Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hahahahahahahaha :D

Its funny cos its not me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

hahahahahahahaha :D

Its funny cos its not me

Where do you think CL is? ;):D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

RayCun wrote: »
    You were with triathletes, I thought you might be embarrassed to have it made public

You'd have fit right in with them better than me...they talk in kilometers. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013|2014
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13|202.59
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8|217.1
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93|249.45
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3

Hips better today, but it was only 10k home.

I'm thinking of dropping the midweek session for this month (I thought you already had, says you), replacing it with an easy MLR. All these accumulated aches and pains (shoulders, centre of back, lower back, hips, knees, top of foot, sole of foot) and the pace in recent runs is making me think I have or I'm in danger of overcooking it. Better to do the two or three remaining sessions well and get confidence from them.
    For the autumn, I'm thinking of extending the base building period another 6 weeks (though it might include some races for fun, maybe even some group training sessions), increasing the mileage more, and doing just 12 weeks of Daniels.

You could've waved. Jeez.

• Advertisement

green car?

green car?

Yep...I was going to mount the footpath and drive at you but I thought that would be a bit extreme.

Yep...I was going to mount the footpath and drive at you but I thought that would be a bit extreme.

in fairness, we both know that would end with you managing to drive the car into the river while I looked on unscathed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I'm thinking of dropping the midweek session for this month (I thought you already had, says you), replacing it with an easy MLR. All these accumulated aches and pains (shoulders, centre of back, lower back, hips, knees, top of foot, sole of foot) and the pace in recent runs is making me think I have or I'm in danger of overcooking it. Better to do the two or three remaining sessions well and get confidence from them.
    For the autumn, I'm thinking of extending the base building period another 6 weeks (though it might include some races for fun, maybe even some group training sessions), increasing the mileage more, and doing just 12 weeks of Daniels.

Ray - do you do any General Strength work? With your increasing volumes it is something to consider working on for future training cycles.

The only supplementary work I do is about 20 minutes of
    roll one calf
    bicycle crunches
    clams
    roll quads
    leg lifts
    one leg bridges
    roll other calf
    three or four times a week. Time is always an issue :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

roll one calf
    bicycle crunches
    clams
    roll quads
    leg lifts
    one leg bridges
    roll other calf

Better than nothing, but could be something to build on.
    Progression is important here as in other aspects of training.

If you get injured you will have plenty of time. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

roll one calf
    bicycle crunches
    clams
    roll quads
    leg lifts
    one leg bridges
    roll other calf

I'd say that's a lot more than most of us do.
    I wonder if the question should be are you getting the right value for your time investment - are there other excercises that you should be doing instead??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

84.17k at 5.01
    Long run today, up and around Phoenix Park (Military, s-bends, furry glen, back down upper glen road and s-bends, Kyber and around down Wellington, then back through the loop again and home)...

based on a photo I saw posted on here somewhere, I'm pretty sure we crossed paths Sunday morning. Just after the S-bends I was lapping anticlockwise, had my Blessington 10K top on and was chatting with a cyclist.

outforarun wrote: »
    based on a photo I saw posted on here somewhere, I'm pretty sure we crossed paths Sunday morning. Just after the S-bends I was lapping anticlockwise, had my Blessington 10K top on and was chatting with a cyclist.

oh yes, I remember you
    (no idea what you look like or what top you were wearing, but I remember a guy running beside a cyclist :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

I suspected the cyclist-runner combo would jog your memory. I'll give you a shout out if I see you again.

Hips better today, but it was only 10k home.

I think if I was usually reading something like that Id think 'another from the listen-to-your-body brigade' and hit unfollow :)

In the case of the Daniels plan - I think you are right. I did it twice, once I ran a time I was happy enough with at the time, and the other was a DNF for other reasons. However, for both I felt that I had peaked 6 weeks out (61:0X for 10m first time and 60:37 the second) and was getting slower in the final weeks due to fatigue (and session-dread). Looking back, the time I was happy with (2:57) I shouldnt really have been.

I think most of us dont have the base to do the plan properly. I found that setting 70 mpw as the peak meant that many weeks didnt have enough miles in them (49-56) to support the killer Q sessions.

KC did well on it - running 90-100 mpw though

I reckon a midweek MLR is a good idea.

Yep...I was going to mount you .

Jaybus, dotcomdolly will have the knives out for you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I think if I was usually reading something like that Id think 'another from the listen-to-your-body brigade' and hit unfollow :)

In the case of the Daniels plan - I think you are right. I did it twice, once I ran a time I was happy enough with at the time, and the other was a DNF for other reasons. However, for both I felt that I had peaked 6 weeks out (61:0X for 10m first time and 60:37 the second) and was getting slower in the final weeks due to fatigue (and session-dread). Looking back, the time I was happy with (2:57) I shouldnt really have been.

I think most of us dont have the base to do the plan properly. I found that setting 70 mpw as the peak meant that many weeks didnt have enough miles in them (49-56) to support the killer Q sessions.

KC did well on it - running 90-100 mpw though

I reckon a midweek MLR is a good idea.

+1000 I have always said it will make you bullet proof if you can survive it and honesty most don't have the years of aerobic base to get the benefit from it

I know myself I have done a handful of the sessions from it with the likes of KC and Tunguska and always thought to myself yeah its a great workout to do once every few weeks but my legs would not handle it week in, week out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ecoli wrote: »
    I know myself I have done a handful of the sessions from it with the likes of KC and Tunguska and always thought to myself yeah its a great workout to do once every few weeks but my legs would not handle it week in, week out
    Worth pointing out that those sessions we did together were part of the Elite plan (the early/easier workouts) and I've never pursued the elite plan, like Tunguska and cwgatlin. For me, plan A was always plenty hard enough and backed up with a good aerobic base will definitely yield positive results.

Have to agree though, that I think it's the kind of plan that works better on a training maximum of 100 miles per week (even if that's not necessarily the way it was designed), particularly for the faster runner, otherwise, you will leave yourself feeling rather battered and broken. It may seem counter-intuitive to increase the miles to reduce the chances of injury, but realistically in my case, it's those extra miles that ensured that I'd be capable of the longer workouts. It builds a certain resilience.

Definitely worth taking a look at the new Daniels plans (3rd edition), which seem to offer a range of training strategies to suit different types of goals. I reckon that it's definitely where my Frankfurt training plan will come from, as I think I've exhausted Plan A, and am just not hardy enough for the elite pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Meant to say, if anyone wants info on the new JD plans, drop me a PM. I've been meaning to put together an outline, to keep on Google Drive for reference.

• Advertisement

So, since last update...
    April 1st - 10k back into work, slower than the run home, hips still complaining
    2nd - set off for a midweek MLR in Tymon. Got to Tymon and I was still running like my legs were made of wood and my joints solid rust. No fluency in my run at all, just a speeded up hobble. turned around and went home, and was just as bad when I got back. So I hit the panic button! No running Thursday, Friday, or Saturday, and a trip to Ciaran Fitz on Friday evening where he spent half an hour basically leaning on my hips.
    Out again on Sunday 6th, just a slow and easy 10k

Felt a lot better by Monday so started running normally again. No sessions, but 15k on Monday, 20k on Sunday, just the regular creakiness and stiffness but running paces okay, and 80k that week.

Monday just gone I was running home again, not watching pace but running a little harder than usual. About 500m from home I got a stabbing pain in my upper quad, ran home through it but it was sore. On the next morning's run back in to work I was sore all the way around from the quad to my arse. off work Tuesday and Wednesday and no running.

Decision time - would I run Limerick or not? Hotel is booked, gels are bought, everything is ready, and I want to do this, as practice for Dublin if nothing else... but there's no point in starting if I'm going to seize up 10 miles in and walk off the course.
    So, test run this weekend. 2 x 8k @ PMP
    Not the toughest of sessions, but as hard as I want to go two weeks out. And if I can't hold PMP on that, or get hit by another sniper, there's no point in going to Limerick...

So off I went this morning
    Slow jog up to Tymon Park, back in the Sayonaras for the first time in a month?feeling grand - I'd spent half of yesterday with a heated bean bag on my knees, seemed to really help the creakiness
    First PMP run went fine, same laps as on earlier PMP runs so half on a drag into the wind and half downhill, losing time and getting it back. Don't think I fell into a rhythm but easy enough
    Short enough break, just a loop of the pond at one end of the park, then off again...
    A little harder this time, but also a more even pace. Ghost of a twinge in the left glute, some stiffness in the right groin, and starting to feel the effort, but no explosions. 4.09 pace overall for both sets
    Hips were a bit sore on the jog home, but I'll live with that. Officially on taper now - so about the same as the last few weeks - and another physio session on Friday, but I guess I'm in...

(new log title because the old one was a joke, and someone has to class this place up a bit ;) It will also be the basis of the Dublin training plan...)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

(new log title because the old one was a joke, and someone has to class this place up a bit ;) It will also be the basis of the Dublin training plan...)

Are you going to make me have to use Google Translate? :).

Quidquid latine dictum, altum videtur. Senito aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

Good luck with Limerick. You can always pull the plug if it twangs.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭PaulieYifter

An old primary school teacher of mine used to always say "take your time but hurry up" :)

Go do Limerick - it's ages since you've done a marathon so it would be worth it for the experience again. You just need to be sensible about pulling up if necessary.

I learned all my Latin from Asterix :)
    asterix4.JPG

Go do Limerick - it's ages since you've done a marathon so it would be worth it for the experience again.

Did he not end up in a wheelchair last time? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Nice one Ray - love the translation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I have to ask Ray, why are planning another marathon (Dublin?) when the training for this one has busted you up so badly? From reading your log over the last while you seem to have struggled a bit with the training and I get impression (correct me if I'm wrong) that you haven't totally enjoyed it?! Do you like the marathon distance that much?

Advertisement