Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That went more or less as expected. Tired Thursday, still tired yesterday, and tired again this morning :):rolleyes: Conditions in the park were great for racing, but my legs had absolutely no interest. The funny thing was that I could put in surges any time I liked, and was having absolutely no trouble aerobically, but my legs just refused to go any faster when running 'normally' :pac: It lead to a weird race where every couple of minutes I'd lean forward and close a gap or pass some people out then settle back into a regular stride. Let loose on the final downhill (3.17 for the last k), though even that was very stop-start.
    Official time 18.19, which I think is about 10 seconds off (didn't stop my watch on the finish line:rolleyes:) but I don't mind too much either way. I felt comfortable, like I was moving well. Slowly! but maybe there's a base there to build on. Masters XC and Raheny next month I should go into fresher, and maybe I'll do another parkrun before then - the one downside to today is I don't think I emptied the tank (or didn't have a tank to empty) and that does need practice...
    eta - 18.12 on the chip, sounds about right

93.73 km @ 4.57/km

Why is there a smell of buttered toast every Sunday morning on Peter's Road, when there isn't an open cafe for miles? :confused:
    Who was on a PA at 7am this morning somewhere in the area? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

RayCun wrote: »
    93.73 km @ 4.57/km

Why is there a smell of buttered toast every Sunday morning on Peter's Road, when there isn't an open cafe for miles? :confused:
    Who was on a PA at 7am this morning somewhere in the area? :confused:
    Dat wuud be d mother in law,,,shes a bit of a screamer,and likes a bit of batch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Is 18:19 faster than CL's pb? :P

Is 18:19 faster than CL's pb? :P

who? :confused: ...
    ... oh, didn't she post on boards back in the old days?

• Advertisement

Guilt attack: just got a call from platelet clinic asking could I come in and donate, and I said no, I can't, because I'm training :o

weekend in the life of the best club in Ireland
    South Dublin anyway
    better than Tallaght at least :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

South Dublin anyway

Jaysus, everyone in your club must have won something or other. Medals for all it seems, no wonder there is no winning mentalilty in the club :pac: (in fact your only actual winner won no award :rolleyes:).

menoscemo wrote: »
    Jaysus, everyone in your club must have won something or other. Medals for all it seems, no wonder there is no winning mentalilty in the club :pac: (in fact your only actual winner won no award :rolleyes:).

We reward excellence, and we have a lot of excellent members:).
    (We also have a rule on the adult side that you can't win the same award two years in a row, and she won it last year)

oh, but you've reminded me I left out some awards. Don't worry, these were Dublin athletics awards, not club awards :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

Nice write up Ray
    "The next generation"- hopefully we will be digging that one out in 20 years time to remind them where and when it started- (don't show it to AAI- I don't think 2 yr olds are covered by the insurance!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

South Dublin anyway

Good read and great to see you's going so well, helps keep us on our toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

menoscemo wrote: »
    (We also have a rule on the adult side that you can't win the same award two years in a row, and she won it last year)

:(
    Way to steal my moment guys! ;):P

83.77 @ 4.55/km

distance down, sessions back in. Thursday evening was 6 x 4 minutes on, 3 minutes recovery. I did this on a green where I used to do 800s, extending the second lap. It took a couple of intervals to get the hang of it, its been ages since I did this kind of training on my own, and I was coasting on the uphills. From round 3 on I started finding the right effort level and keeping it going through the lap. It was mainly either uphill or downhill, and the downhills were a good wake-up halfway through the lap
    Other than that, an easy week. Did have to do two 6am runs around purgatory, and a 7am run around Tymon this morning, so far so normal...

84.5 @ 4.51

Two trips to purgatory this week and two sessions, though both sessions were a little compromised by the weather. Thursday evening was supposed to be the same 4 on/3 off session as last week. I think the laps were coming in a little short last week so I extended them this time, but too far :rolleyes: Anyway, pace was all over the place because of the wind, last week I was speeding up on the downhills and working uphill, this week the wind hit like a wall when I turned to go down and blew me up the hills. Only 5 intervals because I had to get back to the juvenile training for some medal presentations :)
    Tempo run today, 20 minutes jog up to Tymon, 20 minutes at pace, and a cooldown. Crazy wind again, the second half of the run seemed to be into the wind every way I went and was joined by some nice icy rain. 3.52 average pace and I was working hard for it, a lot more running at this pace required...

one of the guys in the club put this together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Very good, might have a bash at sth similar later. I see my little one made the cut :D that's her in the screen saver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Good to see you getting back to fitness ray - hope 2014 brings you the running rewards you should have had in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Good to see you getting back to fitness ray - hope 2014 brings you the running rewards you should have had in 2013.

It will need to if he's to justify the title of his log ;)

Are you planning to hold her coat ;) at Raheny or Bohermeen next year?

• Advertisement

Monday was another early run, this time up to Tymon and around, couldn't be arsed dealing with the dogs in the local park. Tuesday was Tymon again,this time for a hill session.The wind was mental so I couldn't do the usual session - I would have been blown up the hill and the walk/jog back would have taken twice as long. Instead I did the hill from the playground to the footbridge. 250m long, mostly sheltered from the wind, but not entirely. About halfway up the woods on the left were interrupted by a path, so the wind blew me sideways, and of course the closer you get to the top of the hill the less shelter it offers so the last 50m I was running through treacle. 12 of those were enough, I jogged home as the sun came up, before I froze completely. Enforced rest day on Wednesday
    Longish run on Thursday, back to Tymon, groin and calves sore from the day off, took at least 30 minutes before I felt ok. Just an hour on Friday.
    Saturday was parkrun day. A few weeks ago I told jcsmum that she should try running some parkruns at an unsustainable pace to push herself out of sheer comfort zone. Also one of my presents this year was The Art of Running Faster, and one of the things the author says he asks new coachees is, when they are running at their limit, what is it that stops them running faster? Between the two I decided that this run was going to be about suffering. I was kind of hoping theboyblunder or someone about that standard would be running too,so I could have chased them for 3k and blown up, but as it happened there were no fast runners along :(
    Got up to Marlay early enough to do a 10 minute warmup jog and then join the DSD-led drills, so by the time we lined up I wasn't feeling too cold. The race sorted itself out very quickly - as usual a couple of kids shot out at the start along with a few other over-eager runners, but by the time we passed the 1k mark (in 3.32) they'd dropped off and I was in 4th. Passed two on the corner and put in a bit of a burst to leave a gap, so there was just one guy in red about 10/15m in front. Worked hard through the woods and around by the football pitch, couldn't hear the guys behind any more, but the guy in front in still 10/15m ahead. Up the hill,running well, but that ****er in red is still 10/15m ahead. By the 3k mark I am toast - mission accomplished! :pac: - breathing is ragged, calves are sore, knees refusing to lift and the gap ahead is widening. At times in the 4th k it was like running on my own, guy in front is out of sight in places, so is the lead bike, and I'm convinced the guy in 3rd must be closing the gap because I'm slowing so much. Finally turn into the concert field again and the sharp left lets me see him, about 15m back, but he must be hurting as much as me because even staggering around the last loop the distance ahead and behind stayed about the same.
    Not a particularly good run (and certainly not a great time) but satisfyingly painful. I was wrecked for a good 10 minutes after the race and have been sore all day, well and truly out of my comfort zone.

Good running ray. Ballsy! The hill is a heartbreaker. I have fresh memories of being in a jocker there. 5k races are evil....

70.45 @ 5.05 for the week
    Supposed to do a longer run this morning but still very sore so only managed a short recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

70.45 @ 5.05 for the week
    Supposed to do a longer run this morning but still very sore so only managed a short recovery

What at what?? Fookin KM's ;)

44 miles at 8.08 average?
    350 furlongs, a minute each?

44 miles at 8.08 average?
    350 furlongs, a minute each?

hahahaha whats that in hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Are you running BHAA x-country on Saturday Ray?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Love that tactic you used in the Park Run, would love to try it sometime, guess it takes a different way of approaching the race (run).

pconn062 wrote: »
    Are you running BHAA x-country on Saturday Ray?

No, next race is the Dublin Masters. I don't like to miss the BHAA races in Tymon and Cherryfield because they're home turf, but four weekends in a row would kill me :(
    Love that tactic you used in the Park Run, would love to try it sometime, guess it takes a different way of approaching the race (run).

It didn't work exactly as planned. I guess what I really wanted was a 3k race at my limit and the idea was that if I was following someone fast enough, their first 3k of 5 would be the same as my 3k flat out. As it happened, there was only one guy ahead of me and he had a good lead from the start (judging by his PB he must have relaxed after the first k) so I didn't get the same effect as if I'd been sitting behind someone for 10 minutes trying not to be dropped. But the main thing I got out of it was that I pushed harder in the first half of the race than I would have otherwise, I knew as I was running that the effort was not sustainable. I think I was getting a little too comfortable recently, and if you're not going to blow up in a parkrun where can you do it?

• Advertisement

Still sore from the weekend. lap around UCD and then home yesterday, but when I checked the plan that lap was unnecessary - a pity as some of it hurt! Recovery run in this morning, first recovery run in a long time (cycling has taken the place of these runs). Think I'll have to skip tomorrow's session and just take it easy to the weekend.

Month|2010|2011|2012|2013
    January|38.8|105.61|187.46|257.13
    February|35.5|106.68|191.79|212.8
    March|53.2|121.83|214|45.93
    April|72|106.33|201.18|51
    May|75.9|107.13|175.21|41.9
    June|90.2|64.85|150.09|89.72
    July|118.1|126.92|242.21|147.92
    August|124.4|168|240.27|173.96
    September|154|171.75|203.69|178.55
    October|108.7|191.2|229|196.88
    November|58.4|128.9|283.87|208.34
    December|83|166.58|285|233.23
    Total|1012.2|1578.1|2604|1837.3

four or five decent months training, and **** all for the rest of the year :(
    Still slower than I was this time last year, expect to be slower in Raheny and probably Bohermeen than 2013, and have no idea if I'll hit my targets for the second half of the year...

Advertisement