Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

I just get the sense with Canning that people want him to be the best hurler of all time and have done since he was 16, that they can say they've tracked his career from start to finish, saw every strike of a ball and so on.

I don't feel he has delivered on that (though he has seen a notable improvement the last two years) and there was a lot of over-rating his contributions the first two years. Wouldn't deny he played very well against 14 man Cork, but still think it's a bit over hyped. We're all about hype these days and I feel like it's just another example. Not to discredit your opinion, sorry if it came across that way, you were there I'm sure after the Offaly game so if that's how you feel fair enough.

Nonetheless, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Ok I get what your saying now just didnt know what way to read into your previous post. Yea that day a lot of people like me were looking forward to seeing joe canning in the flesh and what all the fuss was about as it was his first big intercounty game. personally I couldnt beleive how good he was. My jaw was literally on the floor. But id agree since then he hasnt really repeated that form and in fairness he probably carries too much of a burden at times as he did that day in thurles.
    So id be in agreement with you in certain regards but I definetly dont classify myself as one of these people who you classify as someone who likes to big joe up just because hes joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

if you want to see over hyped see Stephen bennet for Waterford...he hasn't even come as a sub yet and already he is being pushed as a messiah for Waterford hurling (hope he deos)
    however I would be worried for the length of his career as he has suffered some serious injuries already...better to leave him rest for a year or two IMO

could you imagine the hype if canning was from Waterford!!!

I actually don't think it would be the same. It would be massive in Waterford, but he'd probably have been turned at this stage. Like Galway often seem to be blamed for holding Canning back, whereas I couldn't see the same being said in Waterford being honest with you.

And most importantly Galway have this national media hype that we don't, which adds to Canning being talked about so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Anyone know when the minor team is named?

Being away, haven't heard anything about our chances this year.

Do we have any lads from last years team still involved..?

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Anyone know when the minor team is named?

Being away, haven't heard anything about our chances this year.

Do we have any lads from last years team still involved..?

Yeah, Shane Bennett, Mark O Brien (I think), Colm Roche, Cormac Curran, Conor Gleeson, Patrick Curran another lad from ferrybank is it MJ Sutton or something? Not sure but he came on in the Munster final replay. Shane Ryan of DLS was on the panel but never played, but seemingly lit it up for DLS U21s last year. Those would be the ones Id know of anyway. And Darragh Lyons will be coming in this year following his performances for Dungarvan last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

What sort of a team will the footballers have out v Carlow today? Experimental?

• Advertisement

What sort of a team will the footballers have out v Carlow today? Experimental?

Nah the same team they've been sending out consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

Thanks. They should have enough to deal with Carlow then

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

eoin Kelly must be in there with reckoning....practically dragged waterford to all Ireland in 08 with his scores

pity they never seemed to get the best of him after it:(

*ken for me too....he was unreal at his best
    you can single handely blame Davy Fitz for that one ,

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

robopaddy wrote: »
    Fantastic hurler. 08' was when he really peaked to be fair along with mullane he really flourished under davy. Both had always been inconsistent and at times tempermental particularly during justins era, despite their obvious brilliance. But the likes of flynn mcgrath browne and shanahan were maybe not what they were by the time davy came so the 2 lads really stepped up over the next couple of years. Mullane in particular.

God when you think back at the talented players at our disposal then, it was exciting times.

2007 is the best year of hurling Waterford has ever produced. But unfortunately we fell short.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

Waterford Minor Hurling Team to play Clare in the opening round of the 2014 Munster Minor Championship on Wednesday next in Ennis at 6.30pm
    1 Billy Nolan Roanmore
    2 David Prendergast Lismore
    3 Eddie Hayden Ballygunner
    4 Darragh Lyons Dungarvan
    5 Conor Prunty Abbeyside
    6 Shane Bennett Ballysaggart
    7 Shane Murray Cappoquin
    8 Conor Gleeson Four-Mile-Water
    9 Edmond O Halloran Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    10 Joe Allen Dungarvan
    11 Cormac Curran Brickey Rangers
    12 Shane Ryan (Capt.) De La Salle
    13 Peter Hogan Ballygunner
    14 Patrick Curran Dungarvan
    15 Andy Molumby Cappoquin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Waterford Minor Hurling Team to play Clare in the opening round of the 2014 Munster Minor Championship on Wednesday next in Ennis at 6.30pm
    1 Billy Nolan Roanmore
    5 Conor Prunty Abbeyside
    7 Shane Murray Cappoquin
    10 Joe Allen Dungarvan

Roche is a big loss, but looking forward to seeing O Halloran and Lyons in particular, best of luck to all involved though, always a tough venue to visit, hopefully it wont feel like a longer than usual trip back like a few weeks ago with the seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Taken from Blue and White GAA

Minors v Clare Wed

Substitutes
    16. Jordan Henley (Tallow)
    17. Sean Hogan (Passage)
    18. Jack Mullaney (Stradbally)
    19. Michael Cronin (Ardmore)
    20. Eddie Meaney (De La Salle)
    21. Mark Shanahan (Erins Own)
    22. John Kennedy (Ballyduff Upper)
    23. Tony O’Brien (Roanmore)
    24. Aaron O’Sullivan (Cappoquin)

Extended Panel
    Colm Roche (Shamrocks)
    Sean Daly (Abbeyside)
    Shane Nugent (Brickey Rangers)
    Brian Cunningham (De La Salle)
    Sean Tracey (Passage)
    Evan Curran (Mount Sion)
    Ryan Coady (Roanmore)

Also think MJ Sutton is out for a while after Hip Op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

1 Billy Nolan Roanmore
    5 Conor Prunty Abbeyside
    7 Shane Murray Cappoquin
    10 Joe Allen Dungarvan

Very good team on paper, there's goals in that full forward line

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Massive shout naming an u16 player who plays midfield for club & county under his own age between the posts in Ennis hopefully it all goes well I haven't seen the lad play in goal but I have been told he's a good lad. Big call

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Massive shout naming an u16 player who plays midfield for club & county under his own age between the posts in Ennis hopefully it all goes well I haven't seen the lad play in goal but I have been told he's a good lad. Big call
    played in goal for Roanmore in last years minor team I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Any idea how long Colm Roche is out for?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Any idea how long Colm Roche is out for?

If they lose he wont be available for the qualifiers 2 weeks later anyway. Sutton is a big loss too. Need to win it to keep these lads hurling for the summer. Lose and its the losers of tipp and limk 2 weeks later with no disrespect to kerry

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    played in goal for Roanmore in last years minor team I think?

Yes your dead right he did indeed. unfortunately I didn't get to see him myself last yr and he plays midfield on county u16 team I'm also told

1 Billy Nolan Roanmore
    5 Conor Prunty Abbeyside
    7 Shane Murray Cappoquin
    10 Joe Allen Dungarvan

Surprised at the positioning of lyons

Surprised Sean Hogan isn't starting, scored a few goals in the County championship last year including the County Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Plenty of decent players on that minor team, delighted to see Paddy Curran make it although it remains to be seen if he's 100% fit.
    Remember seeing a good few of those players on Tony Forristal teams the last few years - Edmond O'Halloran definitely stood out, Shane Murray another.
    Billy Nolan is a surprise in goal, I never knew him as a keeper. He would have been our standout player at TF about 2 years ago reaching the final v KK where he played midfield/forward throughout.

Still though, good team and the few lads from last year - the Currans, Gleeson, Bennett will add experience. Plenty on here gave very positive reviews about Lyons and Molumby recently too. Disappointing to be without Roche and MJ Sutton but the team is good enough to get a result IMO.

I know I'm pushing the boat out but I doubt this game will be live on WLR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

sure doesnt KK's keeper play outfield for club and college ? does them no harm

sure doesnt KK's keeper play outfield for club and college ? does them no harm

Yor dead right hopefully were the same. I say clare fm might cover it if ye go online ya can catch it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

The minor squad for the future of the county best of luck Wednesday lads

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Mossy Walsh. Heard of a Hennebry down around Clonea Power. Don't know too many Shanahans myself.
    Mossy O'Keeffe of Passage, Ballygunner and Waterford. Mossy Whelan, Portlaw and Waterford. Jimmy Hennebry, Portlaw and Waterford. Also there was a Hennebrys shop on Slievekeale though the name over the door was the more patriotic De hIndeberg

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

if anyone knows a little bit more about this minor team, could they give a bit of feed back on what to expect from alot of these guys, this is the first year that i must admitt i know very little about alot of these, just a bit of a pen picture breakdown, ie big, stong skilfull, aggressive good striker type thing.
    How would in your opinion does this team compare to last years?, and how has this present group performed underage?.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

1 Billy Nolan Roanmore
    5 Conor Prunty Abbeyside
    7 Shane Murray Cappoquin
    10 Joe Allen Dungarvan

Young Nolan has looked very good from what ive seen, great shotstopper and solid puck outs, has looked good so far under high balls, but obviously championship might affect an u16

Would be worried about the fullback line bar Lyons, seems he is in there to solidify

Half-back line looks very solid. Everybody knows what Bennett can do, Prunty looks to be a good partner to Bennett, as Bennett likes to attack. Dont know much about Murray

Midfield is experienced with two lads from last year! could expect gleeson and cormac curran to swap if height is needed in midfield

Joe Allan has been a real star turn in challenges this year, great under a high ball and a very strong runner, Cormac Curran = Ball winner, without disrespecting Ryan being captain helped him make team, very talented free taker, hot-cold player

No point talking about Patrick Curran, except hes probably hasnt been training as much as last year(rightly so for a lad who never gets a break), Peter Hogan ton pick off scores, and molumphy to pick up dirty ball and goal threat.

Sean Hogan a goal threat from the bench. Mullany a hard worker to come in for a tiring middle third. Not much else on the bench which might be a worry bar maybe O'Sullivan who has talent and be hard to handle for some backs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Slobbery wrote: »
    I would have said we would be heading back to the doldrums with out them but we are not and we never will again, we are still there, we are still capable of putting it up anyone.

Thats an extremely dangerous assumption to make Slobbery no county is immune from failure, complacency leads to inevitable failure.
    I just get the sense with Canning that people want him to be the best hurler of all time and have done since he was 16, that they can say they've tracked his career from start to finish, saw every strike of a ball and so on.

I don't feel he has delivered on that (though he has seen a notable improvement the last two years) and there was a lot of over-rating his contributions the first two years. Wouldn't deny he played very well against 14 man Cork, but still think it's a bit over hyped. We're all about hype these days and I feel like it's just another example. Not to discredit your opinion, sorry if it came across that way, you were there I'm sure after the Offaly game so if that's how you feel fair enough.

Nonetheless, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Completely agree Mountain, its more of a myth now at this stage, I have regularly made the arguement that I wouldnt actually even rate him as the best hurler in his family let alone the country as some so openly claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Young Nolan has looked very good from what ive seen, great shotstopper and solid puck outs, has looked good so far under high balls, but obviously championship might affect an u16

He certainly has the pedigree being a son of Eddie from the 80's team. He is also a talented soccer player but is turning his back on the Waterford development squad to concentrate on hurling. Considering he has a brother who is playing soccer professionally that is some dedication. Fair play, I hope he has the success he deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

M.J. Sutton ferrybank, What is his best position, and how would that impact on this team Named?, Also What is his injury, and how Long will he be out for?, i Know colm roche, so i presume he would be Centre forward, with cormac gone to midfield or possible to the wing with team captain under pressure, and again anyone in the know ,What is his injury ? and how long is he out for, I presume both must be significant, as you would do your best to be back for this game, Also what is the state of Play with stephen bennett is he injured at the moment?, or is he training with the senior panel, also Darragh fives was his injury against dublin, a new injury or a continuation of his previous and very much consistant injury woes?, please no speculation, just relevant facts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement