Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla (2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Noblong wrote: »
    Just, someone tell me, it's not as bad as 'The Day The Earth Stood Still'' remake. ?

Jaysus no! Not remotely.
    It's grand, it's just kinda bland. A complete by the numbers blockbuster.

Ken Watanabe was hilarious in it. I don't think he says anything of use for the whole movie. He just stares softly at what's going on around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Jaysus no! Not remotely.

Ken Watanabe was hilarious in it. I don't think he says anything of use for the whole movie. He just stares softly at what's going on around him.

He'd probably be taken more seriously if he didn't talk like a mystic meg for the entirety of the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

He'd probably be taken more seriously if he didn't talk like a mystic meg for the entirety of the movie.

Exactly, or if he said anything of note. Instead it's just vague philosophical nonsense that offers nothing!

Oh, and I'd watch Bryan Cranston eat popcorn. They guy just elevates stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I loved it. As a kid who grew up watching the old Toho films, it really ticked all the boxes for me. It felt like a great homage to the 54 original. I'll admit some of the acting was a bit bland and there were several cringeworthy lines, but I expected that going in given the subject matter. The sound design really stood out for me. You could almost feel the seat shake when Godzilla roared. Loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Jaysus no! Not remotely.

Ken had a look on his face akin to someone working on a constipated dump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I found it disappointing as well, the middle third is just way too slow. Says a lot when the main man is the best character in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Yes... It shows nothing of the film.

To anyone waiting to see the Interstellar trailer, I may have been wrong here. I hadn't seen the original trailer since it was first released and hadn't paid all that much attention to it at the time. I'd read there was going to be a new trailer with Godzilla so I assumed what I was watching was the new trailer, even though it was suspiciously like the old one.

Having just watched the old one on Youtube now, it seems that what I saw was actually just the old one :-0... apologies for any confusion my earlier dismissal of said trailer may have caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,356 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

TO be clear on the Interstellar trailer - the one I saw last night in Dundrum before Godzilla is certainly one I had not seen before. It is not the teaser that shows nothing of the movie. The one I saw last night explains the basic plot and premise of the movie, is between 2 and 3 minutes long, and shows a good number of scenes. It is NOT the monologue about mankinds exploratory history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

TO be clear on the Interstellar trailer - the one I saw last night in Dundrum before Godzilla is certainly one I had not seen before. It is not the teaser that shows nothing of the movie. The one I saw last night explains the basic plot and premise of the movie, is between 2 and 3 minutes long, and shows a good number of scenes. It is NOT the monologue about mankinds exploratory history.

Thanks! :D Guess it will be worth seeing Godzilla now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Falthyron wrote: »
    Thanks! :D Guess it will be worth seeing Godzilla now :P

If the Interstellar trailer is part of the draw for you then be sure to see it in the right cinema. I watched it in Cineworld and it was the old trailer shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

I know I shouldn't have expected much from this film, and I don't think I even did - but I thought it was absolutely brutal.

First half an hour or so was interesting, nice lead in to the story but as said by others, once
    Bryan Cranston dies
    it all goes to crap.

So many small cringeworthy details that added together, made me come out of the cinema annoyed at how stupid the film was overall.

Disappointing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

THe new, longer and more revealing intersteller trailer was on the front of Godzilla in Dundrum.

On Godzilla.... bitterly disappointed with it. Enjoyed the first half which was rather slow, deliberate and serious - but the fun never occured to give it the pay off it required.

The movie could be described as 'This happens, then they do this, then this happens.....oh, and Godzilla does some stuff in the background a bit'.

It is worse than transformers was for taking the attention away from the titular character, imo. Also, the military were painfully stupid and the cast woefully underused.

Soooo, is it a bit like Monsters in that regard then?

It worked for a number of reasons in Edwards' feature debut (not least budget, I'm sure), but relegating the big guy to background character seems a poor decision. As an aside, I see a Monsters 2 teaser has been released. I'm assuming Edwards' involvement is minimal.

Am I the only one who actually likes when things happen in the background?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Am I the only one who actually likes when things happen in the background?
    Worked so much better in Monsters. If you're gonna relegate the action to just being a backdrop you'd better have some interesting drama in the forefront which I think this film failed at for a good portion of its runtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Saw it, liked it.

Cranston is electric in first 45 mins.
    Opening credits monster teases are fantastic.

Some great monster battle bits; falling into building, the "kiss" ;) , etc.

Very much reminiscent of the older movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Didn't care for it much at all.

Enjoyed the visual aspect of things but other than that, was quite bored watching it.

The dialogue is bland and none of the characters were all that likeable, apart from the one Juliette Binoche plays, but then that may just because she is a very charismatic actress and brought qualities to her lines that the writer had little or nothing to do with.

Story was pretty drab overall, has to be said. I think I would have preferred it if the film was dubbed in Swahili, as at least then I wouldn't have wasted time listening to the dialogue and could have just focused on the action instead.

If you're gonna go and see it, then see it in the best screen you can, as at least then you will get to appreciate the action sequence in all it's jaw dropping glory and perhaps that will be enough to distract you from the fact that you have paid money to see a pretty useless film.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Shane.C

Saw it and loved it.
    A throwback to the old Godzilla!
    It's a movie about giant radioactive monsters in a fight to the death scenario, f*ck sake!, it's not a cranston movie!

Godzilla you bad ass mo fo, we love you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Shane.C wrote: »
    It's a movie about giant radioactive monsters in a fight to the death scenario, f*ck sake!, it's not a cranston movie!
    Then you shouldn't have to sift through an hour of underwhelming drama to get there.

e_e wrote: »
    Then you shouldn't have to sift through an hour of underwhelming drama to get there.

It would hardly be made with just
    fighting scenes between the man himself and Rodan.

I understand the overall conception of the poor character development and acting,
    I was shocked to see Cranston die so early. His fellow thespians cannot hold a mantle to him but it's about Godzilla, and that needs to be accepted.

I was delighted with how he looked, in comparison to that 1998 monstrosity of an attempt.
    His 'special something' with that sulfur flame was great to see! Not just a Dino!, something more. As well as the fact that his 'Alpha predator' instincts allowed him to ignore humans, reinstating the idea he is in fact a protector of humans. Loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Spoiler tag might have been an idea there buddy. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dair. wrote: »
    Spoiler tag might have been an idea there buddy. :rolleyes:

Sorry, assumed this was a spoiler thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Jut back from it. I thought it was great up to a certain point (you all know which one) then descends into by-the-numbers monster film, where the MUTO is following the Soldier played by Taylor-Johnston (i can't remember his name) wherever he goes. The human drama is predictable and boring, great actors were wasted and it just falls flat when the monsters aren't on screen, which is far too much of the run time. Say what you want about the '98 film, but at least Godzilla was front and centre there. It's biggest flaw is taking itself far too seriously but coming out in baffling logical fallacies. The bait and switch of having
    Cranston all over the trailers then revealing that Aaron Taylor Johnston is the real main character
    is unforgivable.

I don't want to sound overly negative. The creature designs were fantastic (though i got a serious Cloverfield vibe from the MUTO's) and the effects were great. The fights, or at least what little of them there are, are also entertaining, though i think the 3D is wasted. Overall a strong attempt but still misses the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Shane.C wrote: »
    It would hardly be made with just
    fighting scenes between the man himself and Rodan.

I understand the overall conception of the poor character development and acting,
    I was shocked to see Cranston die so early. His fellow thespians cannot hold a mantle to him but it's about Godzilla, and that needs to be accepted.

I was delighted with how he looked, in comparison to that 1998 monstrosity of an attempt.
    His 'special something' with that sulfur flame was great to see! Not just a Dino!, something more. As well as the fact that his 'Alpha predator' instincts allowed him to ignore humans, reinstating the idea he is in fact a protector of humans. Loved it!

All that Godzilla stuff is called spectacle, and film can not survive on spectacle alone. Great character and story is what elevates the spectacle and makes a film tremendous in a way that you can't explain.

This is just cookie cutter stuff with a different monster thrown into the monster role.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Desperately disappointing, 3D not needed at all, breaking bads son was a major douche and I was hoping GODZILLA was going to ate him....................infact I wish he ate the whole cast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭sonic85

Divided opinion here. Some people seemed to like it others didnt. Is it worth going to see or should I keep my money in my pocket?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 beardy_smith

is it better than the 1998 effort ?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

Whether people are criticising or praising this, take it as a given that they consider it better than Emmerich's 1998 effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I'd have to rewatch the 1998 version but this current version is so bad that I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Just saw and loved it too. Yes there is no need for the poor story/acting/by the numbers military intervention/'Merica yadda yadda, but this is an event movie, a monster movie, it's frickin' Godzilla FFS!!! If you want a good story/script/acting then go see Grand Budapest Hotel or something. Park your brain outside and get on a really good monster movie ride.

Yes it has flaws but the big guy himself was awesome, I was grinning like an idiot at a couple of parts (you'll know when they happen...) and watching it with my 11 year old son only made the experience more enjoyable, he has proclaimed it the best monster movie he has ever see and he has seen them all I tell ya! Much better than the 1998 one imho.

Go see it and enjoy it for what it is, a really really really good, ridiculous movie event! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I thought this was amazing, simply well done, A monster movie how it should be. I think the screen time of monsters in shot was perfect and not over the top, also it was built up nicely. As above I think it had some amazing visuals set up throughout.

One of my favorite scenes was the
    Jump from the plane with he flares and seeing the fight from mid air through the mask

Advertisement