Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    if we lose to Cork we could only have one more match against Galway/Dublin/Kilkenny/Offaly or Wexford. So we could only play 2 games this year in the championship sad to think

If theres amy pessimism you can be guaranteed to snuff it out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seananigans

to be fair, a fair bit or realism is needed ,who saw it happening to Tipp last year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,499 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

to be fair, a fair bit or realism is needed ,who saw it happening to Tipp last year ?

Ya but its never ending from that guy.

great looks like your basically sticking to team that got relegated ,backs that were overrun and forwards that cant score ,,,,,,,,,,brilliant

Well managent basically had 6 games to try out different things but they kept sticking with pretty much the same players despite a couple of pastings. so I cant really see them changing it too dramatically for the championship can you

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

The trip to Portugal might have unearthed surprises for the championship fingers crossed on that!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

robopaddy wrote: »
    Stephen bennett who I assume you mean wont be starting. Might see him as an impact sub later in the championship.

Yeah - meant Stephen. Maybe the lads have found some new forwards in Portugal - bolters for the Cork game with an eye for goal - Mossy Figo or Cristiano Hennebry? :)

Tramore84 wrote: »
    Yeah - meant Stephen. Maybe the lads have found some new forwards in Portugal - bolters for the Cork game with an eye for goal - Mossy Figo or Cristiano Hennebry? :)

As long as im in waterford ive never known a mossy or a hennebry.... but stranger things have happened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

As long as im in waterford ive never known a mossy or a hennebry.... but stranger things have happened!

Mossy Walsh. Heard of a Hennebry down around Clonea Power. Don't know too many Shanahans myself.

Mossy Walsh. Heard of a Hennebry down around Clonea Power. Don't know too many Shanahans myself.

Forgot about mossy walsh. One of our all time greats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Do you know if you told me around the mid 2000's that when we lost Paul Flynn, Ken McGrath, Dan Shanahan, Fergal Hartley, Eoin Murphy, Eoin Kelly and Tony Browne soon to follow (All Stars or multiple All Stars) I would have expected it to be alot more painful, we have lost a host of once in a generation hurlers who all came together on the one team (thanks be to god!). some of these guys will never be replaced... I would have said we would be heading back to the doldrums with out them but we are not and we never will again, we are still there, we are still capable of putting it up anyone. The legacy of our recent all-stars is the affect they have had on the numerous succesful tony forristal teams and recent all-ireland minor teams, being heros to these young players and making hurling the most popular sport inthe county, every young lad wants to play it and the standard of underage club hurling in the county is ridiculously high compared to what it was 15 years ago.
    I firmly believe we will look back at the 1998-2010 era as the start, the beginning, the Waterford hurling revolution - those great players didnt reach the promised land and recieve the celtic cross they richly deserved, but their efforts will bear us the supporters and the county fruit in time to come, in time their ambitions will be fulfilled by the young players who idolised them as their heros!

The bad days following Waterford ony serve to make the good days even more worth, we will rise again, hopefully in the not to distant future on a beautiful day in Thurles, doing what we do best upsetting the big boys.

We are now producing some of the best young hurlers in the country, we may need to be patient for a few years but we are on the way, its a great position to be in.

keep the faith! Deise Abu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

Flynn is irreplaceable. nothing comes close to him in Waterford history , present or current at all grades. unbelievable hurler.

babs123 wrote: »
    Flynn is irreplaceable. nothing comes close to him in Waterford history , present or current at all grades. unbelievable hurler.

Flynn was magic but it has to be Ken for me. Hands down. He had everything. A phenomenal competitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭deisedude

I've been living in Galway since 2011 and in my first year here i was at a qualifier game in salthill between Galway and Clare and Galway won by over 20 points. Fast forward to now and Clare are All Ireland champions. Goes to show its a funny game and a lot can change in a year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Well managent basically had 6 games to try out different things but they kept sticking with pretty much the same players despite a couple of pastings. so I cant really see them changing it too dramatically for the championship can you
    yeh i can actually ,you would think that some thing would have dawned on them by now ,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

Flynn was magic but it has to be Ken for me. Hands down. He had everything. A phenomenal competitor.

Ken by a mile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

redlead wrote: »
    Ken by a mile!

eoin Kelly must be in there with reckoning....practically dragged waterford to all Ireland in 08 with his scores

pity they never seemed to get the best of him after it:(

*ken for me too....he was unreal at his best

eoin Kelly must be in there with reckoning....practically dragged waterford to all Ireland in 08 with his scores

pity they never seemed to get the best of him after it:(

*ken for me too....he was unreal at his best

Eoin Kelly is actually very harshly judged. A lot of people have the opinion that he was a wasted talent, but when you look at his score rate over his career hes consistently up there with the best of them. He had tremendous skill. He was hurler of the year in 08 without doubt in my opinion.

Eoin Kelly is actually very harshly judged. A lot of people have the opinion that he was a wasted talent, but when you look at his score rate over his career hes consistently up there with the best of them. He had tremendous skill. He was hurler of the year in 08 without doubt in my opinion.

he was brilliant....though somedays he could give the impression of uninterested/little bit eccentric and still end up with 6 or 7 points
    what we'd give for him now:pac::pac:

he had some skill level and could beat a team on his own (see all Ireland run of 08)

Convinced Mullane was better that year, highest scorer from play in the championship, stood up in the all-ireland final even if it was too late. 0-8 points from play against Clare on a day when we were beaten up a stick without 3 of our best players says it all to me.

Convinced Mullane was better that year, highest scorer from play in the championship, stood up in the all-ireland final even if it was too late. 0-8 points from play against Clare on a day when we were beaten up a stick without 3 of our best players says it all to me.

Yeah didn't Mullane get 2-22 from play or something and no all star. Shefflin got 1-5 I think and picked one up. Thats an anstonishing scoreline from Mullane not to get an all star.

• Advertisement

Yeah didn't Mullane get 2-22 from play or something and no all star. Shefflin got 1-5 I think and picked one up. Thats an anstonishing scoreline from Mullane not to get an all star.

Joe Canning played one match and get in ahead of him. Was robbed that year.

he was brilliant....though somedays he could give the impression of uninterested/little bit eccentric and still end up with 6 or 7 points
    what we'd give for him now:pac::pac:
    U
    he had some skill level and could beat a team on his own (see all Ireland run of 08)

Fantastic hurler. 08' was when he really peaked to be fair along with mullane he really flourished under davy. Both had always been inconsistent and at times tempermental particularly during justins era, despite their obvious brilliance. But the likes of flynn mcgrath browne and shanahan were maybe not what they were by the time davy came so the 2 lads really stepped up over the next couple of years. Mullane in particular.

God when you think back at the talented players at our disposal then, it was exciting times.

Joe Canning played one match and get in ahead of him. Was robbed that year.

I still think that performance from canning v cork in thurles was the greatest ive ever seen. Just saying

I still think that performance from canning v cork in thurles was the greatest ive ever seen. Just saying

I think people like to say that alot.

I think people like to say that alot.

God will you lighten up. Youd give PTH a run for his money in dampening the mood here sometimes!

Fantastic hurler. 08' was when he really peaked to be fair along with mullane he really flourished under davy. Both had always been inconsistent and at times tempermental particularly during justins era, despite their obvious brilliance. But the likes of flynn mcgrath browne and shanahan were maybe not what they were by the time davy came so the 2 lads really stepped up over the next couple of years. Mullane in particular.

God when you think back at the talented players at our disposal then, it was exciting times.

god when you think all the games they lost by maybe a point or two after hitting maybe 15 or 16 wides and conceding relatively soft goals...it is sickening the longer it geos on and we seem farther from winning now than at any time since 98:(

06 and 07 (07 in particular) rackle they were at their best 07 IMO....they were even a little in decline in 08....
    they played better I taught in 07...that draw against cork is up there with the best game I was ever at!!
    if I remember eoin McGrath went for a goal right at the depth and got slated in a few places for not taking a point....they got a relatively handy free at the end 20 yards or so out and I couldn't bare to watch it for fear it would be missed

God will you lighten up. Youd give PTH a run for his money in dampening the mood here sometimes!

:confused:

:confused:

Dont know if ur discrediting my opinion.or what with that last post.....

Dont know if ur discrediting my opinion.or what with that last post.....

I just get the sense with Canning that people want him to be the best hurler of all time and have done since he was 16, that they can say they've tracked his career from start to finish, saw every strike of a ball and so on.

I don't feel he has delivered on that (though he has seen a notable improvement the last two years) and there was a lot of over-rating his contributions the first two years. Wouldn't deny he played very well against 14 man Cork, but still think it's a bit over hyped. We're all about hype these days and I feel like it's just another example. Not to discredit your opinion, sorry if it came across that way, you were there I'm sure after the Offaly game so if that's how you feel fair enough.

Nonetheless, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

• Advertisement

I just get the sense with Canning that people want him to be the best hurler of all time and have done since he was 16, that they can say they've tracked his career from start to finish, saw every strike of a ball and so on.

I don't feel he has delivered on that (though he has seen a notable improvement the last two years) and there was a lot of over-rating his contributions the first two years. Wouldn't deny he played very well against 14 man Cork, but still think it's a bit over hyped. We're all about hype these days and I feel like it's just another example. Not to discredit your opinion, sorry if it came across that way, you were there I'm sure after the Offaly game so if that's how you feel fair enough.

Nonetheless, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

if you want to see over hyped see Stephen bennet for Waterford...he hasn't even come as a sub yet and already he is being pushed as a messiah for Waterford hurling (hope he deos)
    however I would be worried for the length of his career as he has suffered some serious injuries already...better to leave him rest for a year or two IMO

could you imagine the hype if canning was from Waterford!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement