Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Rumour has it that Slash has blocked the release in some kind of legal wrangle.

Rumour has it as well that Axl did the same thing to Slash's Made In Stoke DVD, that it couldn't be released in the States because of the Guns N' Roses songs........ So Slash probably did the same thing to Axl........ an eye for an eye.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Rumour has it that Axl has a pea for a heart.

Rumour has it that Axl doesn't even have a heart, he only runs on his hatred for Slash

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Rumour has it as well that Axl did the same thing to Slash's Made In Stoke DVD, that it couldn't be released in the States because of the Guns N' Roses songs........ So Slash probably did the same thing to Axl........ an eye for an eye.....

Technically, doesnt Slash have no claim to those songs? He signed over the rights to Guns over 20 years ago. Royalties sure but nothing more.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Technically, doesnt Slash have no claim to those songs? He signed over the rights to Guns over 20 years ago. Royalties sure but nothing more.

Slash has every claim to those songs, songs he had a major part in writing, recording and playing, and he may have signed over the GN'R name 20 years ago (stupid decision realy), but without those songs Axl & his revamped would've have faded away... The GN'R name would've died with dignity..

• Advertisement

Slash has every claim to those songs, songs he had a major part in writing, recording and playing, and he may have signed over the GN'R name 20 years ago (stupid decision realy), but without those songs Axl & his revamped would've have faded away... The GN'R name would've died with dignity..

What claim does he have?

He signed over the rights meaning that isnt an option.

He then walked out of the group, cutting all ties he had to it and them. Had he stayed he would have had a claim but he left them.

Royalties yes, anything else, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

I don't know all the ins and outs but as far as I know Slash only signed over the rights to the Gun N Roses name. Not the songs.

As a songwriter he still earns royalties from those songs and albums.

Whether that gives him the right to block the movies release is debatable.

I'm sure it's all legal mumbo-jumbo anyway.

So Guns N' Roses first gig of 2014 is in Rio De Janeiro - Anybody else feel an Axl Rose Disaster Part III on the cards............ Or will Axl start off this tour all guns blazing (Both vocally & physically)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

So Guns N' Roses first gig of 2014 is in Rio De Janeiro - Anybody else feel an Axl Rose Disaster Part III on the cards............ Or will Axl start off this tour all guns blazing (Both vocally & physically)

I still can't decide if you're a fan or not to be honest based on your comments in this thread....personally I think he's doing really well the last few years...his vocals have improved and they put on entertaining shows - and at the end of the day - that's all that's important. Leave politics, PR and bull**** with the lunatics outside the venue screaming bloody murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,690 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I taught slash and the lads just signed over the rights to the name. I think I read that that's why the logo was changed from the old style because slash designed it(or at least was involved in it).

I think slash can release the old stuff but just not use the GNR name to do it.

• Advertisement

I still can't decide if you're a fan or not to be honest based on your comments in this thread....personally I think he's doing really well the last few years...his vocals have improved and they put on entertaining shows - and at the end of the day - that's all that's important. Leave politics, PR and bull**** with the lunatics outside the venue screaming bloody murder.

I am a fan of Guns N' Roses though slightly biased towards the classic line up ......... I just wish Axl would care more about the people who pay to see him and the band play live....... You think he's doing really well the last few years (That's your opinion), though i'm of the opinion that Axl's vocals can be iffy at the times.... Start of another leg of touring to be precise, and the only reason i mentioned the possibility of another Axl Rose Disaster video ending up on Youtube is because after a whole 10 months of hiding away in his Malibu mansion........ Axl could POSSIBLY end up repeating ROCK IN RIO 2011 - which was also their first show of 2011 (Forgetting the lyrics to November Rain & Patience or The Bridge School Benefit show where he ABSOLUTELY butchered Welcome To The Jungle).

Though when Axl & GN'R do play in Rio....... I sit and hope that Axl comes out on fire both physically & vocally

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Here's the setlist from last night's show
    No new songs played
    :mad:

March 20th, 2014 - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil

Intro music theme from True Detective

Chinese Democracy
    Welcome To The Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr Brownstone
    Estranged
    Better
    Richard Solo
    Live And Let Die
    This I Love
    Teenage Kicks with Tommy on vocals
    Street Of Dreams
    Catcher In The Rye
    You Could be Mine
    DJ Ashba Solo
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    November Rain
    Bumblefoot Solo
    Don't Cry
    Knockin on Heaven's Door
    (jam)
    Nightrain

Encore:

(jam)
    Patience
    (jam)
    Paradise City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

RVD420 wrote: »
    No new songs played

Chinese Democracy
    Welcome To The Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr Brownstone
    Estranged
    Better
    Richard Solo
    Live And Let Die
    This I Love
    Street Of Dreams
    Catcher In The Rye
    You Could be Mine
    DJ Ashba Solo
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    November Rain
    Bumblefoot Solo
    Don't Cry
    Knockin on Heaven's Door
    (jam)
    Nightrain

Encore:

(jam)
    Patience
    (jam)
    Paradise City

That's a lot of breaks for Axl.

No new songs played

Chinese Democracy
    Welcome To The Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr Brownstone
    Estranged
    Better
    Richard Solo
    Live And Let Die
    This I Love
    Street Of Dreams
    Catcher In The Rye
    You Could be Mine
    DJ Ashba Solo
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    November Rain
    Bumblefoot Solo
    Don't Cry
    Knockin on Heaven's Door
    (jam)
    Nightrain

Encore:

(jam)
    Patience
    (jam)
    Paradise City

We're you honestly expecting Guns N' Roses to play new songs,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

With a band like Guns N'Roses (being imho a band from the 80/90's rather than a current band) most of their audience is a nostalgia crowd who don't really want to hear new songs. They just want a rehash of the 1992 Use Your Illusion tour.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    With a band like Guns N'Roses (being imho a band from the 80/90's rather than a current band) most of their audience is a nostalgia crowd who don't really want to hear new songs. They just want a rehash of the 1992 Use Your Illusion tour.

I'd agree that most of the crowd are only at GN'R shows for the nostalgia factor, but it wouldn't hurt the current GN'R to try and put their own stamp on the name & legacy and make an album that could be worthy of sitting alongside Appetite & both Illusions albums.

(The current GN'R will NEVER EVER MAKE AN ALBUM AS GOOD AS APPETITE OR THE ILLUSIONS)

Though if Axl is happy touring 25 & 22 years old material respectively and some of the stuff from Chinese... Then I wish him well. Shame he just couldn't keep the fire burning

Almost a quarter of the songs there are from Chinese Democracy. Considering that was the latest album, it's a decent return. I'd be shocked if they played brand new material before their is confirmation that another album is in the works.

Also, those jams used to often be early versions of final songs. Assuming they still do that, there could have been new songs but we just dont know it yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,343 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't think they can to be honest. Without an Izzy Stradlin, who co wrote many of the better songs and came up with alot of riffs or a Slash to push the boundaries of the Rock n Roll lifestyle, I don't see where the artistic creation or the hard living inspiration that produced so many rock classics will come from.

The band were so exciting in the late 80's and early 90's and drew millions of fans who had no interest in pop music but wanted something edgier than the Poisons or Bon Jovis of the era. Now they are seen as a relic with a rather odd lead singer fronting a group of anonymous musicians. 1993 or 94 was the time for new material. Now that ship has long sailed. We might buy the new stuff but we will never love it like we loved Appetite or Illusions*.

It is a musical tragedy what happened to that band as I would dearly love another couple of GNR albums in my collection. They were and still are the band that I loved more than any other but as far as their current line up goes I am sad to say I don't really care.

*well most of Illusions with obvious exceptions. My World?? You Aint the first??? So Fine??????

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Almost a quarter of the songs there are from Chinese Democracy. Considering that was the latest album, it's a decent return. I'd be shocked if they played brand new material before their is confirmation that another album is in the works.

Also, those jams used to often be early versions of final songs. Assuming they still do that, there could have been new songs but we just dont know it yet.

That happened with Prostitute in 2006, it was if memory serves Axl's prelude to November Rain..... Then again Axl could've have 1000's of jams recorded over the last 20 years, only for them to be stashed on cd's locked away never to see the light of day

We're you honestly expecting Guns N' Roses to play new songs,

Yes.

Over the last couple of years various members of the band (mainly GNR spokesman, DJ Ashba) have been talking it up that a new album is "in the works" "top of the list" "lots of great ideas" etc., so after all this time surely they've got something new they could play, but it doesn't look that way.

Even if there's nothing brand new there's tons of Chinese Democracy material, that didn't make the album, lying in a vault in Axl's house ("at least 4 CDs worth of material", Sebastian Bach - former GNR spokesman). We've all read about these alleged songs "The General", "Zodiac", "Jackie Chan" etc., maybe they could have surprised the audience with one or two of these?

Hell, most fans would be happy to hear them play "Going Down" live, another one that didn't make Chinese Democracy, but exists "in the vault" and is out there if you know where to look. ;)

But no. Same ol' setlist once again. The site I got the setlist from had the True Detective theme listed as track 4, which kinda got me excited to hear their cover version of it, but after checking Jarmo's twitter feed the track was only used as the intro, like Dexter theme was used previously. Ah well, at least we know Axl's new favourite tv show. :rolleyes:

Am interested in hearing Tommy Stinson doing Teenage Kicks, apart from that...meh.

• Advertisement

Yes.

Over the last couple of years various members of the band (mainly GNR spokesman, DJ Ashba) have been talking it up that a new album is "in the works" "top of the list" "lots of great ideas" etc., so after all this time surely they've got something new they could play, but it doesn't look that way.

Even if there's nothing brand new there's tons of Chinese Democracy material, that didn't make the album, lying in a vault in Axl's house ("at least 4 CDs worth of material", Sebastian Bach - former GNR spokesman). We've all read about these alleged songs "The General", "Zodiac", "Jackie Chan" etc., maybe they could have surprised the audience with one or two of these?

Hell, most fans would be happy to hear them play "Going Down" live, another one that didn't make Chinese Democracy, but exists "in the vault" and is out there if you know where to look. ;)

But no. Same ol' setlist once again. The site I got the setlist from had the True Detective theme listed as track 4, which kinda got me excited to hear their cover version of it, but after checking Jarmo's twitter feed the track was only used as the intro, like Dexter theme was used previously. Ah well, at least we know Axl's new favourite tv show. :rolleyes:

Am interested in hearing Tommy Stinson doing Teenage Kicks, apart from that...meh.

First of all, BELIEVE nothing that D.J Ashba says, the man is a liar....... The only way we'll hear these supposed ''4 cd's worth of material'' is when Axl eventually kicks the bucket....... His ''management'' will cash in to their hearts content....... It's all nostalgia now with a few Chinese songs thrown in.... If it's Axl who's picks the intro songs, then he has good taste in television shows.

First of all, BELIEVE nothing that D.J Ashba says, the man is a liar....... The only way we'll hear these supposed ''4 cd's worth of material'' is when Axl eventually kicks the bucket....... His ''management'' will cash in to their hearts content....... It's all nostalgia now with a few Chinese songs thrown in.... If it's Axl who's picks the intro songs, then he has good taste in television shows.

Oh believe me I know DJ Slashba is a big time spoofer, only there to flog his overpriced "Ashba-swag" rubbish and to use GNR gigs to advertise for Monster energy drink, so I take everything he says with a billion grains of salt. But when Richard Fortus was talking about a new album I was optimistic as he's not known for talking crap. I also doubt it's 4 cds worth of material, as Bach said. Remember this is the same Sebastian Bach who described Sorry as "doom metal" ha ha. :pac:

Axl did a Q&A a few years ago on HTGTH and his login was "Dexter". He was asked about this and he said it's after his favourite tv show. Around this time they began using the Dexter theme was the intro, so I'm guessing the same is happening now with the True Detective theme. Either way, a savage show!

They used to have a segment of "The General" playing as the intro music before getting replaced by the Dexter theme music, so that song is recorded, but for whatever reason it doesn't look like it's going to see the light of day anytime soon.

I'd love to hear another GNR record but won't hold my breath. Most fans would be happy if they re-released Chinese Democracy as a 2 disc, with the second disk being various demo tracks that were left over from the CD recording sessions, but the perfectionist in Axl probably won't allow that to happen. Which is madness, as most would much prefer to hear demos with Buckethead and Robin Finck playing on them rather than an album where Axl lets Slashba's generic playing completely take over... Bumblefoot is a beast of a player, Fortus too for that matter. Kinda funny that the so-called "lead guitarist" is technically the worst guitarist in the band. :confused:

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    *well most of Illusions with obvious exceptions. My World?? You Aint the first??? So Fine??????

I like that :(
    That happened with Prostitute in 2006, it was if memory serves Axl's prelude to November Rain..... Then again Axl could've have 1000's of jams recorded over the last 20 years, only for them to be stashed on cd's locked away never to see the light of day

I think there were a few others too but they were changed (again) before the album came along. So they are mostly just similar-ish.
    "at least 4 CDs worth of material", Sebastian Bach - former GNR spokesman

I wouldnt believe Sabastian Bach if he told me the day of the week :pac:
    They used to have a segment of "The General" playing as the intro music before getting replaced by the Dexter theme music, so that song is recorded, but for whatever reason it doesn't look like it's going to see the light of day anytime soon.

Axl may have soured on it. Seemed to be what happened with Silkworms. That was leaked and played live somewhere around 2002 and has rarely been seen or heard of since. If Axl no longer likes it, it's gone for the foreseeable future.

Oh believe me I know DJ Slashba is a big time spoofer, only there to flog his overpriced "Ashba-swag" rubbish and to use GNR gigs to advertise for Monster energy drink, so I take everything he says with a billion grains of salt. But when Richard Fortus was talking about a new album I was optimistic as he's not known for talking crap. I also doubt it's 4 cds worth of material, as Bach said. Remember this is the same Sebastian Bach who described Sorry as "doom metal" ha ha. :pac:

Axl did a Q&A a few years ago on HTGTH and his login was "Dexter". He was asked about this and he said it's after his favourite tv show. Around this time they began using the Dexter theme was the intro, so I'm guessing the same is happening now with the True Detective theme. Either way, a savage show!

I'd love to hear another GNR record but won't hold my breath. Most fans would be happy if they re-released Chinese Democracy as a 2 disc, with the second disk being various demo tracks that were left over from the CD recording sessions, but the perfectionist in Axl probably won't allow that to happen. Which is madness, as most would much prefer to hear demos with Buckethead and Robin Finck playing on them rather than an album where Axl lets Slashba's generic playing completely take over... Bumblefoot is a beast of a player, Fortus too for that matter. Kinda funny that the so-called "lead guitarist" is technically the worst guitarist in the band. :confused:

I thought the same thing because Richard Fortus isn't one to go running his mouth off like another certain guitarist in the band, won't name names but you know yourself who he is. As far as Sebastian Bach goes..... I think he's just like the rest of us in a way, patiently waiting for the next GN'R album...... If you head to Youtube there are snippets of the mythical ''The General'' available, it doesn't have vocals though, there are 1999 versions of a few songs on Chinese Democracy available on Youtube

I've always said it, If Axl does release the rest of the Chinese Democracy sessions, he should leave this as they are, untouched & unedited....... I was kinda iffy about Bumblefoot at first, but that opinion has changed.... He ain't afraid to speak his mind, and he's brilliant with fans............ As far as DJ Ashba goes, he's blacklisted in my book, the dude can't even play Robin Finck's solo in This I Love note for note

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

lying in a vault in Axl's house ("at least 4 CDs DVDs worth of material", Sebastian Bach - former GNR spokesman). We've all read about these alleged movies "The General", "Zodiac", "Jackie Chan" etc.,

FYP :)

I've always believed that Axl will have to die before the bulk of any material is heard. And I've got a good 15 years on him so let's see what happens!

So if Axl kicks the bucket at 67, you're expecting a truckload of posthumous releases?

(Or Axl could just leak the songs himself)

Ladies & Gentlemen the death knell to Guns N' Roses

Axl just give it up you can't ****ing do it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

Axl just give it up you can't ****ing do it anymore

Ouch that is painful

• Advertisement

I think we're going around in circles on this thread somehow

Advertisement