Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Session 2 - 20 minute warmup, 6 x 5 minutes hard w/5 minute jog recovery
    OH away partying this weekend so my only chance to do this was at the track this morning, where I was dragging the kid to do his training. Jogged a few laps then jumped in with the teenagers for their stretches, but made my excuses when it started to get technical :pac: and got into it. The plan was 3.5 laps for each interval (in lane 2 so add a bit ;)) and 2 laps jogging for the recovery.
    First interval was hard. I hadn't done any fast work in the warmup so it really hurt, so much so that I lost count of the laps and did 4.5 instead :o I counted off each half-lap after that! First few intervals felt sloppy, my legs were all over the place, but I think I worked my way into a decent stride eventually - then again, I was going slower each one, that probably has more to do with it!
    6.47 for the first, long interval, then 5.22, 5.30, 5.38, 5.42, 5.42. A couple more laps for a cooldown, then in for a quick change of clothes before the other drowned rat and I went for a fry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

RayCun wrote: »
    Session 2 - 20 minute warmup, 6 x 5 minutes hard w/5 minute jog recovery
    OH away partying this weekend so my only chance to do this was at the track this morning, where I was dragging the kid to do his training. Jogged a few laps then jumped in with the teenagers for their stretches, but made my excuses when it started to get technical :pac: and got into it. The plan was 3.5 laps for each interval (in lane 2 so add a bit ;)) and 2 laps jogging for the recovery.
    First interval was hard. I hadn't done any fast work in the warmup so it really hurt, so much so that I lost count of the laps and did 4.5 instead :o I counted off each half-lap after that! First few intervals felt sloppy, my legs were all over the place, but I think I worked my way into a decent stride eventually - then again, I was going slower each one, that probably has more to do with it!
    6.47 for the first, long interval, then 5.22, 5.30, 5.38, 5.42, 5.42. A couple more laps for a cooldown, then in for a quick change of clothes before the other drowned rat and I went for a fry...

I hate it when I mess up the reps/laps, especially when I end up going too far or doing too much. The kerfuffle isn't good for brain.:mad:

91.21k @ 4.59 average pace

Finished the week with a very uncomfortable easy run around the local park. Part of it down to the runners I got a few weeks ago (Saucony Guides) which don't seem to suit me, but mainly my legs were still knackered. Earlier in the day I'd rejigged my training plan to add the extra week between Kildare and Limerick. I was going to basically repeat last week, but on second thoughts that's a bad idea. My knees were getting stiff and achy again, so rather than push through I'm going to repeat the 70k week scheduled for this week. Get a massage Saturday and let my legs recover a bit before they get another battering in Raheny :)
    So, this evening I skipped the loop of UCD and just ran home, only diverting for a set of strides through the park. Bit of an up and down run, stiff at the start, then fine for a while, then heavy, then fine again :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

RayCun wrote: »
    91.21k @ 4.59 average pace

Finished the week with a very uncomfortable easy run around the local park. Part of it down to the runners I got a few weeks ago (Saucony Guides) which don't seem to suit me, but mainly my legs were still knackered. Earlier in the day I'd rejigged my training plan to add the extra week between Kildare and Limerick. I was going to basically repeat last week, but on second thoughts that's a bad idea. My knees were getting stiff and achy again, so rather than push through I'm going to repeat the 70k week scheduled for this week. Get a massage Saturday and let my legs recover a bit before they get another battering in Raheny :)
    So, this evening I skipped the loop of UCD and just ran home, only diverting for a set of strides through the park. Bit of an up and down run, stiff at the start, then fine for a while, then heavy, then fine again :rolleyes:

:eek: Was that a 91.21 k run home from work @ 4.59 pace? You is one tough mudder!:D

I knew I should have got my shots before training in Tallaght. (And if that wasn't bad enough, I even used the dressing rooms :eek: There are mould colonies in there so advanced they are working on a rocket programme to get the hell out of Tallaght)
    So - no running since Tuesday. Wednesday I changed into running gear before going out to Little Athletics, came home... and took off the gear. Thursday brought my running gear into work... but cycled home. Raheny on Sunday is no better than 50/50. I'd hate to miss it, but there's no point unless I feel better :(

• Advertisement

28k this week, 4.56 average

Friday, came home sick from work and went to bed
    Saturday, no running. Just read on Krusty's log that he was sick one day and ran 15 miles the next - the fecker is just trying to make everyone else look bad!
    Could not make up my mind about Raheny at all. I was still feeling pretty tired and completely unmotivated. No excitement about racing, no desire to run at all. And what would be the point if I'm out of sorts?
    But I do like the Raheny race, and there were a load from the club running, and I had already paid...
    So. Talked myself into getting my race gear ready the night before. Talked myself into packing it in a bag this morning. Might as well throw it in the car when we go out to Delgany. Might as well get a DART over since its so handy. And with each step, got a little more convinced that I'd run - though I might still have packed it in if the rain hadn't stopped and the sun come out for a little while.
    Still didn't have much of a pre-race buzz, so I just did a few minutes jogging before jumping in to the crowd. Ended up a bit further back than last year, and I think the numbers were up? so the congestion was pretty bad all the way out to the main road. I was running a little gingerly, didn't have a lot of confidence in my ability to breathe hard, but things seemed to be going okay. I didn't hear the mile split, but there were a couple of guys from the club around me, one of whom I expected to be well in front. Second mile... again, I was half-expecting to pull over and cough up a lung in mile 3, but I knew it wasn't going to happen in mile 2. I was feeling okay and had pushed ahead of the guys from the club. Mile 3 somewhere I realised I was going to finish the race and I was right behind Annette Kealy so it would be in a decent time too. Surged past her along the seafront, and that was a decent mile too. (Did anyone else see that backwards runner around here?) Mile 5... well, it couldn't last forever :):o People started passing me on the hill up. I thought that was ok, I'd catch them again on the flat, but no, I was out of juice. Another dozen or more runners passed me in the final mile, I just couldn't speed up to go with them. Managed a half-decent sprint in the last straight to sneak under the 30, but that last mile I was slowing while everyone else was speeding up, lost a lot of time and places there.
    Splits afterwards were 3.30, 3.44, 3.43, 3.34, 3.41, 3.32, 3.56, 3.49 (and 20 seconds for the last 133m) Completely fecked afterwards, no chance of a cooldown jog I was limping around just walking, and my lungs are not impressed. 29.59 gun time, 29.50 chip
    A couple of weeks ago I'd have thought I could go a fair bit faster, a couple of days ago I didn't think I'd be racing at all, so now I don't know what to think :confused: Too many "yeah buts" about races recently, I'd rather be going into Bohermeen with a definite "this is where I stand" time. I suppose the good news is this is still on-track for the Limerick target...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well done there Ray , thats a cracking time.

And the moral of the story is beware the injured/ill runner:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Great run on a tough day ray. Will stand to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done Ray. Good to see you today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

good man Ray - love your reports - humble and unassuming, despite your obvious talent.
    Well done for getting out there and giving it a right go.

btw - did AK pass you before the finish :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Good man Ray- some running for only being half bothered!

it's funny, last week I had no particular symptoms but felt like **** and had absolutely no desire to run.
    Today I'm full of phlegm, calves are like wood, back and hips are stiff, but ran home happily (and very slowly!) last night, and ran in again this morning through the rain, feeling great.
    No strides, and no session tomorrow though - I'm not feeling that good! :pac:

Still sick :( racing was not the best road to recovery :rolleyes: Not too bad but plenty of phlegm morning and evening, and a general tightness around the chest, so I've taken things very easy this week.
    Got up early on Wednesday for a short pre-work run and bumped into claralara as she set off for a MLR into work (They moved in right outside the exclusion zone, which I'm hoping a judge will agree is making a mockery of the law :) ) The intention was to go for another easy run that evening but in the end I decided it was better getting some rest (and letting OH go to a yoga class for once) Thursday and Friday were just slow easy runs home and back to work. Easy again tomorrow, but I hope/expect to be okay for a session Sunday morning and back to the plan next week...

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3

78.6k for the week, 5.17 average page

An easy hour yesterday to start the month, and session today - 6xmile at 6.15, 2 min recovery. When I read the session last night I started calculating what 6.15 was in /km, it only occurred to me on my warmup to just set my watch to /miles :rolleyes: The sound on my watch has long gone and it wasn't a marked distance so I was a little over the mile on each rep. Pace was 6.12, 6.13, 6.07, 6.11, 6.09, 6.25 :rolleyes:
    I am terrible at judging the pace on this kind of rep, I tend to go off way too fast, so I was making an effort to stay in a slower midfoot style of run rather than leaning forward. Pace was still all over the place :rolleyes: the reps with the wind usually starting at 5.40 to 5.50. Made more of an effort in the last two reps to stay at a consistent 6-6.10, but all I did was go too slow in the last one, losing too much time on the sections into the wind.
    Decent session overall though.

97.76 for the week, 4.58 average

Wednesday session was 4 x 3k tempo, but with the weather and the quitters' charter ;) on my mind I decided to run these kind of by feel - which I knew would mean off-pace. Sure enough, the first three came in at 4.12, 4.01, 4.07. Aerobically I was feeling fine but my knees were really starting to play up and 100m into my last rep, running like a 42-year old :rolleyes:, I pulled the plug and jogged the rest out.
    Other session was today, 2.5 hour run. Went up to Phoenix Park for this, I haven't done a long run there in ages and I wanted something a bit hillier than Tymon. No breakfast, money, water, gels or phone for this, and Garmin set to show time. Got into the park at the Islandbridge gate, and went s-bends, upper glen, furry glen, chesterfield, wellington, 2 laps with a bit of a detour around the zoo on the second lap to add a few minutes. It went okay - knees stiff in the early going but loosened up, right shoulder was getting sore, and I thought my stomach going to leap out of my abdomen and devour a passing dog :pac: - but generally fine. Did a quick check on the way out of the park to see if I was near any limits but no, I felt fine. Overall pace was 4.58, but that included some very slow ks at the start - 5.25, 5.29, 5.16, 5.17 - general pace was grand and there was no slowdown towards the end.

Bailed on Wednesday's session because of the weather :mad: Didn't even go out for an easy run because after the cycle home I was a bit paranoid about falling branches :rolleyes:
    Session 2 today - 2 easy miles warmup, 4 x (5/6 minutes tempo w/minute recovery), hour easy, 15-20 minute tempo, 2 miles easy cooldown
    Out early for this one, into the wind and rain of Tymon. Picked a route for the first intervals that I reckoned would be right, but was a little short, just under 5 minutes on the first two, so a little over 5 on the second two when I extended the route a little. (Pace was 3.53, 3.49, 3.51, 3.49) The hour easy was very relaxed, but getting a bit cold, so I was almost glad to start the second bit of the session. This was, predictably, hard. At one point around halfway around I thought, hmm, okay, it's not getting any harder, seems to have plateaued. Then I thought, yeah, but this is more like 10k effort than HMP. Then I looked at my watch and it was more like PMP:rolleyes: Turned a corner and picked it up, but still finished at 4.01 pace for the 17 minutes.
    Bohermeen is only two weeks away...

(Good points from the day- dropped in to Amphibian King and got a pair of Sayonaras, then brought the kids out to Santry. Kid A finished 4th in his 600m heat to qualify for the final next week, and Kid E had her first race, coming 5th in the 500m, starting at the back and flying through the field :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good running ray. I still have very clear memories of those daniels sessions. What used to be known as character-building. I never used to hit the numbers in the second tempo stint, and used to spend the easy section dreading the tempo miles like a kid dreads their dad coming home after theyve smashed another window :)

Interestingly, I also found these sessions very useful for improving 10m and HM times. Bohermeen should be interesting.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do you thnk you could run 3:42 over 50K? ;)

91.68k for the week, 5.07 average

I do like the Daniels plan, the sessions are all tough but hard-days-hard etc etc - there's no mistaking which ones are the hard days :) But the other thread about racing in training made me look ahead, I think there's a misprint in my copy. That should be 1-5 miles at MP, right? Right??? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great run today by your Michelle McGee at our Rás na hEireann, she tore the field apart. Very impressive to watch.

• Advertisement

another week, another failed session :rolleyes:
    warm-up, 15-20 minutes tempo, 3 min recovery, 15-20 tempo, 3 min rec, 10-12 tempo, cooldown
    Went to Bushy park on the way home from work for this one, about 5k, and ran laps of the 'upper level'. First rep was grand, started off fast but stayed comfortable for the 3.5 laps, 17.32 @ 3.52. Second rep started slower but brought the pace gradually down to target... except I must have slowed a lot in the last few hundred metres :confused:, 16.11 @ 3.55 Final rep was slower all the way around, finished at 10.47 @ 4.00 :(
    More and more realism being added to my Bohermeen plans as the weeks go on... (which, okay, is to be expected. I picked a target pace out of the air in October, and part of the process is to adjust that the closer the race gets - arguably the whole reason for this race/training cycle is to get some realistic paces for the next cycle. Still not fun though)

Also having some shoe trouble - the Sayonaras are quite aggressive, I don't think my calves will take a long session/race in them yet, but the Elixirs they are replacing really are on the way out. I have blisters after today's run, and I never get blisters...

Ah, pre-race worries, don't you love 'em? :rolleyes:

the secret to a successful training session! Yes, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, you don't need AIS, you don't need turtle soup, you don't need five year's of maxing out aerobic capacity with easy 100 mile weeks, just follow RayCun's easy plan for hitting your training targets!
    Aim lower!

Session 2 this week, 100 minutes at marathon pace :eek:
    I hate marathon pace sessions. I hate any session where you are supposed to be running at race pace, because race pace always feels harder in training but if you can't sustain it in training for a shorter time, what chance in a race? Marathon pace is the worst because in a short race you can just run, but marathons you have to run off the watch...
    I only noticed this session on the plan about a week ago (I don't read ahead much). Marathon pace (decided back on October) was supposed to be 4.05, but over the last couple of weeks it's become clear that was not a realistic target (half marathon pace has also been downgraded from 3.50 to 3.52/53 to 3.55... and I just checked, that was my pace last year, so...) so I dropped it down to 4.10.
    So, Tymon Park again. 2.5k warmup to the gate and off. Running laps around the east side of the park, six laps to do. Halfway through the first lap I felt like shooting myself - pace was down around 4.25/4.30 and I was working for it. But then I reached the footbridge by the phone mast and suddenly I wasn't going uphill, and a few seconds later I turned to get the wind behind me :). So the rest of that lap was 4.00 pace or faster, and for much lower effort. Laps two and three were the same, slow when working against the wind and drag but recovering as soon as I turned and making back up the time. Four and five much the same, but pace didn't drop as much on the harder section or increase as much on the easier, and lap six was just hard work all round, only getting back to PMP at the very end - but getting there. Shoulder and back very stiff at the end, but I'm very happy to have finished that session on target - and there is no way I would have managed 4.05 pace.

That's it Ray. Exactly how I felt.

Race day is so much different to training day, it must be the singlet.........has to be. Or the socks.

One or the other. But race day is different.

89.53 for the week, 4.48 average
    Over target, but that was inevitable given the two sessions - about 20k on Wednesday and close to 30 yesterday.
    Busy day yesterday at the 'indoor' relays but at least there was no snow. Off to Santry soon for the last day of the Dublins, shot putt, long jump, and a 600m final for the kid...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Hey Ray! What program are working from for your marathon?

Is there much difference in the latest edition from the last one?

How you finding the sessions (I mean in the general sense as opposed to the detail in your log)?

Is there much difference in the latest edition from the last one?

How you finding the sessions (I mean in the general sense as opposed to the detail in your log)?

I don't know, I just linked to the version on Amazon :) I haven't compared the editions, or the matching plans from the two editions.

In general... having two sessions a week suits me these days, because I can't make the Tuesday and Thursday club sessions (coaching during one, the other doesn't fit in with my runmutes). I can't really remember how it compares to P&D its been so long, maybe not all that different? I think P&D has a session, a MLR, and a LR each week, and I usually run a bit longer on Monday, session Wednesday, and long run with extra bits on the weekend. I think the sessions are harder than P&D - then again, I'm not sure how many P&D sessions I did last time around, I think I usually did the club session instead. The structure of the week definitely encourages you to take it easy on the easy days, maybe too much so in my case, I never need much encouragement to run easy :) There is a good sense of progression through the plan, from the shorter intervals back in January to the tempo stuff I'm coming out of now to lots and lots of PMP running on the way. I think I'll use it again for DCM, though I should get my copy of P&D back from the guy I lent it to and refresh my memory before deciding.

• Advertisement

Not much point in talking about the two sessions a week if I keep baling on the Wednesdays :rolleyes: Don't think these are working, I'm too tired going in to them, might have to switch to Thursday evenings on the way home...

Advertisement