Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I still have a VHS copy of the Ritz gig.

But do you have a machine to play it on ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

scudzilla wrote: »
    But do you have a machine to play it on ;)

No :(
    It is in my wardrobe with my Borg video boxset

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I still have a VHS copy of the Ritz gig. It really was a classic. All of the songs screened were off Appetite (on my copy anyway).

'I dunno what is is but it's weird and it's pissed off and it calls itself Slaaaaaasshh' Axl Rose at the Ritz:D

I probably have it on a Beatamax tape in the attic :D

Yeah there are a couple of different versions of the video from that night, the one in my other post has ''mama kin'' and some extra audio that was not broadcast. Rocket Queen rocks the place.

Forgot to mention ''Shadow of my love '' in my previous post.
    This is the setlist from that night.

5DUd9R.jpg

1 It's So Easy
    2 Mr. Brownstone
    3 Outta Get Me
    4 Sweet Child O' Mine
    5 My Michelle
    6 Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    7 Welcome To The Jungle
    8 Night Train
    9 Paradise City
    10 Mama Kin
    11 Rocket Queen
    12 Whole Lotta Rosie
    13 Shadow Of Your Love

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The MTV broadcast version has some missing material and mutes any 'objectionable' language,like the "why don't you just,Fcuk off" in It's so easy.

It's one of my favourite GN'R shows. Far from musically perfect,half the band look off their face and are hitting bum notes,but raw and full of passion and attitude. I remember watching it first being broadcast on BBC i think as some part of a rock/metal series hosted by Elvira around 1989. Needless to say i went out to buy AFD as soon as i could muster enough pocket money.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

lord lucan wrote: »
    The MTV broadcast version has some missing material and mutes any 'objectionable' language,like the "why don't you just,Fcuk off" in It's so easy.

It's one of my favourite GN'R shows. Far from musically perfect,half the band look off their face and are hitting bum notes,but raw and full of passion and attitude. I remember watching it first being broadcast on BBC i think as some part of a rock/metal series hosted by Elvira around 1989. Needless to say i went out to buy AFD as soon as i could muster enough pocket money.

So that's why my DVD of GN'R at The Ritz bleeps out the why don't you just **** off in It's So Easy, damn MTV and their censorship....... The Ritz is probably the best live show of the Appetite line up of GN'R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    So that's why my DVD of GN'R at The Ritz bleeps out the why don't you just **** off in It's So Easy, damn MTV and their censorship....... The Ritz is probably the best live show of the Appetite line up of GN'R

I haven't watched it in a while but I recall that Steven Adler shouts out the f*** off bit while Axl didn't actually say anything. The band were told to not swear as MTV would have to cut a lot of stuff out and you can hear Axl tone it down on a couple of moments but habits like that are hard to break and in the end it was a total cut and bleep job.

The broadcast that I recorded also had a messed up version of Paradise City which basically repeated the same part of the song in the solo. It meant that for ages I never got to see the truly hilarious moment when Axl stagedives and struggles to get back on stage as he has his top ripped off by a sea of scuzzy hands. Then when he does get back the laugh on Izzy's face is priceless!

I regard this as the 'default' GNR show, the one where they were captured at their peak in the months before they went absolutely mega. The only downside is that Axl's voice was in rag order (Rocket Queen sounds genuinely painful at times) but the show and the performance is unbeatable.

Stage dive at 5:33!

It's one of my favourite GN'R shows. Far from musically perfect,half the band look off their face and are hitting bum notes,but raw and full of passion and attitude.

It's definitely my favourite show from them, it's just magic from start to finish.

I regard this as the 'default' GNR show, the one where they were captured at their peak in the months before they went absolutely mega. The only downside is that Axl's voice was in rag order (Rocket Queen sounds genuinely painful at times) but the show and the performance is unbeatable.

I wouldn't think his voice was a downside in that show, at all, just pure raw rock n' roll :D He really went for it in that show as did the rest of them. Massive exposure from it.

This is the ''Whole Lotta Rosie'' from that night in the Ritz that I was talking about in my other posts. I have the full audio from the show that night.
    The YT video says it's from the Marquee in London but it's definitely from The Ritz.

I'm pretty sure that version of Whole lotta rosie is from one of the Marquee shows, I have it as a b side on a 12 inch single release from AFD, just can't remember which. I'll have a look for it in the morning.

I'm pretty sure that version of Whole lotta rosie is from one of the Marquee shows, I have it as a b side on a 12 inch single release from AFD, just can't remember which. I'll have a look for it in the morning.

There was me thinking I had a couple of rare bits of audio from the Ritz :o

Looks like it is from the Marquee alright, the vocals are a lot clearer compared to the other songs from the Ritz show.

Another fella commented on YT that he reckoned it was from the Ritz show as well, nice bit of editing was done to blend it in to the audio I have.

Put me out of my misery anyway and let me know if you dig it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

derra wrote: »

Looks like it is from the Marquee alright, the vocals are a lot clearer compared to the other songs from the Ritz show.

Another fella commented on YT that he reckoned it was from the Ritz show as well, nice bit of editing was done to blend it in to the audio I have.

It's 100 per cent from the Marquee, it's on the re-released 12 inch of Sweet Child O'Mine.

Regarding the Ritz gig, maybe downside is a bit strong a word to describe Axl's voice but compared to his usual standard at that time he definitely wasn't at his best and Slash acknowledges that in his book. Actually his description of the gig sums it up pretty well.

'It wasn't one of our greatest shows by any means. Axl was having vocal problems, and although we didn't play badly, we'd played so much better in the recent past. In any case it was loose and out of tune and punk rock, and for those reasons alone it is something to be recognized'.

While we're all on the subject I have to mention another part of the gig, during Rocket Queen when Axl, having wandered off stage for the second verse, gets a light from Slash and is interrupted by a stage invader who wants to high-five Slash! It's all just so casual and loose and it's brilliant. And then to top it all off Axl disappears again for the end and we get a stunning instrumental blow out. There was no other band like them.

3:24 for the high five!

• Advertisement

derra wrote: »

Exhibit A: SCOM 12".

IMG_20140419_143746.jpg

IMG_20140419_143739.jpg

Exhibit B:WTTJ 12" Picture disc which i'd completely forgotten i had.

IMG_20140419_143835.jpg

IMG_20140419_143843.jpg

It's only a one song performance but this performance of WTTJ at the '88 MTV Awards to me epitomises GN'R at their peak,the hairs on my arms still stand up every time i watch it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It's only a one song performance but this performance of WTTJ at the '88 MTV Awards to me epitomises GN'R at their peak,the hairs on my arms still stand up every time i watch it.:)

I remember Steven Adler referenced this in a quote a few years ago, he said something along the lines of "the original line up died after 1989, look at the MTV Awards performance, that was the true GNR" or something to that effect - funny enough I've never actually seen this one performance until now. Thanks for sharing!

Great posts!

'It wasn't one of our greatest shows by any means. Axl was having vocal problems, and although we didn't play badly, we'd played so much better in the recent past. In any case it was loose and out of tune and punk rock, and for those reasons alone it is something to be recognized'.

While we're all on the subject I have to mention another part of the gig, during Rocket Queen when Axl, having wandered off stage for the second verse, gets a light from Slash and is interrupted by a stage invader who wants to high-five Slash! It's all just so casual and loose and it's brilliant. And then to top it all off Axl disappears again for the end and we get a stunning instrumental blow out. There was no other band like them.

3:24 for the high five!

Yeah that sums it up from the man himself :cool:
    Flicked through it earlier, so many good moments like that in the show. Always something to catch your eye, the mellow intro to 'My Michelle' before blasting it out, Thin Lizzy t-shirt on Axl, leads coming out of the guitars and of course the mighty finish of 'Rocket Queen'.

Steven Adler is showing the effects of those years but still has the touch.

Exhibit A: SCOM 12".

Cheers for clearing that up, Lord Lucan. Was pretty convinced in all honesty that it was from The Ritz.
    Must dust off my ''Appetite for Destruction'' LP and blast it out. Not a weak song on it, favourite album for sure.
    I remember Steven Adler referenced this in a quote a few years ago, he said something along the lines of "the original line up died after 1989, look at the MTV Awards performance, that was the true GNR" or something to that effect - funny enough I've never actually seen this one performance until now. Thanks for sharing!

I didn't feel quite the same about them after the 'Illusion' albums were released. The albums had their moments and some great shows to watch, but the real magic was in that original line up.

Duff McKagan will be playing at the Revolver Golden God's Awards with GN'R on April 23rd.
    Guns N’ Roses fans in North America will get a taste of what their counterparts in the Southern Hemisphere recently experienced. Today (April 21), it was announced that original bassist Duff McKagan will join the group for their upcoming appearance at the Revolver Golden Gods Awards.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/duff-mckagan-guns-n-roses-golden-gods-awards/

Any ideas what Axl, Duff could be talking about, with D.J listening in

c6cbe87cc71f11e39ae70002c954371c_8.jpg

The magic of the original 5 was pure lightning in a bottle. I envy anyone who saw GN'R in their heyday

Any ideas what Axl, Duff could be talking about, with D.J listening in

Probably wondering why the 2 of them are wearing hats on a plane?:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Probably wondering why the 2 of them are wearing hats on a plane?:pac:

"I've had it with these motherfúckin' hats on this motherfúckin' plane!"

This is brilliant

All of Buckethead's solos on Chinese Democracy

• Advertisement

Anybody watch GN'R's set last night - Was it good or bad, any screw ups?

GN'R Setlist from the Revolver Golden God's Awards

01. It’s So Easy
    02. Welcome To The Jungle
    03. Better
    04. This I Love
    05. You Could Be Mine
    06. Sweet Child O’ Mine
    07. Babe I’m Gonna Leave You intro (Led Zeppelin cover)
    08. November Rain
    09. Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
    10. Instrumental Jam
    11. Paradise City

I honestly don't care if Tommy never comes back

I honestly don't care if Tommy never comes back

Nah Tommy will be back for the pay checks

This would be my preferred line up of Guns N' Roses, post original band breaking up.

Axl Rose, Tommy Stinson, Dizzy Reed, Josh Freese, Richard Fortus, Robin Finck

Nah Tommy will be back for the pay checks

Not if his breaks fail.... (rubs hands gleefully)

Though since I live thousands of miles away and know nothing of him, his private schedule or his travel plans I can't imagine doing anything about anything...or my words even meaning **** all....

The best live version of There Was A Time - Hammerstein Ballroom 2006

Anyone else remember some of the songs on Chinese Democracy leaking in 2006/2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Anyone else remember some of the songs on Chinese Democracy leaking in 2006/2007.

Yep 2006 on a bootleg in fact is where I heard them first

Slash on Howard Stern in 1996 - Probably during the couple of months Slash was back in Guns before he left for good.

Part 1.

Part 2.

Part 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Seeing dizzys name being mention above and you'd nearly forget the guy has been in the band for nearly twenty five years. I always wondered why dizzy didn't leave/fired like the rest did.

Advertisement