Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

It's obvious what will happen now. Callinan will make a half hearted apology while reiterating his nonsense explanation of his "disgusting" remark. Vradkar and Coveney will get back on board the circling wagons having received a telling off from the dictator. It will be business as usual until the local and Euro elections, after which one of the ensuing investigations will reveal what we all know - that GSOC was being bugged and that AGS is corrupt. After which, Callinan and Shatter will resign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭fr3d12

I don't believe Varadkar's comments were not pre-approved on some level, he's one of the smartest TD's in the country and with Hogan more than likely hopping on the Brussel's gravy train I doubt he would risk a promotion to the DOE so What started with Varadkar's alleged unapproved statement has now become an exercise in protecting Shatter at the expense of Callinan, not one of those in the Govt. parties who voiced their opinions said Shatter should also apologise or change the Dail record.
    If it comes down to it I don't see why Callinan should go and not Shatter, both have shown how arrogant they truly are and they both handled the issue very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

fr3d12 wrote: »
    I don't believe Varadkar's comments were not pre-approved on some level, he's one of the smartest TD's in the country and with Hogan more than likely hopping on the Brussel's gravy train I doubt he would risk a promotion to the DOE so What started with Varadkar's alleged unapproved statement has now become an exercise in protecting Shatter at the expense of Callinan, not one of those in the Govt. parties who voiced their opinions said Shatter should also apologise or change the Dail record.
    If it comes down to it I don't see why Callinan should go and not Shatter, both have shown how arrogant they truly are and they both handled the issue very badly.

he's one of the smartest TD's in the country

On a scale of what, where do you start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

This whole week and the week coming is been stage managed by FG.

It's a show so they can slither their way out of the mess they got themselves in.

DISGUSTING politics.

he's one of the smartest TD's in the country

On a scale of what, where do you start.

There's only one sceal when it comes to TD's.

• Advertisement

There's only one sceal when it comes to TD's.

There are no marks on the scale down that low.

There are no marks on the scale down that low.

Yet somehow they continually sink to new depths!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

bubblypop wrote: »
    No no no, you must've missed the latest report from the data commissioner, he stated that once they had made their allegations there was no need for them to view private data.
    Not the data they accessed in relation to their complaint.

Hawkes is acting on the instructions of Callinan. He was appointed by the Minister
    for Justice. Transparency International have already asked him to clarify the remarks
    he made about the whistleblowers when he suggested that they had leaked
    sensitive information to the public. Hawkes is nothing more than Callinan's
    poodle!

Godge wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that report?

No excuse for breaking the law.

They did not break the law. They were within their rights to bring the information
    to members of the Oireachtas.

The comments, like any Irish politician's, are self-serving, but at least the guy has a bit of balls. Labour (chief smirker and smug eyes-closer Rabbitte and Gimmemore) have come out really badly from this. Afraid of their lives to rock the boat until Varadker said something.
    I'm actually disappointed in Burton. Thought she had more guts. But yeah, this will do Varadker's profile no harm, and even if self-serving I admire him more than the gutless rest. And I wouldn't be his biggest fan.

Edit: Just reading your post there again, and like you I initially cynically felt Varadker could just be another stooge in this pantomime (like get Leo to give a strongly worded denouncement to keep the public happy and that slap on the wrist might make everyone forget about the apology) but I've stopped myself being that cynical.
    I actually think apart from being a good move politically for Leo he's actually saying what he thinks.

Varadkar has been trying to communicate with Shatter for a long time but Shatter
    won't even answer phone calls. Leo had been totally frustrated by the shenanigans
    of the MoJ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Varadkar has been trying to communicate with Shatter for a long time but Shatter
    won't even answer phone calls. Leo had been totally frustrated by the shenanigans
    of the MoJ.

At this stage you'd have to wonder who is really running FG.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    At this stage you'd have to wonder who is really running FG.

The headless chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Shady Tady

Just wondering if the whistleblowers released info on posters here in the course of their accessing data on pulse would they be ok with it?

Shady Tady wrote: »
    Just wondering if the whistleblowers released info on posters here in the course of their accessing data on pulse would they be ok with it?

So what, if you post something be proud of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Hawkes is acting on the instructions of Callinan. He was appointed by the Minister
    for Justice. Transparency International have already asked him to clarify the remarks
    he made about the whistleblowers when he suggested that they had leaked
    sensitive information to the public. Hawkes is nothing more than Callinan's
    poodle!

You're barking up the wrong tree there. The Data Protection Commissioner is appointed by the government but reports to the Oireachtas.

He's independent in the performance of his functions and cannot be directed how to do his job by the Minister for Justice, the Garda Commissioner, or anyone else.

So what, if you post something be proud of it.

Tell that to Mr Nulty!

Tell that to Mr Nulty!

I was never in the Labour Party, cheap shot.

I wonder is the model who's info was accessed over 80 times for no reason is ok with it?
    That is a very serious violation of this woman's privacy.
    The Gardai involved using the pulse system as their own personal wikipedia and the guys who brought it to the attention of the public are still the baddies in all of this!

Tell that to Mr Nulty!

The Gardaí have supplied him with the customary blanket for putting over his head when he leaves the house, apparently it' a civil right for people in that position.

I wonder is the model who's info was accessed over 80 times for no reason is ok with it?
    That is a very serious violation of this woman's privacy.
    The Gardai involved using the pulse system as their own personal wikipedia and the guys who brought it to the attention of the public are still the baddies in all of this!

what??
    the whistleblowers brought the fact that there was a huge amount of tickets being cancelled by officers that they believed did not derserve to be cancelled.

they havent said anything about gardai accessing information on pulse, (seeing as how they relied on it themselves!)

what exactly do you think these guys did???:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,083 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Sindo are saying that Kenny and Shatter are concocting a plan for Callinan to at least retract the disgusting remark.

Reckon he might take his lead from Basil Fawlty?:

Alan - Well, I only want some batteries.
    Basil - I don't believe it.
    Alan - What?
    Basil - Batteries, huh? You know something? You disgust me. I know what people like you get up to, and
    I think it's disgusting!
    Alan - Wh-what are you talking about? I want batteries for my electric razor.
    I want to shave!
    Basil - Oh yes?
    Alan - Yes! I haven't shaved today. Look, see?
    Basil - Electric razor, huh?
    Alan - Right!
    Basil Well, that's what I was referring to when I said it was disgusting. It is, of course, disgusting that you haven't shaved, but, understandable. I mean, sometimes I don't shave either, and that's disgusting too. So I shall have a razor sent up to your room straightaway. Thank you so much, good night.

Callinan shouldn't apologise, he's already explained the statement twice, why have TD's and the media glossed over what the data commissioner has stated, if hawkes backed the whistleblowers they would be all over his statement and battering the commissioner with it. The commissioner is likely to have more information available to him on what was accessed or released. I believe there are also pending legal actions by the whistleblowers, the media are looking for heads to roll in order to sell newspapers and they aren't too worried if they are the right heads to roll as usual!

bubblypop wrote: »
    what??
    the whistleblowers brought the fact that there was a huge amount of tickets being cancelled by officers that they believed did not derserve to be cancelled.

they havent said anything about gardai accessing information on pulse, (seeing as how they relied on it themselves!)

what exactly do you think these guys did???:rolleyes:

Their actions directly or indirectly led to this information becoming public.
    We have a Police Force in this state that is short on resources but that didn't bother a lot of Gardai who spent valuable time looking up celebrities etc while on the public dime, why shouldn't they have to go and buy Playboy like every other young fella in the country:D

Callinan shouldn't apologise, he's already explained the statement twice, why have TD's and the media glossed over what the data commissioner has stated, if hawkes backed the whistleblowers they would be all over his statement and battering the commissioner with it. The commissioner is likely to have more information available to him on what was accessed or released. I believe there are also pending legal actions by the whistleblowers, the media are looking for heads to roll in order to sell newspapers and they aren't too worried if they are the right heads to roll as usual!

So who are the right heads that in your opinion should roll?

So who are the right heads that in your opinion should roll?

Why does a head have to roll, sort the problem out put in place a proper system and move on. The whole country knew it was a loose system and didn't care cause there was always a chance they too could use it to their advantage. Look at Ming for example shouting from the tree tops about it and he had points cancelled himself. Spare me the bull**** and shock horror, where was varadkar for the last 3 years in government, he's as sincere as his reaction to the large media presence before his announcment, as if they weren't all there knowing he was about to drop a large one!

Why does a head have to roll, sort the problem out put in place a proper system and move on. The whole country knew it was a loose system and didn't care cause there was always a chance they too could use it to their advantage. Look at Ming for example shouting from the tree tops about it and he had points cancelled himself. Spare me the bull**** and shock horror, where was varadkar for the last 3 years in government, he's as sincere as his reaction to the large media presence before his announment, as if they weren't all there knowing he was about to drop a large one!

I didn't know there was a loose system in place neither did the majority of people so saying that the country would be happy with a corrupt system is complete BS.
    Ming couldn't have gotten points cancelled as you claim if there wasn't someone in the force willing to do it for him, he didn't cancel them on his own personal PULSE machine so ultimately it's the Gardai who are responsible for this and not the people who had the neck to ask for cancellations.
    A lot has happened on Callinans watch and he didn't do his job,either he is incompetent or he didn't care about what he perceived to be such trivial matters, both of which are good enough reasons for him to go.
    I do agree with you about Varadkar, his announcement was made mainly for the benefit of himself, he is after all a TD and an Irish one at that.
    So has morale suffered in your Garda station ?

I didn't know there was a loose system in place neither did the majority of people so saying that the country would be happy with a corrupt system is complete BS.
    Ming couldn't have gotten points cancelled as you claim if there wasn't someone in the force willing to do it for him, he didn't cancel them on his own personal PULSE machine so ultimately it's the Gardai who are responsible for this and not the people who had the neck to ask for cancellations.
    A lot has happened on Callinans watch and he didn't do his job,either he is incompetent or he didn't care about what he perceived to be such trivial matters, both of which are good enough reasons for him to go.
    I do agree with you about Varadkar, his announcement was made mainly for the benefit of himself, he is after all a TD and an Irish one at that.
    So has morale suffered in your Garda station ?

I don't believe that there were many people driving around this country since the penalty points came in that did not know of the appeal process. Methinks you are a little like Ming and do protest too much! I'll call into my local garda station today and ask them about their morale I'm sure they could do with a laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Callinan shouldn't apologise, he's already explained the statement twice . . .

It would be considerably more accurate to say that he has twice denied saying on the Oireachtas record what everyone in the country knows he actually did say. His arrogance is right up there with Alan Shatter's and that's saying something!

gizmo555 wrote: »
    You're barking up the wrong tree there. The Data Protection Commissioner is appointed by the government but reports to the Oireachtas.

He's independent in the performance of his functions and cannot be directed how to do his job by the Minister for Justice, the Garda Commissioner, or anyone else.

Well, it certainly does not sound like that!!

Transparency International are calling Hawkes to task for remarks he has made about the whistleblowers, remarks
    which are disturbingly similar to those made by Callinan.

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    It would be considerably more accurate to say that he has twice denied saying on the Oireachtas record what everyone in the country knows he actually did say. His arrogance is right up there with Alan Shatter's and that's saying something!

That's you opinion, mine is different, I have a problem with random members of the gardai releasing info from pulse to outside agencies in the name of whistleblowing, where will it end and when would data protection ever apply to garda information if every garda feels they have a right to release info, it's a fine line!

Advertisement