Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,837 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Right, there have been numerous reported posts in connection with this thread over the past couple of days and a quick glance shows plenty of evidence of some truely appalling posting. I am therefore closing the thread pending a review by local mods. If anyone attempts to take the discussion elsewhere before the local mods reopen this thread they can expect a ban from the forum

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Beasty wrote: »
    Right, there have been numerous reported posts in connection with this thread over the past couple of days and a quick glance shows plenty of evidence of some truely appalling posting. I am therefore closing the thread pending a review by local mods. If anyone attempts to take the discussion elsewhere before the local mods reopen this thread they can expect a ban from the forum

Just to follow on from this, I won't be able to get to a PC til later tonight (I'm on my phone at the moment). If another mod gets to have a look at it before then, so be it, but if not, then it'll remain closed til early tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

OK I'm going to reopen this thread. Several posters have been banned for the chaos that has reigned here in the last couple of days.

I would ask everyone to read the mod note HERE before posting again.

To reiterate, if you have a problem with a post, simply report it by clicking this button report.gif underneath it and a moderator's attention will be drawn to it. There are hundreds of posts on this forum every day so we can't be expected to trawl through each thread.

If you feel yourself getting angry, it's best to log off, close your browser and cool off for a while before posting again. Posting while angry means you are more likely to post something stupid and be banned for it.

This is everyone's one and only warning. Ignorance of this warning is not a defence if you break the rules. And because of the amount of trouble in this thread, infractions will be the starting point for posts that break the rules.

Play nice.
    Up the Déise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Anyone know how the minors are shaping up? Must be out in a few weeks time at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Thank god this thread is up and running again.I like reading this thread to see how the Waterford teams are shaping up and it was sad to see people on both sides of the argument drag the thread into the gutter.The carry on from certain posters on both sides of the argument was embarrassing.East Waterford Waterford City or West Waterford who gives a rattling sh!t Waterford is Waterford.Let's wait until after the championship at the very least before writing off the management.Waterford are being written off way too easily for my liking.The league is for playing and the championship is for winning.I have no doubt that our lad's will have to be at their very best to beat Waterford as per usual.It's early April there's over a month to get things sorted and to get the wagon back on the road.Sure we got relegated last year and we nearly pulled an all ireland out of the bag although admittedly we got a few lucky breaks along the way.League hurling and championship hurling are two completely different beasts.I think the winners of our game will land the munster title.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

Thank god this thread is up and running again.I like reading this thread to see how the Waterford teams are shaping up and it was sad to see people on both sides of the argument drag the thread into the gutter.The carry on from certain posters on both sides of the argument was embarrassing.East Waterford Waterford City or West Waterford who gives a rattling sh!t Waterford is Waterford.Let's wait until after the championship at the very least befwriting off the management.Waterford are being written off way too easily for my liking.The league is for playing and the championship is for winning.I have no doubt that our lad's will have to be at their very best to beat Waterford as per usual.It's early April there's over a month to get things sorted and to get the wagon back on the road.Sure we got relegated last year and we nearly pulled an all ireland out of the bag although admittedly we got a few lucky breaks along the way.League hurling and championship hurling are two completely different beasts.I think the winners of our game will land the munster title.

To be fair lad I think yere a couple years down the line from where we are. I thought ye were in no mans land after getting relegated but was really impressed with ye as the championship progressed. The skill level and stickwork particularly of yere forwards was a joy to behold. Theres a perception among some folk here that ye shouldnt be any better than us. We could and probably should have beat ye 2 years ago in an AI quarter in thurles but since then ye have kicked on no end under JBM while we have regressed alarmingly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 double standards

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

robopaddy wrote: »
    Anyone know how the minors are shaping up? Must be out in a few weeks time at this stage.
    as far as i know they played Dublin last week and done well ,the match was played in carriganore fri night ,now why it could not be played in Walsh Park before the relegation play off is beyond me,now why i say this ,i was speaking to a former minor manager lately and he told me when he was in charge of the minors (almost 4 years )they never played a match in Walsh Park ,that has to be wrong .

as far as i know they played Dublin last week and done well ,the match was played in carriganore fri night ,now why it could not be played in Walsh Park before the relegation play off is beyond me,now why i say this ,i was speaking to a former minor manager lately and he told me when he was in charge of the minors (almost 4 years )they never played a match in Walsh Park ,that has to be wrong .

No harm keeping things quiet and under wraps either though. I reckon we'll be pretty strong again. There or thereabouts anyway judging by the quality of players available. Limerick I think will take beating this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

No harm keeping things quiet and under wraps either though. I reckon we'll be pretty strong again. There or thereabouts anyway judging by the quality of players available. Limerick I think will take beating this year.

Limerick seem to be the team to beat alright. Tough ask going to Ennis next wens night but hopefully last year's experience will stand to the likes of Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett and Cormac Curran etc. Will Darragh Lyons start? He's another good prospect definitely one to look out for in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

avonmore wrote: »
    Folks, it mightn't be a bad idea to get away from the doom and gloom of the Country set up by discussing the club championship.

The two groups....

Passage, Abbeyside, De La Salle, Fourmilewater, Roanmore, Lismore.

Ballygunner, Mount Sion, Dungarvan, Ballyduff, Tallow, Ardmore

Even allowing for Passages brilliant victory last year, I would rate the teams in three tiers as below.

Ballygunner, De La Salle, Mount Sion.

Passage, Abbeyside, Ballyduff, Lismore, Fourmilewater, Dungarvan

Tallow, Roanmore and Ardmore.

I group one DLS and Passage will definitely qualify, it will be a dog fight between Abbeyside, Lismore and Foumilewater for 2 of 3.

Lismore were very bad last year and would need to improve. Fourmilewater and Abbeyside are always very strong in the early rounds until the football gets in the way.

As for the second group, I would say Ballygunner, Mount Sion, Dungarvan and Ballyduff will all make the knockouts.

Ballyduff were by far the most competitive of the teams in the far west last year. Ardmore just coming up will definitely target Tallow who have been in decline now for a few years and will be vulnerable.
    Hard to disagree with any of that. Passage had a good win over Dungarvan last weekend even though conditions were miserable it made it hard for both teams to play any type of decent hurling. Dungarvan will be well organised this year with James O Connor at the helm. It seems he's trying to play to their strengths by using the possession game and come the drier weather and faster ground they could be dark horses for the Championship.
    Of course the big 2,DLS and B/Gunner will take all the beating and include into that last year's Champions Passage and all of a sudden it has the look of a tasty Championship.
    You would think that it will be Roanmore Tallow and Ardmore will slug it out for relegation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 AnFearFada

cul beag wrote: »
    Hard to disagree with any of that. Passage had a good win over Dungarvan last weekend even though conditions were miserable it made it hard for both teams to play any type of decent hurling. Dungarvan will be well organised this year with James O Connor at the helm. It seems he's trying to play to their strengths by using the possession game and come the drier weather and faster ground they could be dark horses for the Championship.
    Of course the big 2,DLS and B/Gunner will take all the beating and include into that last year's Champions Passage and all of a sudden it has the look of a tasty Championship.
    You would think that it will be Roanmore Tallow and Ardmore will slug it out for relegation.

I think Mount Sion will be the dark horses this year and will be there or thereabouts if they can have a bit more luck than last year with injuries, but of course DLS and Ballygunner will never be far away.
    Dungarvan alright will probably pose the biggest challenge from the West. James O'Connor will have them well drilled.
    It is sad to see the demise of Tallow. I saw them twice last year and they had absolutely nothing to offer.

cul beag wrote: »
    Limerick seem to be the team to beat alright. Tough ask going to Ennis next wens night but hopefully last year's experience will stand to the likes of Patrick Curran, Shane Bennett and Cormac Curran etc. Will Darragh Lyons start? He's another's good prospect definitely one to look out for in the future.

Id imagine he will. Possibly wing back, he can score too but I think weve plenty forwards. Colm roche is still on the age aswell then youve conor gleeson, shane ryan, sean hogan, mj sutton, to name but a few. Ennis will be hard to go to but i think its not as good a clare team as theyve had in recent seasons. Cork and tipp are going to be strong so clare is probably as good a draw as we couldve got.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

dont know about that ,keeping it under wraps any one that would have an interest would be there opposition managers/selectors

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Robo I don't know about having plenty of forwards..

Waternut wrote: »
    Robo I don't know about having plenty of forwards..

time will tell. If we can beat clare wed be in to a munster semi in june. Lose and it would mean a v tough back door draw a week or 2 later. We know what we have to do anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Id imagine he will. Possibly wing back, he can score too but I think weve plenty forwards. Colm roche is still on the age aswell then youve conor gleeson, shane ryan, sean hogan, mj sutton, to name but a few. Ennis will be hard to go to but i think its not as good a clare team as theyve had in recent seasons. Cork and tipp are going to be strong so clare is probably as good a draw as we couldve got.
    Quite a few injuries on the panel from what I hear, including Roche and p Curran, heard neither will be available for Clare match, Curran has concussion and is technically not supposed to play for 6 weeks I think ? Not sure when he got the bang though, jack Macarty is another , back pin I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Quite a few injuries on the panel from what I hear, including Roche and p Curran, heard neither will be available for Clare match, Curran has concussion and is technically not supposed to play for 6 weeks I think ? Not sure when he got the bang though, jack Macarty is another , back pin I think
    Shane Bennett missed the match between Dungarvan and Blackwater CBS last week through injury too, hope it's not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

There was county minor foorball championship on sunday morning and also the pitch wouldn't hold up that well for the senior game after the recent weathering its taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

Thank god those trolls of the last few days seem to be banned off this thread now and are staying away from writing their tripe. Lets focus on pure gaa chat from here on in and stay away from the abuseful comments that have infiltrated the thread recently
    Deise ABU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Lesson to be learned here lads. Don't Feed the Trolls :cool:

Anyone else looking forward to subscribing to sky sports to watch GAA games :rolleyes: what a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Hslaw wrote: »
    Lesson to be learned here lads. Don't Feed the Trolls :cool:

Anyone else looking forward to subscribing to sky sports to watch GAA games :rolleyes: what a joke

I don't think it's all that bad, Sky are mainly showing football games it seems and we don't really seem to be too bothered by that going on the ratio of football to hurling posts here :P

At least we don't have to listen to Matt Cooper spoofin anymore on TV3! If Sky can make two fat lumps on a stage throwing darts interesting imagine what they'll do for the global appeal of the GAA?

The drawback (other than the auld lads up the hills growlin about not having the channel to watch a game and having to travel to games) is it could hit the amateur nature of the game down the line if there's serious money generated from it.

Ropaire wrote: »
    haha was brilliant.....I'll definitely be pressing the red button for fanzone on Waterford Tipperary, "well boi, waaaaaaa? well boi, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Everyone knows the 3 trolls by now, don't bother responding they'll be gone soon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭deisedude

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Everyone knows the 3 trolls by now, don't bother responding they'll be gone soon

Agreed and remember to report their posts. Moderators are unpaid volunteers giving up their free time and don't have time to trawl through all this thread so help them out and report posts

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    haha was brilliant.....I'll definitely be pressing the red button for fanzone on Waterford Tipperary, "well boi, waaaaaaa? well boi, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

I cracked up laughing at it, esp that fanzone part. The voiceover for Mullane was pretty funny too, "something something something, blaaa". Lets hope its not the only time this year Maurice cuts through Tipp like a knife through butter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Jaysus, I didn't realise how soon it was that the minors are out next week, year is flying.
    Hopefully the injuries we have are not too bad, if we are without Patrick Curran and Roche that's a big blow.
    If we win it'll be a semi in June but if we lose it'll be a play off v most likely Kerry and then the losers of Limerick/Cork (and I'm sure we'd be at home there given we played both away last year). So I wouldn't be too concerned if we lose up in Ennis, we'll still have at least another game and then most likely with a full strength squad.

As for Sky possibly getting GAA games, some joke tbh. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and would hate to see anyone other than RTE showing the games, not to mention probably having to subscribe to watch your team play. The British have no interest either in GAA so I reckon viewing figures will be confined mainly to Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cake Man wrote: »
    Jaysus, I didn't realise how soon it was that the minors are out next week, year is flying.
    Hopefully the injuries we have are not too bad, if we are without Patrick Curran and Roche that's a big blow.
    If we win it'll be a semi in June but if we lose it'll be a play off v most likely Kerry and then the losers of Limerick/Cork (and I'm sure we'd be at home there given we played both away last year). So I wouldn't be too concerned if we lose up in Ennis, we'll still have at least another game and then most likely with a full strength squad.

As for Sky possibly getting GAA games, some joke tbh. I'm a bit of a traditionalist and would hate to see anyone other than RTE showing the games, not to mention probably having to subscribe to watch your team play. The British have no interest either in GAA so I reckon viewing figures will be confined mainly to Irish.

Nope one of the ridiculous things about the Limerick Munster final last year was apparently that wasn't a home game. And so the two games were at 'neutral' grounds so therefore Limerick will have home advantage if we play them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Nope one of the ridiculous things about the Limerick Munster final last year was apparently that wasn't a home game. And so the two games were at 'neutral' grounds so therefore Limerick will have home advantage if we play them.

You know what, I was just thinking that as I typed that last post. I recall there being some uproar that it didn't actually count as a home game for Limerick, what a f joke.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement