Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

http://oikotimes.com/2014/05/12/greece-seriously-thinking-to-withdraw/

Although I didnt like their song that much this year I do think they bring the entertainment factor each year and it would be a shame to see them go!
    I heard that the three other possibly withdrawing countries are France, Azerbaijan and Russia. Being totally honest I won't be sad to see the back of either of the last two!

Disagree with both reasons supplied by the Greek delegation. The host broadcaster picking the order of sections of the show leads to a better overall show and in general allows for your song to stand out more. The Greek entry was placed after a slow ballad to give a bit of umph to the broadcast.

If Azerbaijan are another one then they're nothing more than sore losers. They final get a placing that they deserve and decide to throw the toys out of the pram. Wouldn't be upset one bit if they, Russia or Belarus decide to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

efb wrote: »
    French is an official language of the EBU

2+2 is 4

:D:D:D
    Austria’s Eurovision 2014 champion, Conchita Wurst, has overcome her critics again, this time by reaching Number One in the iTunes download chart in … Russia!

As well as reaching the top spot in Russia’s download chart, Gay Star News reports, her winning song — “Rise Like A Phoenix” — has reached Number Six in the singles chart, higher than Russian’s own Eurovision entry, “Shine” performed by the Tolmachevy Sisters.

All this despite Russian politicians denouncing the Austrian drag queen and one even describing her Eurovision win last Saturday as signalling “the end of Europe.”

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/a-and-e/entertainment/conchita-wurst-tops-the-charts-in-russia/article/383551#ixzz31aUThcmu

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Amik

Anyone know how Lithuania picks their song? It appears they have a song and then run a competition to find a singer for it?

http://youtu.be/2VHGWpH8JfQ

http://youtu.be/AXLErW7KiBs

http://youtu.be/zAoAS4-942A (who we saw in Copenhagen).

Donatan and Cleo are releasing a new song/video tomorrow in English called Slavica in an effort to keep Europe straight! ;)

• Advertisement

Amik wrote: »
    Anyone know how Lithuania picks their song? It appears they have a song and then run a competition to find a singer for it?

http://youtu.be/2VHGWpH8JfQ

http://youtu.be/AXLErW7KiBs

http://youtu.be/zAoAS4-942A (who we saw in Copenhagen).

That's very interesting. Love the way that they put their own twist on the song. To be honest I think the other two are far better than the one that was picked. Especially the jazz number.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,168 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Heard the Netherlands song a few times today already on Irish radio. Ronan Collins played it at lunchtime by request, whilst listeners to John Creedon (Fiachna Hothouse Flower sitting in) have asked for it.

More royalties for Sting then!

Nyuk-nyuk-nyuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I have start our entry on another thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056812719&page=565

I think you should all like, I plan to grow a beard. It's about Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭CFlat

Am I the only person who thinks that The Netherlands song doesn't sound remotely like Stings song? The melody is nothing like Every Breath You Take and neither are the lyrics . I don't think you can claim palgerism over a drum beat and a guitar riff. I would have thought it was way more Eagles then The Police anyway.

CFlat wrote: »
    Am I the only person who thinks that The Netherlands song doesn't sound remotely like Stings song? The melody is nothing like Every Breath You Take and neither are the lyrics . I don't think you can claim palgerism over a drum beat and a guitar riff. I would have thought it was way more Eagles then The Police anyway.

Definitely not plagiarised but it does fit nicely over every breath you take. There are a couple of nice mash ups on youtube.

• Advertisement

New Donatan/Cleo song in response to the Conchita victory. ;)

Pretty good start to a solo career. For those of you who don't remember, Tim Schou was the lead singer of a friend in London. One of my favourite acts that year.

Amik wrote: »
    New Donatan/Cleo song in response to the Conchita victory. ;)

Didn't think it was possible to make that song worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Didn't think it was possible to make that song worse...

Boobs didn't work so let's try asses...

mhge wrote: »
    Boobs didn't work so let's try asses...

and glow paint... everyone loves glow paint!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

Elmo wrote: »
    I have start our entry on another thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056812719&page=565

I think you should all like, I plan to grow a beard. It's about Sligo.

Very good but I just have one question

Have we not done the Tin Whistle/twee irish dancing/culchie stuff to death.

I was thinking more along the lines of Lordi, with Celtic images of old like Brian Boru, etc (instead of monsters like Lordi) ?

What you think - Brian Boru, in 4 inch heal boots with a tin whistle, singing about Sligo, or maybe even Tipperary, or a verse on both? ;)

Some news on the eurovision front.

According to the chairman of a foreign affairs committee in Turkey, "We will no longer participate in Eurovision".

Greece deny talk of them leaving the contest.

Russian parliamentarians propose a new contest because eurovision is just "endless madness".

So far I think this has been the most well recieved winner in the history of eurovision... what do you think? :rolleyes::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Some news on the eurovision front.

According to the chairman of a foreign affairs committee in Turkey, "We will no longer participate in Eurovision".

Greece deny talk of them leaving the contest.

Russian parliamentarians propose a new contest because eurovision is just "endless madness".

So far I think this has been the most well recieved winner in the history of eurovision... what do you think? :rolleyes::P

I fear the wurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I thought Turkey had already pulled out last year because of the two women kissing at the end of Finland's set?

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I thought Turkey had already pulled out last year because of the two women kissing at the end of Finland's set?

Yup. Recently reaffirmed their position after Conchita's win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Yup. Recently reaffirmed their position after Conchita's win.

Good riddance to Turkey (Asia Minor) then! :p. I suppose they got the hump when we sent Dustin too!

Good riddance to Turkey (Asia Minor) then! :p. I suppose they got the hump when we sent Dustin too!

I really don't see why they have such a problem with the big 5 going through to the final. They spend the most. If Turkey want to contribute more to the competition then they too can have automatic qualification!

Russia apparently wants to start its own contest representing 'traditional values' and Belarus are also on board (surprise surprise).

Let them leave, wouldn't miss either very much to be honest. Hopefully they take Azerbaijan with them!

I dunno, as bad as the Russian, Belarusian, Azeri etc. governments are I'd hate to see any country withdraw. :( The whole point of the competition is supposed to be about unity, after all. Plus it would suck for the more liberal or democratic-minded people of those countries for whom Eurovision isn't just a silly song contest but also a chance for greater interaction with the West.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Pretty sure they pulled out long before Finland even picked their entry.
    They primarily pulled out in a huff because the juries have been dragging down their results.
    I really don't see why they have such a problem with the big 5 going through to the final. They spend the most. If Turkey want to contribute more to the competition then they too can have automatic qualification!

I sincerely have my doubts that Spain and Italy are contributing a lot to Eurovision. Sure Italy had to be persuaded back!

Pretty sure they pulled out long before Finland even picked their entry.
    They primarily pulled out in a huff because the juries have been dragging down their results.

I sincerely have my doubts that Spain and Italy are contributing a lot to Eurovision. Sure Italy had to be persuaded back!

I'm really not sure how it works. That's the reason that was always given. It might not be contributions directly to the competition but fees to the EBU in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I dunno, as bad as the Russian, Belarusian, Azeri etc. governments are I'd hate to see any country withdraw. :( The whole point of the competition is supposed to be about unity, after all. Plus it would suck for the more liberal or democratic-minded people of those countries for whom Eurovision isn't just a silly song contest but also a chance for greater interaction with the West.

I don't see these countries (especially mother Russia) exercising any unity at the moment. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Conchita is on the Graham Norton Show tonight, should be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Stevecw wrote: »
    Conchita is on the Graham Norton Show tonight, should be good.

Cool. Saves me watching the late late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

The Italian entry has been in my head since Saturday night.. it's like it subconciously made it's way into my brain..

Advertisement