Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    It's interesting. To me this graph points to some of the failures of the jury system. It seems that across the board, regardless of the country voting, Austria was loved by the general public. However, you then have the failure of the 100% public vote system when you have acts like Poland coming first in the likes of the UK and Ireland. I suppose for now the 50/50 system works to cancel the problems out from both sides leaving the best act taking the crown.
    Yeah, it does seem to even out, I wonder if 50/50 is perhaps the right proportion though or should it be weighted a little more towards the televote.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Vis a vis the "popular" Irish vote for Poland and some of the negative comment regarding the Austrian winner , I reckon (b) most of the voting was by Polish people living here and (b) the rest was by those who enjoyed the "spectacle" that was the Polish girls ! In a similar way , many voted for Conchita because she was different.......takes all sorts thankfully ! What was the Polish song about anyway ??? It definitely won the "booby" prize on the night for sure !!

I'd guess there's a fair bit of a neighbourly vote for Poland as well considering the cultural ties. It certainly didn't deserve to be voted the worst song by our jury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

QUOTE [the staging of their 2014 entry that cost them qualification for the final. It has been suggested that Ireland should opt for an internal selection like that of the UK] QUOTE

Well that worked well for them didn't it :rolleyes:

Lets look at successful countries like Sweden, and see how they choose their entry - why do we always have to look at the UK for everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

So both the UK and Irish public voted Poland first, but their juries but them last, that was harsh from the juries! Me smells a rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The best song won. Some people just don't like seeing men wearing dresses. It bothers them for some reason (although non of the posters will admit that on here).

I got Austria at 25/1, so I'm delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,156 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Lapin wrote: »
    Not trolling.

Are you seriously seriously trying to tell me that Austria's entry tonight deserved to win?

Are you seriously suggesting Ireland was better than Austria?

The public had their say and they disagreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

efb wrote: »
    So both the UK and Irish public voted Poland first, but their juries but them last, that was harsh from the juries! Me smells a rat!

I don't think the juries know the vote coming in (which in this case was largely driven by the Polish community I suppose).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

But who are the juries? They are hardly governmental, anti immigration officials. I'd be more interested in seeing how many people actually vote for the eurovision.
    Logically, you cannot vote for your own country so your motivation to vote for another would be greatly depreciated.
    HOWEVER, if you are living in another country, of course you can vote for YOUR OWN country, so your tendency to vote will increase, so thats why neighbouring countries get voting for eachother.

Also, while I alluded to the fact that the jury wouldnt be anti-Polish, er se, they would understand that a large Polish phone vote will amount, I think perhaps they would try to balance this out somewhat, however unfairly by giving a lower vote.

While it seems like I am contradicting my earlier statement, my overall point is that it isnt out of a dislike of Polish people that the jurors may vote like that, but moreso out of a dislike of block voting.

I think that having a combined voting system is the only way to deal with block voting which would be an awful lot worse otherwise.

Hope you follow what I am saying

Ps I have yet to meet anyone who has actually voted for the Eurovision (or disclosed that they have). I imagine its hardly hundreds of thousands of votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

mhge wrote: »
    I don't think the juries know the vote coming in (which in this case was largely driven by the Polish community I suppose).

I would imagine they would be very aware of the amount of Polish living here and hence the likelihood that the Polish vote from public would be substantial.

See my point above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

mhge wrote: »

They vote the night before so they have no idea whatsoever how the public are going to vote. Putting them in last place was a bit over the top but they were one of the worst acts of the night musically. Definitely didn't deserve to get any points from us.
    But who are the juries? They are hardly governmental, anti immigration officials. I'd be more interested in seeing how many people actually vote for the eurovision.
    Logically, you cannot vote for your own country so your motivation to vote for another would be greatly depreciated.
    HOWEVER, if you are living in another country, of course you can vote for YOUR OWN country, so your tendency to vote will increase, so thats why neighbouring countries get voting for eachother.

Also, while I alluded to the fact that the jury wouldnt be anti-Polish, er se, they would understand that a large Polish phone vote will amount, I think perhaps they would try to balance this out somewhat, however unfairly by giving a lower vote.

While it seems like I am contradicting my earlier statement, my overall point is that it isnt out of a dislike of Polish people that the jurors may vote like that, but moreso out of a dislike of block voting.

I think that having a combined voting system is the only way to deal with block voting which would be an awful lot worse otherwise.

Hope you follow what I am saying

Ps I have yet to meet anyone who has actually voted for the Eurovision (or disclosed that they have). I imagine its hardly hundreds of thousands of votes

You can see who the jury members are by looking at the voting page on the eurovision website. To be honest I think it's a ridiculous accusation to make that the Irish jury voted to knock off the public vote. The song was dreadful and warranted a low score. As for who votes in the eurovision? Many people here, me included, voted a couple of times for our favourite acts. Looking back at my text messages I gave a vote to Austria, Malta and the UK. I think you would be surprised at how many votes RTE takes in for the competition. The official figures are not given as it opens the possibility of voting manipulation in smaller countries where less people are voting. If the figures for televotes are too low, in the case of San Marino, then the results for that country are made up entirely of jury's results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Ok my take on it...the song wasn't outstanding and certainly no better than 4 or 5 top contenders.
    However a good song plus unique selling point in this case drag act equals victory. The contest depends on visual as well as audio these days particularly with the public having a say many of whom don't have a musical note in their head and who treat the contest as a bit of a joke.

So Ireland's entry next year needs to be a good song sung by someone with a unique selling point who the audience can almost feel sorry for. Basically we need to find a freak who can sing!

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    They vote the night before so they have no idea whatsoever how the public are going to vote. Putting them in last place was a bit over the top but they were one of the worst acts of the night musically. Definitely didn't deserve to get any points from us.

I thought the french song was decent and didnt deserve to come last. It treated the contest with the llight heartedness it deserves.

realweirdo wrote: »
    I thought the french song was decent and didnt deserve to come last. It treated the contest with the llight heartedness it deserves.

This is a minor problem with the cultural aspect of the voting. It dictates how the bottom half of the score board looks. The French song wasn't the worst but it wasn't great either. Didn't deserve to be on the left hand side of the board. You need to forget about how acts position after 15/20. After that the position is neither relevant or indicative of how Europe as a whole enjoyed the performances.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

However a good song plus unique selling point in this case drag act equals victory.

This is a key point. To me, there's three factors in play during an act.

1. Is the song great and memorable (are you able to sing in the next day)?
    2. Is the performer recognizable/memorable (be they a gimmick or a renowned act)?
    3. Block voting (Can you guarantee some votes regardless of 1 and 2)?

To win, you need two of those three factors to be very strong, and can take a hit in the third. Last night, Austria hit 1 and 2, and had enough of 3 to win it (though not as overwhelmingly as other winners have in recent times).

Coincidentally, we failed (imo) to hit any of the three this year or last; I think Jedward hit Number 2 well and hit 1 decently as well in their first try, hence why they did so well. England last night hit 1 but not 2 or 3. The reality is we will never get a high rank in the third factor so need to nail both 1 and 2 perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but why is the media (or some media coverage) referring to the winner as 'she' rather than 'he'?

No, it was terrible. Truly the worst of the night and deserved to be last.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but why is the media (or some media coverage) referring to the winner as 'she' rather than 'he'?

because he took part as Conchita Wurst, the female character he has created back in 2011.

Oh god, please don't start that again!

Irish Aris wrote: »
    because he took part as Conchita Wurst, the female character he has created back in 2011.

Okay, but he is a he. He is a transvestite, not a transsexual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

He's not a transvestite, he's a drag act. If he's not on stage as "her", Conchita, he's a gay guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

correct.
    When he is speaking as Tom Neuwurth, he refers to himself as a he.
    When she is speaking as Conchita Wurst, she is referring to herself as a she.

This approach is quite common (or at least can easily be found) in drag show/characters.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    correct.
    When he is speaking as Tom Neuwurth, he refers to himself as a he.
    When she is spekaing as Conchita Wurst, she is referring to herself as a she.

This approach is quite common (or at least can easily be found) in drag show/characters.

Thanks.

I'm going to be controversial here and say we need to send johnny logan next year or someone with european wide recognition. I think the acts that generally do well are those that are recognised across europe either for the usp element or for being an outstanding song. As has been stated we will never gain from bloc voting and the chances of us producing an outstanding song are slim. Those acts which generate hype in the week beforehand have a big advantage. Lets be honest most of the public are impressionable, follow the crowd and couldn't tell a good song from a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I'm going to be controversial here and say we need to send johnny logan next year or someone with european wide recognition. I think the acts that generally do well are those that are recognised across europe either for the usp element or for being an outstanding song. As has been stated we will never gain from bloc voting and the chances of us producing an outstanding song are slim. Those acts which generate hype in the week beforehand have a big advantage. Lets be honest most of the public are impressionable, follow the crowd and couldn't tell a good song from a bad one.

Johnny Logan won't work. He's too old and I'd predict a backlash against him based on him winning previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Is there anything to be said for sending an already well-recognised international act instead of a (with all due respect to Kasey) relative no-body. I'm not sure how up for it they would be but why not send the Script or Kodaline or even Imelda May? The UK sent Blue over a couple of years ago and they got a respectable result.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Johnny Logan won't work. He's too old and I'd predict a backlash against him based on him winning previously.

Not at all...we've tried young singers every year for the last 10 years. Their average age was about 23. Apart from jedward the rest were annonymous outside of ireland. A lot of it is to do with recognisibility. Theres also the nostalic element.

There's actually a lot of ingredients that go into producing a eurovision winning entry and a good song is a minor element these days. Presentation, hype, usp and so on also count. Sending another unknown next year equals failure. Stand out acts win.

thelad95 wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for sending an already well-recognised international act instead of a (with all due respect to Kasey) relative no-body. I'm not sure how up for it they would be but why not send the Script or Kodaline or even Imelda May? The UK sent Blue over a couple of years ago and they got a respectable result.

I do't think they would have the nessecary kitsch credentials. A drag act would have a better chance to be honest. Its all about kitsch these days and the lgbt constituency is reasonably big. A gay icon might also help.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Apart from jedward the rest were annonymous outside of ireland.

Many were anonymous within Ireland as well :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Might have fared better with the juries if the song was any good, one of the weakest songs last night.

• Advertisement

Not at all...we've tried young singers every year for the last 10 years. Their average age was about 23. Apart from jedward the rest were annonymous outside of ireland. A lot of it is to do with recognisibility. Theres also the nostalic element.

There's actually a lot of ingredients that go into producing a eurovision winning entry and a good song is a minor element these days. Presentation, hype, usp and so on also count. Sending another unknown next year equals failure. Stand out acts win.

We sent Niamh Kavanagh a couple of years ago. Acts like that are never going to win. Europe and eurovision watchers want fresh faces with a great song.

Also, block voting doesn't dictate the winner.

Advertisement