Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

For all we know, maybe Axl had it redone during his hiatuses, wasn't it/or is it a demo track that was rushed in to be included in End Of Days

I seriously wonder how Axl's hired hands can keep wheeling out the same tired lines about new music every time said question comes up in an interview.

"That's the plan, although we haven't really discussed it for a while. There's a lot of stuff people need to hear that's ready to come out. It's gonna happen, I just don't have an actual date for you yet. My fingers are crossed, but they're getting a little bit looser. I think it'll be happening soon."

You wouldn't see any other band in rock/metal starve their fans of new music.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I get the feeling that Dizzy has lasted as long as he has by being Axl's Yes Man. He will never say anything concrete or controversial for fear of ripping up his meal ticket.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I get the feeling that Dizzy has lasted as long as he has by being Axl's Yes Man. He will never say anything concrete or controversial for fear of ripping up his meal ticket.

I can only imagine the story's Dizzy has gathered since the original GN'R imploded, Axl's hired hands must really value their paycheck then - which leads me to thinking surely they would be placed on retainers while GN'R are inactive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Dizzy was always a little soft and fluffy for my liking and didn't have the hard edge that the other members had (in early 90's). He is probably the only one (along with Matt Sorum) that could tell a good story through relatively sober eyes though.

I would say the current members are more like employees than an actual band receiving set fees etc. Axl surely takes the lions share of any income.

• Advertisement

Dizzy was always a little soft and fluffy for my liking and didn't have the hard edge that the other members had (in early 90's). He is probably the only one (along with Matt Sorum) that could tell a good story through relatively sober eyes though.

I would say the current members are more like employees than an actual band receiving set fees etc. Axl surely takes the lions share of any income.

Now those are 2 books i'd be interested in reading, would royalties from the classic songs & the songs written by the revamped GN'R post original lineup also be taken into account when Axl pays his employees?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I seriously wonder how Axl's hired hands can keep wheeling out the same tired lines about new music every time said question comes up in an interview.

You wouldn't see any other band in rock/metal starve their fans of new music.
    So that's a maybe then about new stuff being released ? I used to check daily about gnr stuff but I can't remember the last time I even listened to any of the songs it's been that long.

Now those are 2 books i'd be interested in reading, would royalties from the classic songs & the songs written by the revamped GN'R post original lineup also be taken into account when Axl pays his employees?

Dizzys book might be interesting for the post classic line up break up I suppose. Wouldn't read a book by matt if it came out.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Dizzys book might be interesting for the post classic line up break up I suppose. Wouldn't read a book by matt if it came out.

I wonder, If Dizzy ever did release an autobiography, would Axl let him talk openly about the hiatuses & delays in making Chinese Democracy and all the other **** that started to surface during the classic line up's implosion

I wonder, If Dizzy ever did release an autobiography, would Axl let him talk openly about the hiatuses & delays in making Chinese Democracy and all the other **** that started to surface during the classic line up's implosion

Could Axl actually stop him ?

• Advertisement

I'm sure Axl could stop Dizzy from disclosing such information through legal means.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Not really, assuming Dizzy was no longer a part of the band. Anything negative he would need proof of or else he could wind up in court so it's unlikely to happen.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Not really, assuming Dizzy was no longer a part of the band. Anything negative he would need proof of or else he could wind up in court so it's unlikely to happen.

And Axl has a certain fondness, for lack of a better word for launching legal action.

Well he hasn't stopped slash,duff and steven releasing their books and if he wasn't happy I'm sure he has the means to lauch a legal battle about stuff he felt was untrue in the books.

The only way for Axl to have his final say is to release a autobiography. His silence for years while his ex band mates and others were ****ting all over him helped those perceptions of him become reality due Axl saying nothing.

Well he hasn't stopped slash,duff and steven releasing their books and if he wasn't happy I'm sure he has the means to lauch a legal battle about stuff he felt was untrue in the books.

The only way for Axl to have his final say is to release a autobiography. His silence for years while his ex band mates and others were ****ting all over him helped those perceptions of him become reality due Axl saying nothing.

Not in this lifetime, Slash and Duff only touched on Axl a bit, they didn't go deep into detail about him, not sure what Steven said about Axl in his book though.

Not in this lifetime, Slash and Duff only touched on Axl a bit, they didn't go deep into detail about him, not sure what Steven said about Axl in his book though.

I think steven went a bit further but he didn't go overboard I don't think. I'd have to read it again in fairness. Stevens book isn't a very happy book.

I think steven went a bit further but he didn't go overboard I don't think. I'd have to read it again in fairness. Stevens book isn't a very happy book.

Well given how Steven was booted out the band (Though his own fault he got booted out), if i were a betting man, i'd be almost certain that he still holds that grudge all these years later.

Well given how Steven was booted out the band (Though his own fault he got booted out), if i were a betting man, i'd be almost certain that he still holds that grudge all these years later.

Yeah but the unfortunate thing about steven being kicked out(and rightly so) of the band, is we got matt sorum who while a excellent drummer just comes across as a dickhead. The vh1 documentary about VR finding a singer doesn't help me impression of him. Duff has a go at him during that doc as he is just so negative.

Yeah but the unfortunate thing about steven being kicked out(and rightly so) of the band, is we got matt sorum who while a excellent drummer just comes across as a dickhead. The vh1 documentary about VR finding a singer doesn't help me impression of him. Duff has a go at him during that doc as he is just so negative.

I wonder how different the Illusions albums would've sounded had GN'R found someone else to drum for them....... Matt Sorum does come across as a bit of a bellend.

I wonder how different the Illusions albums would've sounded had GN'R found someone else to drum for them....... Matt Sorum does come across as a bit of a bellend.

That being said though Stevens drumming sound suited the appetite sound perfectly but could he have pulled off the illusion songs ? Maybe but as you say it would have sounded very different.

• Advertisement

That being said though Stevens drumming sound suited the appetite sound perfectly but could he have pulled off the illusion songs ? Maybe but as you say it would have sounded very different.

No-one can deny that Steven's drumming on Appetite is spot on, the drums had a certain pull to them, whereas on the Illusions albums, Matt's drumming sounds really robotic though not his fault, those songs were written or at some stage of completion before he joined.

Nothing kills the mood at a concert more than a 20 minute drum solo from Matt Sorum. A lot of the Illusion tour shows would have been so much better with another drummer.

Nothing kills the mood at a concert more than a 20 minute drum solo from Matt Sorum. A lot of the Illusion tour shows would have been so much better with another drummer.

Guitar solos I can handle, drum solos eh not so much

The last 4 minutes of Coma after the guitar solo, are probably the best thing lyrically Axl has ever written.

Well he didn't get the name Matt borum for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Guitar solos I can handle, drum solos eh not so much

One solo per gig is enough, whether it be guitar, drum, piano or whatever. GnR take the piss with one every couple of songs. It ruins any momentum that is building.

I remember the Slane gig. Sorum's solo seemed to go on forever. Everyone seemed bored by it. I doubt it was his call to have a drum solo in the gig anyway. Probably just a convenient way for the others to have a 'coffee' break.

I remember the Slane gig. Sorum's solo seemed to go on forever. Everyone seemed bored by it. I doubt it was his call to have a drum solo in the gig anyway. Probably just a convenient way for the others to have a 'coffee' break.

I'm sure he had no problem with agreeing to it!

A short extended intro to YCBM is pretty much the only time a drum solo is acceptable. Sorum just took the piss with his.

The last 4 minutes of Coma after the guitar solo, are probably the best thing lyrically Axl has ever written.

My favourite part of any gnr song. And the phone part in KOHD is my least favourite part.

• Advertisement

I much prefer this version of you're crazy to to the appetite version.

Advertisement