Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

If the DCM is the target there is loads of time ray. I had 5 weeks completely off in 2012, back running in may and ran a 8 min pb in dublin. We just need to stay healthy and slowly crank it up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Howdy neighbour... Just wanted to say I really like your Christmas tree.... I also can't wait until it's down so I can get a proper look in the windows!! ;) Haha.

We'll have to hook up for a run-mute some time if that's still something you do?

Best of luck with the goals for 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I have the restraining order forms filled out ray, will bring them down to training :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

I have the restraining order forms filled out ray, will bring them down to training :)

Tallaght AC had to fill one in too after she screamed the C-word expletive at her partner in crime after he pipped her in the Christmas GOAL mile. Poor innocent tallaght juvenile athletes had never heard such bad language.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Obviously meno gave them a taste of their own medicine by moving onto their doorstep. Now poor Ray is a victim. Poor Ray. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I see you are getting really paranoid now and even threatening to make the Jogger's FB page private :rolleyes:

Booo!!!, what are we tallaght ac boys going to do for a laugh now in the evenings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

menoscemo wrote: »
    I see you are getting really paranoid now and even threatening to make the Jogger's FB page private :rolleyes:

Booo!!!, what are we tallaght ac boys going to do for a laugh now in the evenings?

Its so they can plan their drive by's to takeout the competition :D

menoscemo wrote: »

Please! I do not want to know what the Tallaght boys club gets up to in the evenings. I'm glad you're all happy together, but also that you don't live next door:P.
    (you notice that claralara and digger don't set up their binoculars outside your houses)

Took it very handy for the rest of the week, 6k at recovery pace on NYD, very easy runs in and out of work Thursday and Friday. Thursday evening one of the more gung-ho coaches :) organised a training session. Dropped the kid up for training, he didn't mind the wind and rain. I was half thinking of helping out, but there were enough coaches already and I decided I'd be warmer going out for an easy run myself :) Right calf is still tight and I wanted to give it as much recovery as possible.
    So, one session missed this week, I had to do the other one. Checked the weather forecast and it looked like today was the better bet, but it didn't seem that way when I woke up at 5.30 to hear the wind driving the rain against the windows :( Luckily, another couple of hours made all the difference, when I woke again at 7.30. Just the running bit left to do then...
    20 minute warm-up + 5 x 1 mile @ 3.53/km w/3 minutes recovery + one hour easy
    Took the warm-up very easy, just jogging up to Tymon. I can't set up intervals on the watch anymore - well, I can, but it doesn't beep so there's no point - but I had a stretch of the sli na slainte in mind that I reckoned was about a mile. Forgot to turn off autolap on the first run, but it came in around 3.51 pace. Then 3.51, 3.47, 3.51, 3.49 (for 1.66k). The only dodgy bit was running across a wooden bridge which seemed to get slippier every time I crossed it.
    I was very happy with that, honestly didn't expect to hit the pace on most of the intervals, so that carried me through the first 30 minutes or so of the easy run. I started to get very tired towards the end, though I met my brother and a few other sportsworld sales assistants (in my park! the cheek!) for a few minutes distraction. Inhaled a couple of bags of haribo when I got home, to get the energy to climb the stairs, and am only starting to feel human again now after a bowl of muesli, two eggs, three slices of ham, three oatcakes, a glass of juice and a cup of tea... (out of chocolate milk :(:()

• Advertisement

would you believe that I wrote a brilliant update yesterday, full of tears and laughter, poetry and philosophy, but the boards turtle ate it?
    of course not :pac:

88.32k @5.15/km last week
    Lesson learned - check the training plan before your first run of the week. Was only supposed to be a 70k week, maybe without that longer run I would have been able for the session on Wednesday. Or maybe not.

I was feeling full of energy this evening as I left work for the run, and set off at a faster pace around UCD. Felt a bit stiff around the ankle after a few minutes and thought about slowing down but ran it off instead, and decided as long as I didn't push too hard there was no problem running a bit faster today, I'd be recovered by Wednesday, no problem. Kept a decent effort up all the way home, and finally stopped my watch to see how fast I'd been going.
    pace :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

4.57 pace?? Per mile?? That's savage moving Ray! ;)

pconn062 wrote: »
    4.57 pace?? Per mile?? That's savage moving Ray! ;)

Not with Ray, I am waiting for the day he announces he has bought a bike, Reckon those Tri heads left him here as a spy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

ecoli wrote: »
    Not with Ray, I am waiting for the day he announces he has bought a bike, Reckon those Tri heads left him here as a spy :D

Normally I'm not a snitch but I saw him swimming in the Poddle river! ;)

ecoli wrote: »

I already have one, which I use for commuting as god intended :) The day you see me going out for a cycle and calling it a training session :rolleyes: or pedalling furiously in a shed to go nowhere :pac::pac:, shoot me and put me out of my misery;)
    digger2d2 wrote: »
    Normally I'm not a snitch but I saw him swimming in the Poddle river! ;)

Nah, that was just cross country practice in Tymon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Raycun swimming? har! the closest he gets to the water on hols is a leg dangle while reading his book at the edge of the pool!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

The day you see me going out for a cycle and calling it a training session :rolleyes: or pedalling furiously in a shed to go nowhere :pac::pac:, shoot me and put me out of my misery;)

Give it time, you have yet to experience the mid life crisis!

Give it time, you have yet to experience the mid life crisis!

:pac: long past that stage :)

Tuesday - run into work, strides at the end
    Wednesday - 'character-building run'. Home from work, eat dinner, running gear and tracksuit on, out for an hour of Little Athletics, tracksuit off and around to the local park for 25 laps in the rain :eek: Getting very bored of this park, but it's an even tarmac path, reasonably well-lit by the streetlights outside, and is almost exactly a km/lap, which is handy. Round and around and around, counting laps, each lap is 4% of the total, so counting percentages... after 15 laps I switched to counting down, but for some reason that was much harder :pac: so back to counting up... about 27k in 2 hours 10, pace did slip a bit in the last few k though.
    Thursday - run home from work, strides at the end
    Friday - back in to work
    Saturday -just up to Tymon and one lap around, strides afterwards

Going to be over distance again this week, just hard to get my head around running less, and when I realise at the end of the week that I'm ahead I don't want to take a day off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Tuesday - run into work, strides at the end
    Wednesday - 'character-building run'. Home from work, eat dinner, running gear and tracksuit on, out for an hour of Little Athletics, tracksuit off and around to the local park for 25 laps in the rain :eek: Getting very bored of this park, but it's an even tarmac path, reasonably well-lit by the streetlights outside, and is almost exactly a km/lap, which is handy. Round and around and around, counting laps, each lap is 4% of the total, so counting percentages... after 15 laps I switched to counting down, but for some reason that was much harder :pac: so back to counting up... about 27k in 2 hours 10, pace did slip a bit in the last few k though.
    Thursday - run home from work, strides at the end
    Friday - back in to work
    Saturday -just up to Tymon and one lap around, strides afterwards

Going to be over distance again this week, just hard to get my head around running less, and when I realise at the end of the week that I'm ahead I don't want to take a day off...

How on earth do you manage to count 25 laps without getting all messed up? If I'm doing a session of 8x1 min hill reps, I have a pile of 8 stones and when I get to the bottom, one gets thrown off the pile. Without my stones I'd end up confused. Good run too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Stazza wrote: »
    How on earth do you manage to count 25 laps without getting all messed up? If I'm doing a session of 8x1 min hill reps, I have a pile of 8 stones and when I get to the bottom, one gets thrown off the pile. Without my stones I'd end up confused. Good run too.

Now that's proper old school!!

belcarra wrote: »
    Now that's proper old school!!

Nowadays we have an app for those kinda things :P

Stazza wrote: »
    How on earth do you manage to count 25 laps without getting all messed up?

I do quite often go through a phase of wondering if I've lost count, on this kind of run or hill reps. I have to think to myself "this is lap 8, finishing lap 8, 8x4%=32... now starting lap 9, this is lap 9, I'm on lap 9, 8 finished, this is lap 9" Sometimes on hill reps that's all I manage to think!

Masters XC today. First XC in almost a year, and I was out until after 3 last night (OH's birthday party) so I wasn't going into this with high expectations, just doing it for the crack really. On the other hand, I expected to be fourth scorer for the team so couldn't take it too handy. Same course as last year but a lot less muddy this time around, only used the 6mm nibs, if a little windier. Start and finish lines seemed to have been moved a bit as well to get the course distance right.
    Lined up for the start in a muddy section of the field, all mixed together rather than lined up by club, and the start was the usual chaos - just try to match the pace of the people around you as much as you can, because the alternative is to fall and be trampled :pac: The first corner was particularly hairy because of a tree stump on the course right on the corner. I knew it was coming but a lot of people saw it late so there were some desperate leaps around it. I probably lost about 50 places in that first desperate charge :pac:, theboyblunder one of the last of them, but then things settled down.
    I really enjoyed the race from then on :) There was no sucking mud anywhere, just a bit of slippiness, so I settled into a very comfortable stride, picking people off in ones and twos all the way around. Passing people out is even more satisfying in a championship race where everyone is wearing singlets :pac: and today it was easy - no long-running battles, just closing in, picking a time to pass, and putting a gap in to stop them chasing. One guy broke past as we turned the last corner but he'd gone too soon and I passed him again when we hit the real finishing straight.
    So - probably too easy overall. Could have gone harder at the start, could have worked harder on the way around, didn't bury myself by any means. Beat at least one guy who finished ahead of me last year, but another was a few places ahead as far as I can tell. But still, I enjoyed it, it was a good session, and there was a good crowd from the club, a lot of them running their first XC, so no complaints from me :)
    (Garmin says 23.03 for 5.98k, 3.51 pace)

Week's total: 92.78k @ 4.56 average

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done Ray, you make xc sound easy - didn't think that was possible!

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done Ray, you make xc sound easy - didn't think that was possible!

The secret is to start too slow :pac:
    Running conditions were much easier than last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The secret is to start too slow :pac:
    Running conditions were much easier than last year

I'm still not going back ;)

really beginning to dislike that park, 20 minute warmup (jog down and 3 laps), 3k tempo (3 more) three minutes recovery, another 3k tempo (3 more) and then an hour easy (12 more)
    21 times around and around and around...

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

You should run in the opposite direction. It'll feel like a new park - for a lap or two....

then I'd be running on my weaker leg ;)

• Advertisement

Monday - run around UCD and home. I spent this run trying to replicate the smooth feeling from Sunday's race, so it ended up being faster than usual.
    Tuesday was the comedown, very slow recovery run into work
    Wednesday the session above. First 3k set I started off feeling slow and heavy, pace was about 3.56 first time I looked at the watch (target was 3.52/53), but gradually increased. Second set was the complete opposite (and more normal), pace was 3.40 when I first checked and gradually eased off. 3.50 overall for the first set, 3.48 for the second. Pace for the easy run afterwards was a little slow, but I don't pay attention to the watch in that section, just do the time.
    Yesterday - easy run. Bit of a delay dropping the kid to training so no chance to hook up with anyone else in the club doing an easy run, just did an over and back over Stocking Lane (past the guys doing their hill session). Most of my routes are pretty flat, I need to work in some more hills. Will probably start doing some runs in Phoenix Park as the days get brighter.
    Today - just an easy 10k up and around Tymon.

Advertisement