Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minister Shatter and Commissioner Callinan should both resign in disgrace

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

golfball37 wrote: »
    And therein your last line lies the problem imo. We need to break the Political link between our Police force and government. Have an Independent police board with no political appointments. We should appoint a commissioner from outside the force as a first step to this reform.

Even more corruption then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Simon O’Brien, chairman of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission, strongly criticised the Garda Síochána for its level of cooperation — criticisms strongly rejected by Commissioner Martin Callinan.

Mr O’Brien, a former senior officer in the London Met, where he served for 32 years, said the protocol agreed between GSOC and the gardaí for the exchange of information was “not working”.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-withheld-information-in-clare-daly-inquiry-232179.html#at_pco=smlwn-1.0&at_tot=1&at_ab=per-14&at_pos=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Enda Kenny is coming across as very weak here. Disappointing as for once you would hope that he would seize an opportunity like this.

I've gained respect for Varadkar over this though. Seems to be reasonable in comparison to his ministerial colleagues.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Red Crow wrote: »
    Enda Kenny is coming across as very weak here. Disappointing as for once you would hope that he would seize an opportunity like this.

Enda Kenny has always been very weak. He is not a leader, he is a mouthpiece for advisor's and that's about it. Take away the advisor's and the hacks and you are left with little substance.

I have respect for both Coveney and Varadkar for coming out and saying what is common sense - that labelling whistle-blowers as 'disgraceful' is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Enda Kenny has always been very weak. He is not a leader, he is a mouthpiece for advisor's and that's about it. Take away the advisor's and the hacks and you are left with little substance.

I have respect for both Coveney and Varadkar for coming out and saying what is common sense - that labelling whistle-blowers as 'disgraceful' is wrong.

Unless there's a leadership challenge in the pipeline.
    If so then they're just putting themselves forward.
    I wouldn't pay much heed to what politicians say as they are all liars in my view. History backs my opinions too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

I can't help but feel that Varadkar's little intervention on the whistleblower controversy was extremely self-serving and the timing of it was a little strange. Remember he was not just speaking off the cuff or responding to a questoin, he was reading from a pre-prepared script.

Maybe I am being cynical but I find it hard to believe that somebody in government did not pre approve his comments on the issue.

The data protection commissioner has stated that the whistleblowers accessed private information from the garda pulse system when there was no reason for them to do so.

This appears to be the action that the garda commissioner described as 'disguting'

Does this excuse what he said, in the publics opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

bubblypop wrote: »
    The data protection commissioner has stated that the whistleblowers accessed private information from the garda pulse system when there was no reason for them to do so.

This appears to be the action that the garda commissioner described as 'disguting'

The data commissioner must have got a call from Enda to get out there and discredit the whistleblowers.

The problem here is that the data was accessed to prove corruption in the penalty points system, now if the Garda had of handled the information the correct way and didn't try bury it then the whistle blowers would not have had to give the information to independent members of the Dail. It's is the Garda commissioners fault for the mess that has been made of this because of his jack of leadership in dealing with issues in the correct manner in the first place. This data commissioner stuff is just the Kenny, shatter and callinan trying save some face and another attempt to discredit the whistle blowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

rodento wrote: »

Is Kenny loosing control?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

The two whistleblowers have been completely and utterly vindicated.

You obviously must have missed the memo.

Give it up.

The two whistleblowers have been completely and utterly vindicated.

You obviously must have missed the memo.

Give it up.

No no no, you must've missed the latest report from the data commissioner, he stated that once they had made their allegations there was no need for them to view private data.
    Not the data they accessed in relation to their complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No no no, you must've missed the latest report from the data commissioner, he stated that once they had made their allegations there was no need for them to view private data.

But if they were handled properly and the initial allegations properly investigated, there would have been no need for these Gardai access anything else. As it was, I feel they were backed into a situation where they were left with little option but to do whatever they had to clear their names.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Is Kenny loosing control?

The clown never had control, you remember auld fuzzy head, he had no control either. The heave has started, big changes will happen before the local and EU elections takes place. The fox is contaminated.

mickdw wrote: »
    But if they were handled properly and the initial allegations properly investigated, there would have been no need for these Gardai access anything else. As it was, I feel they were backed into a situation where they were left with little option but to do whatever they had to clear their names.

The data commissioner is there to make sure that gardai ( or anyone else) don't access details of private individuals for no good reason.
    He has investigated & that is what he said.
    He is in no way saying they were wrong in what they did, but after they had ' whistleblowed' that whatever they accessed AFTER that, was a breach of data protection.

I suppose most people won't care now anyway, was just wondering if the public would understand that's what the commissioner seems to suggest he was referring to with his 'disgusting' comment.

He should be gone long ago anyway but on the particular issue, he may have believed he was in the right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

No. No one missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Do you have a link to that report?
    mickdw wrote: »

No excuse for breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Simon O’Brien, chairman of the Garda Síochána Ombudsman Commission, strongly criticised the Garda Síochána for its level of cooperation — criticisms strongly rejected by Commissioner Martin Callinan.

Mr O’Brien, a former senior officer in the London Met, where he served for 32 years, said the protocol agreed between GSOC and the gardaí for the exchange of information was “not working”.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-withheld-information-in-clare-daly-inquiry-232179.html#at_pco=smlwn-1.0&at_tot=1&at_ab=per-14&at_pos=0

What has a May 2013 Report got to do with anything?

Especially when said Mr. O'Brien said something completely different to the Dail Committee?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Godge wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that report?

No excuse for breaking the law.

There are many excuses for breaking the law. Many are valid and are accepted as good defence legally.
    In these cases, where their jobs and good names were on the line and when they were fighting their own organisation, an organisation they knew to be corrupt and an organisation that enforces the law, working to the letter of the law doesnt cut it. Doing what was required for the common good would seem more appropriate.

Shatter accused McCabe of not cooperating with a garda investagation, here is an article from the examiner outlining the garda's no-cooperation with gsoc in its investigations and the commissioner denying that the garda are doing anything wrong

Something you may find quite frankly disgusting

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gimmemore is just coming out to increase the Labour vote in the upcoming elections. If they do poorly then he loses the leadership.

He couldn't care less about whistleblowers or penalty points.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Enda Kenny is coming across as exactly what he has always been - a figurehead without any charisma or leadership ability. Someone who can be led rather than lead, whether it's Merkel pulling the strings, or Cameron, or the favours that must be owed to Shatter and others since Bruton's failed attempt to oust him.

He might be trying to silence his ministers, but he's also trying to silence public debate on the issue. Can't have the "peasants" getting ideas after all. These things are for discussion behind closed doors - it's the Irish way!

Isn't it great living in Ireland's "democracy".....

On the button.
    The guy is a spineless embarrassment, a tool for others like Reilly and Shatter to use and hide behind (it's like the heave against him has defined who and who can abuse his loyalty). A lucky, largely clueless general.

The only possible thing that he has in his favour is he doesn't have Cowen's grumpy demeanour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

I can't help but feel that Varadkar's little intervention on the whistleblower controversy was extremely self-serving and the timing of it was a little strange. Remember he was not just speaking off the cuff or responding to a questoin, he was reading from a pre-prepared script.

Maybe I am being cynical but I find it hard to believe that somebody in government did not pre approve his comments on the issue.

The comments, like any Irish politician's, are self-serving, but at least the guy has a bit of balls. Labour (chief smirker and smug eyes-closer Rabbitte and Gimmemore) have come out really badly from this. Afraid of their lives to rock the boat until Varadker said something.
    I'm actually disappointed in Burton. Thought she had more guts. But yeah, this will do Varadker's profile no harm, and even if self-serving I admire him more than the gutless rest. And I wouldn't be his biggest fan.

Edit: Just reading your post there again, and like you I initially cynically felt Varadker could just be another stooge in this pantomime (like get Leo to give a strongly worded denouncement to keep the public happy and that slap on the wrist might make everyone forget about the apology) but I've stopped myself being that cynical.
    I actually think apart from being a good move politically for Leo he's actually saying what he thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That's interesting. The longer this whole debacle goes on the weaker Enda Kenny looks. He is still in firefighting mode and it's been nearly a month now. There are two separate inquiries underway and also two High Court cases due surrounding the controversy. All that will come from this is bad news over the coming weeks. Enda needs to realise that his backing to the Garda Commissioner and Shatter is flying in the face of public opinion for weeks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

Have Shatter, Callinan and at this stafe Kenny resigned yet? No!!!!!!!!!!!

What a surprise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Have Shatter, Callinan and at this stafe Kenny resigned yet? No!!!!!!!!!!!

What a surprise :rolleyes:

The Sindo are saying that Kenny and Shatter are concocting a plan for Callinan to at least retract the disgusting remark, if he refuses for the fourth time to do so then he could well be toast. He's too much of a politician for that and he's such an arrogant individual that I'm predicting he will come out with a non-apology tomorrow or Tuesday, it'll begin with 'If my remarks caused offence....blah de blah'. In any case anything that comes out of the Commissioners mouth at this stage is insincere and holds no value.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

I seem to remember Callinan talking about "my force"...I thought we empolyed them and him too?
    He will not apologize because he's typical of those twits in power who lack the basic decency and common sense to admit they fcuked up, to apologize and move on.
    Kenny is reverting to type.
    Labour ought to risk all by demanding the firing of both Shatter and Callinan.
    Leadership ambitions aside, Varadkar read the public mood correctly when he made his remarks-he got a great round of applause from his audience.
    Kenny, Hogan and Shatter could teach FF a thing or two about dirty tricks and politics.
    Plus ca change, etc.

Advertisement