproduce) and wait for {enter number of years here] only to be exposed at some time in the future when their existence is long forgotten and rinse and repeat.

i did like the fact that ink only bumped into by accident the image that 'saved' him. he had used so many tattoos he then went about finding out which one worked. still cant figure out why dathu was marked with that image by randy, was he needed for something? the whole ink is doing this as a defence was total pants. the episode i really liked was the soldiers in the prison one, the caught me off guard with that. i was guessing one of them would get it..but the 3 guys who had some great lines was a surprise to me.

i assumed all over the world whats left of the creatures are digging in to dissolve, at least thats how i took it. LA just has the added issue of a guy whos insanity fits right in and is tweaking them to his own purpose. didnt they say they were all starving since they pretty much wiped out all life? the water based ones were starving way way back. also the ones around the colony were slightly different from the LA ones and the hawaii ones were nasty, so you get something local to the environment they are are i guess is the implication.

i do agree it looks like the writers of LOST got involved, just throw enough crap up in the air and hope for the best approach. i am hoping it ends well or at least wellish...

on the scratch attack, i thought she rammed dunbar with a truck. i know the behemoths were big but CJ did have that metal spikes on the door thing going on to stop them getting up a head of steam (didnt she?). also did scratch use all the RPG's or does she still have some of them?

it will be interesting to see how it finishes...heres hoping it wont be complete crap.

on the scratch attack, i thought she rammed dunbar with a truck. i know the behemoths were big but CJ did have that metal spikes on the door thing going on to stop them getting up a head of steam (didnt she?). also did scratch use all the RPG's or does she still have some of them?

it will be interesting to see how it finishes...heres hoping it wont be complete crap.

What gets me with that is I seem to remember the entrances to Dunbar being slightly elevated after CJ had worked on the building. Remember her taking Saul and Vic into the building for the first time? If they were elevated then it should have prevented anything from ramming them head on.

On the subject of the final episode, when do folks here think we should discuss it?

Am going to assume that none of us will be at the evemt in LA where it will be played for the first time to the public.

But some here might opt to buy the episode on the 21st when it becomes available to purchase. But that would mean that those who want to wait for it to be broadcast free on the 29th could have the finale spoiled for them if they came on here and the episode was being discussed.

Maybe we should reach an agreement amongst ourselves here not to discuss the happenings of the final episode until the 30th July so that way we don't spoil it for fellow Boardsies?

Yeah, that sounds good Kess, I reckon it'll be sometime next week before I get to listen to it anyway. That or spoiler tags, but since there's not too many of us these days, waiting til its free will be for the best for discussion.

I'm finding this to be the weakest season finale build up so far, a real pity as its the end too. Season one had the great dynamic of the first battle between people. Season two had the idea of changing everything we were familiar with, leaving the tower and the possibility of losing some of our people. Season three, and I know some of us really didn't like it, for me having listened to it in big chunks was enjoyable as it was a huge scale story rather than the small group survival we were used to.

But man, season four has really just plodded along. I would love for it to feel like we are on the cusp of the end. That this great epic finish is about to happen. Instead it feels like we are just...... here.

I've been quiet enough the last few episodes as I felt I was saying the same thing over and over, and am probably repeating myself now. But I'm holding out for the end, and am looking forward to being surprised at how good it turns out.

• Advertisement

It's 23.37 here in NYC, so it's still

FINAL EPISODE DAY!

(sorry Kess, didn't feel right if the last one was missed!)

Advertisement