Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBA Season Thread 2013-2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The ButtersSuki Awards 203-2014:

MVP: Durant. Yes, LeBron is still a better player, but for this season I'm going with KD given the load(s) he had to carry (Perkins, the coach and Westbrook's injury) plus the fact that he's had 2 back to back awesome seasons now (50/40/90 last year with the 2nd highest scoring average ever after Larry Legend, and just shy of that this year on a higher ppg).
    Rookie of the Year: MCW
    Coach of the Year: Thibs. Given the injury (again), the loss of Deng and the emotional roller coasters that both of those have been Thibs shows with an average talent team (overall), a system and an incredible work ethic can lead to success in the league. Shame Boston let him go….:(
    Defensive Player of the Year: Joakim Noah, mainly as the anchor of the Bulls D rotation, but also for incredible individual play and hustle all year long. Tough one this as I also thought hard about Iguadola (check the stats on this one!) and DeAndre Jordan (again, stats will likely surprise you).
    Most Improved: Dragic. A classic example of a guy who perfectly suits a certain coach's philosophy, he has been outstanding this year. Also grabbed his opportunity with both arms when Bledsoe went down hurt and carried a Suns team that pre-season was tipped to win just north of 20games.

Not really going to bother with 6th Man, bit of a silly one IMO

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Going to play spoilsport here and say it shouldn't have counted as Love didn't bring BOTH feet back behind the baseline before he passed. According to the rules, whilst in mid air your leg is deemed to be where it last touched the ground (so in court in this instance), so he has committed a violation.

I'm still amazed how many players (young and old) get this one wrong - you often see it manifest itself when a player jumps over the halfway line, catches the ball in mid air and lands in the front court - so it's a backcourt violation……..

All that said, Love's passing accuracy over distances no-one else in the league can even come close to is incredible. He's been doing this since his college days too. I have previously posted on this one. The guy is so, so talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

The ButtersSuki Awards 203-2014:

MVP: Durant. Yes, LeBron is still a better player, but for this season I'm going with KD given the load(s) he had to carry (Perkins, the coach and Westbrook's injury) plus the fact that he's had 2 back to back awesome seasons now (50/40/90 last year with the 2nd highest scoring average ever after Larry Legend, and just shy of that this year on a higher ppg).
    Rookie of the Year: MCW
    Coach of the Year: Thibs. Given the injury (again), the loss of Deng and the emotional roller coasters that both of those have been Thibs shows with an average talent team (overall), a system and an incredible work ethic can lead to success in the league. Shame Boston let him go….:(
    Defensive Player of the Year: Joakim Noah, mainly as the anchor of the Bulls D rotation, but also for incredible individual play and hustle all year long. Tough one this as I also thought hard about Iguadola (check the stats on this one!) and DeAndre Jordan (again, stats will likely surprise you).
    Most Improved: Dragic. A classic example of a guy who perfectly suits a certain coach's philosophy, he has been outstanding this year. Also grabbed his opportunity with both arms when Bledsoe went down hurt and carried a Suns team that pre-season was tipped to win just north of 20games.

Not really going to bother with 6th Man, bit of a silly one IMO

MVP - Durant
    Rookie - MCW
    Coach - Pop
    Most Improved - Anthony Davis or Gerald Green
    6th Man - Nick Young :cool: but I doubt he'll get it

Left out defensive cause I'd be lying if I picked one as I don't consistently pay much attention to an individual's defence when I watch games

MVP - Durant
    Rookie - MCW
    Coach - Pop
    Most Improved - Anthony Davis or Gerald Green
    6th Man - Nick Young SWAGGY P:cool: but I doubt he'll get it

Left out defensive cause I'd be lying if I picked one as I don't consistently pay much attention to an individual's defence when I watch games

FYP.

That gave me a good laugh, thanks! :D

Can't disagree on one level on Pop, franchise record wins (incredibly given the aging team and injuries this year) whilst resting players, great system too etc., but I gave not to Thibs given the setbacks he had this year.

FYP.

That gave me a good laugh, thanks! :D

Can't disagree on one level on Pop, franchise record wins (incredibly given the aging team and injuries this year) whilst resting players, great system too etc., but I gave not to Thibs given the setbacks he had this year.

:D If he didn't get injured he may have had a good chance, based on scoring only. His assists? What assists?

Yeah I think Pop and the Spurs get overlooked sometimes and are taken for granted because of their consistency.

• Advertisement

:D If he didn't get injured he may have had a good chance, based on scoring only. His assists? What assists?

Yeah I think Pop and the Spurs get overlooked sometimes and are taken for granted because of their consistency.

His D. What D? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Fair dues to Indy on getting the 1 seed but Jesus, what a struggle just to get it. Have they deserved it?? Well imo, they have (no doubt they were the best team in the East for the majority) but the last month and a bit has raised way more questions than there are answers. After the impressive start they went on, a mid-season lull was to be expected but they pretty much s**t the bed and collapsed, barely staggering over the line. Relying on the Heat basically bricking it while they struggled themselves played a massive part and pretty much got them the #1.

I'm not hating but George clearly isn't a superstar he's being made out to be. He can have 1 good game and follow it by chucking up around 20 shots with barely a quarter of them dropping. Another problem is that Hibbert isn't getting the amount of rebounds a 7'2 should. He should be comfortably getting at least 10 boards a game.

kmart6 wrote: »
    Oh for **** sake, you are not part of the team!!

You new around here kmart? :rolleyes:

Ah come on now, you should know the score by now when it comes to a certain poster and Indy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Ah come on now, you should know the score by now when it comes to a certain poster and Indy.

Kmart has been here since year dot. We hav't been graced by his presence as much this season due to(I presume!) the Lakers struggles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Nothing but bragging rights at stake in NY tonight. BK are probably the team I fear most for the Pacers in the playoffs. They have so many guys who are tried and tested playoff vets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Coach of the year I'd probably give to Popovich, what he's done is amazing, but a couple of notes on Thibs.

I posted at the start of the season how the Bulls were taking health more seriously, and that was a bit of a knock on Thibs in previous years that he ran players into the ground. One game left in the regular season and everyone's healthy (with one obvious exception). Great to see Noah in particular stay healthy, he was always in and out before with plantar fascitis, but his missed very little time this season. And that's been a key to their success, the same 5 starters playing together every night.

The offensive design has improved too, it's been enjoyable to watch this season, which wasn't really the case last season without Rose. Using Noah to orchestrate the offense was a pretty innovative move I think. The offense is a well-oiled machine now, and if the shots don't always go down (like against the Knicks the other night), they always create good attempts.

The teams still hangs its hat on defense, but just thought they were two areas where they've improved from last year.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

[QUOTE=ButtersSuki;89951518]Going to play spoilsport here and say it shouldn't have counted as Love didn't bring BOTH feet back behind the baseline before he passed. According to the rules, whilst in mid air your leg is deemed to be where it last touched the ground (so in court in this instance), so he has committed a violation.

I'm still amazed how many players (young and old) get this one wrong - you often see it manifest itself when a player jumps over the halfway line, catches the ball in mid air and lands in the front court - so it's a backcourt violation……..

All that said, Love's passing accuracy over distances no-one else in the league can even come close to is incredible. He's been doing this since his college days too. I have previously posted on this one. The guy is so, so talented.[/QUOTE]

I had a feeling you would, tbh :pac:

Knicks romping home with the W. Hopefully Denver - Clippers will be a lot more entertaining.

A blowout after one quarter so I stopped watching at half time.

Last round of regular season games tonight.

Memphis @ Dallas will be intriguing in regards to seeding. Memphis, like Brooklyn last night might tank the game. Despite beating OKC in the second round last season, I think they'd rather face the Spurs and so, will lose tonight. The Mavs won't mind getting OKC as their games for the most part have been usually very close, down a few possession ball game more or less.

Chicago @ Charlotte is another one of note. If I'm not mistaken, the Bulls with a loss tonight will avoid meeting Miami in the second round. I'm not sure they'll mind meeting up with Miami, the likes of Noah certainly won't. In turn, while they'll be happy just playing playoff basketball as it is, if the Bobcats win tonight, they'll avoid Miami in the first round.

Brooklyn @ Cleveland, Brooklyn will throw this surely like last night to avoid the Bulls early doors and get the Raptors. They'll need the Wizards to beat Boston tonight though as well. In saying that, Toronto is a team I wouldn't set out to meet given their form and the atmosphere at the Air Canada Center going up a few notches this season.

Lastly, if OKC wins at home tonight against Detroit, they rap up that second seed spot. Lose, and the Clippers (they'll be without Griffin) win in Portland, they'll meet with either Mavericks or Grizliesz. However, the Grizz always give the Clippers a hell of a game.

Interesting night ahead any way you look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'm hoping that results transpire tonight so we avoid the Nets in the first round. It's a matchup I certainly don't want. I don't really care about Miami or Indiana in the second round as we will have to face them at some stage if we progress through the playoffs anyway, but avoiding the Nets would mean we have more left in the tank for the next round (providing we get through).

The below is quite a good article from Matt Moore of CBS which details the playoff teams including why each one is dangerous, their weakness, their ceiling and their floor:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24527682/the-nba-playoffs-threat-matrix-how-dangerous-are-all-the-teams

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe wrote: »
    Outstanding, they don't get better than that !!!!

Legal plays maybe? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Pacers already No. 1 seed in the East. Tonight's game with Orlando. Hopefully the minutes go to the bench guys. I'd like to see Watson, Copeland, Scola and Mahinmi have good performances. If we are going to win that place in the final, These guys are going to be a huge factor. Copeland has had limited playing time this season but I get a feeling he will have an impact in the post season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

buyer95 wrote: »
    Kmart has been here since year dot. We hav't been graced by his presence as much this season due to(I presume!) the Lakers struggles.

To be honest the main reason I don't really post here is every time I look in on the thread there is a constant stream of sh1te from one poster and it just became a bit unbearable. Makes the thread very hard to follow and not enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

quick question regarding league pass as was thinking of getting it in for the playoffs. I cant watch games live as im generally up for work the next morning. Are the results posted on the home screen as I dont like to know the outcome before I watch a game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

stuchyg wrote: »
    quick question regarding league pass as was thinking of getting it in for the playoffs. I cant watch games live as im generally up for work the next morning. Are the results posted on the home screen as I dont like to know the outcome before I watch a game

They are posted but there's an option to turn them off :)

That Nets loss yesterday opened up some new scenarios for the Bulls. Can finish 4th now and face the Wizards if the Nets lose again (which would be great).

Or the worst scenario is they climb to 3rd, Nets tank to 6th, and they face them anyway (and then Miami in the 2nd round).

I expect the Bulls to beat the Bobcats, interesting to see what happens in the Nets-Cavs came. Wouldn't be surprised if the Nets lose to slip to 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

2 tough games for raptors and bulls tonight to grab that 3rd seed,think derozan might sit it out tonight,i can see the nicks winning too, i hope not though cos if both wizards and raptors win they play eachother which suits me (raptors) just fine:)

This is what I love about the NBA. The season is ending but it's really all just getting started in a few days.

Spurs about to be the only team with under 20 losses if they beat Swaggy P and the Lakers tonight!

Nice little segment on Comcast there detailing the Bulls doubling Jefferson. Seems to be working so far as he's 1-5 from the field through one quarter.

Horrendous last few minutes to the half though, Bobcats lead 43-39 after a 20-6 run.

Great crowd in Charlotte tonight, think they're gonna enjoy the playoffs.

Great to see Michael Jordan too. :cool:

Oh, the Nets are tanking, starting 5 reserves...

[Kidd] will start Jorge Gutierrez, Marquis Teague, Andray Blatche, Marcus Thornton - a group that made a combined seven starts this season.

Kidd quickly dismissed the idea he was intentionally trying to lose the game so the Nets (44-37) would avoid playing Chicago in the first round of the playoffs.

:)

• Advertisement

Would probably be in the Bulls' best interest to lose, don't want that 3-seed now. Still playing hard though.

Advertisement