Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Ladies & Gentlemen the death knell to Guns N' Roses

Axl just give it up you can't ****ing do it anymore

Sweet jesus that is just sorrowful... :eek:

It really is just as well there was no reunion, imagine hearing the songs you grew up with and loved being absolutely destroyed by a man whose best days are so far behind him that it's a wonder he can remember who he is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Slash, Matt, Duff, Gilby, Steven & Myles do the GN'R songs more justice than Axl and his band

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Slash, Matt, Duff, Gilby, Steven & Myles do the GN'R songs more justice than Axl and his band

Oh how I hate listening to Myles Kennedy sing

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Oh how I hate listening to Myles Kennedy sing

Everybody's different, though you can't deny the fact that he does a damn better job singing the GN'R songs than Axl does

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Everybody's different, though you can't deny the fact that he does a damn better job singing the GN'R songs than Axl does

Undoubtedly, but there must be someone better than Myles Kennedy. Or is a high pitched nasal tone necessary for Guns N Roses?

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Undoubtedly, but there must be someone better than Myles Kennedy. Or is a high pitched nasal tone necessary for Guns N Roses?

I think Slash picked him to front his solo band, because Myles doesn't come with any baggage, unlike 2 of Slash's former frontmen...... Answers on a postcard as to who those 2 frontmen would be

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

He is also nearly 10 years younger. Hardly a shock that someone younger is able to do something better when it requires so much energy.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He is also nearly 10 years younger. Hardly a shock that someone younger is able to do something better when it requires so much energy.

Myles is actually 9 years younger than Axl

Myles is actually 9 years younger than Axl

I assume you misread what I said? :confused:

I said almost 10. You cant get much closer than 9.

I assume you misread what I said? :confused:

My bad, i did misread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

It's one older.

ozzy jr wrote: »

It's one older.

That would be "over 10" rather than "almost 10" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Setlist from the show on the 22nd:

March 22nd, 2014 - Belo Horizonte, Brazil

True Detective Intro
    Chinese Democracy
    Welcome To The Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr Brownstone
    Estranged
    Better
    Richard Solo
    Live And Let Die
    This I Love
    Rocket Queen
    Teenage Kicks
    Band Intros
    Dizzy's solo/Catcher
    YCBM
    Dj's solo/Bella/SCOM
    Jam/NR
    Bumblefoot solo/Abnormal/Don't Cry
    KOHD
    Jam/Nightrain

Encore:
    Jam/Patience
    Seeker
    Jam/PC

Another show tonight, not expecting many changes to the setlist :mad:

RVD420 wrote: »
    Setlist from the show on the 22nd:

March 22nd, 2014 - Belo Horizonte, Brazil

True Detective Intro
    Chinese Democracy
    Welcome To The Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr Brownstone
    Estranged
    Better
    Richard Solo
    Live And Let Die
    This I Love
    Rocket Queen
    Teenage Kicks
    Band Intros
    Dizzy's solo/Catcher
    YCBM
    Dj's solo/Bella/SCOM
    Jam/NR
    Bumblefoot solo/Abnormal/Don't Cry
    KOHD
    Jam/Nightrain

Encore:
    Jam/Patience
    Seeker
    Jam/PC

Another show tonight, not expecting many changes to the setlist :mad:

Axl's riding the nostalgia train to the end....

RVD420 wrote: »
    not expecting many changes to the setlist :mad:

You must be new to Guns N' Roses. Ever since the Illusion tours they have rarely changed the set list show to show. The order may change but it was nearly always from the same bank of songs.

The Illusions tour set list was at least switched around....... Songs were never in the same order

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

The Illusions tour set list was at least switched around....... Songs were never in the same order

They'd throw in the odd "unexpected numbers" like when they changed the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine from Sail Away Sweet Sister to Since I Don't Have You and when Gilby changed his solo from Wild Horses to Happiness Is A Warm Gun, things like that.

Even just looking at set lists from the Illusions World tour............. For example Tokyo Dome 12/1/93 Welcome To The Jungle, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Attitude, Bad Obsession, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Happiness Is A Warm Gun/ Patience, My Michelle, It's Alright/ November Rain, Drum Solo, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, Sweet Child O' Mine, Don't Cry, Only Women Bleed/Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Estranged, Mother/ Paradise City

Then 3 nights later on the 15th a different set list with a few changes in song order It's So Easy, Welcome To The Jungle, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Nightrain, So Fine, Attitude, Double Talkin' Jive, Civil War, Wild Horses/ Patience, It's Alright/November Rain, Bad Obsession, Drum Solo, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo, Godfather Theme, The One/ Sweet Child O' Mine, Only Women Bleed/Knockin' On Heaven's Door [w/ Ronnie Wood], Don't Cry, Mother/Paradise City

If i were going to a GN'R show, i'd rather a different setlist than what they're sticking with currently, or change the setlist around, use Jungle as the opener, then go from there

Not much difference in the set lists.

First show:
    My Michelle
    Estranged

Second show:
    It's So Easy (Very surprised by that being left out the first night)
    Nightrain
    So Fine

As I originally said, always from the same bank of songs. Estranged is a long one so that would count as two from the second show. Tiny changes for the set list, just the order is done different. The current set list order seems to be done so the song "fit" together as best as possible. That WTTJ/ISE/Mr. Brownstone trio works incredibly well together. Likewise for Dont Cry/KOHD. The set list is put together in a deliberate manner whereas it used to just be "fcuk it, we'll play whatever song we feel like playing next" My Michelle and It's Alright doesnt really go together in my book.

Would be nice to get a bit more variety alright but everything is set out very specifically these days.

Not sure if anybody has seen this, but it's Axl's social commentary essay included in the currently unreleased alternate booklets for Chinese Democracy

Quiet a lengthy read,

Fear N' Freedom: The Future of China and Western Society

What if you lived in constant fear... knowing that you could be arrested at any time without cause; without warning; thrown in prison; tried and convicted; sentenced with virtually no chance for appeal or reprieve; even executed without representation by a jury or family?

What if you were informed by the government that you and your family were allowed to visit your loved one in prison, but before you were allowed to do so, you were suddenly informed that without notice the State had them executed?

What if the degree of force brought against much less than minor misdemeanors - or outright innocence - was as extreme as for the strongest offenses and nearly a part of your every existing minute? What if you knew that a friend or a family member, a loved one, could be ripped from your life instantly with little or no recourse?

What if nearly everyone and anyone could literally be a government informant for information regarding remedial discussions in areas of human rights; Buddhism, Tibet, the Dali Lama, different systems of government, religion or spirituality or conversing about and with anything other than disdain for the way of life, government and commerce in western society? If you were born into such a predicament and circumstance, what would you do?

What if you felt so helpless and afraid that you were compelled to sell your own child you love because you cannot afford the financial penalty and other consequences due to China's 'one-child' rule?

What if your contact with the world outside your country was controlled by your government to the degree that you had no real awareness of even basic global current events? What if you lived in a country where the discussion of a word associated with the name of your country, such as "democracy," in any manner but disdain could bring severe consequences, what would you do?

In my opinion, on some level what obviously is an understatement, is that the true core of a multifaceted perception, and the reality of life for an entire country with the largest population in the world - and my particular focus - is that you would suffer... daily. Unless your mind and/or education could maneuver through the minefield of communist law enforcement and government bureaucracy, where the risk is so real and psychologically devastating that living in obvious fear and denial are nearly positive forms of action, reaction, and daily survival or protection for yourself and loved ones... You would see suffering and you may even choose to simply see suffering as a means of survival.

I have no disrespect for the People of The Republic of China whatsoever. In fact, for reasons I can't explain, I have a deeply rooted and firm respect, compassion and love for the Chinese people.

Our song, "Chinese Democracy," in its irreverence, is for positive purposes and communication with all segments of society; music fans (Guns N' Roses fans in particular) and, especially, the western media, to open a dialogue in areas not necessarily focused on both current events and global social responsibilities.

When I was fortunate enough to visit both Hong Kong and Mainland China, I experienced different levels of fear at all times in relation to the particular area I visited. I did not experience the fear in the sense of having feared for myself, I witnessed it in others everywhere around me, and kept my demeanor calm, observant and extremely polite. What I felt was emotional heartbreak. I've never witnessed so many individuals going about their lives in such a degree of visible fear, especially the average citizen in the spectrum of social, economic or social position. The military were nearby in some form or another, from one lone sentry to marching drill teams. It was not like a movie as it was much more extreme in the sense that this was real. I did not ask or talk about any of these issues with anyone in public.

The use of the two words "Chinese" and "Democracy" was intentional, though perhaps not in the way many may think. I do not purport to know what system of government is best for the people of China. I feel that the prejudice and closed mindedness of at least many outspoken Guns N' Roses fans seems to warrant an awareness of the realities of a constantly evolving and ever growing world where China continues to play an ever increasing role.

China, whether anyone likes it or not, will become more and more a part of our daily lives and an integral force to the future of our planet. To that, without acquainting ourselves to severe realities of China as a super power, with all she has to offer and brings both to the future and into our lives, this continuing transition will be less than pleasant and can go in diverse directions most would feel are either inhibiting, unacceptable or unconscionable. Yet, economics and government position could force us into accepting these conditions, as is the case now.

There is no way I can touch on all the issues important to such a subject here. Nor do I claim to be an authority or even knowledgeable of all the facts of China. What I do claim, as an inhabitant of our world, that through my own eyes I have perceived a deep level of pain not evident in the average citizen in western society that is directly related to how the people in China are governed. Why would a government want their people to be under such a level of fear, stress and emotional bondage?

I do not entertain delusions that change will happen overnight. What I do know is that whether anyone likes it or not, China is coming and she brings an oppressive force with her beyond anything we have experienced in our daily lives and until we familiarize ourselves, it will be increasingly difficult for many. Tensions may prove much more taxing than need be and have many unsatisfactory conclusions.

Basic human rights are at the forefront of these concerns, not just for China but for the planet. The obligation to offer and maintain these rights for ourselves and all citizens of this planet is a responsibility shared by all. The request and plea is for the government of China to recognize that her people love her and give all that they must to see her survive. China can prosper, grow and thrive without the unnecessary level of fear instilled by the government and the intolerable degree of oppression, social and basic human rights abuse exercised by those in power.

Religious freedoms, those chosen by the people and not the government, and the recognition and respect of cultures and religions of others is imperative to both the health of the nation and the planet as a whole. Those who rule with fear in my opinion have a deeper and greater fear that rules them from inside (which must be addressed, diminished and steered in alternate directions), than those that form the basis for governing people who willingly seek to follow, fight for and love their country.

Please forgive me if I've said too much or you feel this is not my place or my business. As an inhabitant of our planet, I respectfully disagree as in my opinion this is our obligation to each other.

These are merely a few thoughts out of many to keep in mind as we move forward in this century. Thank you for taking the time to read some of mine.

All the best and God Bless, Sincerely, Axl Rose

• Advertisement

I'm fairly confident this isn't an April Fool's joke as nothing would really be gained and no conformation has been made

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-rumored-to-be-reuniting-with-guns-n-roses-for-south-american-shows/

I'm fairly confident this isn't an April Fool's joke as nothing would really be gained and no conformation has been made

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/duff-mckagan-rumored-to-be-reuniting-with-guns-n-roses-for-south-american-shows/

I think it's legitimate as Duff has tweeted about it, and Tommy Stinson has a few weeks of shows with The Replacements
    Argentina, Paraguay, Bolivia, Brazil! See y'all in the next few weeks, Si? GNR.

BkFTRxQCAAERAIV.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I love the playlist.

I wonder did Duff do it himself as he has Attitude in there twice and So Fine at the end:D

I don't think that's Duff's handwriting, looks more like Axl's, but i could be wrong

Found 3 Soundclouds accounts with a lot of GN'R material, both classic era & revamped GN'R

https://soundcloud.com/mrstreetofdreams

https://soundcloud.com/mr-street-of-dreams-2

https://soundcloud.com/mr-street-of-dreams-3

ENJOY

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It's good that it appears that axl and duff are still on good terms after the O2 gig in london a few years ago. I see HTGTH is still a fun place as I went on there after i read the news. Some people there see this thing as something awful and negative.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's good that it appears that axl and duff are still on good terms after the O2 gig in london a few years ago. I see HTGTH is still a fun place as I went on there after i read the news. Some people there see this thing as something awful and negative.

I think it is kinda cool that Duff & Axl are on speaking terms, hell Axl as far as i know has buried the hatchet with everyone bar Slash. The way i see it and this is my opinion, GN'R fans are split into 2 category's, on one side of the fence the posters on HTGTH who will defend Axl no matter what he does or how **** he sounds vocally or if he's fat & outta breath, and on the other side of the coin are the people who have some kinda hope that the original Appetite/Lies/Illusions era Guns reunite

Though it would be cool if Duff guesting with Guns would provide Axl with the fire to get of his arse and make sure his current version of Guns won't be remembered as a nostalgic act

I would be personally very excited if Tommy stepped away on a full time basis and Duff came back, but, I don't think it's very likely. Tommy has been with GNR now since (at best reports) at least 1998 so it's unlikely that after 16 years he'd be prepared to walk away easily.

People might just argue that it's Axl's band so ultimately he makes all the decisions but, in truth, Tommy has really paid his dues - along the same lines as Chris Pittman and Dizzy Reed - so these guys are unlikely to be compromised

And I reckon Duff wouldn't come back full time anyway considering he has openly spoken about only doing these recent GNR reunion shows because he was so drunk he can't remember a lot of what happened when he originally played with the band. Best we can hope for is a show with McKagan and Stradlin joining Rose onstage for a quick number

Speaking of which, anyone know if that movie is still being released somewhere? Will it be on Blu Ray to buy somewhere?

I would imagine that Tommy would be able to walk away from Guns if he chose, he's probably saved a lot of money since he joined in 1998, I'd be happy to see Pitman gone as I don't think he serves any kind of purpose, Dizzy's been a GN'R member since the early 90's doubt he'd leave.... Duff was hammered during the the later years (1990-1994), but eventually stopped drinking when his pancreas went kaboom..... I'd welcome a semi reunion, having Duff, Izzy & Axl on the same stage would be cool to see. The Vegas Blu Ray has been shelved indefinitely as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

You must be new to Guns N' Roses. Ever since the Illusion tours they have rarely changed the set list show to show. The order may change but it was nearly always from the same bank of songs.

Nope. The polar opposite, as it goes...

Anyway, set list from March 30th show:

Intro
    01- Chinese Democracy
    02- Welcome To The Jungle
    03- It's So Easy
    04- Mr. Brownstone
    05- Better
    06- Estranged -cut-
    07- Rocket Queen
    08- NICE BOYS!
    09- Estranged -replayed-
    10- Richard Fortus Guitar Solo
    1- Live And Let Die
    12- Tommy Stinson Solo
    13- Dizzy Reed Solo
    14- Catcher In The Rye
    15- You Could Be Mine
    16- DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
    17- Sweet Child Of Mine
    18- Instrumental Jam
    19- November Rain
    20- Abnormal
    21- Don't Cry
    22- Civil War
    23- Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    24- Nightrain
    25- Patience
    26- The Seeker
    27- Paradise City

With Duff filling in for Tommy for a few dates I dare say we can forget about hearing anything new at those shows. Still, great to have Duff back, if only for a while \m/ :D

Advertisement