Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla (2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

T-Bird wrote: »
    Dammit! I was looking forward to this, and am never going to see it now....

To be fair, the intro credit scene is brilliant. And I don't mean that sarcastically.

It's pure old school, and the music has a quality 60's/70's disaster movie feel to it. Pity it's only about 5 minutes long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I only just realised, its the same guy from kick ass :eek:
    Good film though. Not the best I've seen this year, not the worst. Solid 7/10.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

To be fair, the intro credit scene is brilliant. And I don't mean that sarcastically.

It's pure old school, and the music has a quality 60's/70's disaster movie feel to it. Pity it's only about 5 minutes long.

Yeah, I really liked them too - particularly liked the way there was extra text in each credit block that was quickly 'redacted'. Lots of little hints at background information relevant to the film there too, which is something I like in good credit scenes - makes them feel more like part of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Desperately disappointing, 3D not needed at all, breaking bads son was a major douche and I was hoping GODZILLA was going to ate him....................infact I wish he ate the whole cast

I honestly thought he and Godzilla were going to salute each other at one stage. Awfully unlikeable and wooden character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Wishiwasa Littlebitaller

Corholio wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet but kudos to RTE for their tagline from their website review

'G-Funk Terror, locked up with a monster twist'

Superb :pac:

Classic

By showing I got the reference, I've just revealed how old I am though, haven't I :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Lovebeat

I watched the movie yesterday and I didn't think it was that bad as most of you are saying..
    I believe it was a movie worth watching in the cinema.. As watching it in 3D made it even more exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Fysh wrote: »
    Yeah, I really liked them too - particularly liked the way there was extra text in each credit block that was quickly 'redacted'. .

here is what the redacted text says

http://badassdigest.com/2014/05/16/badass-exclusive-the-redacted-secrets-from-godzillas-credits/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

First of I enjoyed it a lot, it's not perfect but it's nowhere near as bad as many on here are moaning about. Maybe expectations were high cause of the trailer but it did everything it said on the tin for a summer blockbuster.

But my biggest gripe was it wasting of a amazing cast, Bryan Cranston, the best thing in it and did the best with what he had
    what a waste in killing him off so early he would have made a interesting take on a hero instead of a army guy, they could have done it near the end
    , Elizabeth Olsen as the wife has a totally nothing role, she must have been paid some money to take this role. Sally Hawkins too deserves better, she must have done this for money. Ken Watanabe and David Strathairn did well with what they were given. But the biggest waste was Juliette Binoche
    a total nothing role as Cranston's wife, she put her heart into it and thanks to both actors her death was one of the more effective scenes in the film
    . Aaron Taylor Johnson isn't action hero material but he did ok job.

The fight scenes with Godzilla were awesome
    I didn't know Godzilla was the hero, that was the biggest shock to me
    . I got to admit everything up to
    Cranston's death
    was pretty gripping and it would have been an interesting movie If they stuck to that route and had the last half hour with Godzilla bashing things to keep the Blockbuster fan's happy, But overall it was a good solid summer blockbuster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I went in with low expectations and must say I enjoyed it, seriously impressive sequences and shots in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

saw it today, the big question as what was godzilla motivation?
    balance
    my bro said, no that's that
    nature's
    to be king
    then he said, ah that's it but
    does he just kill every other creature that appears?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Sequel already confirmed! I am delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah one of the big flops of 2014, you read it here first.

FAIL

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Meirleach

Seen it in 3D....Really dissapointed. The movie felt super long for some reason, and I liked Pacific Rim!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

saw it today, the big question as what was godzilla motivation?
    balance
    my bro said, no that's that
    nature's
    to be king
    then he said, ah that's it but
    does he just kill every other creature that appears?

Spoilers ahoy.
    I think his motivation may be that the MUTOs start as some kind of parasite on Godzilla's species.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Ipso wrote: »
    Spoilers ahoy.
    I think his motivation may be that the MUTOs start as some kind of parasite on Godzilla's species.

oh right forgot about them, so his motivation is
    defense of himself if he doesn't stop em breeding he'll have a whole lot of parasites after him, why do the parasites choose to bury themselves in one of his kind?, does he emanate nuclear power? he can obviousy generate 'electrical power' which seems to hurt them

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Sequel already confirmed! I am delighted!

Has Edwards committed to the sequel? If he has, I'm sure he'll take in a lot of the feedback and implement it into the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭I_p_freely

***lots of spoilers***
    Saw it tonight, went in with low expectations and I was entertained. Not the greatest film ever but it was decent. There are a LOT of gaps in the story and its very cheesy and pro America - the MOTU first appears in Japan and guess whose navy comes in to take control of the situation first? The Japanese navy? Of course not! Why would you think that? America's navy, of course! Also, the MOTU spends 15 years feeding off a nuclear power plant in Japan (where they all speak English), and the authorities don't think to consult the physicist who witnessed the first MOTU attack on power plant which he is a top engineer and has vital information, until he is dead?! Also - "Cranston's" son is at every significant moment in the film at perfect moment in the perfect place to witness what happens and to save the day. Even though that entails travelling thousands of miles and from Japan to Hawaii to Nevada to San Francisco, hitch-hiking lifts from the navy along the way.
    And they fly a nuclear warhead directly over San Francisco attached to a helicopter by 2 straps?! Surely that's a health and safety no-no! :D
    Anyway, even though there are all those massive gaps, and the poor acting, and the sometimes hammy script, I actually enjoyed the fact that the story builds up fairly slowly and you only get teasers of the monsters until well into the film. And overall it was better than most CGI laden summer blockbusters which generally have no stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

oh right forgot about them, so his motivation is
    defense of himself if he doesn't stop em breeding he'll have a whole lot of parasites after him, why do the parasites choose to bury themselves in one of his kind?, does he emanate nuclear power? he can obviousy generate 'electrical power' which seems to hurt them

I'ts not
    electrical power
    he generates, it's
    atomic breath

• Registered Users Posts: 36,156 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bullet point review:

- GOAT opening credits. Seriously;
    - Dum, dum, do, do, do just waiting for these standard emotional set up scenes to end;
    - Bam! A monster, awesome;
    - Get on with the next action scene already;
    - GODZILLA!! :D Yay!;
    - Jaysus the acting (Godzilla excepted) is dreadful isn't it;
    - lol, that's stupid!;
    - Godzilla! :) Woo!;
    - Really? No, why would anyone do that? That's dumb??!!;
    - lol, how would you know that? Christ;
    - OH MY GOD THE ACTING;
    - Godzilla again, he's cool;
    - Don't care, don't care, don't care;
    - Godzilla;
    - End, emotional blah, blah (jaysus, the acting);
    - Oh, okay there will be a sequel;
    - Meh;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

wasnt for me im afraid.

found the first half fecking boring.

i thought they did a good job equating the monsters to forces of nature , and i cant fault the visuals at all. but there was an annoying amount of "ooh look at the fight ya want, but were not showing ya it".

i know that was teasing for the smack down at the end but i found what was being concentrated on then instead tedious. i have to agree with the switch to the son being a major flaw.

the bloke isnt leading man material and i found him a complete charisma vacuum. certainly after having to follow cranston who i woudve preferred to be the focal point for the whole film.

i wouldnt advise people not to see it or anything , i just left the cinema completly nonplussed about it. "meh" being the prevailing sentiment it left me with.

TBH i reckon you could quite happily walk into it a good hour into it and enjoy it more.

a disappointing 5/10 from me. pity as i was really looking forward to it. im glad its getting a sequel though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

To be honest, I think a sequel should drop A.T.J and family, maybe even downplay the military entirely and focus on a new group of characters. Maybe keep Ken Watanabe around but give him something to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Worst movie I've ever seen. From about halfway I just laughed the rest of the way through. The acting was absolutely ****ing hilarious. The Japanese guy with his love for Godzilla had me in tears laughing. I was just waiting for him to come out with " Don't kill him he's my friend"

Kunkka wrote: »
    Worst movie I've ever seen.

oh come on, that's a bit OTT. There have been worse blockbusters

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Looper007 wrote: »
    oh come on, that's a bit OTT. There have been worse blockbusters

No honestly I thought it was that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

This is pretty much how I felt every time they teased Godzilla or a fight:

It got really irritating, once you'd say ok but to do it repeatedly in a movie called Godzilla was a bit much.

It's not like I actually was made care about the human cast once the 1st hour was over, so every time they cut away from Godzilla about to fight to essentially nothing was annoying.

I don't understand the hate that Godzilla is getting. A lot of people are saying that it is closer to the very first cut of the original Godzilla movie than any of the sequels, so you have to admire Edwards for trying to get the franchise back to its roots.

Kunkka wrote: »
    No honestly I thought it was that bad.

I think it's a little dramatic, it's not great but it's not as bad as many of you want to paint it as. There are some great things in it but the creative team behind it I think let it down by instead of doing a downbeat but interesting blockbuster instead chickened out and during the second and third act went all Hollywood by the numbers blockbuster on it.

It's decent but not awful or god it's the worst film ever. But you are entitled to a opinion so I shouldn't shout you down :pac:

I don't understand the hate that Godzilla is getting. A lot of people are saying that it is closer to the very first cut of the original Godzilla movie than any of the sequels, so you have to admire Edwards for trying to get the franchise back to its roots.

I think Edwards wasn't totally in control of this somehow, I think the money men were in his ears. I think it's a decent but hugely flawed film. I think they should have
    made Cranston the hero instead of killing him off early for Aaron Taylor Johnson Army guy to take over, would have been nice to go agaisn't the grain
    they should have cut out Elizabeth Olsen's Wife and the son character really it had no place in the story and wouldn't have made any difference, maybe made Ken Watanabe more of a
    Shadier character
    . I think the film needed more of darker spin on it, having
    Cranston as the heart of the film
    would have made it a more interesting film.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Looper007 wrote: »

It's decent but not awful or god it's the worst film ever. But you are entitled to a opinion so I shouldn't shout you down :pac:

I don't think it was the worst film ever, but I don't think awful is too harsh a term.

I can't remember the last time I was in the cinema where the audience collectively groaned, sighed and laughed (not in a positive way) as much as during this film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

I thought the cut away from the airport fight was such a brilliant tease, as we were all hyped up for the on coming fight and seeing it partially through a news report I felt was a funny tease for the finale fight.

Advertisement