Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=1893&voter=AZ

These jury results absolutely disgust me, Austria last and Sweden second last? Russia and Belarus 1st and 2nd? Azerbaijan should be kicked out for good not just a year or two, not even 'musical professionals' can be trusted there it seems.

Along with the allegations of voter manipulation last year, I would imagine they're on tender hooks with the EBU. Hopefully this pushes them over the edge. They don't deserve to be in the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lfc84

i reckon every member of the LGBT community europe wide voted for Austria

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

lfc84 wrote: »

probably not (I didn't), but a big part would.
    But that alone is not enough. Eurovision has a big gay following but that alone is not enough to give a victory.
    Austria won because they also had a good song, one that appealed to people all around Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

After sleeping on it, here are the results of the County Hurler jury...

I still like Cheesecake.. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

A lot of people voted for Austria. Some are members of the LGBT community. Some are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Probably and all to make a statement of some kind.

http://defactofinding.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/austria3.png

Very interesting chart that shows the differences between some of the juries and public vote for Austria. Massive difference in opinion between the Armenian and Belarusian juries and their public results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭emanresu esrever

why are people referring to a man who dresses up like a woman for a stage performance as 'she'

I think it is quite obvious why people are referring to the act as "She". And I think you know why also. "She" is just a word, it isn't a legal connotation and part of the acts novelty and persona is that the act refers to "himself" as "she". I don't know the personal background, whether the act is fully transgender and has legal documents to back this up bt that is a sidepoint.

Maybe that answers your "question" (although I don't think it was a question, more a statement)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I think it is quite obvious why people are referring to the act as "She". And I think you know why also. "She" is just a word, it isn't a legal connotation and part of the acts novelty and persona is that the act refers to himself as "she". I don't know the personal background, whether the act is fully transgender and has legal documents to back this up bt that is a sidepoint.

Maybe that answers your "question" (although I don't think it was a question, more a statement)

five seconds would clear that up for you. He's not transgender. He's just a man who plays a female character. Referring to him as she is just ridiculous, it smacks of people bending over backwards to be politically correct without taking even a second to think about it, it's on a par with referring to black english people as african americans.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

five seconds would clear that up for you. He's not transgender. He's just a man who plays a female character. Referring to him as she is just ridiculous, it smacks of people bending over backwards to be politically correct without taking even a second to think about it, it's on a par with referring to black english people as african americans.

It has already been said that drag artists prefer to be referred to as she when in costume. The man himself, Tom Neuwirth, refers to himself as he when out of cosutme.

• Advertisement

But he didn't take part as Thomas Neuwirth, his real self. He took part as the female character Conchita Wurst. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Or maybe you're bending over backwards to say the opposite.... Just roll with it she didn't kill anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

five seconds would clear that up for you. He's not transgender. He's just a man who plays a female character. Referring to him as she is just ridiculous, i[/B]t smacks of people bending over backwards to be politically correct without taking even a second to think about it, it's on a par with referring to black english people as african americans.

Actually it smacks of people referring to an individual by the way that individual themselves wants to be referred to.

you getting irritated over it is even more ridiculous! He/She was a stage act who had a persona, like Mr. Blobby and Barney the Dinosaur! Noone ever questioned children when they referred to Tinky Winky or La La as teletubbies as opposed to people dressed up in a costume!

Get a grip

oh, and with regards the "five seconds" that it would have taken me to clear that up, I wasn't that concerned or interested to be honest............. unlike you ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭paulheu

Irish Aris wrote: »
    But he didn't take part as Thomas Neuwirth, his real self. He took part as the female character Conchita Wurst. . .

Females usually do not wear beards. He is part of a gimmick act designed to win the contest based on the given that the gay community is carrying this competition across Europe and have for a long time now.

If he would be in drag without the beard I'd buy his intentions but right now it's all drama and an act for me.That's still fine really and I have nothing against that but don't go all 'equal rights' on us and just do your thing.

IMO the real winner as far as SONG goes was The Netherlands by a mile and seeing how they scooped both the composer and performance awards by their peers I think I am not alone in that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

paulheu wrote: »
    Females usually do not wear beards. He is part of a gimmick act designed to win the contest based on the given that the gay community is carrying this competition across Europe and have for a long time now.

If he would be in drag without the beard I'd buy his intentions but right now it's all drama and an act for me.That's still fine really and I have nothing against that but don't go all 'equal rights' on us and just do your thing.

IMO the real winner as far as SONG goes was The Netherlands by a mile and seeing how they scooped both the composer and performance awards by their peers I think I am not alone in that.

Bloomin' Irish sent a man and pretended he was a turkey. Clearly, we over-estimated the turkey-loving community in Europe at the time.......

Actually it smacks of people referring to an individual by the way that individual themselves wants to be referred to.

Well put...

"Gimmick act"................ "Gay Community"...................."Drag"

This is The Eurovision thread, yeah? These words don't quite belong here...........

NipNip wrote: »
    Bloomin' Irish sent a man and pretended he was a turkey. Clearly, we over-estimated the turkey-loving community in Europe at the time.......

Terrible political statement that. A two finger salute to Christmas dinner, I imagine!

Anyone have any news on the Georgian vote? According to a few tweets, the jury votes were disregarded by the EBU as they all were the same. I've no proof of that though.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=1893&voter=GE

EDIT: Found something
    All jurors are to vote individually, they did apparently not. We control the jury votes closely and act if we see something that is not consistent with our rules. They have not listened to the rules.

Sietse Bakker
    Georgia’s jury vote in the final was annulled due to not meeting the EBU’s rules. Each of the 5 jurors from Georgia had the exact same countries in their top.8 which appears to mean that they were not acting independently of each other. Georgia’s vote in the final was then 100% televote, due to the annulling of the televote. The final result of the contest was not affected by Georgia using 100% televote.
    Also Georgia’s televote in the semi final either failed or did not meet the minimum number required to be counted, meaning their points were 100% jury.

• Advertisement

So the mentor system is scrapped and we're definitely in the competition for 2015. Going to be interesting to see how things play out for us next year.

http://eurovoix.com/2014/05/10/ireland-2015-participation-confirmed-as-mentors-scrapped/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Anyone have any news on the Georgian vote? According to a few tweets, the jury votes were disregarded by the EBU as they all were the same. I've no proof of that though.

http://www.eurovision.tv/page/results?event=1893&voter=GE

EDIT: Found something

I knew it was odd Georgia giving Austria 10 points! Of all the countries taking part in this competition, all of the trouble is coming from the same group of countries year after year, if they cant be trusted they should be ousted end of!

fair enough. Three things though:
    1.The act wasn't designed to win the contest. He is performing as Conchita Wurst since 2011
    2.I didn't go equal rights on everybody. This is a thread for the Eurovision song contest.
    3.Irish people need to realize that country and western music is not as popular elsewhere as it is in Ireland. The Netherlands' song also served as a novelty (one of a kind) in addition to being a good song.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,600 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Wait, wait, wait...

The Man With The Golden Gúna!

That's it.

So the mentor system is scrapped and we're definitely in the competition for 2015. Going to be interesting to see how things play out for us next year.]

I'm not sure that there was a huge problem with the mentor system... The problems only occurred when the mentors shamelessly used the opportunity to promote themselves or their friends... Cormac Battle picking his own song?? The Roe woman picking her own sister? These people really should be ashamed of themselves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

http://defactofinding.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/austria3.png

Very interesting chart that shows the differences between some of the juries and public vote for Austria. Massive difference in opinion between the Armenian and Belarusian juries and their public results.
    Very nice find, thanks gav :)

Its interesting how well the song did in every single televote.

Very nice find, thanks gav :)

Its interesting how well the song did in every single televote.

It's interesting. To me this graph points to some of the failures of the jury system. It seems that across the board, regardless of the country voting, Austria was loved by the general public. However, you then have the failure of the 100% public vote system when you have acts like Poland coming first in the likes of the UK and Ireland. I suppose for now the 50/50 system works to cancel the problems out from both sides leaving the best act taking the crown.

Originally Posted by gavmcg92 View Post
    http://defactofinding.files.wordpres...5/austria3.png

To save you all the hassle, I turned my computer on it's side and took a picture of it..

5B2mTZ.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

But he didn't grow the beard for Eurovision - it's been part of the Conchita stage image for years it seems !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

Vis a vis the "popular" Irish vote for Poland and some of the negative comment regarding the Austrian winner , I reckon (a) most of the voting was by Polish people living here and (b) the rest was by those who enjoyed the "spectacle" that was the Polish girls ! In a similar way , many voted for Conchita because she was different.......takes all sorts thankfully ! What was the Polish song about anyway ??? It definitely won the "booby" prize on the night for sure !!

Advertisement