Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Godzilla (2014)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I thought the cut away from the airport fight was such a brilliant tease, as we were all hyped up for the on coming fight and seeing it partially through a news report I felt was a funny tease for the finale fight.

they did it two or three times though. the cut away's.

maximoose wrote: »
    I don't think it was the worst film ever, but I don't think awful is too harsh a term.

I can't remember the last time I was in the cinema where the audience collectively groaned, sighed and laughed (not in a positive way) as much as during this film.

I love how people like to add that people in the audience did this and that, did you go the people and ask them how they felt . I'm not been rude and I apologise if I think I am. But Judge the movie on you're terms, you thought it was awful.

It's not awful though, it's a decent two hour watch a bit like Amazing Spiderman 2 was decent nothing too bad. But I think maybe people had so many expectations in their head that it's bound to disappoint. I really worry what this forum will think when Interstellar doesn't live up to it's trailer.

I'm in the Godzilla was decent camp. I think the hate for it is a little OTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Well the general reaction I was getting from the crowd as we left the cinema overhearing other people's conversations (was in screen 17 in Cineworld so there's a mass of people slowly making their way down 3 floors!) was largely negative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Some guy a few seats down from me threw up his arms and shook his head when
    Cranston died.
    I think we both had that sinking feeling of the film being on shaky ground (no pun intended) from then on. It's a bizarre screen-writing decision and feels like they gave up 40 minutes in and thought "Let's replace the most human connection people will have to the movie and turn it into Call of Duty: Lizard Warfare."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

e_e wrote: »
    Cranston died.
    I think we both had that sinking feeling of the film being on shaky ground (no pun intended) from then on. It's a bizarre screen-writing decision and feels like they gave up 40 minutes in and thought "Let's replace the most human connection people will have to the movie and turn it into Call of Duty: Lizard Warfare."
    Cranston's death
    seems like something that was forced on the makers for whatever reason. What good reason is there to
    knock him off that soon?

I could understand
    him croaking it at the usual "mentor" death scene prior to the 3rd act, but this early made no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

this film is essentially a 2 hour long ode to a cock-blocking iguana.

still sat on the fence about it.

e_e wrote: »
    Cranston died.

awful mistake I agree.
    Cranston should have been the lead
    would have gave it more heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Cranston's death
    seems like something that was forced on the makers for whatever reason. What good reason is there to
    knock him off that soon?

I could understand
    him croaking it at the usual "mentor" death scene prior to the 3rd act, but this early made no sense.

they constantly looking for reasons to have his son in the room
    but was it fair enough he had half figured out what happened to his wife

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer

Looper007 wrote: »
    awful mistake I agree.
    Cranston should have been the lead
    would have gave it more heart.

I agree the son just looked like a young tom hardy who was dying to lay a turd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

lolosaur wrote: »
    this film is essentially a 2 hour long ode to a cock-blocking iguana.

still sat on the fence about it.

Thats it in a nutshell.......I dont really know what to make of this, seemed to go on for a long time and I think the plot was so simple it actually confused me???
    Much ado about nothing really.
    4/10

• Advertisement

I'ts not
    electrical power
    he generates, it's
    atomic breath

oh so godzilla
    does generate nuclear power, but i thought he could convert to straight electrical power out his mouth, but i see 'atomic breath' is a thing, was the did the wires around the muto at the start have power running through them.

um can we go for spoiler talk mods pls ta

I agree the son just looked like a young tom hardy who was dying to lay a turd

Yet Hardy is one of the best actors of his Generation while Aaron Taylor Johnson still looks like he should be in secondary school and acts like it.

This film is really a down the middle splitter isn't it. Some really hate it and some enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Just back.

Apart from Cranston who at least tried (Ken Watanabe, I am disappoint) and Godzilla who finally is Godzilla again: What a piece of crap.

The last half hour kind of managed to keep me interested due to, well... Godzilla being awesome but everything else ? Cliché, but not the good kind.

Characters you don't care about, a storyline that is pathetic,...

The only top marks go to the director and the way he brought the massive destruction into view without losing the focus (Transformers, eat your heart out).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Am I being an idiot with their horrible website or is this not in the Dublin IMAX?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Just back from this myself will try not to spoil it.

I liked it. It had flaws
    and was mis-titled it should of been called m.u.t.o seen as they got more screen time that the big man
    didn't like the lead or his story far to clichéd too many moments of convenience for them both other than that the "fight scenes"were good and the effects top notch worth a watch indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 43,777 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Thargor wrote: »
    Am I being an idiot with their horrible website or is this not in the Dublin IMAX?
    Seems to be..

I am a godzilla fan , i have all the movies etc... But if i had to sit down and choose to watch Cloverfield or Godzilla , i would choose cloverfield. That Depresses me , it has no re-watch value at all despite the ending.

the teasing of the fights pissed me off because quite frankly that is what i paid my money for. The Godzilla defeated the other monster a little too easily which made me think, why didnt he do that in the first place.

Also something else the film lacked was that anticipation of the monsters coming to the city. The Build up with the sirens going off. For some reason that just didnt grip me like it does in the other movies.

Godzilla himself looked good though, its the only good part of the movie. Unfortunately that's the only part that's lacking.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

he did do that in the first place, he just was crushing it until the second one attacked at the same time.

I wish the whole film had been like the first 10 minutes, with come actual story and acting. The main character may as well have been an inanimate carbon rod.
    Enjoyable enough affair, didn't expect anything more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Saw it this evening, thought it was class :) Love me some huge monster movies

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This Multiplex comic is one of the funnier comments on whether the film features enough Godzilla.

• Advertisement

Saw it last night. Thought that it was very silly and didn't manage to create any tension or sense of caring what actually might happen. The best part of the movie was the first half hour.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Slightly OT but was anyone in Dundrum for the 21.20 showing last night? There was a huge line for the tills that i've never seen before. Anyone know what was going on? Luckily I had tickets booked & brought 3D Glasses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I lowered my expectations for this after reading some of the criticism, I was also expecting a snoozefest for the first hour but I really enjoyed it.

Spoilers ahead.

Regarding the first reveal, I thought the build up was great, getting a sense of size etc but the cut away didn't annoy me too much.
    Some of the other cut aways worked as I thought it gave you an idea of a person on the ground view.
    I do think a bit more Godzilla build up would have been good, instead of him being woke from his slumber.
    Johnson was just meh, as was his wife.

I read a great description about the ending in an online review, about how he just gets up and leaves like he was a plumber that just finished a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

Going again tonight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Going to see this later tonight, managed to avert my eyes from all the posts so not to spoil it. Just wondering what the 3D is like? Noticeable or piss poor like Clash of The Titans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

HighClass wrote: »
    Going to see this later tonight, managed to avert my eyes from all the posts so not to spoil it. Just wondering what the 3D is like? Noticeable or piss poor like Clash of The Titans?

Not necessary but it certainly did not detract from the film

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Switch your brain off before watching this, it will blow your mind.

If you try to view it for its story line, you shouldn't bother going.

the escapist reviews it http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/9210-Godzilla-Breaking-Kaiju and loves it and hates it, but makes a big point about godzilla motivation but actually missed the point
    godzilla motivation is to avoid the parasites like were found in the older 'godzilla'
    , but not enough was made of that in the film, im not sure how such a keened eyed observer could miss that, maybe he indulged a little too much in the hating

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 beardy_mcgrath

i enjoyed it , compared to the 1998 one , its the citizen kane of monster movies , its slightly better than pacific rim but i enjoyed that too despite it being pretty crap

i saw it saturday and i could count on tow hands the number of people in the cinema , surprised its a hit based on that screening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I saw it earlier and it was grand but nothing special, there were some good scenes and well shot pieces of action through windows etc

But I was majorly annoyed when
    Bryan Cranston died.
    It didn't even seem to make much sense to story and was a pretty lame way to go when there's a Godzilla and 2 MUTO's on the loose. It just feels like an opportunity lost not to have made more use of
    him

Advertisement