Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think overall it is a very disappointing list to look at tbf as most of them are not major movers in the Irish Music Industry.

I have never heard of Cormac Battle's music for 2fm while he is on air. I also never listen to 2fm as it is now a crap station.

The involvement of Billy Mc Guinness could be a contender as a Eurovision mentor to actually win because he might be good at it; all depending on the song & the singer that is.

There is only one phrase for the involvement of Mark Murphy - X Factor. He may provide a surprise for us on the night or not despite being Tour Manager of Olly Murs.

Hazel Kaneswaren is a z-lister now whatever way you think of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

we should send Hazel..yum yum :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭July Rain

I can't understand why RTE are going back to this failed format for a 4th time. last year not even the Irish public(except Derek Mooney) got behind yer man and the semi final had the lowest ratings ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Michael Kealy RTE Eurovision Co-ordinator is quoted in that article as saying, "We felt that last years mentoring process was successful in delivering five strong acts which could represent Ireland"

Didn't the act which was sent from this five finish in last place with only 5 points? :confused:

Surely that's good enough reason to shake up the selection process for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Seems this years winner Denmark wants to host the event again. 872 songs submitted for the Danes to choose from.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=record_number_of_song_submissions_in_denmark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

I know the Indo can't always be trusted, but Jesus H Christ.

If the folks at Montrose really don't want to stage the Eurovision again, then there really is no reason why they should continue participating.

Plugging on with their cheap, uninspired and guaranteed-not-to-win selection formats - especially the mentor format, after what happened in Malmo - is not what I would call good sportsmanship.

Twenty years ago, the folks at RTL in Luxembourg felt that the cost of hosting the Eurovision had become too great. So what did they do? Rather than blatantly send acts that hardly stood a chance of winning, they pulled out.

There's no reason why RTE can't follow this example. They're not obliged to enter the contest, and pulling out does not mean that they'll lose their EBU membership (indeed, RTL is still a member).

And they'd surely be saving money, rather than losing it, if they did pull out - not having to pay potential acts or mentors, or spend on travel or staging.

And of course they could still broadcast the semi-finals and the final - and more than likely the viewing figures would still be high.

Except it will probably take a miracle for them to realise any of this... :(:( :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As for that remark of Mr Kealy's - either he's a plonker, or senior management told him to say that the mentor format is good. Or, indeed, both... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭dr Golden

Anybody hear the songs yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

If it was one of the highest viewed shows in Ireland in 2013 then surely it offers value for money to RTE? If Ireland didn't participate, I doubt the viewing figures would be anywhere as high.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Now that the Irish contenders have been revealed I thought it was time to start the thread.

Bit of background first though. 37 countries taking part this year, which is the smallest number in quite a few years. Portugal and Poland are returning, whilst Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia and big-hitter Serbia have all withdrawn!

Ukraine, Albania, Belarus, Italy, Finland and Switzerland have already revealed their entries.

In terms of Ireland's qualification chances, we're in the second half of the second, seemingly weaker semi-final, which only has 15 countries! So, we couldn't really have asked for a better draw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest_2014

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The Irish contenders:

Patricia Roe:

Eoghan Quigg:

Can-linn/Kasey Smith:

Andrew Mann:

Laura O'Neill:

I think Cann-linn/Kasey clearly have the best song, but the similarities to last years winner are impossible to deny. It'll probably count against it, but I think that's what we'll send.

• Advertisement

Entries revealed so far:

Ukraine:

Albania:

Belarus:

Italy:

Finland:

Switzerland:

No real contenders so far, which is weird, normally we have a couple around now. At this stage last year we knew the Denmark, Ukraine and Norway entries!

I'm disappointed with the Ukraine entry, I really thought they'd try and go for a win this year after their recent strong results. Although it does need to be considered that they often give their song a makeover before Eurovision, much like they did last year. I'm not sure there's much they can do with this year's one though, it seems pretty weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Gergiev

Usual disgraceful stuff from RTE...one of the mentors enters her own sister and 2 of the others submit their own compositions...astonishing that they can't lay down the law that if you accept this position of responsibility in the National Song Contest, then you have to go out and find the best song and singer available instead of using it as a platform to further your own career...with nonsense like this involved, any wonder we've been in the doldrums for years...

Gergiev wrote: »
    Usual disgraceful stuff from RTE...one of the mentors enters her own sister and 2 of the others submit their own compositions...astonishing that they can't lay down the law that if you accept this position of responsibility in the National Song Contest, then you have to go out and find the best song and singer available instead of using it as a platform to further your own career...with nonsense like this involved, any wonder we've been in the doldrums for years...

As I said, if RTE really don't want to stage the Eurovision again, then there's always the option of pulling out.

Can-linn/Kasey Smith:

The second minute of that video... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Kasey was a contender last year, of course, when she was mentored by Mairead Farrell.

BuilderPlumber might not like her, though - she's worked with a certain L. Walsh... :D;)

You can also add Malta to the list of chosen entries. It's basically Mumford & Sons-lite. Perfectly inoffensive but rather dull.

No real contenders so far, which is weird, normally we have a couple around now.

:eek: Did you not listen to the Cheesecake song? I'm already pricing flights for Minsk next year! :P

Of the ones selected I'd say Finland has the best chance of a respectable placing; Europe seems to love those kind of bland pop-rock stadium songs and, as bland pop-rock goes, it's not the worst I've ever heard.

Meanwhile, France has this as one of their three possible entries! :D

I really hope the French public vote to send it to Europe; seeing as they had a very good song and singer last year that got them nowhere, they might as well try the novelty route. Plus it is insanely catchy. :pac:

This thread hasn't been updated in a while. Here's the Icelandic song anyway

(It's terrible)

8 entries selected, 29 to go.
    You can also add Malta to the list of chosen entries. It's basically Mumford & Sons-lite. Perfectly inoffensive but rather dull.

The main hook of that Malta song sounds very like 'Let Me Go' by Gary Barlow!

Meanwhile, the contenders for Norway have been revealed, and this one sounds pretty fantastic

It's the only one from the Nowegian selection I've actually listened to yet, but surely this is what they'll pick? I could see it doing very well in Copenhagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,698 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Any word on who is representing the UK yet?

*Carol Decker of T'Pau waiting anxiously by phone*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Turning the Eurovision into another 'My granny's got talent factor' took all the craic out of the Eurovision. Like The LLS Toy Show, we'd all tune in regardless, but with the added bonus of seeing some Irish underdog having fought to represent Ireland.
    Now its filtered before we even get a say.

Mark Murphy and Billy McGuinnes, they've at least been in the music business and making a living from it.
    Cormac Battle has a decent enough pedigree, stellar compared to most of the rest.
    Valerie Roe ran Lillies Bordello, managed a flop act...but hey she's connected and chums with Louis.
    Similarly with Hazel Kaneswaran. Famous for being a judge on Louis backed 'talent' shows. Another Lillie's alumni.

They should let random people enter their own songs, have regionals at events, clubs etc. pick four or five and stick them on the LLS and have a phone in vote. All we're going to get in a middle of the road bland pop song, which will never peak the interest of anyone.

Any word on who is representing the UK yet?

*Carol Decker of T'Pau waiting anxiously by phone*

Not much from the BBC yet, only to confirm that it would be an internal selection again this year, which we already knew. Paloma Faith has had to deny rumours it's her. I don't think British Eurovision fans should be too optimistic though, which is a real shame. The BBC have all the resources to win, they have no excuse.

The BBC have all the resources to win, they have no excuse.

It's possible that, like RTE, the Beeb are very reluctant about paying a lot of money to stage the Eurovision again... ;)

They don't really have the option of pulling out, though, as the UK is one of the Big 5.

Well they could surely pull out if they wanted? They're hardly contractually obliged to be a part of it surely. It pisses me off the way the big 5 go straight through yet they are the ones that make the least effort! I know they supposedly contribute the most money, but I find this very hard to believe. With all its financial problems, are Spain really among the biggest contributors to Eurovision? I mean, really?

I think the whole 'big 5' thing is more about keeping a western bloc of countries in the final than anything to do with money.

• Advertisement

It pisses me off the way the big 5 go straight through yet they are the ones that make the least effort!

I think the Germans still make a decent effort.

They certainly did so four years ago... ;);)

Yes they have recently to be fair. For years they didn't though. Spain, France and the UK have all finished top ten once each inside the last ten years. Italy have been doing well since they came back, but I think this is more to do with the suspiciously generous jury scores rather than a reflection of the quality of songs they've been sending.

Personally I think Russia should be given big 5 status. It probably wouldn't be the most popular move but let's be honest, they're going to qualify from the semi's whatever they send, and they mostly do send good songs anyway. I'd love to see Sweden go straight through the finals too, they put a massive effort in every year. Obviously neither of these will happen though.

Ruth Lorenzo will represent Spain. You might remember her from the X Factor UK 2008.

Alright song. Safe and solid ballad which the juries will appreciate. Can't see it winning many public votes though.

The Latvian entry. It's a song about cake.

Macedonia:

Hungary:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

Liked Eoghan Quigg's singing and song, best of the 5 I heard on Derek Mooney's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought the Heartbeat song was the best Ireland had to offer. I could see that qualifying and maybe getting a top ten place if it's chosen (which it won't be).

I think the Quigg song is average at best and would struggle to even qualify. All the teeny boppers remember him though so I fully expect his entry to be chosen, hyped up to the rafters, and then to flop spectacularly, before the inevitable outrage for a few days. The usual with Ireland basically.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I thought the Heartbeat song was the best Ireland had to offer. I could see that qualifying and maybe getting a top ten place if it's chosen (which it won't be).

I think the Quigg song is average at best and would struggle to even qualify. All the teeny boppers remember him though so I fully expect his entry to be chosen, hyped up to the rafters, and then to flop spectacularly, before the inevitable outrage for a few days. The usual with Ireland basically.

I agree Heartbeat is by far the best song but I think it will be picked to go to Copenhagen. Whatever you say about the terrible RTE selection method, of the songs that are performed on the night the best one does usually get picked. Remember it's a jury vote as well, I think Eoghan will be near the bottom of that.

Heartbeat now has a video. Clearly it cost a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I agree Heartbeat is by far the best song but I think it will be picked to go to Copenhagen. Whatever you say about the terrible RTE selection method, of the songs that are performed on the night the best one does usually get picked. Remember it's a jury vote as well, I think Eoghan will be near the bottom of that.

I'd like to think you're right but I fear this will just be a popularity contest for the singers. Quigg is well known by the younger audience who will likely make up the bulk of the voting. A smile and a flutter of his eyelashes and he's got it in the bag imo.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Of the ones above in this thread, the only one I rate at all is Italy. Interesting backstory to the singer too which might see a bit of interest generated.

Advertisement