Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Callinan resigns.
    To be replaced by yet another Government supporting sheep.

If the Government want to do the decent thing now is the time to set up an independent promotions board to interview all candidates and prevent another pro Govt senior Garda being put in position to do their bidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Why am I getting images of fingers being prized off a ledge. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Interesting what will come out now.
    Unless they've padded his arse beyond all doubt.

Shameful what requires a resignation in Ireland.

I bet the ordinary rank and file garda will be delighted.

Niall Collins talking nonsense on PK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Somebody get the Kleenex for Paul Reynolds! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Commissioner hung out to dry and shafted by the government, hope he fires a parting shot to bring down the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Somebody get the Kleenex for Paul Reynolds! :D

..and some Andrex for the Bull Shatter.

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Commissioner hung out to dry and shafted by the government, hope he fires a parting shot to bring down the government.

We'd never be that lucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The government didn't put those words into his mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its probably asking too much in this little state but the whole top level of the Gardai needs re-configuring with a non cop as commissioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Just got word of Commissioner Callinan resigning and seen the Irish Times here stating "family and personal reason".

Well I hope, regardless of everything to date, I do Hope that both he & his family will Enjoy his Retirement and the time they now have together :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,785 ✭✭✭✭JRant

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Just got word of Commissioner Callinan resigning and seen the Irish Times here stating "family and personal reason".

Well I hope, regardless of everything to date, I do Hope that both he & his family will Enjoy his Retirement and the time they now have together :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

He shouldn't have been allowed to resign. The man should have been sacked. Now he gets to walk away with a gold plated pension for not doing his job properly.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Varadkar has played a blinder in this.
    Future looking brighter than ever. Not sure how I feel about that. Better than the crowd there at the moment i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Future looking brighter than ever. Not sure how I feel about that. Better than the crowd there at the moment i suppose.

I wonder will his "reward" be a spell in Angola?

I have to say, I have a lot of regard for the man. I disagree with much of his politics, but see him in the same vein as Mcdowell and O'Rourke, both of whom were pretty honest talkers, for politicians, although I rarely liked what they had to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

RTE Confirmation of the resignation

Link to the story. It is disgusting that it took this long

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

Will Shatter now correct the Dail record?

If you think Leo came out and made that speech for any other reason than to self-promote then you are a dreamer. These guys don't do a lot for the public good. Self-serving has always and will always come first with a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Kenny seems determined to keep Shatter in the cabinet so could we be looking at a full cabinet reshuffle in the next few days.

RTE Confirmation of the resignation

Link to the story. It is disgusting that it took this long

That's was seriously funny!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

He could have murdered half of Ireland and he'd still get his pension so could we not go down that old road please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

touts wrote: »
    Kenny seems determined to keep Shatter in the cabinet so could we be looking at a full cabinet reshuffle in the next few days.

Wonder where Leo will get shuffled to?

Put him into health and we'll soon see how good he is

He deserves to be rewarded with Health. :pac:

Any overt move against Varadakar, or the Labour ministers, would severely weaken Kenny publicly.
    It would be seen that he can not control his ministers, who are not even in half revolt

Any overt move against Varadakar, or the Labour ministers, would severely weaken Kenny publicly.
    It would be seen that he can not control his ministers, who are not even in half revolt

He's clearly lost control, there's and election looming and it's in callinans hands at the moment if he wants to drop a bombshell. The fact that the government didn't know of the resignation untill the last minute would indicate he's no longer willing to be their puppet and fall guy. This government is about to crack!

Yes but regaining control (at least publicly) would be his priority. Axing Leo and over-shuffling Labour ministers would show that he is overly frightened by the slightest dissent, I don't think that this will fracture the government but has totally weakened it.

Yes but regaining control (at least publicly) would be his priority. Axing Leo and over-shuffling Labour ministers would show that he is overly frightened by the slightest dissent, I don't think that this will fracture the government but has totally weakened it.

Should I avoid paying the LPT for a wee while longer then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This government is about to crack!

I think you're way off in your forecast, this isn't going to bring down a government, it may not even trip a minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

He's clearly lost control, there's and election looming and it's in callinans hands at the moment if he wants to drop a bombshell. The fact that the government didn't know of the resignation untill the last minute would indicate he's no longer willing to be their puppet and fall guy. This government is about to crack!

Labour won't pull down the government and force an election. It would be suicide at their current poll ratings. Their only hope is to hold on for two years and hope things turn around.

But a reshuffle might allow Kenny keep Shatter in the post but also re-impose his control over the cabinet.

Advertisement