Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'd welcome a semi reunion, having Duff, Izzy & Axl on the same stage would be cool to see.

That would be great actually. Good fun.

I'm hoping Duff makes some plectrums with GNR on one side and his signature on the other for these shows - and I hope I can get one of them from a trader online etc

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah having Duff & Izzy back for a few shows would be fun for those who get to see them, actually now that Duff has rejoined GN'R on a temporary basis.... Will he be playing The Golden Gods Awards Show with GN'R in Los Angeles later next month??

And for all the ragging i do on Axl, his acoustic guitar playing on There Was A Time is brilliant,
    https://soundcloud.com/mr-street-of-dreams-2/axl-rose-acoustic-guitar

(well worth a listen, Axl's acoustic guitar serves as the base to Robin's solo during the song)

Tommy Stinson has commented on his temporary departure from Guns N' Roses
    "I had those Replacement shows come up the same time the (South American) tour came up, and it got to be a scheduling issue right out of the gate," Stinson tells Billboard. "I didn't want to **** anyone up in Guns by saying, 'Hey, I can't do this tour' or anything like that. Luckily someone was able to reach out to Duff and he was amenable to the idea and was into doing it. It's Duff being the kind of good sport he is, trying to help Axl (Rose) out. So I'm like, 'Thanks dude, for covering my ass on this one.' I think people are gonna be really stoked about it. It's gonna be fun for everyone."

Stinson also confirmed that Duff rehearsed with GN'R in Los Angeles last month, and he also hinted at a follow up to Chinese Democracy
    "There's rumblings of other things to come but I'm not sure what those would be at this point I hope we would ****ing throw ourselves in the studio and make another record,"

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6029516/duff-mckagan-reuniting-with-guns-n-roses-to-help-axl-out-says-tommy-stinson

GN'R setlist from last night *First of 5 shows with Duff McKagan on bass*

Chinese Democracy
    Welcome To The Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr. Brownstone
    Estranged
    Rocket Queen
    Nice Boys
    Attitude
    Raw Power (First ever live performance)
    My Michelle
    Better
    Richard Fortus Solo
    Live And Let Die
    This I Love
    Dizzy Reed Solo
    Catcher In The Rye
    You Could Be Mine
    DJ Ashba Solo
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    Jam
    November Rain
    Bumblefoot Solo (Abnormal?)
    Don't Cry
    Used To Love Her
    Civil War
    Shackler's Revenge
    Knockin' On Heaven's Door
    Jam
    Nightrain
    ---
    Patience
    The Seeker
    Paradise City

Some food for thought. What if Axl had been found guilty and jailed after the shenanigans of July 2nd 1991, would the lengthy prison sentence (Not sure what the jail time for starting a riot in the U.S is), have done Axl some good & would the classic line up of Guns N' Roses be still together or would it all have come crashing down all around them eventually.

And before anyone replies, i know that Axl didn't start the riot.

• Advertisement

Some food for thought. What if Axl had been found guilty and jailed after the shenanigans of July 2nd 1991, would the lengthy prison sentence (Not sure what the jail time for starting a riot in the U.S is), have done Axl some good & would the classic line up of Guns N' Roses be still together or would it all have come crashing down all around them eventually.

According to an article in Spin Magazine from 1991, Axl spent no more than 10 days in a County Jail in Indiana as an adult before - while he was on bail (or license) - fleeing from his latest prosecution he travelled to LA in search of Izzy Stradlin. While he did have a prior record it wouldn't have warranted any sort of extended prison time should he have been found guilty of the most serious offence in 1992.

In the aftermath of the riot Axl Rose was held responsible by law enforcement officials and charged with four separate assault charges, but they had to wait almost a year, before they could fully charge and bring the singer to court. The case was proceeded over in late 1992 and the Judge dismissed the most serious charge against Axl (which carried some heavy prison time) saying that Rose did not personally incite the riot.

His behavior, naturally, didn’t help although there was still a suspended probation order given to Rose and various media reports printed at the time slammed the venue for selling alcohol against licensing laws at the dry venue. Guns N Roses were also banned from St. Louis for life and Rose was given a $50,000 personal fine. During their introduction at the MTV VMA’s later that year the band were introduced with the tagline “here between court dates, Guns N’ Roses”

I personally believe if he'd been given a sentence it would have been suspended - especially due to the fact that he could have paid a massive bail bond/fine and also because rich people tend not to go to jail in the US, or if they do, they go to another type of jail (see Wolf of Wall St)

I also think Axl might not have learnt anything and that GNR might have broken up sooner if that happened, especially when you consider their "new album" had only been released a year previously and they wouldn't have been able to do two years of touring which they'd yet to do at that stage. It also would have meant Steven Adler's case against GNR couldn't have been heard while Rose was serving time in jail so that - in his absense - might have contributed more to Geffen simply pulling the plug on all financial involvement and/or bankrolling the group.

Of course you might say Axl had the last laugh. Use Your Illusion I and II’s artwork featured a hidden message midst the Thank You section of the album insert: “F**k You, St. Louis!” – lovely!

GN'R Setlist from their first ever show in Bolivia

Far From Any Road (True Detective theme music)
    You Could Be Mine - First time since 1991, YCBM was used as an opener
    You're Crazy
    Chinese Democracy
    Welcome to the Jungle
    It's So Easy
    Mr. Brownstone
    Estranged
    Rocket Queen
    Attitude (Duff McKagan on lead vocals)
    Raw Power (Duff McKagan on lead vocals)
    Better
    Dizzy Reed Piano Solo
    Live and Let Die
    This I Love
    Richard Fortus Guitar Solo
    Civil War
    DJ Ashba Guitar Solo
    Sweet Child O' Mine
    Jam
    November Rain
    Abnormal (Bumblefoot on lead vocals)
    Don't Cry
    Knockin' on Heaven's Door
    Jam
    Nightrain

Encore:
    Jam
    Patience
    The Seeker
    Jam
    Paradise City

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Can't wait to see the next set list. Riveting stuff.

I can't figure out whether you're being sarcastic or not

Isn't it better to get setlist's and positive messages anyway then have this thread just established as an excuse to abuse Axl Rose? I think that Bolivia setlist is amazing and I would have loved the chance to see that show on DVD

This, for me, is fantastic

It's sad really what has become of Axl and whatever vision he had for his revamped Guns N' Roses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Are you serious? His voice is shot and he looks so disinterested

I can't figure out whether you're being sarcastic or not

Isn't it better to get setlist's and positive messages anyway then have this thread just established as an excuse to abuse Axl Rose? I think that Bolivia setlist is amazing and I would have loved the chance to see that show on DVD

In all fairness, i think Axl gets off way too easy here, and he wouldn't be warranting half the abuse he gets if he had rebuilt his version of GN'R into a successful well oiled machine (instead of the nostalgic touring circus it's become), but instead he decided to spend the best part of his peak years, hidden away like a little butthurt b**** labouring over a somewhat love/hate album amongst GN'R fans. Rock In Rio III could've been the launch pad for NuGN'R, but Axl, boy oh boy did he **** up. Hell if the 2002 tour had gone off without a hitch, we could've been sat here today comparing the 2001-2009 (I say '01-'09 because of the various departures in those 8 years) incarnations with the Appetite/Lies/Illusions era of Guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Now I'm not one to criticise anyones musical tastes, it's very much each to his/her own choice.

However, I cannot understand the fascination of this excuse for a band post the early nineties. Appetite made a huge impact and rightly so, it still stands the test of time because it just fcukin' blinding.

Lies was great too. The following two I don't rate much myself but since then is just insulting.

Axl and co. are a spent force. They have not added anything musically for decades, so why the fascination? Without being cynical, they will disappoint again. Their day has come and gone, if he was a horse he could have possibly been put out to stud as his racing days are long gone.

I really can't comprehend what people expect from a second rate band? Like many other acts over the years they just carried on too long and soured their reputation, it's pitiful really.

So much talk, so much hype, so much anticipation for a band who are living off the brilliance and reputation from days long gone.

Slayer got better and better. Axl didn't. Some bands keep their integrity and standards over many years and releases, some don't.

They were Man Utd. now they're Macclesfield. Stop, just stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I feel like people let their personal opinion of Axl Rose come into this.

Had Chinese Democracy been released as is, with the original members, everyone would be saying how amazing it is. But because it has a different line up, people refuse to allow themselves to like it. It's a great album.

My only issue is the long delays between albums. Ideally there would be a new one every few years. From 86 to 91 we had five albums (albeit two short ones) in five years. Chinese Democracy was six years ago later this year. That's their problem right now. They should have had a follow up in 2012 at the latest. Do that and a lot of the issues go away.

Or maybe people let loose on Axl because he screwed up the the greatest band of a generation with his ego.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anybody here lucky enough to see the original line up? And i mean Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy & Steven

I was lucky and caught them twice, at The Marquee in '87 and Donington in '88

Can't remember too much about the Marquee gig as i was off my tits but the Donington gig, i remember that all right, They were booked in the february as a second opener (2pm slot), by the time the gig came round they could have headlined. Crazy big crowd, 2 fans died at the front :(

I've most of the albums and dvd's, missed seeing Axl's version of Guns live 3 times, would've given anything to have been in the RDS in June 2006

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

I've only seen the '92 line up at Slane and the '06 line up at the RDS. Whilst they had already started to become a circus act by '92 it was still a memorable gig just for the atmosphere that surrounded it and the fact that it was the Illusion era Guns.

I went to see them in 2006 purely out of curiosity but tbh whilst Axls voice was pretty good there was no pace to the show with constant breaks and filler guitar solos made it tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Or maybe people let loose on Axl because he screwed up the the greatest band of a generation with his ego.

Point proven.

You judge based on personal dislike rather than the music.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Point proven.

You judge based on personal dislike rather than the music.

My personal opinion on Axl is more 50/50, but there is no denying he was a talented front man in his day.

• Advertisement

My only issue is the long delays between albums. Ideally there would be a new one every few years. From 86 to 91 we had five albums (albeit two short ones) in five years. Chinese Democracy was six years ago later this year. That's their problem right now. They should have had a follow up in 2012 at the latest. Do that and a lot of the issues go away.

Well said - they are leaving it far too long at this point for a newer album, they can continue to tour, sure, but a new album would (I think) sell just as well - if not even more so - than the last one given Axl has been pretty "well behaved" since 2006 (Dublin notwithstanding)

This has to be my favorite picture of Axl - Taken during the making of the Illusions albums

Axl-Rose-axl-rose-15796683-333-500.jpg

And the last known photo taken of Axl before he disappeared until February 1998
    (Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame 1994)

Axl-Rose-axl-rose-15729493-500-448.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lucifer31

I was at the gig in Slane in May 1992. Great day out for a 16 year old at the time. \m/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Lucifer31 wrote: »
    I was at the gig in Slane in May 1992. Great day out for a 16 year old at the time. \m/

So was I and was 16 aswell. It was my first major gig and I had been looking forward to it for months.
    We got there early so we could get into the segregated area at the front. Was a great show despite the 2 hour wait between FNM and GNR. I remember getting cramps in my legs on the way home:D.

Did they start with Night Train or Welcome to the Jungle? The memory is a bit hazy on that one. I just remember Axl sprinting onto the stage and the show starting very suddenly.

22 years ago, bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They opened with Nightrain at Slane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Had Chinese Democracy been released as is, with the original members, everyone would be saying how amazing it is. But because it has a different line up, people refuse to allow themselves to like it. It's a great album.

I am listening to it today for the first time in ages and I cannot agree with that. It is awful in comparison to what was released previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

It's not. It's a stinker. I couldn't care less if Noddy and Big Ears were playing on it. It's just crap. Sometimes even the great bands get it wrong and release a stinker .

St Anger?

Divine Intervention?

Never Say Die?

Risk?

Even the best can get it wrong sometimes.

The only songs i can i listen to on Chinese Democracy are Chinese Democracy, Better & There Was A Time, those three in my opinion are the only good songs on a very forgettable album.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

My first concert was hot summer day in Wembley, 1991.
    Brother was living in London at the time and got us tickets for it. The real bonus for me was the fact that Skid Row were supporting, was an absolute fanatic of them.
    The ''Use Your Illusions'' albums were not released at that stage so we didn't know most of the set that night.
    I think that was Izzy Stradlins last gig that night too.
    Nine Inch Nails were on that day too, don't think they were well received either!

dsc00265.jpg?w=300

Skid Row in Wembley that day.

Very hard to beat the gig at the Ritz.
    Probably been posted already in the thread, Mama Kin is included in this video.
    I have bootleg audio of that night which also includes ''Whole Lotta Rosie'' which I haven't seen on video yet. Maybe it was never actually shown for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

derra wrote: »
    Very hard to beat the gig at the Ritz.
    Probably been posted already in the thread, Mama Kin is included in this video.
    I have bootleg audio of that night which also includes ''Whole Lotta Rosie'' which I haven't seen on video yet. Maybe it was never actually shown for whatever reason.

I still have a VHS copy of the Ritz gig. It really was a classic. All of the songs screened were off Appetite (on my copy anyway).

'I dunno what is is but it's weird and it's pissed off and it calls itself Slaaaaaasshh' Axl Rose at the Ritz:D

Advertisement