Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI shares steadily rising... Worth a punt?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Has anyone given credence to Shane Ross's warning in the IE?

Scaremongering or a plausible scenario?

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/shane-ross/bois-own-board-knows-our-banks-are-in-trouble-30137689.html

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

There is an interesting article on BoI in the current edition of Phoenix magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

There is an interesting article on BoI in the current edition of Phoenix magazine.

I read that, it was pretty insightful take on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Triangla wrote: »
    I read that, it was pretty insightful take on it.

synopsis.......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭MfMan

tippman1 wrote: »
    Has anyone given credence to Shane Ross's warning in the IE?

Scaremongering or a plausible scenario?

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/shane-ross/bois-own-board-knows-our-banks-are-in-trouble-30137689.html

He may be right, but then he's the journalistic equivalent of the stopped clock. (And a failed stockbroker).

• Advertisement

Thanos wrote: »
    synopsis.......

In a nutshell, BOI is f**ked.

Talks about it's massive liabilities and how it could been seen as insolvent.

The next few months will be interesting. I take a punt on BOI based on the fact that no government would let them go bust.

It will take years maybe a decade to recover but it will recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

The next few months will be interesting. I take a punt on BOI based on the fact that no government would let them go bust.

For the same reason would AIB be a good bet? Would the government stop them going bust also?

dixiefly wrote: »
    For the same reason would AIB be a good bet? Would the government stop them going bust also?

I think for the same reason yes.

BUT have or would I buy any AIB shares. No. That's only because I am more familiar with BOI. They didn't over extend as much as AIB during the boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭roro2

dixiefly wrote: »

Two very very different questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

A government letting a bank not go has linothing to do with share price. What I mean by this is that the government could keep the bank going by nationalising it. This is effectively what the government has done with AIB. People colating the AIB share price with BOI should remember that there is less than 0.5% of AIB on actual float. The government has the rest. The only reason it is not being taken off the stock exchange is that it would cost the government more to do anew listing in 1-2-5 0r 10 yeras time. It has a stock market capitalisation oh 80 billion, BOI less than 10 billion at present share prices.

With only 0.5% actually being traded it means that about 400 million worth of share are being traded. BOI is different nearly 70% of the share are being traded excludinh the government sharehilding and the American venture capilatists share. Do not touch AIB unless you want to rish a sell CFD on them however you may want deep pockets to finance it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭lucky john

Is there an online link to that article anywhere you could post?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Nothing on their website.

Its only 2.85 and is probably the best value in Irish print media...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 sprained_wang

MfMan wrote: »
    He may be right, but then he's the journalistic equivalent of the stopped clock. (And a failed stockbroker).

most stockbrokers fail , wouldn't hold that against him

his point about the top brass at the bank only owning a pawltry number of stock in BOI is well made I believe , surely those people have a greater understanding of the potential of the bank than most

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 sprained_wang

Europe - Germany - merkel has made the decision that banks wont be allowed to fail , anyone who saw this two years ago or so should have known that bank of Ireland was going to soar in price which it has when your consider it was below 10 cents this time two years ago , that's not to say it doesn't languish where it is for the next five however

its not going to be nationalised however

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭euroboom13

On page2 s. Ross slates boi and on page 3 it states he is currently a share holder?

I have to say our pied pipers aren`t very convincing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Does anyone have any idea when the government might flood the market with its AIB shares or has nothing been even tipped on announcement yet? Quick google leads to nothing

(BOI thread I know but didn't really want to resurrect the old AIB ones)

Gandalph wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea when the government might flood the market with its AIB shares or has nothing been even tipped on announcement yet? Quick google leads to nothing

(BOI thread I know but didn't really want to resurrect the old AIB ones)

Sunday papers said, aib would be trying to make it attractive for private investment by sometime in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Steadily falling now. Ukraine related or more to it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 drain_cleaner

Comordha wrote: »

the whole market is falling right now , face book for example is down 25% in the past four weeks , bank of ireland could easily go to 20 cents

Comordha wrote: »

Plenty of external factors are dragging it down but Blackrock that had a 3% shareholding anounced it had sold over a billion share. That has dropped the price this afternoon. Great value now for anyone who has a bit of patience and can hold for a while.

• Advertisement

Has a shake down every once in while, may go to 25/26c,i think anyone whom thinks there a good buy and holds for 20c will miss a good buy op. Good luck

euroboom13 wrote: »
    Has a shake down every once in while, may go to 25/26c,i think anyone whom thinks there a good buy and holds for 20c will miss a good buy op. Good luck

Chart guys are calling a lot of support at 26c (200 day ma). With only good news on every single front that directly impacts boi's future prospects I'm surprised its even testing 26. Next update is not untill autumn so its possible investors may not see the light for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Is there any information out there as to when BOI is expected to resume dividend payments?

Is there any information out there as to when BOI is expected to resume dividend payments?

RB mentioned 2016 at the time of FY results in march. Bit unrealistic I would have thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Hoover

I see that Fidelity investments ( fmr) have increased their share holding to at least 7% and this has been notified to the markets.,wonder is that what drove the increase today?

Hoover wrote: »
    I see that Fidelity investments ( fmr) have increased their share holding to at least 7% and this has been notified to the markets.,wonder is that what drove the increase today?

They originally had 8%. Dropped below 7 last week and back over 7 today. Hopefully they got a look at figures before Friday's agm and liked what they saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

lucky john wrote: »
    They originally had 8%. Dropped below 7 last week and back over 7 today. Hopefully they got a look at figures before Friday's agm and liked what they saw.

Is that not illegal?

agm..................lets hope all surprises are good ones. gud luck

They tend to give very little extra info at the agm. Mostly just a general progress report but light on figures. Still you'd be hoping they would give enough tomorrow to light a little fire under the share price.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 marc_faber

Is that not illegal?

you dont honestley believe that institutions dont have access to the kind of info which retail investors dont ?

Advertisement